Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hakkesshu posted:

Mark Hamill is loving amazing in it.
That's all I needed to hear :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Man come on this is the TV thread :mad:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agreed about the pacing and Hamill. It’s also by far the best-looking Star Wars movie ever, and has a lot of humour I can see people complaining about for being too irreverent for the franchise, but basically every joke landed for me personally.

Man, I really, really liked The Last Jedi.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GreenNight posted:

Man come on this is the TV thread :mad:
Wrong, this is the TV forum. Couch Chat thread :c00lbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can confirm that I sometimes watch movies on a couch

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Escobarbarian posted:

Can confirm that I sometimes watch movies on a couch

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I demand that this be ranamed the recliner thread.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

IRQ posted:

I demand that this be ranamed the recliner thread.

Recliner Rapport?

BTW my show starts in about an hour.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sofa Soiree

:colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Beanbag Banter.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I liked Rogue One, and I would watch a Star Wars spinoff TV series that told some sort of parallel story like that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also: La-Z-Boys and Girls Club of America

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ we have a winner.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rogue One was awesome. I love how that huge budget Disney movie that a bunch of families went to see with kids had this totally bleak ending where everyone loving dies and evil wins. Empire Strikes Back was kinda the same way.

It wasn't a surprise, either. Everyone who's seen A New Hope knew how it turned out before they'd even seen it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also: La-Z-Boys and Girls Club of America

Yeah that's the one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there any point to watching Twin Peaks: The Return if I didn't watch the second half of season 2, but read a good deal about it? What if I also haven't seen Fire Walk with Me? And what if I can't remember much of season 1?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Also The Good Place is great (it is in my top 10), but #1 given how great 2017 was? Nah.

The Good Place has the advantage of having the last third of Season 1 airing in 2017 as well. When you think about the back third of Season 1 and what we've got so far this season it's not hard to imagine someone putting it at #1

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Is there any point to watching Twin Peaks: The Return if I didn't watch the second half of season 2, but read a good deal about it? What if I also haven't seen Fire Walk with Me? And what if I can't remember much of season 1?

Someone more informed than me will tell you properly, but I'd say no. I think Fire Walk with Me is pretty integral to the new season.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

feedmyleg posted:

You'll be completely lost at times even if you have rewatched those recently. Watching The Return is an undertaking that basically requires you to do your homework before you even start it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

feedmyleg posted:

Get a refresher on S1 and the first half of S2. Watch the last episode of S2 but definitely watch FIRE WALK WITH ME as of everything, that has been pretty integral to what happens in S3. You still might be lost, but you'll be less lost.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Looten Plunder posted:

The Good Place has the advantage of having the last third of Season 1 airing in 2017 as well. When you think about the back third of Season 1 and what we've got so far this season it's not hard to imagine someone putting it at #1

That’s a good point. It will be in my top 10 (I might rank it higher than I thought based on your comment).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Man straight couch in the corner... bad juju.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I don't think I saw it mentioned, but seems that one of the hosts of lovely GBBO facsimile "The Great American Baking Show" has joined the ranks of the Disgraced Sex Predators of 2017, so the show has been cancelled and all knowledge of it disavowed by ABC.

It's just as well, I saw the first episode last week and it was unwatchable poo poo. I'll hold out for the Christmas special of the real show.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man American Gods is getting no love in these best of lists

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I apologize for my blind optimism about Star Wars earlier. I saw Last Jedi and it wasn't great. Wasn't terrible either I guess, just didn't leave a particularly strong impression on me like The Force Awakens and Rogue One did.

I should probably see it more than once before I say for sure though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I apologize for my blind optimism about Star Wars earlier. I saw Last Jedi and it wasn't great. Wasn't terrible either I guess, just didn't leave a particularly strong impression on me like The Force Awakens and Rogue One did.

I should probably see it more than once before I say for sure though.

Oi gently caress off with your nay saying, take it to the movie twats sub.

If i get a Star Wars filmed ruined for me in the TV forum i'll be furious. Enough to probably do nothing about it, but ruining my year isn't cool.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Eezee posted:

How is Brockmire? I never even heard of it before seeing that list. I'm pretty happy that Leftovers is high on all these lists. By the third season it easily became the best TV show I have ever seen.

I enjoyed it, but the only thing I really remember is getting into an argument with someone complaining it was creepy Brockmire (Hank Azaria) was hooking up with a "young girl". Which was Amanda Peet who is in her mid forties...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't say I see what the fuss is about for Brockmire after watching a few episodes. Azaria is quite fun and watchable in his role, but the quality of the writing fluctuates wildly, with many setups for jokes ending with characters just staring at each other, and the non-titular characters not really given all that much to do.

Also, I can't help but shake the feeling that it has a hint of ultra-edgy "gently caress the PC police!" lurking just beneath the surface. I mean, it's a show based around the premise that a woman would have the audacity the audacity! to want to explore her sexuality, since it focuses far more on the sexual acts involved than on the fact that she cheated. Heck, pegging got renamed after her, not cheating. From the hints the first couple of episodes have I assume they're going to do something with her character to combat that at some point, but I can only take her being called a whore so many times without other characters commenting on it. But maybe I just need to give it a couple more eps to see its grand plan? I guess I just thought we were done with "my cheating whore wife!" as a legitimate character motivation by 2017.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Brockmire is shown to really not care about her sexual preferences at all and is just upset she lied to him and cheated.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Jean Claude Van Johnson comes out this weekend after a loving eternity.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s out now!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I liked Rogue One, and I would watch a Star Wars spinoff TV series that told some sort of parallel story like that.

Star Wars Rebels is real good. Just sayin.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

Star Wars Rebels is real good. Just sayin.

They all look like Lego.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Just watch a few episodes. If you like it, keep watching it. If you don't, stop.

It's mostly its own thing, with new imagery, mythology, ideas, etc.

It follows the plot continuing from the ending of S2, which is Cooper being trapped, and Evil Cooper being out in the world instead. You need to know that, and know who BOB is, and who Laura Palmer is and who her mother was. The rest is mostly new, though: it's been more than twenty years since the original show, so everyone else is in a completely different place and they just have new stories / roles / etc.

The plot elements that tie into Fire Walk With Me are inscrutable regardless of whether you've seen it or not. Plus, the show has a few extremely blunt scenes where a character just kind of explains the backstory that you need to know.

I would say that at 18 episodes, a slow pace, and tons of 'slack', you might find it boring if you don't remember and/or have attachment to some of the old characters, because most of them don't have particularly interesting plots.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 15, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

They all look like Lego.

Eh, cgi cartoons are getting less poo poo all the time but they still look like what they are.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

raditts posted:

I don't think I saw it mentioned, but seems that one of the hosts of lovely GBBO facsimile "The Great American Baking Show" has joined the ranks of the Disgraced Sex Predators of 2017, so the show has been cancelled and all knowledge of it disavowed by ABC.

It's just as well, I saw the first episode last week and it was unwatchable poo poo. I'll hold out for the Christmas special of the real show.

I mean the name doesn't even work. Your country's called the USA, not 'Great America'. Even post-Trump.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

Eh, cgi cartoons are getting less poo poo all the time but they still look like what they are.

I realise I may now discredit myself but I thought the Clone Wars cartoon looked better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That makes sense since Clone Wars had a larger budget. George Lucas spent a lot of extra money on it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

feedmegin posted:

I mean the name doesn't even work. Your country's called the USA, not 'Great America'. Even post-Trump.

Britain's the name of the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Not Top Gear's second episode this season was also pretty good. They definitely learned from the garbage parts of last season.

• Locked thread