Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Guy Goodbody posted:

How are you determining the gender of a cat from above?

X chromosome determines hair color in cats. Only way to get a mix of colors is to have multiple X chromosomes, which means either a female cat or something weird like XXY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/itsSupercar/status/941450843903029249

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

La Brea Carpet posted:

3PO was always anal retentive. a pain in the rear end.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

:perfect:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Phanatic posted:

X chromosome determines hair color in cats. Only way to get a mix of colors is to have multiple X chromosomes, which means either a female cat or something weird like XXY.

Yeah male torties exist, though rare, and they are always sterile.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Phanatic posted:

Like a Rush song?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

DandyLion posted:

Like a Rush song?

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah Getty Lees exist, though rare, and they are always sterile.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

So is the kind of cat that looks like it's wearing a tuxedo a single chromosome pattern kind of thing? My parents and I have had a few of those as I grew up, all male. My Dad's first one he found as a stray in his early 20's who apparently was male enough to make more cats and unhappy apartment neighbors before he was neutered. Ironically for this conversation, he though he was a girl at first and named him Virgina or something like that,and when he found out it was male changed the name to Virgil, which I think is a way cooler name.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought I knew a lot about cats but uh

Coloration being linked to sex is blowing my mind

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

This seems like a good moment to post the best version of that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsoCe7C4Kmk

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

iirc calicos are almost all female and all sterile as well

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

How about this: a cat can have kittens from multiple different fathers in the same litter.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Odds of Surviving this are... 2:1.

or

Now we know what happened to his arm.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

syscall girl posted:

iirc calicos are almost all female and all sterile as well

look above to refresh your memory :)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The gene that determines orange or black fur is present on the X chromosome. For a tortoiseshell/calico, a cat must inherit one of each gene from each parent, something only possible for a female or a male with a chromosomal abnormality. The resulting phenotype is a cat that is neither black nor orange, but has random patches of both over her entire body. Patches of white, as in tuxedo cats or calicos, come down to another gene entirely, a form of piebaldness which is not sex-linked. Actually, in general cat coat genetics are insanely complicated. My favourite cat colour mutation is the siamese coat pattern, which is a temperature-sensitive deactivation of an enzyme involves in melanin production. Warmer areas of the body have a reduced ability to produce melanin, while the cooler areas of the body -- the face, legs, and tail -- are more or less unaffected, and are normally pigmented. Siamese kittens are born white, because in the womb they're uniformly warm.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
What I always found weird was how yellow cats are mostly male. Like only 20% of yellow cats are female. I wonder why that is.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My guess it's a recessive gene only found on the x chromosome. A female cat will need to have it on both x chromosomes and inherit from both parents, whereas a male would only need it from the mother.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I've heard white cats with blue eyes have a higher incidence of deafness than other cats. Heterochromatic white cats are also more likely to be deaf in the ear that corresponds with the blue eye.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What colour is the most powerful type of cat?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Baronjutter posted:

Pink

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RoboRodent posted:

My favourite cat colour mutation is the siamese coat pattern, which is a temperature-sensitive deactivation of an enzyme involves in melanin production. Warmer areas of the body have a reduced ability to produce melanin, while the cooler areas of the body -- the face, legs, and tail -- are more or less unaffected, and are normally pigmented. Siamese kittens are born white, because in the womb they're uniformly warm.

This is very interesting. One of my cats is like a "reverse siamese": it is white where siamese are usually black (legs and most of the face), I wonder how that happens.

edit: the cat (he is called Feioso)

edit 2: that aint a funny picture at all, sorry. I forgot which thread I was in, though it was the cute thread or the cat pictures one

Elias_Maluco has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Dec 15, 2017

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

This is very interesting. One of my cats is like a "reverse siamese": it is white where siamese are usually black (legs and most of the face), I wonder how that happens.

edit 2: that aint a funny picture at all, sorry. I forgot which thread I was in, though it was the cute thread or the cat pictures one

He looks like a cutie. :3:

My guess, from what I can see, is this is a layering of things. Genetically a black cat, with the siamese point mutation, and then a piebald gene on top of that which affects the paws and muzzle. Cat genetics are complicated, like I said. Is his body the buff sort of colour siamese cats have?

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Baronjutter posted:

black or golden eyed, depending on alignment

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RoboRodent posted:

He looks like a cutie. :3:

My guess, from what I can see, is this is a layering of things. Genetically a black cat, with the siamese point mutation, and then a piebald gene on top of that which affects the paws and muzzle. Cat genetics are complicated, like I said. Is his body the buff sort of colour siamese cats have?

Yeah, I guess so. Its a kind of light yellow-brown color

Anyway, thanks for the explanation

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

How about this: a cat can have kittens from multiple different fathers in the same litter.

It's really obvious if you learned basic biology or sex ed and think about it a moment. Most sexually reproducing species can, including people. Doesn't come up often, but there's at least one twins' fatherhood dispute that ended with three people becoming aware of the fact, and I wish I could have seen all of their faces.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

BioMe posted:

It's really obvious if you learned basic biology or sex ed and think about it a moment. Most sexually reproducing species can, including people. Doesn't come up often, but there's at least one twins' fatherhood dispute that ended with three people becoming aware of the fact, and I wish I could have seen all of their faces.

heck, babies can even be chimeras with multiple fathers

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Baronjutter posted:

Orange.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ok good, I want to minmax to get the most healthy and powerful cat in the current known meta.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

There's a deaf orange tomcat somewhere in my old hometown.

My parents have a black/brown female norwegian forest cat that's usually on pills, but once in a while they let her run go free if anyone wants kittens, and they always come out short haired, all black or orange, and often deaf. And twice we have encountered stray deaf orange kittens that have nothing to do with my parents' cat.

Or it's a super powerful gene.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

heck, babies can even be chimeras with multiple fathers

Man, that's something I want to see lawyers try to figure out.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

I love a good User Name/Post combo.

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Your handsome boy is a snowshoe siamese, a breed resulting from the crossbreeding of a Siamese with an American shorthair. Looks like he's got a bit too much white on him to be breed standard but he is still beautiful!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

look above to refresh your memory :)

Wait, torties are the same as calicos? Mind blown I guess.

e: I picture torties as being darker colored with patches of orange and calicos as lighter with patches of orange and or black :shrug:

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Dec 15, 2017

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

he has a dick and balls on his face, so it still works here.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer angel posted:

Tortioseshell cats are exclusively female.

that sounds like bullshit

edit: I see that there is a new page where this has been discussed extensively, but it still all sounds like nonsense to me.

Guy Goodbody has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Dec 15, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

edit: I see that there is a new page where this has been discussed extensively, but it still all sounds like nonsense to me.

It's genetics. Some traits are carried on male chromosomes, some on female chromosomes.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm sorry, you're an idiot. It's just like how colour blindness is much more common amongst men.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Calico cats are basically exactly the same as color blind humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hahah what the gently caress