Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Heck yeah I can't imagine any room for socks or jeans or even spare towels in most of the bathrooms I've used in the US and UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I like the dark, I think with white wooden trim and white ceiling and mid tone walls it could be great. Light colour looks too yellow, but I don't know if that is a relative thing. I asked if there was a middle tone and should hear back soon. What do you guys think?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I think you should have trialled your stains somewhere out of the way where the mismatch wouldn't be too obvious.

Of those two colors, the dark looks nicer on its own, but I'd be a little worried about it making the rest of the room too dark. I like well-lit, bright rooms though, so that's my personal biases speaking.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

If it's too dark, add more lamps. Use the dark.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

When we were getting out floors done we thought we would go with a dark stain and when we saw how they looked with just poly on them we were really happy we went with the lighter choice.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I see - going to try a walnut stain today and see how it goes, and if not go with the light oak - while I think the dark looks very striking and makes the floor into a very obvious feature, my wife doesn't like it at all - and we are a partnership so that's just a no go unfortunately. I've got removals men, utilities, and family all arranged to help on Sunday so I'm getting a bit time-short to chop and change much more.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well, here is the walnut - it's ontop of pine so has been brought a little lighter. The photo is EQ'ed off of warm white lights so is trending towards red/orange more than I think it would in sunlight, but I'm quite pleased:

I know it's going to darken up a little with varnish ontop; which is OK for me. In a balance I prefered the dark oak slightly, but it was just way to dark for my wife to accept - so I think this will be a nice middle ground.

In terms of a colour palette to match, I'd been working under the assumption of using the kinds of colours in the Sherwin Williams 'historic interiors' range: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/pr...arts-and-crafts - do you think that would change much?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I thought you were in the UK?

I know it’s a bit boo hiss the upper classes but I really think you would be very happy with farrow and ball if you have the time to do about 4 coats of paint and are willing to spend the pennies. http://www.farrow-ball.com/colours/paint/fcp-category/list

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My floor looks pretty much like your stain, you'll need a lot of lighting to bring the room up. When I change it I'm going with a lighter Oak.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I am in the UK, and funnily enough was looking at F&B too, I've ordered their paint swatches and was going to get a dulux colour match (or equivalent). I was going to go with French Grey 18 for the living room.

With regard to lighting you may be right - I just don't know at this point, it feels as though everything is a compromise one way or another. Most of the guys I've spoken to love the dark oak, most of the women prefer the light oak, but wife agrees the light oak looks too yellow with this pine.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The problem you will have is that farrow and ball paint is iridescent, as in it changes hue with different lighting. This makes it an absolute bugger to colour match, it’s a lot easier to go off the farrow and ball swatches and get a couple of approximate dulux samples and a tin of white paint and then colour match off the mix you like.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Medium oak floors hide dust well.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm always a little baffled at people making choices based on what "hides dirt/dust well". I understand choosing things which are easier to clean, but hiding it? Clean your fuckin' house.

(exceptions made for situations where you've got something which simultaneously generates a lot of work and mess, like a small child)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I vacuum every other day and yes have a small child too. The small child messes are quite different from the living between two rice fields dust...

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have old coal mine dust. This whole area used to be pits and industry, and it’s amazing that although the last of them were shut down 30 years ago I still get a daily coating of industrial crap on my skirting boards.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm always a little baffled at people making choices based on what "hides dirt/dust well". I understand choosing things which are easier to clean, but hiding it? Clean your fuckin' house.

(exceptions made for situations where you've got something which simultaneously generates a lot of work and mess, like a small child)

I don't want to wash my car daily so I won't ever own a black or white car. Silver, champagne, grey, or other colours "hide" dirt well. While I like a clean house, gently caress cleaning it all the time.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Perhaps the difference is that I can't abide pretention of any form so while I also rarely clean my car I'm willing to own how dirty it is. If I want a clean house I want a house that's clean, not a house that looks clean, so I prefer to be able to see when it isn't.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Perhaps the difference is that I can't abide pretention of any form so while I also rarely clean my car I'm willing to own how dirty it is. If I want a clean house I want a house that's clean, not a house that looks clean, so I prefer to be able to see when it isn't.

I felt this way until I had a kitchen with large black and white tiles. Everything showed on them, including water marks. They only looked clean immediately after thoroughly mopping and drying. It was absolutely maddening and I say this as someone who willingly washes the floor on my hands and knees. There's a range between "hides an unsanitary level of dirt" and "shows every granule or dust mote".

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Just get a Roomba and stop worrying about it

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

Just get a Roomba and stop worrying about it

You don't own a pet that sheds. If I try to vacuum up my dog's shed fur, it clogs up the vacuum in no time.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You don't own a pet that sheds. If I try to vacuum up my dog's shed fur, it clogs up the vacuum in no time.

My Roomba doesn't really clog on the pet hair. Though it can't pick up the big clumps the old dog leaves, so you just have to let it push them out from under the couch for you to be sweep up later.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've got a greyhound who only sheds once a year but I'm sure there would be Armageddon if we got a roomba.

Was recommended to get a satin varnish instead of high gloss for this reason though - just hard to keep from looking immediately marred.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Southern Heel posted:

I've got a greyhound who only sheds once a year but I'm sure there would be Armageddon if we got a roomba.

Was recommended to get a satin varnish instead of high gloss for this reason though - just hard to keep from looking immediately marred.

I too reccomend a satin varnish for a greyhound. A mirror-shiny dog looks great, but it's hell to maintain. They lean against one rough pant leg and the finish scuffs.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm ashamed I had to re read that a few times...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Poodles show the dirt too easily.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Soapstone dogs are where it's at.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jaded Burnout posted:

Poodles show the dirt too easily.

Not if you get a beige colored poodle! Pretty boring from a design perspective, but they wear pretty hard, even the medium shag and deep pile ones. Good to put in a high traffic area or kids room, you won't regret it. They also come in attractive patterns and a variety of colors.

Bad Munki posted:

Soapstone dogs are where it's at.

Just don't drop a knife or heavy pans on it, they're liable to dent. Then again, that goes for most dogs.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I saw some fantastic shiplapdogs on pinterest.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I saw some fantastic shiplapdogs on pinterest.

Shiplabs are so played out.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bad Munki posted:

Shiplabs are so played out.

I've always favored beagleboard wainscoting myself.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Something something Mid-Shih-tzury Modern.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Parasol Prophet posted:

Something something Mid-Shih-tzury Modern.

I was always more a fan of Prarie Dog style, particularly of Frank Lloyd Weimaraner.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 14, 2017

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I've finally found a home in my price range in a good neighborhood. There's a lot of good things with the house that I love. However...

What can I do to make this living room wall better? I'm not opposed to the thought of an accent wall, but that red is way too strong? The wife and I are thinking about repainting the whole room, but should we try to paint based off the wood flooring? The tile? Some neutral color that sits in between? Repaint everything in white?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hecking hotdogs, those are high ceilings. You could try a horizontal or vertical color split, or fill the tv space with texture like bricks/wood tile.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That square transom window :shittypop:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well to start I'd probably move the TV (and I know that's not your's, but incase you were thinking of using that same setup) to above the fireplace and make that the defined sitting area, then I would let that space be what it is, a nice walkway with good room for traffic. What kind of seating do you have? Because Sectional could define that space nicely.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

kimcicle posted:

I've finally found a home in my price range in a good neighborhood. There's a lot of good things with the house that I love. However...

What can I do to make this living room wall better? I'm not opposed to the thought of an accent wall, but that red is way too strong? The wife and I are thinking about repainting the whole room, but should we try to paint based off the wood flooring? The tile? Some neutral color that sits in between? Repaint everything in white?

Oof. You can't unbeige your house with a wall of red. I say ditch the accent all together because you already have two different floorings going and you don't need to divide the space up more. If you're really taken with the idea, then move the accent to the fireplace wall and dial the contrast down. Imagine that wall in a yellow or grey-green, doesn't it seem a lot less overwhelming? Don't base paint color on flooring. Base it off your furnishings/whatever art you want to put up/a color you just like and then use test patches to make sure it looks good with the floor.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It should be noted that I have bright red floral wallpaper as an accent wall in one of my rooms, so I’m sat here thinking “well that looks lovely and cheerful” lol.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

It should be noted that I have bright red floral wallpaper as an accent wall in one of my rooms, so I’m sat here thinking “well that looks lovely and cheerful” lol.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a red wall, especially if you love it. (I have a tiny closet of a bathroom that the previous owner did up in a giant red couch-floral. It's too much and I adore it.) But every other color in that room is overwhelmed by that red, and it just looks like a desperate attempt to add interest to a bland, neutral space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

If you and your spouse aren't oppose to lots of lots of hanging and paintings, May I suggest covering that wall with art? A la Ilya Glazunov’s Studio in Moscow!

It doesn't have to be iconography, but of themes you'd prefer.