Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I always heard that guan yu had the most statues and zhuge Liang had the most people named after him? That could be from completely misremembered blogs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Guan Yu became a minor deity (he's a symbol of brotherly loyalty, and is popular among both cops and organized crime for that reason), so I wouldn't be surprised.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

New trailer for Dynasty Warriors 9, this one goes over all the gameplay mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkkVzPvp5_4

The combat system looks really cool and has some crazy mobility going on when they start showing it off here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess you can't accuse them of being unambitious with it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Looks pretty drat good. Can't wait to get my mittens on it.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Oh boy loving fishing gathering and hunting.

Hey look over there is that Cao Cao? What is he is doing, oh, he's gathering herbs by hand instead of ordering one of his millions of men to do it for him. hao hao

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Policenaut posted:

New trailer for Dynasty Warriors 9, this one goes over all the gameplay mechanics.

The combat system looks really cool and has some crazy mobility going on when they start showing it off here.

I loved the part where Xiahou Dun lashed away at a wall, the combo ended, there was a second or two hang, then the wall just arbitrarily explodes. After the debris clears, he's standing on a bridge that's over an impassible no-clip water feature anyhow. Dynasty Warriors, never change.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

How popular is Dynasty Warriors in China anyway?

I am not sure how popular it is because China didn't have consoles up until a few years ago. I have heard it does have a decent following since these games started getting released in Steam and most of Chinese gaming population is on PC(mostly f2p/online games). Wuxia and Romance of Three Kingdoms are pretty popular settings in Chinese media in general.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

5er posted:

I loved the part where Xiahou Dun lashed away at a wall, the combo ended, there was a second or two hang, then the wall just arbitrarily explodes. After the debris clears, he's standing on a bridge that's over an impassible no-clip water feature anyhow. Dynasty Warriors, never change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkkVzPvp5_4&t=73s

For those looking. Also that's a different door than the one he blew up. As is normal.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Glad to see my Zuo Ci sticks around as a playable character across the games, acting all cryptic and messing with Cao Cao for shits and giggles.

Also why does Cao Cao never shell out for some nice blue threads for Guan Yu when he's on loan?

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 15, 2017

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Oh sweet, you get to customize your own little house!

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Also why does Cao Cao never shell out for some nice blue threads for Guan Yu when he's on loan?

Pretty sure he wore blue in one stage in DW8 when that was the case. He's also had a Wei-color alternate costume in a couple of prior games.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Yean Guan Yu gets a blue outfit for Guandu in DW7 onwards, just like how Zhang Liao gets a black outfit when he's in the Lu Bu Crew, Zhang He and Zhen Ji get yellow duds when they're with Yuan Shao, Xiahou Ba gets green armour with Shu and Zhuge Dan gets a red costume when he rebels to Wu. There's probably a few others, too.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

lurksion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkkVzPvp5_4&t=73s

For those looking. Also that's a different door than the one he blew up. As is normal.

Good times.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnX9nE6Izdc

Gintama warriors??

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Oh good. Another warriors game about an anime I've never heard of and probably will never watch.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Consider: watching the anime

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Incidentally, I wonder why there are no Warriors clones made in the west. Even by AA or indie studios.
Is the playerbase for these games outside of Asia really that small? Or am just blind?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

lets hang out posted:

Consider: watching the anime

Eh. I'll probably pass. Most anime is kind of obnoxious to me.

Don't get me wrong, if doing these kinds of things turns Koei a profit, then by all means. Gives them more resources for the main series.

Jack Trades posted:

Incidentally, I wonder why there are no Warriors clones made in the west. Even by AA or indie studios.
Is the playerbase for these games outside of Asia really that small? Or am just blind?

The closest thing you'll probably get is Viking: Battle for Asgard, though that's stretching it a bit. Who knows, I always figured they never put forth any serious marketing effort besides what they need to for non-asian audiences

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

Whoa. Man I love Gintama a whole lot but I gotta say I never would have picked it for a warriors. As much as the setting is pretty perfect for it, the cast of people you actually care about is pretty small and the movesets aren't super diverse. I'm interested in seeing what they do with it, the latest spin off games have made me pretty positive anything can be a fun side game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Killing hundreds of mobs with memy xxxxyyy

You're looking for the Shadow of Mordor series

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The best fit for a Gintama game would be a Yakuza-like, like that new Fist of the North Star game, but musuo is the next best genre for it.

Unlike other anime musuo games it probably won't be worth playing for people who aren't already invested in the series. It'll probably hit all the major plot beats, but it's the jokes in between that really define Gintama.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Arsland or whatever that's Fullmetal Alchemist characters is a far deeper pull than Gintama, a long-running and still super popular shounen series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jack Trades posted:

Because Warriors: Legends of Troy happened.

There was also Spartan: Total Warrior which was a miserable failure

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tae posted:

Killing hundreds of mobs with memy xxxxyyy

You're looking for the Shadow of Mordor series

Nah. Shadow of Mordor/War has an Arkham combat system and the grunt killing numbers are even tamer than the most tame of Warriors games.

Basically, if the combo counter doesn't regularly go above at least 100 hits then it doesn't count as a Warriors game in my eyes.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tae posted:

Arsland or whatever that's Fullmetal Alchemist characters is a far deeper pull than Gintama, a long-running and still super popular shounen series.

Oh poo poo they should make a goddamn Fullmetal Alchemist Musou. It'd be great. It actually has a decently large and varied cast of characters with a considerable number of interesting possible moves.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This is a Bamco game, and their last attempt at a Musou clone was Kamen Rider Battride War Genesis, which was not very good at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh poo poo they should make a goddamn Fullmetal Alchemist Musou. It'd be great. It actually has a decently large and varied cast of characters with a considerable number of interesting possible moves.

Fullmetal Musou would have been loving amazing but the franchise is just too old and owned by S-E at this point.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Takoluka posted:

This is a Bamco game, and their last attempt at a Musou clone was Kamen Rider Battride War Genesis, which was not very good at all.

Really? I only played Battride War 1 and 2 and thought they were totally fine. Not, like, great or anything, but within the realm of acceptable. How did they drop the ball on Genesis?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have been meaning to watch/read Gintama, but I also heard that it was the Shonen equivalent of Archer?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Archer is grimdark realistic compared to Gintama

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Really? I only played Battride War 1 and 2 and thought they were totally fine. Not, like, great or anything, but within the realm of acceptable. How did they drop the ball on Genesis?

They're just sluggish and bland, which is pretty bad in the realm of Musou (see: Ken's Rage). Fate/EXTELLA might be the only Musou clone I've seen that gets the idea right.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sengoku BASARA 3 was really good and probably the only non-TK Musou I've ever enjoyed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I thought extella was boring as poo poo for the playing part. Felt like functions: musou

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
How was the Berserk game that came out a little while ago?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barebones. Story mode was okay but there's only 9 characters and the extra mode is just a 100 floor dungeon.
And the bosses were seriously loving awful.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

How was the Berserk game that came out a little while ago?

Gameplay wise. loving great. It felt so good to play as Guts as you slash your way through the battlefield. And transforming into Berserker armor Guts was awesome.
There are like 8 characters. So the roster is pretty short. But each character does play and feel different from the others. As Saku said, the bosses are bad. They are hard to hit and the camera doesn't help when fighting them.

I hope we get a Berserk 2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Berserk and the Second Band of the Hawk

Just as bad as Ken's Rage 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

They need to expand on a potential new Berserk musou. Rework the bosses. Like Saku's video shows, it's bad and frustrating.
Floor 100 Femto :argh: