Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I ordered 10 in hopes that we get at least 1 copy. It's looking that grim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Just read Rai Vol 1 and picked up Bloodshot Salvation since it was at my local comic shop.

Rai Vol 1 is pretty cool. Wasn't expecting a cyberpunk story in a Big Brother-esque Japan with a story centered on the descendant of Bloodshot. The mystery was a little obvious, though, if you're reading Bloodshot. I mean, it's basically the same reveal: your entire life is a lie fed to you by your government and you need to make a new identity for yourself while destroying the agency that took your family away. My main issue is Rai is less engaging of a character than Bloodshot as he is so reserved to Bloodshot's more extrovert nature. I suppose it's going for that kind of archetype of the Japanese warrior where they are silent, calculating, and deep thinkers compared to Bloodshot's never-ending-action-movie. Different strokes, different folks.

Bloodshot Salvation looks cool, but jumping ahead has left me a little confused. Don't tell me, but I am curious to find out more about this Kid Bloodshot. Sure it's explained in the previous issues so no spoilers.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

You know I actually like Khari Evans' people and the clarity of his action sequences is pretty good, but ever since around Harbinger v5, his backgrounds are just really obvious and obnoxious filtered photos. It's very distracting. The thing is I know he can do better, too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I got to see the Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe panel at NYCC. The whole thing is supposed to be about 70 minutes long. No ETA on its release, but there's going to be a tie-in comic coming out early in 2018. We got to see three scenes:

- The first ten minutes or so of the first installment. A drunk Colin King meets up with a female operative at a hotel and they flirt. Right before he hears about what his next mission is, a group of ninjas attack through the window. King fights through a bunch of them, including snapping one's neck with his tie, but they overwhelm him and get their hands on the operative. Roku appears, points out that she has Neville's wife and kid captive and demands Ninjak steal some special artifact from MI6. She kills the female operative with her hair (looking like a better effect than Medusa in Inhumans, albeit smaller in scale) and injects Ninjak with nanites that essentially make his eyes a video camera for her. The dialogue is beyond cliche and Roku's acting is painfully over-the-top, but at least the fighting is good.

Ninjak, fully in costume, infiltrates MI6 and has the whole place out to get him, including Neville. Ninjak tries to make casual small talk with him, but doesn't tell him about why he's stealing from them. The scene ends rather abruptly, supposedly because a name character is about to show up.

- The introduction of Archer and Armstrong. The two are at a bar where Armstrong charms four women about how he was there when the Cesar salad was invented. Archer is to the side, dominating some guys in pool. He admits that he doesn't like to gamble, but insists that their money is going to a charity for kids. He tries to give one of the patrons a sticker star for his donation, but his hand is knocked away. Archer then gets a phone call from Neville and tries to get Armstrong's attention, but he's too busy being accosted by the pool losers for talking to their girls. One throws beer in his face and Armstrong throws him through the bathroom door, where a drunk guy turns in shock while pissing and accidentally pisses all over the victim. As they leave, Armstrong takes the charity jar from Archer and uses it to pay for their drinks.

Live-action Archer is essentially Kenneth the Page, only his friend is the immortal one.

- The introduction of X-O Manowar. Short scene of Aric hanging out in the mountains with the armor orb floating nearby. It starts to glow as if it was an alarm. Aric removes his shirt, looks off from the top of a cliff, touches the orb, becomes X-O and flies off.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The Shadowman/Rae Sremmurd comic is probably the best single issue of Shadowman in years. Messed up if you think about it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm nearing the end of Act IV of the reading list. I finished off Unity and am about to hit the third trade of Rai followed by Death Drop. Then that Book of Death stuff.

Since I intend to write up a massive, detailed reading list at some point once I get caught up, I keep coming up with quick character descriptions in my head to explain Valiant heroes and villains to new people. It's a fun mental exercise:

- James Bond Batman

- X-Men Runaways

- Humorless Deadpool

- Xavier at his worst mixed with Magneto at his best

- Hercules and Taskmaster Ned Flanders

- Generic Ghost Rider

- Maximus from that batshit Gladiator 2 screenplay that never got picked up

- Jean Grey Cyborg

- John Stewart and Booster Gold's Clerks

- White Trash Captain Marvel Jr.

- Skrull Bugs

- If Iron Man's armor had the Mjolnir worthiness gimmick and was worn by Namor

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol yeah I've noticed that a lot of Valiant characters have Marvel analogues, though I'd say Bloodshot is more "almost exactly Wolverine" rather than Deadpool.

Dead Drop is actually pretty bad, though the art is excellent.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

zoux posted:

though I'd say Bloodshot is more "almost exactly Wolverine" rather than Deadpool.

Eh, Wolverine and Deadpool are more similar than different these days.

Continuing on...

- Quentin Quire Driven by Rapist-Guilt

- Cosmonaut Genie

- Psychic Mega Man Nick Fury

- Basically Just Dr. Who

- Fancy Pennywise

- Flying Bayley

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
She would be very offended at being called the doctor

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 18, 2017

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

zoux posted:

Dead Drop is actually pretty bad, though the art is excellent.

The overall story is just kind of there, but I thought it was filled with some strong character moments. X-O's outright refusal to let innocent people die in the name of the greater good, Archer choosing to actually listen to what the hacker kids had to say, Beta-Max showing pathos despite being a joke concept, etc.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

For those who've read Eternity: Why is Myshka wearing a Watchmen shirt? Doesn't that kind of undermine Valiant's posturing about being above the Marvel/DC fray? "Look at creatively bankrupt DC, exhuming Alan Moore's narrative bones yet again to cash in on Watchmen. Oh hey, check out this Watchmen reference before Doomsday Clock begins!"

Just a knee-jerk reaction. Also, despite claims from Valiant to the contrary, Eternity is totally "Divinity 4." I enjoyed reading it, I just don't like some of the promotional language that led up to it. Divinity has a solid track record. Own it!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Was it just me, or did the final issue of Faith and the Future Force have some unusually spotty art?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"Spotty" describes so much of F&FF.
It was an odd but endearing time-travel boss fight for a couple issues, then deflated to feeling like a shrug. I could see it working as a Futurama episode, but Valiant's cast needed something more in their wheelhouse to do. Would've been better as an annual issue for Faith.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Space Fish posted:

"Spotty" describes so much of F&FF.
It was an odd but endearing time-travel boss fight for a couple issues, then deflated to feeling like a shrug. I could see it working as a Futurama episode, but Valiant's cast needed something more in their wheelhouse to do. Would've been better as an annual issue for Faith.

I feel and think it's just filler as poo poo is about to go down with the harbringer war 2, and do not want to really do anything with the characters until then

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I think Valiant's revival is having a second peak. According to Bleeding Cool's retailer report, some retailers reported Bloodshot Salvation and X-O Manowar outselling Amazing Spider-Man last week. They must be selling hot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zoro posted:

I think Valiant's revival is having a second peak. According to Bleeding Cool's retailer report, some retailers reported Bloodshot Salvation and X-O Manowar outselling Amazing Spider-Man last week. They must be selling hot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, we sold six copies of the newest ASM and 6 copies if Bloodshot so it could happen.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I mean, we sold six copies of the newest ASM and 6 copies if Bloodshot so it could happen.
I know. I'm just saying that if it happened at two stores out of however many Rich polls, they could say it was "some" and be both true and completely disingenuous. And we all know how BC's reporting goes.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Endless Mike posted:

I know. I'm just saying that if it happened at two stores out of however many Rich polls, they could say it was "some" and be both true and completely disingenuous. And we all know how BC's reporting goes.

It was weird how they titled it "some legacy titles actually went down post-relaunch" when some were postive or just apathetic over Legacy. Or last week when they titled it "legacy is dead on arrval" when some were very positive over Thor 700.

Hmm, thinking about it now...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So far most Legacy books are actually selling worse than the previous month's issues.

Eternity is a hit for us and we're going all in on Quantum & Woody because Valiant rules and made it fully returnable.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Justa reminder for my fellow Valiant HC collectors.

The Secret Weapons HC collection is initially a Local Comic Shop Day edition available tomorrow. I don't think they've said that this will be the only edition but I see nothing about a mass market version being offered any time soon so if you need a HC edition I advise you to get to your shop tomorrow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Double postin' to say that a standard OSHC of Secret Weapons has been solicited but no word if all the extras from the LCSD edition will be included.

Also I can't believe I waited to read this series because it's amazing.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rhyno posted:

Double postin' to say that a standard OSHC of Secret Weapons has been solicited but no word if all the extras from the LCSD edition will be included.

Also I can't believe I waited to read this series because it's amazing.

Thanks for sharing updates on this book as you hear stuff about it. No shops near me could score the LCSD edition, but if there's some other way to get a OSHC of Secret Weapons on my shelf, I'm a happy camper.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Cross-posting from the digital comics thread, and because someone needs to keep this thread alive:

Valiant's finally on board the insane digital sale train!

Hard to go wrong with anything. For those fresh to the Valiant universe, here's a handy planning chart:

Harbinger and Bloodshot cross over in two good events, Harbinger War and Armor Hunters. Events done right.

Harbinger also leads into Imperium, which is better than Harbinger in many ways.

Archer & Armstrong and Quantum & Woody have a standalone crossover, The Delinquents. It's all good.

Rai leads into 4001 A.D. and it's all good.

The whole Divinity series is cool.

Most of Shadowman is bland, as is Dead Drop. Everything else is pretty much can't-miss.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 29, 2017

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I just finished reading Secret Weapons. I want more. January can't come fast enough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In celebration of the new Q&W launch next wednesday I just ordered a goofy rear end pair of blue sunglasses to complete my Woody cosplay.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://twitter.com/PREVIEWSworld/status/941533362753294341

:woop:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Andy Diggle. Yuck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jordan7hm posted:

Andy Diggle. Yuck.

The only terrible thing he did was Daredevil.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

The only terrible thing he did was Daredevil.

It was so terrible it soured me on everything with his name on it.

I may need to revisit his other work if you’re saying that though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jordan7hm posted:

It was so terrible it soured me on everything with his name on it.

I may need to revisit his other work if you’re saying that though.

His Adam Strange mini is legit excellent. His Green Arrow wasn't bad really.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The Losers is good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

The Losers is good

I totally forgot about that and yes it is good and pretty much why we had high expectations of his Daredevil.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can't be worse than Justin Jordan

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Q&W #1 has totally sold out at Diamond so they dropped a second printing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142628277054

And they only printed one copy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I love Valiant

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Get a load of this fool

https://twitter.com/ValiantComics/status/943576344948076545

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Thanks to a comic they just released, I found out they were making a movie.

I went cool.

So, I went to look it up.

Found the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQcLClgLfkg

Oh.

Oh no...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah that's like a year old or more. It's just a short Youtube web series, not a movie. Looks great for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Vin Diesel is in actual talks to play Bloodshot.