Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Googling lawyer butt to find joke material turned out to be severely disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://vimeo.com/140492031

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Dusty Lens posted:

Star Wars was better before it went mainstream in 1979.

I'm sure, here in the Star Citizen thread, we can all agree that superfans are loving idiots.

-someone who has been to every Star Wars premiere since esb.

TLJ was great, instantly my 3rd.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hi9jNbNTRo&t=390s

:gary:

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Krycek posted:

Star wars is over hyped hot garbage. Space monks with laser swords, in space. :barf:

It's me, the one guy on SA who isn't a star wars nerd.

But seriously, all the cross promotional, product placement crap has gotta stop. Laser swords don't help sell JeepsTM

It's has become this yes. New Hope and Empire are legit. Empire is a great movie. In my opinion made Star Wars Star Wars. Jedi was the beginning of the end. Ep 1-3 sealed. I won't go back for 8.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dusty Lens posted:

It's going to consist of twelve pages explaining the timeline of SC's collapse and how he knew it would happen followed by roughly 1800 pages shifting randomly between yelling about people on reddit, photographs of his twitter feed and feverish fanfiction describing what the game would look like if he had made it.

It'll ship with a 10% off code for Line of Defense.

Derek won't be able to publish his magnum opus until G0RF writes his.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7jur44/jump_point_year_three_shipping_cost_is_35_thats/

$35 for an 8lb book? shipped international? I dunno if that even checks out

This poo poo never stops being funny. Backer funds project for CIG. Then CIG makes poo poo in China for cheap using backer money. CIG Sells poo poo back to backer at a profit. Pledge moah!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7jur44/jump_point_year_three_shipping_cost_is_35_thats/

$35 for an 8lb book? shipped international? I dunno if that even checks out

This poo poo never stops being funny. Backer funds project for CIG. Then CIG makes poo poo in China for cheap using backer money. CIG Sells poo poo back to backer at a profit. Pledge moah!

As an aside, at least the email he received about the shipping price confirms Alexis is still working there :unsmith:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Hahaha. Well sure CIG could bite the bullet and pay to ship a couple pallets to a distribution point in the US but probably better to offload $60,000 in collective individual shipping costs to the backers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm disgusted with myself for remembering you posting those same sentiments on the SC forums.

I should have learned how to play the harmonica.

I don't actually come up with new ideas anymore, I just repeat the same things and hope nobody notices.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Fargin Icehole posted:

Saspariller, I still can't believe you threw in four fuckin' thousand, backed out, and threw it in again. My god man. I know you won't hear the end of it, but I gotta tell ya, you're much better off than most people when it comes to this scam.

Hopefully you can't believe it because that's not what happened.

But I'm glad to be out regardless.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
One common defense I keep hearing from SC fans is that Cryengine proved to not contain all the features required to realize Chris's vision, therefore it was inadequate, therefore Crytek failed their obligations and it is fair that Chris seeked another engine.

I would like to remind those people that the contract was signed on the 20th of november 2012, well before the scope increase, the plans to integrate planetary technology and the 1001 new things.

If one signs a contract to license Cryengine to do X, you can't blame Crytek for not achieving X + Y, that's just common sense.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Derek's book (which I'm buying when it comes out) will be at least 8lb ...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

lol look at this dude who thinks I play enough to grind fed rank and I'm not just trying to make million credit passenger runs on the weekends

I also space truck, but sometimes you just have to play helicopter.

tooterfish posted:

Do the million credit passenger runs for Federation allied factions and you'll magically grind Fed rank without even noticing.

It's how I was grinding Empire rep for a while, space trucking around Cemiess.

DapperDon posted:

This. This is glorious!

Target the company, 1 reactor only. You may litigate when ready.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Dusty Lens posted:

Hahaha. Well sure CIG could bite the bullet and pay to ship a couple pallets to a distribution point in the US but probably better to offload $60,000 in collective individual shipping costs to the backers.

More likely dropshipped direct from factory via Chinapost (8 week slowboat service) for $3, with CIG collecting $32 "handling" for each item in the order.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

That would assume that CIG is around long enough to handle distribution. Safer to just have people pay to get it directly from China.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

The game is amazing, looks amazing, plays amazing and is executed flawlessly.

The engine is garbage and nothing works because of Crytek.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Golli posted:

More likely dropshipped direct from factory via Chinapost (8 week slowboat service) for $3, with CIG collecting $32 "handling" for each item in the order.

This would make me very happy. However my butt lawyer is whispering that it seems like if you charge for shipping pocketing that money might be a no no?

Disregard all of my posts on international shipping logistics. I don't know anything about anything and I don't want someone to quote me and say the thread is bad again. I don't need that blood on my hands.

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 15, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Golli posted:

It may well turn out to be a matter for state bar discipline - a lot depends on things we don't know.

Not really. It's not within the scope of the lawsuit and you need actual complaints to trigger an ethics investigation, which can lead to being disbarred. It took Jack Thompson multiple contempt judgements, plus being a dick to get disbarred.

Skadden threw that in there to reinforce their case.

:justpost:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crazypoops posted:

Made this last night and forgot lol

:five::five::five:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Nyast posted:

One common defense I keep hearing from SC fans is that Cryengine proved to not contain all the features required to realize Chris's vision, therefore it was inadequate, therefore Crytek failed their obligations and it is fair that Chris seeked another engine.

I would like to remind those people that the contract was signed on the 20th of november 2012, well before the scope increase, the plans to integrate planetary technology and the 1001 new things.

If one signs a contract to license Cryengine to do X, you can't blame Crytek for not achieving X + Y, that's just common sense.

Things that are funny 4 years later.

AP fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 15, 2017

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truecon420 posted:

Star Trek:
DS9>TNG>TOS>VOY>ENT. ???DIS

These rankings are canon

They are entirely canon.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm going to immediately sacrifice what little nerd cred I had by saying that I enjoyed the new Star Wars. It was very pretty at any rate. Lots of nice cinematography of beautiful environments. No spaceship tractors, though, so it still has to bow before the true king of sci-fi cinema.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

AP posted:

Things that are funny 4 years later.

The last letter hinted at the $65 million stretch goal: a revamp of our modular ship design drawn directly from player feedback. As Star Citizen stands today, the ships are extremely customizable. You can switch engines, thrusters, guns, missiles, turrets, sensor suites, scanners, cargo pods and some interior ‘seats’ (and much more.) Starting with 1.0, we’ve added the first iteration of the technology for a paint system that will allow us to create promised skins and ultimately let you alter your ship’s exterior appearance. For 1.0 it is used to handle the various paintjobs for the variants. But longer term this will allow us to give everyone the skins they have backed for and ultimately this system will allow for some user generated paintjobs!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

what a time to get sick and be away from the thread for a couple days.

space.

court.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

big nipples big life posted:

space.

court.

How many posts did you miss?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dogeh posted:

How many posts did you miss?

2800ish, I skimmed a bunch last night.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

shitizen posted:

The dumb thing is that the $35 isn't a lot of money for me. Yesterday I spent $28 on lunch, so you'd THINK I wouldn't care... but I do, for some reason.

Just to be clear, this guy is not a poor. please don't kick him out for being a poor.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Has anyone said "Space Coutts" yet?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Derek, I always believed in you. No need to thank me, maybe just a mention in the book.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

big nipples big life posted:

space.

court.

wow, bad timing :(

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

if backers are just now getting mad about the espresso machine, do you think we should tell them about the private barista and the space door?

Wooglin
Sep 5, 2002

Golli posted:

Re: Ortwin (and Carl Jones) being named in the complaint.

While there may be some bar-related actions against Ortwin as a result, I don't think this was included to exclude Ortwin from participating in the defense.
Simply put, Crytek had a remedy available to them. If Ortwin did not satisfy them in terms of recusing himself during the contract negotiation, they could have simply not signed the contract until they WERE satisfied.

I think the reason they are named is to demonstrate that CIG legal (Ortwin and Carl Jones), by virtue of their past history with Crytek, were intimately familiar with the terms of the license agreement, and therefore the interpretation should be less generous to the defendant.

Typically, the burden is more heavily upon the company who wrote the contract, and this is an attempt to level the playing field in this regard.

In other words, any CIG argument of 'Crytek just gave us pages of gobbledygook to sign, so we did. We didn't really know what all the terms meant, so if we promise not to do it again, can we just call it a lesson learned and move on?" should be off the table.

My thoughts exactly. Those two are included to at least draw an inference CIG was getting very favorable terms. It is also to demonstrate that CIG knew what the terms were when it breached due to the negotiators on both sides working for CIG at the time of the breach.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

if backers are just now getting mad about the espresso machine, do you think we should tell them about the private barista and the space door?

None of those things cost as much as being on a yacht in the harbor for the Monaco GP.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D_Smart posted:

the single worst possible thing they would do, is let this go to discovery.
I disagree.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't actually come up with new ideas anymore, I just repeat the same things and hope nobody notices.
Join the club.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Dusty Lens posted:

This would make me very happy. However my butt lawyer is whispering that it seems like if you charge for shipping pocketing that money might be a no no?

Disregard all of my posts on international shipping logistics. I don't know anything about anything and I don't want someone to quote me and say the thread is bad again. I don't need that blood on my hands.

Isn't that why they call it "Shipping and *Handling*"? Grabby hands don't come for free.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

The espresso machine will be called to the stand as an expert witness since it as about the only thing there that does its job properly.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That would assume that CIG is around long enough to handle distribution. Safer to just have people pay to get it directly from China.

This is to punish backers for all those unsold XS shirts that Sandi stores in Ben's office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Palpek posted:

lmfao, next thing you know twitter basement dwellers will discover how much an office renovation costs. There are a lot of things to hate about CIG but a cost of a nice espresso machine at a 200+ people office isn't one of them.

My company’s gross revenue is 8 figures, we make >40% margins, and we have a dinky Krups you could get at Macy’s for 50 bux on sale, and it works fine.

CIG’s espresso machine is symbol of Chris Robert’s delusional world view and his garish sense of self. This kind of premature extravagance just screams “Mission Accomplished.” Star Citizen was never really about making a game, it’s a parable of vanity.