Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Big Tony Martin isn't impressed either:
http://www.tony-martin.de/en/

He makes a good point. Would this have been kept under wraps for over two months had it been some unknown kid from Kazakhstan? I think we all know the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

There was also the same accusations of coverup during the Contador positive, the news only became public shortly after the press, I think German, discovered the story and were preparing to publish.

Xabi posted:

Chris "I have never failed a test" Froome has come out in full force to explain why his body is chock-full of drugs:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-i-havent-broken-any-rules/

Ross Tucker from sportsscientists.com

quote:

Chris Froome and disease sure are good for one another. The story is that his asthma flared up at the Vuelta, hence the change in dosage. There was also the chest infection for which he took prednisone a few years back – most people don’t dominate the most challenging endurance events in the world when they are in optimal health, but Froome does it when at his worst. Wiggins, recall, was so stricken that he needed emergency meds flown in via Jiffy Bag, and he went on to win the Tour de France?

Being ill is a tremendous benefit for an elite Grand Tour cyclist. Quintana and Nibali should try it. Either that, or pharmaceutical companies are getting great testimonials for how well they work.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
He and the team were informed back in September weren't they? Plenty of time to either find the supporting excuse they need or concoct a cover up.

Looks like two riders have been banned for high doses of this but at least one was able to explain it sufficiently to get off?

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/jaksche/status/940907544171761664

lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Chris Froome is a loving piece of poo poo, Sky should lose their license and UK cycling should be banned from the next Olympics

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Tsaedje posted:

He and the team were informed back in September weren't they? Plenty of time to either find the supporting excuse they need or concoct a cover up.

Looks like two riders have been banned for high doses of this but at least one was able to explain it sufficiently to get off?

One did because he was able to replicate the reading due to dehydration I believe. It was nowhere near as high as this though.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Who is the last Tour de France winner that was never involved in any serious doping allegations? Can’t come up with anybody, must’ve been before my time (which started with Indurain)

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Carlos Sastre

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cadel Evans too

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
There's pretty much no correlation between allegations and whether or not they were doped to the gills.

The only correlation is results and being a professional rider.

willemw
Sep 30, 2006
very much so

BabyFur Denny posted:

Who is the last Tour de France winner that was never involved in any serious doping allegations? Can’t come up with anybody, must’ve been before my time (which started with Indurain)

Depends on how "serious" you want your allegations:

Nibali (but Astana)
Sastre (but Spanish, and riding for Riis)
Schleck (but his brother, and also riding for Riis)
Evans (but he met with Ferrari 11 years before he won)

So I'm gonna go with LeMond in 1990

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah but, LeMond....

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Xabi posted:

Big Tony Martin isn't impressed either:
http://www.tony-martin.de/en/

He makes a good point. Would this have been kept under wraps for over two months had it been some unknown kid from Kazakhstan? I think we all know the answer.

:3: on integrity. Though I guess he's only talking about the process, not that he's explicitly clean.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Are there former pros that have really detailed what goes on in regard to doping? I guess most of them don't say a lot because they'd have to implicate themselves which could cause issues if they ever won anything...and there's always the proof and liability for making claims bit

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Levitate posted:

Are there former pros that have really detailed what goes on in regard to doping? I guess most of them don't say a lot because they'd have to implicate themselves which could cause issues if they ever won anything...and there's always the proof and liability for making claims bit

There is Tyler Hamilton's book The Secret Race is prob the most comprehensive.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It's a good book

That hotel bit though :stare:

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Indurain is not squeaky-clean, but he doesn't draw attention to himself and that's a huge contributing factor to his image.
The great Merckx got caught in 1969 using an amphetamine in the Giro.

Charly Gaul won before there was any testing for performance enhancing drugs, but he was a notorious tweaker and his domestiques feared he would die.
He spent the better part of his live in a hut in the woods after his retirement because he went a bit loopy.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

The reasoned decision in the Armstrong case was pretty informative.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

McQuaid is said to be wanted for questioning in relation to a drive by on Friday evening

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-froomes-salbutamol-case-is-troubling-and-worrying/

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Giro Rosa features the Zoncolan this year. Thats a bit unexpected.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I really hope the push for more coverage means we'll get it next year. The audience for womens road racing is there but the coverage isn't, and it sucks.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Dumoulin confirmed as riding the Giro. :getin:

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Why do breaks usually have a rotating paceline instead of single file? I can't find any information on it being more efficient.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Probability to minimize whining and italian hand gestures

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

moctopus posted:

Why do breaks usually have a rotating paceline instead of single file? I can't find any information on it being more efficient.

You’re trying to stick. Easier to do that and spread work over the entire group instead of massive pulls by individual people. This is assuming that they’re willing to work together and sometimes people have to do most of the work because they have stronger race incentives for it to stick.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

moctopus posted:

A chain gang is the most efficient way to share workload as it prevents people taking really short turns.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Thanks guys!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

moctopus posted:

Rotating paceline is a more efficient single file, the guys on the outside line are pretty much just spinning their legs. 2 lines is a sign it's well organised and people are taking short turns in order.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Writing was on the wall at Trek World a couple months ago.

“Everyone who was on a Emonda rim-brake bike in 2017 will be on a disc-brake bike in 2018 in every race. That means all of the climbing guys,” Shriver told Cyclingnews. “Before the concerns were weight, wheel-changing and safety. Now with rounded edges, bikes at 6.8kg, it’s just about having the wheel change as fast as or faster than caliper brakes.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Passing through Adelaide after attending a wedding in the Barossa Valley, happened to drive past Peter Sagan on our way out.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
RIP women's TDU finish line.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-11/hay-truck-crashes-tour-down-under-finish-line/9320758

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Didin't think I'd love the Education First kit as much as I do.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I didnt from the pictures but on the bike it looks a lot better. Same with the Moviestar but it's rather Astana like

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
First botched finish of the year :getin:

https://twitter.com/carlosarieloch4/status/953963456675418112

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

The best part of this stage was the camera man berating the moto rider from 30-15km to go 👌

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

He couldn't have asked for a better leadout either. He just spent too much time trying to measure the field and didn't go with 250m left.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Lol, that's just lazy.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

kidsafe posted:

He couldn't have asked for a better leadout either. He just spent too much time trying to measure the field and didn't go with 250m left.

I think he was trying to give the win to his leadout man, just really dumb

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

paddyboat posted:

I think he was trying to give the win to his leadout man, just really dumb

Maybe, but it makes no sense to let anyone by Caleb win the sprint this early in the race. Also no mention of that in post-stage interviews. You can clearly see that he looked over his shoulder once at ~400m and again at about ~250m, and by then it was too late.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Is this on a UK channel, its usually on eurosport but I cant see it on the schedule tonight and I want to watch Porte sprint up Willunga Hill again.