Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

you shouldn't feel jealous

to cash out on that scale you would have had to have survived a gauntlet of:
  • bought a bunch of bitcoins when it was cheap and sat on it for years
  • not cashed out on one of the two earlier bubbles
  • not have used wallet software that had built-in backdoors
  • not have used wallet software that had unintentional security flaws
  • not had your bitcoins on one of many compromised exchanges where all the bitcoins were lost
  • not had your computer compromised through a billion different attack vectors which led to your wallet being leaked. Attack vectors including downloading popular exploitable bitcoin software or visiting popular bitcoin websites where attackers inject XSS attacks
  • not told someone which then resulted in word of mouth leading to someone physically assaulting you to steal your wallet
  • not have used a brute force-able wallet key
  • used a strong key but didn't have your wallet compromised by random brute force
  • not had the majority of miners which control the system maliciously abuse their power too much and cause a systemic crash of the value of bitcoins

you also forgot things like losing your wallet file/key (e.g. in a hard drive crash), as well as irreversible mistakes like transferring to a typo'ed address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

oh yah you also have to avoid accidentally selling all your bitcoins for like 1/10,000th of its USD value

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you also have to avoid having an easily guessable password susceptible to dictionary attacks

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you also need to have avoided just buying stocks or index funds or something instead of a super risky longshot

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you also need to not get too greedy and actually get out before the bubble pops and somehow withdraw over a long period of time when daily USD withdrawal limits are low

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

This other day I had a family gathering and they, the least tech savvy people ever, started talking about bitcoin. Banks here in Sweden are also investing in it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You know the old saying, "When the Swedish banks are giving you stock advice it's time to get out."

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Good plan. I think I’ll take out a second mortgage so that I can short Bitcoin on leverage

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
2010 era BTC hodler donating just under $100M to charity

To be honest this is the first one of these over a couple of mil I've ever seen from an early adopter. Good for him, I'm honestly really impressed.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Man I would love to think that is something I would do but I'd probably just end up being a rich rear end in a top hat or accidentally losing it all when I tried to cash out.

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

kolby posted:

Man I would love to think that is something I would do but I'd probably just end up being a rich rear end in a top hat or accidentally losing it all when I tried to cash out.

according to the website he still has enough to be a rich rear end in a top hat

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

How many bitcoins does a dyson sphere cost, like 1 or 2?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Adar posted:

To be honest this is the first one of these over a couple of mil I've ever seen from an early adopter. Good for him, I'm honestly really impressed.

A bitcoiner who isn't a shithead. A Christmas miracle.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

univbee posted:

you also forgot things like losing your wallet file/key (e.g. in a hard drive crash), as well as irreversible mistakes like transferring to a typo'ed address.

This. I remember reading about bitcoin in 2010 and was going to throw a few dollars on it/mine it on my PC. I'm so glad I didn't because I would've misplaced it by now and I'd just be kicking myself every time I'm sitting in commute traffic.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dude's doing a good thing and I don't want to knock that, but I do wonder if that's a tax dodge. There's not a ton of difference between $10m and $10b of Bitcoins with the hilarious withdrawal limits every exchange has, giving away a bunch so you can avoid taxes on the ones you can withdraw seems like a reasonable enough strategy.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Dude's doing a good thing and I don't want to knock that, but I do wonder if that's a tax dodge. There's not a ton of difference between $10m and $10b of Bitcoins with the hilarious withdrawal limits every exchange has, giving away a bunch so you can avoid taxes on the ones you can withdraw seems like a reasonable enough strategy.
yeah maybe, but of all the tax dodges, that's probably the best one from a moral perspective. at least he didn't launder it or pay some lawyer in bermuda to legally avoid taxes and keep it all to himself

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Legitimate congrats to the guy who essentially won the lottery, and he's already proven to be a better person with money than the most famous rich shut-in

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
gently caress that guy for not reinvesting it in more bitcoin and more graphics cards. Giving the money to charity will only feed the hungry for a limited time, investing in bitcoin is going to change the world forever

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

It would be a thing of beauty, if the tipping point of the bubble popping was the liquidation of holdings by a charity.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Bitcoin industry is keeping the graphics card industry artificially high, pricing out the majority of gamers

why aren't bitcoiners mad at this

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
PC gaming is who has the biggest hardware dick anyway. gently caress em.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

thegasman2000 posted:

PC gaming is who has the biggest hardware dick anyway. gently caress em.

I'd like to get a new gpu though

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fried Watermelon posted:

Bitcoin industry is keeping the graphics card industry artificially high, pricing out the majority of gamers

why aren't bitcoiners mad at this

Bitcoin industry is driving innovation in number of boob polygons that can be rendered per second in my new Steam games.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Adar posted:

You guys don’t get the Soul of Bitcoin. He’s not doing it because he’s nice, but because in his mind it will lead to wider Bitcoin adoption by the public at large

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
So does he donate actual bitcoins or cashes out each million and sends dollars?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
that guy just realized how many decades it would take to cash out $100M and that bitcoin would probably crash well before then

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Paladinus posted:

So does he donate actual bitcoins or cashes out each million and sends dollars?

What do you think

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

What do you think

Well, I don't know. I'm too lazy to read his website. But considering that cashing out a million dollars is probably not an easy thing to do, he just donates bitcoins. But why/how do charities accept bitcoins?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I'm wondering as well, I doubt many charities would want to deal with bitcoin at all. They don't have the technical expertise and accounting is a pretty big deal. They would probably be unwilling to write a tax receipt until they cached out.

From the bitcoiner's POV it would make a lot of sense to donate enough bitcoin at today's market rates to greatly reduce the taxes on the coins you've already liquidated if the charities would agree to it.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Paladinus posted:

Well, I don't know. I'm too lazy to read his website. But considering that cashing out a million dollars is probably not an easy thing to do, he just donates bitcoins. But why/how do charities accept bitcoins?

Quite a few set up a merchant account with Coinbase or Bitpay so they never have to touch the poop.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

divabot posted:

Quite a few set up a merchant account with Coinbase or Bitpay so they never have to touch the poop.

Still a bit unusual. I donate to different charities quite regularly, and I don't think even one accepted bits.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Still a bit unusual. I donate to different charities quite regularly, and I don't think even one accepted bits.

Have you tried telling them you’ll donate one million dollars but in bitcoin?

They’ll figure it out

For your 20 bucks? Ehhhhhh

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I mean, it's a deduction not a credit

If you make 500 mil and you donate 100 mil, you still pay taxes on 400 million and overall have way less money than if you never donated (vs paying taxes on 500 and keeping all of it). The IRS just isn't charging you taxes on the money you immediately passed along, that's all.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Hearty loving LOL that any - literally any - nonprofit would say "no thanks too much of a hassle!" when offered an asset currently appraised at 100M.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stefan Prodan posted:

I mean, it's a deduction not a credit

If you make 500 mil and you donate 100 mil, you still pay taxes on 400 million and overall have way less money than if you never donated (vs paying taxes on 500 and keeping all of it). The IRS just isn't charging you taxes on the money you immediately passed along, that's all.
I thought the way it worked was that, up to some plausible limit, you just said "I gave X to charity" and took X off your tax bill, while of course whatever turd they're pushing through Congress right now changes that.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Hearty loving LOL that any - literally any - nonprofit would say "no thanks too much of a hassle!" when offered an asset currently appraised at 100M.

They're going to have a million and one questions to protect themselves from being complicit in fraud, money laundering, and tax evasion.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Andy Dufresne posted:

They're going to have a million and one questions to protect themselves from being complicit in fraud, money laundering, and tax evasion.

yeah, there's a dude on the YOSPOS thread with this precise problem, how the gently caress to handle a donation of this poo poo sanely. It turns out to be a hard problem from the charity's perspective.

Wikimedia and Mozilla use a payment provider. They're medium-big for charities and get a dribble of bitcoin donations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

HCFJ posted:

according to the website he still has enough to be a rich rear end in a top hat

Here's the original account where he pooled them all and subsequently transferred the 5k from - https://live.blockcypher.com/btc/address/379AhUtKwrrzZ1kRN4W6eJV9UeQLiCwwXm/
He's moved the remaining 4k around a bit more but yeah, that's $68mil left over.

e: here's where his remaining 4k went to - https://live.blockcypher.com/btc/address/1Kr6QSydW9bFQG1mXiPNNu6WpJGmUa9i1g/
I guess that has to be the wallet for an exchange?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Nessus posted:

I thought the way it worked was that, up to some plausible limit, you just said "I gave X to charity" and took X off your tax bill, while of course whatever turd they're pushing through Congress right now changes that.

Big thing with charitable deductions that most don't realize is that you have to have enough deductions to itemize to actually use it. If your itemized deductions are less than the standard deduction then one would take that. Even if your itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction it can often be more prudent to take the standard deduction since there is no audit risk from doing so, unlike itemized deductions.