Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think the Democrats would do that, fortunately, so we wouldn't have that Sophie's choice.

Based on the reaction to Franken I could see something like this happening, a majority of Dems approved of him resigning but if a similar scenario occurred with a guy who was running for office I could see people deciding to ignore it.

I could think of scenarios that would make me stay home and not vote or vote third party but I can't think of a reason I'd ever vote R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Lightning Knight posted:

Based on the reaction to Franken I could see something like this happening, a majority of Dems approved of him resigning but if a similar scenario occurred with a guy who was running for office I could see people deciding to ignore it.

I could think of scenarios that would make me stay home and not vote or vote third party but I can't think of a reason I'd ever vote R.

Eeeeeh I don't know about that. The thing with Franken is that the first accuser's accusations (while absolutely valid) weren't (from my understanding, I'm trying not to shove a lot of sexual harassment stuff in my head so I could be misinformed) at the level of, "We have to ban him from the mall because he can't keep his hands to himself in public." Moreover she made a statement that he apologized and she accepted it. So, if you're like me, at first you're of the opinion of, "That's lovely but she's not calling for him to be immediately kicked out and he's calling for an investigation on himself so let's see this out."

Of course immediately after that it snowballed and my stance changed. Contrast this to the GOP where where the immediate response is, "These 8 women are a democratic hit job, being paid off by Soros, better a pedo than a demo."

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah, this is where I am. I don't think there is any conceivable scenario where I would vote for a republican as the party generally adopts positions and try to pass laws that discriminate against me personally. But a Democrat could be sufficiently lovely that I vote third party or write in because there comes a point where lesser of two evils is still pretty horrific.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Republicans already win in deep blue states though. Martha Coakley didn't even have to molest a kid for that to happen.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kenner116 posted:

Republicans already win in deep blue states though. Martha Coakley didn't even have to molest a kid for that to happen.

she called curt shilling a yankees fan which in the eyes of borderline retarded boston sports fans might as well be the same thing

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

VitalSigns posted:

You could vote for the strongest write-in challenger, there would be one if we found out a Democratic senator were a serial killer a month before a general election, and hopefully the Democratic party would be supporting the write-in rather than cravenly funding a criminal like the RNC did.

Like you don't have to elect serial killers to government just to prove your loyalty to the Party.
It depends. Who are they killing?

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Fetuses.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Equality, I guess...

https://twitter.com/lindsaywise/status/941684623200935937

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's not all of it though. We replaced a thriving industrial economy with a lovely service economy, and in a lot of areas the "equality" we're achieving is coming because everyone who isn't in the 1% is getting pushed down. There's barely any middle class left and everyone in it is a single accident or hospital bill away from bankruptcy. The opiod epidemic is as much symptom as cause -- addiction ruins lives when people believe they don't have any better options than addiction.

Of course minority folks have been living with that experience for a long time. To a lot of white men it's new.

It's more accurate to say the top ~20% is benefiting while the rest of the 80% either stagnates or becomes worse off. While the 1% may capture a vastly disproportionate amount of our society's wealth, the top 20% also benefit from our current status quo (and likely to a degree where an equitable society would be "worse" for them). I think it's important to make this distinction, because a big part of the problem is that most of the people in positions of influence - politicians, the media, industry professionals, etc - are doing very well under the status quo, so there's this disconnection where most of the people guiding our societal "narrative" have a dramatically different perspective than the rest of the country. I think this contributes to political unrest, as many people (correctly) feel like "society" (which is generally represented by media/politicians/etc) is completely out of touch with their lived experiences.

Regarding the opioid epidemic, I can unfortunately vouch for things like unemployment and the resulting depression being a cause. At the time it allowed me to get the artificial feeling that things were going to be okay. I ended up getting a job, but by then it was too late.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ytlaya posted:

It's more accurate to say the top ~20% is benefiting while the rest of the 80% either stagnates or becomes worse off. While the 1% may capture a vastly disproportionate amount of our society's wealth, the top 20% also benefit from our current status quo (and likely to a degree where an equitable society would be "worse" for them). I think it's important to make this distinction, because a big part of the problem is that most of the people in positions of influence - politicians, the media, industry professionals, etc - are doing very well under the status quo, so there's this disconnection where most of the people guiding our societal "narrative" have a dramatically different perspective than the rest of the country. I think this contributes to political unrest, as many people (correctly) feel like "society" (which is generally represented by media/politicians/etc) is completely out of touch with their lived experiences.

That's a fair point but I think it's beginning to change, especially for younger folks (under 40's). Automation is starting to hit "professional" careers like lawyers and doctors. I also suspect (though it would be hard to get data on this for obvious reasons) that much of that top 20% is disproportionately 50+, even accounting for normal career/income aging, because it's getting harder and harder to find the entry-level positions for career paths that would have landed you in the top twenty percent over the course of your life, thirty years ago (compare getting a tenure-track position at a university now vs in the 1970's). The older folks in the 80th to 95th percentiles are still doing fine, yeah, but their kids aren't, and aren't going to. Some of them are noticing that, others are blaming their kids. Their kids are definitely noticing, though.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/941710865467871232

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/941715028033409024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That's a fair point but I think it's beginning to change, especially for younger folks (under 40's). Automation is starting to hit "professional" careers like lawyers and doctors. I also suspect (though it would be hard to get data on this for obvious reasons) that much of that top 20% is disproportionately 50+, even accounting for normal career/income aging, because it's getting harder and harder to find the entry-level positions for career paths that would have landed you in the top twenty percent over the course of your life, thirty years ago (compare getting a tenure-track position at a university now vs in the 1970's). The older folks in the 80th to 95th percentiles are still doing fine, yeah, but their kids aren't, and aren't going to. Some of them are noticing that, others are blaming their kids. Their kids are definitely noticing, though.

Yeah, you're almost certainly correct about a large portion of the top 20% being older. While there's a portion of millennials who are fortunate enough to be in similar circumstances*, they'll likely represent a smaller portion of the population in the future. I'll be curious to see how things change once people who came of age post ~2008 become a larger portion of the population.

* And, probably not coincidentally, these are often the folks who are most likely to complain about leftists all the time (when they're Democrats, anyways).

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Oh my god

Thank you for brightening my day so much, I needed these laughs

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

she called curt shilling a yankees fan which in the eyes of borderline retarded boston sports fans might as well be the same thing

That, and she mocked Scott Brown for standing out in the cold in front of Fenway Park and shaking hands, which was monumentally stupid and elitist-sounding no matter how you slice it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/armcannon/status/941718001144991745

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

lol

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/cowboy03corvett/status/941720271521595392

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Futuresight posted:

I think evangelicals don't really get that children are human beings. Like, letting them be abused by paedophiles is only arguably the worst thing that community will do to children. It has to compete with stuff like the abusive education programs and gay camps.

A lot of Evangelical and IFB churches swear by the book To Train Up a Child by Michael and Debbi Pearl. and uh...

THESE EXCERPTS ARE SOME SERIOUSLY hosed UP poo poo

To Train up a Child, First Edition, Page 9 posted:

At four months she was too unknowing to be punished for disobedience. But for her own good, we attempted to train her not to climb the stairs by coordinating the voice command of “No” with little spats on the bare legs. The switch was a twelve-inch long, one-eighth-inch diameter sprig from a willow tree.

To Train up a Child, First Edition, Page 60 posted:

But what of the grouch who would rather complain than sleep? Get tough. Be firm with him. Never put him down and then allow him to get up. If, after putting him down, you remember he just woke up, do not reward his complaining by allowing him to get up.For the sake of consistency in training, you must follow through. He may not be able to sleep, but he can be trained to lie there quietly. He will very quickly come to know that any time he is laid down there is no alternative but to stay put. To get up is to be on the firing line and get switched back down.

To Train up a Child, First Edition, Page 79 posted:

A seven-month-old boy had, upon failing to get his way, stiffened clenched his fists, bared his toothless gums and called down damnation on the whole place. At a time like that, the angry expression on a baby’s face can resemble that of one instigating a riot. The young mother, wanting to do the right thing, stood there in helpless consternation, apologetically shrugged her shoulders and said, “What can I do?” My incredulous nine-year-old whipped back, “Switch him.” The mother responded, “I can’t, he’s too little.” With the wisdom of a veteran who had been on the little end of the switch, my daughter answered, “If he is old enough to pitch a fit, he is old enough to be spanked.”

To Train up a Child, First Edition, Page 59 posted:

She then administers about ten slow, patient licks on [a 3 year old boy's] bare legs. He cries in pain. If he continues to show defiance by jerking around and defending himself, or by expressing anger, then she will wait a moment and again lecture him and again spank him. When it is obvious he is totally broken, she will hand him the rag and very calmly say, “Johnny, clean up your mess.” He should very contritely wipe up the water.

Source

There's also a trend within IFB and Evangelical circles of parents marrying off their 15 year old daughters to older men in their twenties. It's exactly as creepy as it sounds.

Matthew Chapman, Evangelical author, frequent speaker at Evangelical and christian homeschooling events, and a man who married a 15 year old when he was 27 posted:

Parents, I would also charge you to consider this. The way many Christian homeschooling parents raise their daughters, they mature rather quickly and develop significant capacities by a relatively young age. By their middle-teens, many daughters (but by no means all) possess the maturity and skills to run their own home. My point is to encourage you to be open to the Lord and take to heart that some of your daughters may be ready to marry sooner than your preconceived ideas have allowed for. And why not, if they are truly ready? What is the purpose of holding out for a predetermined numeric age if they are legitimately prepared and the Lord has brought His choice of a young man along for her? Don’t be surprised if this is some of the fruit of your good parenting in bringing forth mature, well-equipped, Godly young daughters. However, I seldom think this will be the case for most young men—it takes them (us) a lot longer to get to where they need to be. I have also seen that, oftentimes, a difference in age—even a significant one—with the man being older, helps make for a better fit.

Source

So yes, child abuse of all kinds is a huge problem within the Evangelical and IFB community and it's due to be blown open like the catholic abuse scandals were.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 15, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My Man of Congress may apparently be ein sexmonster

https://twitter.com/virginianpilot/status/941748312776101889

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I suspect someone is doing targeted leaking against black democratic members of Congress.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I suspect someone is doing targeted leaking against black democratic members of Congress.

Congressmen may also just all be bad

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Porque no los dos

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TheScott2K posted:

Congressmen may also just all be bad

Sure, but a disproportionate percentage of these stories are coming out on black Democrats. Statistically I suspect we should be getting more stories about Republicans and white dudes.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

What? How is this your first conclusion? :psyduck:

It’s more likely that white male congresspeople hold more power and their accusers are less willing to come forward.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Sure, but a disproportionate percentage of these stories are coming out on black Democrats. Statistically I suspect we should be getting more stories about Republicans and white dudes.

The only other CBC member I can think of is Conyers

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Maybe trying to draw any sort of conclusion from such a small sample size is inherently ridiculous.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lightning Knight posted:

What? How is this your first conclusion? :psyduck:

It’s more likely that white male congresspeople hold more power and their accusers are less willing to come forward.

That could be it too, yeah. Thing is some of these stories have been first reported by the right wing fever swamp, so it would make sense if they had a source. It wouldn't take much, just someone with access to the congressional ethics records.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

WampaLord posted:

Maybe trying to draw any sort of conclusion from such a small sample size is inherently ridiculous.

If we aren't jumping to conclusions what is the internet even for

Edit: ok I'm dumb I'm a dumbo

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

if there is a concerted effort to nab black congressmen specifically to i dunno get rid of black people in congress it's a pretty dumb plan because their districts are pretty much all drawn in such a way that they'll just get replaced by another black representative

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

if there is a concerted effort to nab black congressmen specifically to i dunno get rid of black people in congress it's a pretty dumb plan because their districts are pretty much all drawn in such a way that they'll just get replaced by another black representative

They'd have to realize that it would backfire right in their face; sexmonsters are gonna get replaced by fired up women, a double whammy against their agenda when it's black women.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nah, the goal would be to distract from white men's sex crimes or stoke white panic.

The people who called me out for jumping to conclusions were correct though.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Trust and believe women.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Democrazy posted:

Trust and believe women.

I don't think I said anything to even imply that the stories being leaked weren't true.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/941085232484122624
Wanna smash his nose right the gently caress in.

The radical middle?

Get hosed forever.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i hate manchin almost as much as fluffdaddy apparently hates bernie sanders

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just a little something for this thread: my son had a recital today and attends a Christian pre-school. They are all very sweet ladies and I've had no problem with their very kiddie occasional "Jesus loves me" stuff. They never hit or even raise their voices to my son, they're very good with him. Well I went into the church (Baptist) before the show and they were playing "Christmas" music, and it was the most vile poo poo I've ever heard. It was all that terrible brand of contemporary Christian vaguely country-sounding crap, and the lyrics were disgusting culture war vomit like "America's sleeping, a darkness rises in the east, liberals say: save a tree, kill the children" poo poo. I could not believe it, and this was supposed to be a fun thing for parents to enjoy...they thought nothing of it, nothing at all. Warped minds.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Instant Sunrise posted:

So yes, child abuse of all kinds is a huge problem within the Evangelical and IFB community and it's due to be blown open like the catholic abuse scandals were.

I'm not so sure. With the Catholic Church there was a singular, centralized organization to investigate and direct righteous fury at. The nature of American Evangelicalism makes it real easy to write off the heinous acts of any random micro-denomination as "My Denomination isn't like that!"

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Just a little something for this thread: my son had a recital today and attends a Christian pre-school. They are all very sweet ladies and I've had no problem with their very kiddie occasional "Jesus loves me" stuff. They never hit or even raise their voices to my son, they're very good with him. Well I went into the church (Baptist) before the show and they were playing "Christmas" music, and it was the most vile poo poo I've ever heard. It was all that terrible brand of contemporary Christian vaguely country-sounding crap, and the lyrics were disgusting culture war vomit like "America's sleeping, a darkness rises in the east, liberals say: save a tree, kill the children" poo poo. I could not believe it, and this was supposed to be a fun thing for parents to enjoy...they thought nothing of it, nothing at all. Warped minds.
That's a shame. Best of luck with your search.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

TheScott2K posted:

My Man of Congress may apparently be ein sexmonster

https://twitter.com/virginianpilot/status/941748312776101889

Well, this is one way to purge Congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kilroy posted:

That's a shame. Best of luck with your search.

See, that's the best part. This was the end of my search. We went through 4 schools over a year and this was by far the best one.

• Locked thread