Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i'm reading that right now too, it's awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

My Name is Red would be mine.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
just bought Foucault's pendulum to read next, that looks awesome how have i not heard of that before

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I just want to be clear, that wasn't a swipe at Wittgenstein's Mistress, which remains one of my favorite books of all time. Sebald is just easier to follow, is all. WM's byzantine-ness is part of its charm for me.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

derp posted:

just bought Foucault's pendulum to read next, that looks awesome how have i not heard of that before

I think because it was preceded/overshadowed by similar american books like the illuminatus trilogy, which conversely is so obscure here in italy that umberto eco himself never heard of it until long after he wrote foucault's pendulum

I loved that book as a kid, I probably read it six or seven times. silly/adorable thing is, despite the book very explicitly being about the creation of a phony conspiracy, twelfth grade me ended up buying into the conspiracy completely and even adding even more improbable connections to it :kiddo:

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

at the date posted:

I'm having trouble remembering all the books I read this year. Highlights included Burton's Anatomy of Melancholy (and goddamn is that a cool book, with an absolutely beautiful printing by NYRB), Molloy, To the Lighthouse, Foucault's Pendulum, and The Futurological Congress, but what's shaping up to be my favorite, though I haven't finished it, is Rings of Saturn by W.G. Sebald. Reminds me a lot of Wittgenstein's Mistress in the way it leads you subtly through literary and historical connections to the conclusion that humans destroy everything they touch—but Sebald, although performing the same kind of associative acrobatics, is easier to follow. I'm almost done and I'm definitely rereading it right away. e: cool cover, too—

This is all on my to-read list for next year. I started To the Lighthouse but had to stop due to migraine and have yet to get back to it, bought Foucault's Pendulum, and started on a Lem kick but haven't found a copy of The Futurological Congress yet. And The Rings of Saturn sounds cool.

I've read a little over 70 books so far this year (there's time left to make it 80), but quite a few were crap. I finally got around to reading Confederacy of Dunces, which I enjoyed. White Tiger, The Sellout, and My Name is Not Sidney Poitier were are darkly funny, and Black Moses a bit less so. A Brief History of Seven Killings is probably my favorite this year, but Aquarium and The Snow Child were also great. I also loved Tenth of December, since I'm still waiting to read Lincoln on the Bardo, and adored Cosmicomics, and Never Let Me Go. There were also a few SFF books I thought were pretty good (Strugatsky Brothers, Lem), but won't bother to list them here in the non-genre thread.

I'm also coming to realize Vonnegut's lesser work is really meh. Maybe instead of looking for his stuff I haven't yet read, I should just read his good stuff again.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 15, 2017

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

at the date posted:

I just want to be clear, that wasn't a swipe at Wittgenstein's Mistress, which remains one of my favorite books of all time. Sebald is just easier to follow, is all. WM's byzantine-ness is part of its charm for me.

You ever read anything by Christine Brooke rose? Thru is the best book I read this year and you might be into it if you're into byzantineness

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

CestMoi posted:

You ever read anything by Christine Brooke rose? Thru is the best book I read this year and you might be into it if you're into byzantineness

No, I've never even heard of her. What's up with this book, what's good about it

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
being made fun of for my poo poo tastes so that i can find better stuff is like 90% of phiz's utility, for me, but i appreciate how it's not for everybody

also what good poetry came out this year, i've read like nothing from this year

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
okay, any book that opens with someone watching flies gently caress on their knee has my attention, added to my list

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

at the date posted:

No, I've never even heard of her. What's up with this book, what's good about it

It's written from the perspective of the collective unconscious of a creative writing class. Their writings and thoughts are inextricable from each other and there's loads of lingustic play and the prose is great. It caused her to get sacked by her publisher on 'economico-typographic grounds'

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Anyone that can get me information on how to purchase brooke-roses critical essays on pound will be handsomely rewarded

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

derp posted:

okay, any book that opens with someone watching flies gently caress on their knee has my attention, added to my list

That's Out by Christine Brooke rose you dolt

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yeah well the only one i could find on amazon was all 4 clumped together so that's what i looked at the preview for

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
derp im worried that we may have misunderstood one another. ive never made fun of your reading habits or called you an idiot because i wanted to spur you towards better things; i agree that that would be unproductive. i've made fun of your reading habits and called you an idiot because they suck and you're an idiot. i hope this helps. namaste

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

welcome back chernobyl k

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
thank you its been a difficult week for me

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

CestMoi posted:

Anyone that can get me information on how to purchase brooke-roses critical essays on pound will be handsomely rewarded

I read A ZBC of Ezra Pound earlier this year, online here. It's quick and engaging. I don't quite remember the details, but essentially she breaks down some very difficult passages in the Cantos to show how fun it can be, and then says "now you do it."

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

the only book by her that ive seen irl is the one where some kids are communicating with an alien computer through a chat parser or something, it looked sort of neat but i think her other work sounds more interesting to me

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Yeah she made kind of cool sci-fi after people called her stuff too difficult and obtuse and refused to read it but people were wrong and her difficult books are cool. She wrote a book without using the copula a year before perec did la disparition

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Bandiet posted:

I read A ZBC of Ezra Pound earlier this year, online here. It's quick and engaging. I don't quite remember the details, but essentially she breaks down some very difficult passages in the Cantos to show how fun it can be, and then says "now you do it."

I actually found this about 2 seconds after making that post but I'd also like to buy a hard copy because they're way easier to flip thru and remember cool bits of

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

CestMoi posted:

I actually found this about 2 seconds after making that post but I'd also like to buy a hard copy because they're way easier to flip thru and remember cool bits of

https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?...0ezra%2520pound

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
also, iīm perfectly happy to help ppl get into reading more demanding or interesting literature, but i wouldn't like it if this place turned to r/literature with their endless circular discussions about nabokov, mccarthy, pynchon, vonnegut and whatever Great New American Author is the flavour of the day. they're cool and all that, but after a while it sort of becomes a noise that drowns out everything else, especially since their readers outnumber ppl who read lispector or w/e. and chernobyl k or a humana heart dropping some burns might help against that and also ppl just dropping in to say "but literature is a genre just like sf/f, checkmate nerd!" so

anyway, i'm getting close to the end of 'long day's journey into the night', which i think i'd kinda avoided till now because i'd read of translation issues, and for some reason i thought it'd be a boring french dude saying edgy things about how war sucks for 500 pages. well, it's fun and funny, and there's a whole lot more going on then just the war bits. I really liked his african odyssey, including the end where it sort of turns into a fever dream with some great descriptions, like a piss-drunk conrad. now his friend tried to blow up an annoying old lady to get 10 grand from her family, but everything went up in his face, so now he's blind, and the old lady saw it and is crazier than ever, so the narrattor is v happy to get a couple of thousand franks to shove them off to a monastery. it's great, almost as good as švejk.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
The "Misery!" scene in the burlesque house is probably my favorite, but the bullying on the ship to Africa is a close second.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

After The War posted:

A couple questions: What kinds of things do you like to read about, and what do you consider “modern?” As pleasecallmechrist said, “big-L” literature (emphasis on prosecraft, dealing with large issues and themes) doesn’t exclude good storytelling, and plenty of celebrated “big-L” authors cross into and borrow from established genres. So you can still get what you’re looking for and read mysteries, or spy thrillers, or sci-fi/fantasy, or crime dramas, or…

“Modern” can mean a lot of things, but one common interpretation is post-WWII, which seems consistent with your tastes. Anthologies are a good way to get a sample of who’s been noted and influential over a certain timeframe, and you can find ones that have been assigned for college coursework cheap if they’re an edition or so behind. I’ve been working through “The Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction: Fifty North American American Stories Since 1970” I still have from a class fifteen years ago, myself.

You may also want to look into literature in translation - the trend over the past few decades has been for very clear, direct prose, so you may discover new authors that way. Bookstores and libraries (if such things still exist in your area) are good for flipping through editions and seeing if the prose style is something you could get into.

edit

Hekk fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 17, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm about 40 pages in to A Glastonbury Romance, which is an insanely long book by an eccentric british man, and so far its mostly about how everything is connected to some kind of universal mind or conciousness, and also there's a guy who really wants to gently caress his tiny breasted cousin because of how english she is.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Best books I've read this year were easily The Melancholy of Resistance and Lincoln in the Bardo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Just read Babyfucker. I dont know what I expected. I probably expected what I got. It was good.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Does anyone here like Wilhelm Busch? That was probably my favorite thing to read as a kid. 19th century German humor was great.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Burning Rain posted:

also, iīm perfectly happy to help ppl get into reading more demanding or interesting literature, but i wouldn't like it if this place turned to r/literature with their endless circular discussions about nabokov, mccarthy, pynchon, vonnegut and whatever Great New American Author is the flavour of the day. they're cool and all that, but after a while it sort of becomes a noise that drowns out everything else, especially since their readers outnumber ppl who read lispector or w/e. and chernobyl k or a humana heart dropping some burns might help against that and also ppl just dropping in to say "but literature is a genre just like sf/f, checkmate nerd!" so

anyway, i'm getting close to the end of 'long day's journey into the night', which i think i'd kinda avoided till now because i'd read of translation issues, and for some reason i thought it'd be a boring french dude saying edgy things about how war sucks for 500 pages. well, it's fun and funny, and there's a whole lot more going on then just the war bits. I really liked his african odyssey, including the end where it sort of turns into a fever dream with some great descriptions, like a piss-drunk conrad. now his friend tried to blow up an annoying old lady to get 10 grand from her family, but everything went up in his face, so now he's blind, and the old lady saw it and is crazier than ever, so the narrattor is v happy to get a couple of thousand franks to shove them off to a monastery. it's great, almost as good as švejk.

I liked how Zola the murder plot was

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I have a hard time picking just one that was the best this year, but Satantango and The Class (Ungar) is probably my top two

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
There's been a lot of talk about Lincoln in the Bardo in this thread. Is it an appropriate book for a novice or is most of it going to be flying over my head?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Ras Het posted:

I liked how Zola the murder plot was

yeah, i can see that. actually, there are quite a few places where the book reads like a parody (or a straight homage) of some classic or another. it would be fun to dig all that stuff up (and my edition has more than 300 endnotes), but for now i'm just reading it straight thru and enjoying whatever comes my way

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

OscarDiggs posted:

There's been a lot of talk about Lincoln in the Bardo in this thread. Is it an appropriate book for a novice or is most of it going to be flying over my head?

You'll be fine.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

OscarDiggs posted:

it's pretty weird, but also very accessible. the fictional wrinkles and what saunders is doing formally are fun, but not necessary at all to enjoy a very imaginary telling of a fairly basic story.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

cant wait to ask my wife to buy me a book called "babyfucker" for christmas

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Tim Burns Effect posted:

cant wait to ask my wife to buy me a book called "babyfucker" for christmas

I am afraid I will get put on a list if I Google the book title. What's the author's name?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Urs Allemann

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

t's hard for me to write about my likes and dislikes without making this sound like I am listing all the smart books I've read.

The Hobbit
Robinson Crusoe
The Great Gatsby
Pride and Prejudice
Slaughterhouse Five

ok now list the smart books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

OscarDiggs posted:

Its great. When you're reading it, you will feel some internal resistance due to some of its unconventionalities. Just relax and allow the book to be what it is. Eventually you will slip into its groove and you won't be fighting against it, you'll be with it.