Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is too cool

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/941453544363671553

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Hit 10, played a few hours of ranked.

It's fun, but turf war seemed more fun. I was really looking forward to 10, but now it seems there's no goal to go towards.

Give it time, Ranked is fantastic and like someone else said the "goal" is to increase your skills and see how far you can rank up.

Have you tried all 4 modes yet? Also wow, I just found out about Clam Blitz and the Splatfest today. I was going to be mostly spending time with my girlfriend this weekend, who just got back into town but no time for that now.

Edit: Team Xmas Socks! Cold toes are the leading cause of death everywhere ever. You can't stop the sock

Deltron 3030 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 15, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Team Sock is gonna clean house tonight.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

This is rad, but seeing people singing squiddish is slightly unsettling for reasons I can't quite describe.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

This is rad, but seeing people singing squiddish is slightly unsettling for reasons I can't quite describe.

It just makes me wonder how much of it is a defined language at Nintendo for people to actually sing it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it's like "Oh poo poo that's a person and not a sound effect"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

jetpackhewy posted:

It just makes me wonder how much of it is a defined language at Nintendo for people to actually sing it.

The lyrics are gibberish written in katakana. I don't remember why I know this, but I know I have seen the lyrics sheet in a BTS video or screenshot.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CodfishCartographer posted:

it sincerely breaks my brain and now i want to see the in studio recording of a person saying Woomy

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

played for the first time in a couple months so i was a few updates behind. loving the new n-zap-- autobombs own and tenta missles are a fun "fire and forget" type weapon. glad to see walleye is back in rotation. not crazy about the new music.

might play some splatfest rounds this weekend, i dunno!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Reminder that today is star wars day and if you don't want to risk spoilers you can disable splat net posts in the options.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 15, 2017

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
the vocals sound normal if you were ever a mars volta fan

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

:woomy:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This kinda fucks me up because it doesn't seem normal to see squid voices come out of humans
Also they look nothing like Pearl or Marina

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Playing Clam Blitz makes me wish Splatfests would incorporate ranked match modes into the event somehow.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Mutant Standard posted:

the vocals sound normal if you were ever a mars volta fan

lmao too real

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

jetpackhewy posted:

The Inkling language is just a bunch of Japanese characters strung together. There are actual lyrics to the songs, but it's essentially just a bunch of noises strung together that don't really mean anything in the end. Octarians speak a little differently, as can be seen from Marina's lyrics.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Inkling language is just a bunch of Japanese characters strung together. There are actual lyrics to the songs, but it's essentially just a bunch of noises strung together that don't really mean anything in the end. Octarians speak a little differently, as can be seen from Marina's lyrics.

Takoluka posted:

The lyrics are gibberish written in katakana. I don't remember why I know this, but I know I have seen the lyrics sheet in a BTS video or screenshot.

Thanks for this! I love the amount of work they put into this game. Even if it is just gibberish, it's still astounding that they provided lyrics that fans can jam with. :allears:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Goodguy3 posted:

Playing Clam Blitz makes me wish Splatfests would incorporate ranked match modes into the event somehow.

Same here but i understand the logic behind 24/7 turf. Also in 2 with the inclusion of the splatfest only maps, the work involved with making 4 extra variants for ranked modes that only exist for 24 hours would be well beyond what anybody would be willing to do probably

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 26, 2017

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Goodguy3 posted:

I'd probably still play a Splat Zones Splatfest but there is no way I'd even bother with a Tower Control or Rainmaker where everyone has the same ranking.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Walleye is even worse in Splatoon 2. At least in Splatoon 1, it was easier to push out of spawn with the specials in that game, but now you really can't do that nearly as easily if the enemy team traps you.

Also Sting Ray is horrible to deal with on this map. Imagine if the Killer Wail lasted 4 times as long, and that's what you've got here.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 15, 2017

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

The difficulty of pushing out of spawn on Walleye has not changed since the first game. Specials don't factor into the equation at all, because if you're locked in spawn, you will never be able to charge your special to begin with. It doesn't matter if you have the Kraken or the Baller as your special if you never have it.

The Sting Ray problem is one that will probably never be easily fixed, because if they nerf it too much, it goes back to being worthless, and it only feels like such a problem (which it is) because the specials in this game are so much weaker than the specials in the first game. They could potentially cut the duration a bit, but the issue with that is that if they cut it too much, then the wide beam will never be usable.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Dr. Fetus posted:

Walleye is even worse in Splatoon 2. At least in Splatoon 1, it was easier to push out of spawn with the specials in that game, but now you really can't do that nearly as easily if the enemy team traps you.

Also Sting Ray is horrible to deal with on this map. Imagine if the Killer Wail lasted 4 times as long, and that's what you've got here.

I agree, it's great. :woomy:

That aside, it's apparent after a few plays that the side alley leading up to their area is an important route that teams tend to overlook easily, which leads to surprise attacks from the rear. That usually means that I have to defend it because the squidiots like to ignore it even if it costs them the match.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
:siren: Splatfest Schedules :siren:

• US/AU/NZ Xmas Sweaters vs Xmas Socks @ December 15th 21:00 PT / December 16th 00:00 ET / December 16th 16:00 AET

All Splatfests last for 24 hours.

We're close to starting the fest, so get ready. This goes double for Splatfest Teams. Start arranging your team.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Well I am full-on horrendous at Clam Blitz so far, but enjoying it.

Yes We Clam

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Mr Grizz, why would you send them out to die with a Gootuber?

They're just squidkids Mr Grizz, they don't deserve to go out like this. Give them a fighting chance at least! :negative:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

good thing all the other weapons this sesh are straight up murdermachines

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, this rotation is okay. Rapid Pro isn't bad, and Splattershot and Splat Dualies are really good. Shame that the Goo Tuber really kind of brings it down.

Fortunately, the next rotation is going to be much better. Dapple Dualies, Splattershot Pro, Splat Brella, and the Dynamo Roller! The best part? This shift is on Lost Outpost. The Grizz has decided to bless us. :getin:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 16, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

LET THE BLOOD SPILL! :black101:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

team sock getting annihilated today blurgg

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

This is a dumb shifty station. It's kind of like what i imagine splatoon tdm would be

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

alf_pogs posted:

very much experiencing the same on team sweater

had a game where i had 11 kills with the second place having 2

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Marina's war crimes against map design continue.

Seriously, this is not a good stage, and I see why the ink spreaders have not been used outside of single player.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

alf_pogs posted:

I'm not helping, I did some practice yesterday and I was doing really great in turf wars on the new map, but today I'm failure in sockciety. :smith:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im gad everyone's having trouble cause we on team sweater aint done nothing but lose

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gaffle posted:

This is a dumb shifty station. It's kind of like what i imagine splatoon tdm would be

Bwuh? A BAD shifty Station?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There was one good one I think in the last splatfest. With the mini ink rails and a few ledges around open space. Literally every single other shifty station huffed turds. Looking forward to trying this one tomorrow though, to see what it's like

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I feel like this is a repeat of Splatoon on Wii U all over again. I step away for a few months to play another game, come back, and everyone is better than me and I am horrible. I have won 20% of my last 50 matches.

Like... the begining of this game was the sweet spot for me. I was kicking rear end, I knew the few maps it had really well, I had a solid main weapon that wasn't nerfed. Now it's like, wtf am I doing. All these people playing are levels 50+ just can't hit these fucker before they hit me.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Astro7x posted:

I feel like this is a repeat of Splatoon on Wii U all over again. I step away for a few months to play another game, come back, and everyone is better than me and I am horrible. I have won 20% of my last 50 matches.

Like... the begining of this game was the sweet spot for me. I was kicking rear end, I knew the few maps it had really well, I had a solid main weapon that wasn't nerfed. Now it's like, wtf am I doing. All these people playing are levels 50+ just can't hit these fucker before they hit me.

It can be frustrating at times when you can't seem to find your flow, but that's usually a sign to try something different with your set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Astro7x posted:

What weapon were you trying to use? Though unless you were at like the highest skill level or something, chances are your choice of weapon won't matter that much.

I suggest practicing some aiming drills if you want to get back into the grove of aiming well. They're a good way to warm up before getting into matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XloXds3GldU