Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

PT6A posted:

It's not a huge deal, I got spoiled on the big thing last time round. There's a difference between that and going in having read critics' opinions of the whole film, down to theme, tone, cinematography, etc.

I thought the part where Kylo Ren holds the melted Darth Vader mask up to his face and says "Luke, I am your father" during the climactic fight scene was a bit too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's not a Serious Issue That Matters and I get that done issue care at all, but none the less gently caress anyone who spoils media for others.

Absolute garbage people.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Bloop posted:

It's not a Serious Issue That Matters and I get that done issue care at all, but none the less gently caress anyone who spoils media for others.

Absolute garbage people.

It's very rude, but on the other hand, gently caress people who make media that's so weak that a spoiler significantly detracts from the viewing experience.

Is there anyone in the past 40 years who's watched Psycho without knowing the twist? Is it quite as good as watching it "clean"? Who the gently caress knows, but it's certainly not bad even if you're not surprised.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PT6A posted:

It's very rude, but on the other hand, gently caress people who make media that's so weak that a spoiler significantly detracts from the viewing experience.

Is there anyone in the past 40 years who's watched Psycho without knowing the twist? Is it quite as good as watching it "clean"? Who the gently caress knows, but it's certainly not bad even if you're not surprised.

You can't even watch movies with twists anymore, because the trailer will say "the call is coming from inside the house."

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

PT6A posted:

The Terminator is the good guy this time! was the first one that got me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

China is the only place in the world where it comes out in like a month instead of today because China is dumb and bad, so I've accepted the internet will get me before I see it. Also I'm one of those people who thinks KOTOR2 is the only genuinely good Star Wars story so I don't care that much.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Grand Fromage posted:

China is the only place in the world where it comes out in like a month instead of today because China is dumb and bad, so I've accepted the internet will get me before I see it. Also I'm one of those people who thinks KOTOR2 is the only genuinely good Star Wars story so I don't care that much.

But the two Force Unleashed games were fun as heck to play.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Please don't talk about crappy Star Wars stuff in the good Trek(Orville) thread.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Premise: Isaac and C-3PO disagree on some minor point, and debate it, with increasing venom but never cracking their perfect manners and politeness.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just can't wait for Malloy to somehow posses the Infinity Gauntlet.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You all just want that Howard the Duck crossover

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Baronjutter posted:

This sounds like a serious problem, if only movies had some sort of system for letting parents have a hint regarding their content or age-appropriateness.

The problem here is that the US system is completely broken, to the point where anything and everything gets an R rating because Americans are giant babies when it comes to people hearing a sweat word or seeing a titty. People are conditioned into ignoring the rating because for every R rated movie that has genuine adult violence/gore/horror there’s a perfectly fine movie that got an R rating because it has a couple of swear words in it or a nipple.

For the record, Having seen Deadpool; there isn’t anything in it that I wouldn’t be perfectly happy letting a 12 year old see.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The ratings are a bit outdated. If you say gently caress more than three times, it goes from PG-13 to R.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The ratings are a bit outdated. If you say gently caress more than three times, it goes from PG-13 to R.

My favourite example of this is Stand By Me, which is a really great family movie; that our teacher got us to watch in grade 8; but in the US it’s R rated. It also blew my mind when I learned that they censor the swear words out of movies when they air them on TV in the US.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Find me a 14 year old boy who doesn't say gently caress more than three times every 90-120 minutes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Find me a 14 year old boy who doesn't say gently caress more than three times every 90-120 minutes.

I doubt you'd find anyone over the age of 10.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My brother in law lets his 10 year old son play GTAV, And let him play watchdogs 2 even after I informed him of the nudist colony.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I had trouble stopping my four year old from yelling "BUTT BANG!"

Context: There's a level in Super Mario Odyssey where you have to herd a sheep around some obstacles but to get over some you have to throw your hat at it's rear to send it flying. After five minutes of trying and failing at this, my kid starts shouting "BUTT BANG!" every time I throw the hat at the sheep.

And for several days afterward at random times in public for no reason at all because I laughed the first time he did it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I had trouble stopping my four year old from yelling "BUTT BANG!"

Context: There's a level in Super Mario Odyssey where you have to herd a sheep around some obstacles but to get over some you have to throw your hat at it's rear to send it flying. After five minutes of trying and failing at this, my kid starts shouting "BUTT BANG!" every time I throw the hat at the sheep.

And for several days afterward at random times in public for no reason at all because I laughed the first time he did it.

Could be worse, you could've been playing Twilight Princess and his go-to phrase could be GOAT IN!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kurieg posted:

Could be worse, you could've been playing Twilight Princess and his go-to phrase could be GOAT IN!

We need a :getin: emote but with a goat

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I, too, judge the media I consume by the standards of 14-year-old boys.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Lord Bude posted:

The problem here is that the US system is completely broken, to the point where anything and everything gets an R rating

It's even worse than that. It used to be that if an upcoming movie was slated to receive a G rating, the Hollywood shitfuckers would add a few swears to bump it up to PG, because people would see a G an assume it was a bland movie for kids. Lately they've started bumping PG movies to PG-13 this way too.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The simple rating system for movies today is dumb in the information age. Even the TV rating system is more nuanced.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Powered Descent posted:

Premise: Isaac and C-3PO disagree on some minor point, and debate it, with increasing venom but never cracking their perfect manners and politeness.

Frasier theme song plays

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
iirc The King’s Speech rated R because the therapist discovers that Albert can speak without stuttering if he swears so there’s a scene where he says “gently caress” like ten times in a row and then there’s no swearing anywhere else in the film. That always struck me as pretty funny.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Xibanya posted:

iirc The King’s Speech rated R because the therapist discovers that Albert can speak without stuttering if he swears so there’s a scene where he says “gently caress” like ten times in a row and then there’s no swearing anywhere else in the film. That always struck me as pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBomMo-b2mE

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Xibanya posted:

Rated R for Royalist garbage

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TheScott2K posted:

But our nazi-sympathizing king who used all his influence to push for appeasement and alignment with the nazi's was a hero of the people!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gynovore posted:

It's even worse than that. It used to be that if an upcoming movie was slated to receive a G rating, the Hollywood shitfuckers would add a few swears to bump it up to PG, because people would see a G an assume it was a bland movie for kids. Lately they've started bumping PG movies to PG-13 this way too.

I guess a few charred corpses and dismemberments are passe now.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Lord Bude posted:

My favourite example of this is Stand By Me, which is a really great family movie; that our teacher got us to watch in grade 8; but in the US it’s R rated. It also blew my mind when I learned that they censor the swear words out of movies when they air them on TV in the US.

Yippe-ki-yay Mr. Falcon

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
My recollection is that the South Park movie was going to get an NC-17 rating until they cut some of the swears out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Actually they added more swears and a subplot about a clitoris and warned they'd send it with more and worse stuff until they got an R.

Hence the title "Bigger Longer and Uncut"

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

TheScott2K posted:

THIS made me laugh. I feel bad that I've attempted to catch the general "gist" of the comments from the ENTIRE orville thread at once and I was overwhelmed and I would just like some simple aggregate SA ideas about this thing.

AT first I thought it was the "un-funniest-trying too hard, good special effects but not any real story" like they couldn't figure out if they wanted to be a comedy or straight up Star Trek. It wasn't funny. The first couple episodes seemed to attempt to hit Original star trek levels of important topics and try to light them up in an absurd way.(which I think is one of the absolute most important functions of fantasy and sci-fi overall)

And for a couple weeks I really hated it for being so bad when it could have been so good! And then it randomly got a little bit better. But still, I'm confused.. they had such a good idea for the season ender and there are lots of parts that I really like, particularly the David Bowie Futurists coming back up to meet them and telling them "yep, we grew out of that religion crap. It didn't matter that YOU did it in particular. We would have worshiped some other dumb poo poo til we figured it out". That was some DEEP poo poo for network tv!!

Yet still the entire presentation is just missing something and it definitely didn't punch like that Kirk and Uhura kissing moment. Maybe the male-only race was as obvious as the Black/White vs. White/Black people from Orginal trek but it didn't END in any satisfying way.

LIke, how is this cheesier that TNG with better graphics and a higher budget, newer more experienced writers, and *some* better actors? The flatland episode could have expanded some minds, but MEH it was MEH like every episode is MEH. I feel like if you were ten and you watched that episode - would you gone to bed understanding the difference between 2d and 3d life?

Is this show funny or Hopeful or funny/hopeful, or just bad? :( It hurts my brain because I know the people making it want it to be awesome and I have such a hopeful bone in my body!!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DoggPickle posted:

Yet still the entire presentation is just missing something and it definitely didn't punch like that Kirk and Uhura kissing moment. Maybe the male-only race was as obvious as the Black/White vs. White/Black people from Orginal trek but it didn't END in any satisfying way.

LIke, how is this cheesier that TNG with better graphics and a higher budget, newer more experienced writers, and *some* better actors? The flatland episode could have expanded some minds, but MEH it was MEH like every episode is MEH. I feel like if you were ten and you watched that episode - would you gone to bed understanding the difference between 2d and 3d life?

If baby Rudolph in the crib at the end didn't punch you right in the gut, I don't know what to tell you.

The other episode is about the expansion of "soda guy who humps statues" into a three-dimensional character who has ideas and feelings and a back story. John Malloy can really contribute something more than a dumb joke.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Beachcomber posted:

If baby Rudolph in the crib at the end didn't punch you right in the gut, I don't know what to tell you.

The other episode is about the expansion of "soda guy who humps statues" into a three-dimensional character who has ideas and feelings and a back story. John Malloy can really contribute something more than a dumb joke.

I guess I'm retarded but I literally have ZERO IDEA what you are even saying here.

Are you talking about when "Steering the Ship Guy" gets shoved into "Engineering the Ship Guy"? Because that was a random moment of pretty weird and obnoxious character fixin's (that was a good thing) but what I was talking about was the difference in the conceptional ideas of 2d and 3d and 4d space.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beachcomber posted:

Yeah everyone knows you don't put toys in a crib, they're increasing the chance of Sids.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah everyone knows you don't put toys in a crib, they're increasing the chance of Sids.

It wasn't a toy, it was a snack.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DoggPickle posted:

Is this show funny or Hopeful or funny/hopeful, or just bad? :( It hurts my brain because I know the people making it want it to be awesome and I have such a hopeful bone in my body!!

It seems like either you're broken, or this isn't the show for you. Probably both.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

McSpanky posted:

It wasn't a toy, it was a snack.

Yeah having a toddler Moclan at least you don't have to ever worry about Legos on the floor they probably just eat the loving things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

DoggPickle posted:

THIS made me laugh. I feel bad that I've attempted to catch the general "gist" of the comments from the ENTIRE orville thread at once and I was overwhelmed and I would just like some simple aggregate SA ideas about this thing.

How about you use your own brain and contribute to the discussion rather than trying desperately to be a weather vane.

DoggPickle posted:

Neither did that TOS episode, if you remember. They go back to their home planet and keep fighting.