Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

loquacius posted:

and also that she wrote a book called "Catwings," which was about cats that had wings

Tell me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

loquacius posted:

My childhood memories are that the first Earthsea book was really good and they got weird after that

and also that she wrote a book called "Catwings," which was about cats that had wings

I only accept that world if spiders also get wings, or as I like to call them "Spiderflys"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Tell me more.

The concept was all I can remember from third grade, but luckily Wikipedia is here to save us

quote:

Mrs. Jane Tabby can't explain why her four precious kittens were born with wings, but gladly she's grateful that they are able to use their flying skills to soar away from the dangerous city slums where they were born. However, once the kittens escape the big city, they learn that country life can be just as difficult!

In closing, the large novel being read by that Zelda character is clearly a compilation of Le Guin's magnum opus, the Catwings mythos

consisting of "Catwings," "Catwings Return," "Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings," and "Jane On Her Own: A Catwings Tale"

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

loquacius posted:

Earthsea, much like Hitchhiker's Guide, is one of those trilogies that have five books in them :v:

Huh, you're right. Weird, I never even heard of those last two and I've read those books more than a dozen times

loquacius posted:

My childhood memories are that the first Earthsea book was really good and they got weird after that

That is very much accurate. The later two books are still pretty good, but A Wizard of Earthsea is one of my all-time favorite fantasy novels. Shame that the movie adaptation sucked sooooooooooo much

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The Earthsea cycle is the original trilogy, Tehanu, The Other Wind, and a collection of short stories called Tales from Earthsea.

Her books in the Hanish cycle are really good too: Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed etc. Welp, everything I have read from her ranges from really good to amazing.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

axolotl farmer posted:

The Earthsea cycle is the original trilogy, Tehanu, The Other Wind, and a collection of short stories called Tales from Earthsea.

Her books in the Hanish cycle are really good too: Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed etc. Welp, everything I have read from her ranges from really good to amazing.

The Hanish cycle is miles better than Earthsea and I'm making the disappointed face of the-adult-who-is-above-childrens-things at all of you.

(But for people who enjoy YA as a genre, she has a newer series called Annals of the Western Shore that's also pretty great)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

axolotl farmer posted:

You forgot "Coming of Age in Karhide", a short story that goes into very specific detail how the genitals of those people in Left Hand of Darkness work. Le Guin is awesome as heck but she's also a real weirdo.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You forgot "Coming of Age in Karhide", a short story that goes into very specific detail how the genitals of those people in Left Hand of Darkness work. Le Guin is awesome as heck but she's also a real weirdo.

Considering how often ball crushing (among other things) comes up in Stephen King works, it seems like being something of a weirdo is required to be good at writing.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

They fly at Ciron?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Songbearer posted:

You might think I'm being harsh on Zelda but I actually think this is a lot of fun and don't mean any spite

By all means, I just thought it was funny how people became fixated on the candles. In the artist's defense though, the deadlines is pretty heavy and few cartoonists manages to build up buffer strips. At least one cartoonist suffered a nervous breakdown because of the workload and had to go therapy.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My favorite comic here is Zelda. Is like brain candy to clean the feel of the other comics. I can't read this thread for long periods of time because how dense stupid are some comics. (But all the people here is nice, so thanks for posting!).

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Panel one is the one for me. Then again, they all do it for me.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 15, 2017

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

They should really fire that guy.

I guess Gorrell can't be that lazy if he's also doing other people's cartoons.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Alhazred posted:

By all means, I just thought it was funny how people became fixated on the candles. In the artist's defense though, the deadlines is pretty heavy and few cartoonists manages to build up buffer strips. At least one cartoonist suffered a nervous breakdown because of the workload and had to go therapy.

Was that M?

I guess I have to see the movie to get this one, because I am at a loss.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 15, 2017

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I need to bookmark this guy's Twitter for just after the bubble pops.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rincewinds posted:

Was that M?

Yeah.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Ahh yes your electronic currency will maintain value after the collapse of civilization without the power infrastructure necessary for its existence because blockchains

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

"How can it be a bubble if it keeps getting bigger?" :psyduck:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The FBI was lead astray by the dark side but ultimately redeemed themselves?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Tei posted:

None of the Dragons of Pern books is so thick, so she must be using the cover to hide inside a Edgar Rice Burroughs novel.

I loved the first book but it all quickly went downhill for me.

Things I had trouble dealing with:

Underdog heroes that ride teleporting dragons that can travel in time and solve problems by just going back in time and fixing them before it happens
The whole "thread" threat is never really elaborated on. I expected something sinister behind it or for the threads to actually develop on the planet with an infestation theme but it never goes anywhere.
They probably killed Fax way too soon because the books keep referencing him as the biggest bastard that ever lived but we only get a glimpse of it before they kill him off. A full book with him as the major villain would have been neat
The final book features neither dragons, riders nor Pern. Just a horse girl tending horses in space :v:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Retromancer posted:

Ahh yes your electronic currency will maintain value after the collapse of civilization without the power infrastructure necessary for its existence because blockchains

They plan on maintaining it via shortwave radio and privately-launched cube sats. No, really.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

The thing is that, anyone with a brain knows it is a bubble, who is causing it and how they are doing it. It has been revealed consistently, but loving bitcoiners, man.

crossposting

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 15, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Law and order is evil when they go after the guy I like.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Based on the latest polls, Trump voters like the FBI and the Russia investigation more than they like Mitch McConnell.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I can't figure out if this is supposed to be pro- or anti-bitcoin. It can't be a coincidence that bitcoin is represented by "easily broken thing filled with air" in every frame.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I can't figure out if this is supposed to be pro- or anti-bitcoin. It can't be a coincidence that bitcoin is represented by "easily broken thing filled with air" in every frame.

I'd say it's definitely pro-bitcoin. I mean, the last panel is that outside of the bubble is a blasted landscape while inside is still green and able to support life.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rincewinds posted:

Was that M?

I saw it last night. This comic makes no sense.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

That doesn't look remotely like even a funhouse mirror version of Daisy Ridley. Two Pulitzers.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Bitcoin man had to sell his arm and now can't get out of his bubble house

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

This guy's pretty clearly part of the Daily Stormer's posse, after I read their style guide. His comics vacillate between pop culture, specifically targeting gamers, to encourage sharing, right wing "jokes" and really, really explicit racism.

Also, you know, gab account, hatreon account, etc.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

I don't understand why Forrest Gump is fist bumping with a black lady??

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DariusLikewise posted:

He's from Alabama?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
lol at making integrity white

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

DariusLikewise posted:

I assumed it was a reference to the end of the matrix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ozBRWmZuF4

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

They look so loving tired of this poo poo.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

This guy's pretty clearly part of the Daily Stormer's posse, after I read their style guide. His comics vacillate between pop culture, specifically targeting gamers, to encourage sharing, right wing "jokes" and really, really explicit racism.

Also, you know, gab account, hatreon account, etc.

Is there never an "are we the baddies" moment when they sign up to hatreon

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rincewinds posted:

I haven't seen it yet either, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that neither has Ramirez. It's just thing happened + popular thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zanzibar Ham posted:

lol at making integrity white
I assume there's a specific reason they had to be "integrity and pride" because then at least he didn't make Pride white, which would definitely have been worse

• Locked thread