Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

man nurse posted:

Who the hell is Snoke though? Like you mean to tell me some ultra powerful force user was just kicking around and single handedly decided to command the remnants of the empire? No, who is this guy? You can't just introduce a character that big and not explain anything, then kill them off.

Also Space Leia was stupid.

Errr yes you can? Maybe you’re just bad at watching movies heheh. It’s actually a very bold and risky way to make a villain- have him be really important by not being anyone who matters at all and then dying in a really anticlimactic way. Disney is so brave to do this and Rian Johnson, well, what can I say, the man is a cinematic wunderkind. I love Coca Cola and McDonalds hamburgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zoran posted:

and that ultimately the good guys can’t win.

Voice of a true star wars fan, that. Someone who has surely seen and enjoyed Empire.

Edit: and also who knows how trilogies work.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The part of the movie where Luke said the Jedi order were huge fuckups that allowed Sidious to seize power was pretty good

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

And Leia flying through space like a superhero was not ‘stupid’, it was a very beautiful and moving CGI tribute to the late, great CGI Carrie Fisher (Rogue One) I actually didn’t get to see the movie in full until a couple of hours ago because I was asked to leave the Thursday premiere for bawling too hard at such a beautiful, elegant and frankly, moving tribute.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

haha wow the audience scores on rt for this.

it's a caremad blitz from the worst people on earth - nerds and conservatives - which is why actually all three new star wars films thus far have been completely perfect texts

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zoran posted:

My opinion of TFA is that it was mostly aped better material poorly, but it at least brought a good mix of charming performances, and the mysteries were kind of annoying but could at least go to interesting places. That latter thing basically didn’t happen, so we're left with a bunch of charismatic actors playing with Star Wars toys, the primary themes being that it's bad to murder your dad and that ultimately the good guys can’t win.

maybe movies shouldnt have the premise 'just wait, the next one will be interesting unlike this one'

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

wizard on a water slide posted:

it's a caremad blitz from the worst people on earth - nerds and conservatives - which is why actually all three new star wars films thus far have been completely perfect texts

This. If you didn’t like The Last Jedi, whatever- I’m just gonna have to go ahead and ask you to leave before I punch the poo poo out of you for being an obvious Altright Neonazi. Nazi Punks, shut the gently caress up!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpy the Cook posted:

This. If you didn’t like The Last Jedi, whatever- I’m just gonna have to go ahead and ask you to leave before I punch the poo poo out of you for being an obvious Altright Neonazi. Haters, shut the gently caress up!

that's really interesting, the people who disagree with me all happen to be retarded simpletons too

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am shocked that people went into this movie thinking he identity of her parents would be anything other than "they were loving nobodies"

the insistence, even after seeing the movie, that her parentage MUST be important is pretty good commentary on the hero worship phenomena that is derided in the film itself.

tlj was a pragmatic film about how legends and myths and heroes are good stories, but war is hell and it cheapens lives and all you can do is fight for what you love, not fight what you hate.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I get that the movie just opened and tensions are high, but this thread is an unreadable mess.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

you do know that there were roughly one shitzillion practical effects in the preqs right

I agree with this in the abstract but in the case of this being a sequel to a movie that already established what the world is, it sucks.

What you're not grasping I don't think is that the way TLJ treats Snoke is like ending a TV series with "it was all a dream!" and like, being subversive doesn't mean it's good. It's cynical in the worst kind of edgelord way; the movie version of breaking your keurig because you think it's triggering libs

Exactly. This isn’t good storytelling. I liked a lot of the movie, but that bit is terrible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Prop Wash posted:

I get that the movie just opened and tensions are high, but this thread is an unreadable mess.

Welcome to Star Wars, where three films of holy text are now surrounded by 5 films people argue about forever.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Exactly. This isn’t good storytelling. I liked a lot of the movie, but that bit is terrible.
nah it was really loving good and perfect

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

cams posted:

tlj was a pragmatic film about how legends and myths and heroes are good stories, but war is hell and it cheapens lives and all you can do is fight for what you love, not fight what you hate.

I loved this aspect so much, both in this and in Rogue One. Growing up as a kid I thought that space magic and swashbuckling and fantastical heroism and derring-do and all that was okay, but what I REALLY needed out of this series was more pessimism and grittiness and shades-of-grey. No more of this stupid old-fashioned “Heros and villains” bullshit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Captain Phasma is a very orderly commander. Even after a hyperspacing cruiser rams her ship while she's about to execute two prisoners and her and her men are blown 100 feet away from said prisoners, she gets her men into a tidy formation to march back towards Finn and Rose.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Voice of a true star wars fan, that. Someone who has surely seen and enjoyed Empire.

Edit: and also who knows how trilogies work.

I'm talking about TFA alone, which studiously undoes everything that happened since the end of ESB so that we can have Rebels vs. Empire again.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I think in the end Rian Johnson should not have been allowed to be the director and the sole writer of this movie. Theres an unsteadiness that pervades the movie due to this I think. They should've at least brought back Lawrence Kasdan to at least co-write as this movie does do a 180 on many of the key plot lines introduced in the first to its detriment a lot. It's weird to have this sole creative rebelling against stories set up by the beginning of the trilogy in the second movie, and I suspect it will now be even more jarring in the third movie.

Kershner's direction was much better than Lucas' in Empire but it did not turn against the core conceits of A New Hope in a lot of the ways that Last Jedi seems to have.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
tlj 100% sticks to the heros and villains formula, Rey has no shades of grey, she's "tempted to the dark side" in a very meaningless and abstract sense that doesn't seem to affect her personality or motivations, Kylo is a conflicted man but he's still a clear villain, betraying his boss and cause doesn't change that, it makes him even more of an rear end in a top hat.

Everyone in the resistance is good and wise and loveable while the FO are all faceless nazis, you could say Snoke was a little charismatic but he was basically just a bond villain.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Can’t wait for Episode 9, where Poe and Finn journey to the mystical Jedi tomb-world of Dreidela, and Poe dives too close to an IED and gets his torso blown open and it’s like oh my god, oh poo poo! What the gently caress man, he was just, he was just right there a second ago man, oh god. Oh god, oh gently caress, we’re not gonna make it man! We’re dead loving meat down here, man!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The part of the movie where Luke said the Jedi order were huge fuckups that allowed Sidious to seize power was pretty good
But isn't this also bad, because it acknowledges the prequels were films that existed?

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I loved this aspect so much, both in this and in Rogue One. Growing up as a kid I thought that space magic and swashbuckling and fantastical heroism and derring-do and all that was okay, but what I REALLY needed out of this series was more pessimism and grittiness and shades-of-grey. No more of this stupid old-fashioned “Heros and villains” bullshit.
Indeed. We must teach the children they are doomed early.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Le Saboteur posted:

I think in the end Rian Johnson should not have been allowed to be the director and the sole writer of this movie. Theres an unsteadiness that pervades the movie due to this I think.

Or maybe they should've given him more than two years. It feels like it could've done with another draft.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Can’t wait for Episode 9, where Poe and Finn journey to the mystical Jedi tomb-world of Dreidela, and Poe dives too close to an IED and gets his torso blown open and it’s like oh my god, oh poo poo! What the gently caress man, he was just, he was just right there a second ago man, oh god. Oh god, oh gently caress, we’re not gonna make it man! We’re dead loving meat down here, man!

ESB was more pessimistic and gritty than TLJ, did you hate that too?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Le Saboteur posted:

It's weird to have this sole creative rebelling against stories set up by the beginning of the trilogy in the second movie, and I suspect it will now be even more jarring in the third movie.

Why would it? JJ loved the script and what it did.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Disney just uploaded an all-new sneak peek preview of A Han Solo Story and my first impressions: LOVE it!!! It really doesn’t pull any punches- wars aren’t fun and games, they’re serious stuff, and Star Wars are no different!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYIaDYRipoM

I also really like that they’re using so many practical sets and effects. Sensational!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

qbert posted:

ESB was more pessimistic and gritty than TLJ, did you hate that too?
All gags and internet postings aside, I kind of disagree, because if nothing else, TLJ combines the "the heroic plucky rebels are hosed" with "and also, the mystical teachings were corrupt and just made things worse all along, even in the first place." Perhaps Rian's trilogy will combine a situation where pluckily coming together in love despite everything also leads to galactic genocide.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Stop posting.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

qbert posted:

ESB was more pessimistic and gritty than TLJ
i do not agree with this aaaaat all. empire was tonally depressed, but entirely due to emotional tension between our main characters. calling empire pessimistic at all is weird to me, as it is entirely a movie about enduring pain and suffering and heartbreak and coming out hopeful the other side. empire ends with you excited to see your heroes come back and fight against the bad guys.

tlj's message is "the war never ends, it is foolish to see ourselves as important within it, all you can do is what you think is right." it essentially separates the first order/resistance from the dark/light struggle by pointing out it is just a proxy for it. our heroes can fight and survive and beat the first order, but life goes on and there will be more wars.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Nessus posted:

All gags and internet postings aside, I kind of disagree, because if nothing else, TLJ combines the "the heroic plucky rebels are hosed" with "and also, the mystical teachings were corrupt and just made things worse all along, even in the first place." Perhaps Rian's trilogy will combine a situation where pluckily coming together in love despite everything also leads to galactic genocide.

TLJ is specifically about sustaining hope and the very last scene of the movie emphasizes the inspirational power of storytelling.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

qbert posted:

TLJ is specifically about sustaining hope and the very last scene of the movie emphasizes the inspirational power of storytelling.
OK so like eighty percent of this is just goon sadbrains responses and/or an insufficient dedication to Porgs?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

cams posted:

i do not agree with this aaaaat all. empire was tonally depressed, but entirely due to emotional tension between our main characters. calling empire pessimistic at all is weird to me, as it is entirely a movie about enduring pain and suffering and heartbreak and coming out hopeful the other side. empire ends with you excited to see your heroes come back and fight against the bad guys.

Luke's entire worldview about heroism is shattered with the Vader reveal and his hand gets cut off. Han basically dies (when ESB came out no one knew he'd be back in ROTJ). Other than Yoda's vague "There is another." ESB ends on an incredibly downer note, way more than TLJ in my opinion.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I can't believe Yoda set us up that well early on

"there's nothing in there that Rey doesn't already have with her" you rear end in a top hat

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Everyone in the resistance is good and wise and loveable

yeah especially the part where three main characters go on a hairbrained goose chase and disobey orders and almost get everyone killed because they're idiots

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I had no problem with the movie's message, I really think that the Kylo\Luke\Rey dynamic was good an interesting and managed not to be a rehash of previous plots which is commendable, I also think that Luke's final showdown and message of hope was great, 0 problems there, really.

Perhaps the biggest problem this movie had was it was forced to be this big ensemble piece where Finn and Poe must have their own character arcs and the good guys must take a beating because ESB etc etc.

It could have been a much better movie if it just kind of focused on well... the last jedis.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Bottom Liner posted:

yeah especially the part where three main characters go on a hairbrained goose chase and disobey orders and almost get everyone killed because they're idiots

Loveable idiots.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Luke meditating on the stones while watching the two suns set was a perfect frame. Like holy poo poo, that might be the best shot in the entire franchise and I want it framed.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

qbert posted:

Luke's entire worldview about heroism is shattered with the Vader reveal and his hand gets cut off. Han basically dies (when ESB came out no one knew he'd be back in ROTJ). Other than Yoda's vague "There is another." ESB ends on an incredibly downer note, way more than TLJ in my opinion.
yeah but all these events are personal to the characters we're following, not a commentary on the overall conflict itself. the reason esb has the impact you describe is because the audience has bought into the story of the chosen one, that luke is the one who has to solve everything. we care less about the war itself than the characters we love.

tlj ends and our characters are happy and hopeful and that matters but the movie we just watched was primarily about how even the "legends" are just cogs in the machine that goes on and on forever

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Loveable idiots.

or real people making real (bad) decisions with real consequence, causing real character growth and being a mark of a good script

cams
Mar 28, 2003

it was a movie about how young people caught in a war are loving idiots who believe in myths and stories and good and evil and how great it would be to be a hero.

movie even goes out of it's way to say that hope and symbolic gestures matter, but only in the strength they give everyone around them to keep fighting the war.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'd have thought you people would love this movie way more considering Luke just all out says "the Jedi are garbage and everything is their fault" like you've been bouncing around for years now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Danger posted:

This but the emperor. Luckily we had the prequels to solve that issue, right?

The Emperor doesn't need any backstory though because it's not important, ANH builds this universe of "The Empire are the Space Nazis and control everything." You don't need to give a poo poo about how they came to power because we don't know anything before then (until he prequels came into being and ruined that). You just accept it. The problem with the new trilogy is that ROTJ establishes that the Empire is destroyed and done with, yet this crippled Dark Jedi re-establishes the Empire somehow and makes it even larger and more powerful than before? That's a whole lot of bullshit the audience has to just accept. It doesn't work at all.

This also points the problem with Rogue One, because no one gives a poo poo about how anyone got the plans to the Death Star.

• Locked thread