Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Does this mean jump Cicada won't feel like a coffin? It got eclipsed hard by the Assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The nerf to MGs pre-release on the Piranha is a welcome change compared to the usual pattern of having a mech be OP for six months and then nerfing it before CB release.

DancingShade posted:

I'd never play one because if I can't mount a single jump jet to avoid incredibly annoying situations then I don't want to know.

If you log in on the 27th this month and play a single game you get a Sun Spider hero mech for free, which, you know, might make it worth playing.

Also, does anyone remember who made the MWO MS Paint drawings of the huge centurion and the poptart meta etc etc years ago? I've been looking for them and my google-fu is weak apparently.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

aniviron posted:

The nerf to MGs pre-release on the Piranha is a welcome change compared to the usual pattern of having a mech be OP for six months and then nerfing it before CB release.

If you log in on the 27th this month and play a single game you get a Sun Spider hero mech for free, which, you know, might make it worth playing.

Also, does anyone remember who made the MWO MS Paint drawings of the huge centurion and the poptart meta etc etc years ago? I've been looking for them and my google-fu is weak apparently.

That the one with the poptart with toblerones and a kilt?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I was thinking of the one where it's just the very tops of Highlanders in silhouette under the edge of a hill; all done in high-contrast MS paint with a restricted set of colours.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

aniviron posted:

I was thinking of the one where it's just the very tops of Highlanders in silhouette under the edge of a hill; all done in high-contrast MS paint with a restricted set of colours.

Oh god yes, I just remembered those. Let me go digging through the old thread for them.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHS7iWRi1pc&t=8s
Maybe this animation?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Nah, it was all done in probably under ten colours, bright oranges, blues, dark blacks for a lot of it, still images.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

aniviron posted:

A 4chan MWO thread regular who used to post on r/mwo until it went fully to poo poo.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

aniviron posted:

http://metalbabby.tumblr.com/

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, I juuuuust found it too. It's all years and years out of date, yet somehow still relevant.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

aniviron posted:

Thanks for the tip. Not to be a negative nancy but after looking at the stats on the website if I do log in on the 27th it won't be for those free hero mechs.

Just not my preferred play styles really.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Nevermind, I didn't realize they'd finally put up the info on the free heroes.

Yeah, those look pretty mediocre. Doesn't look like the Sun Spider hero even offers a unique/interesting pod.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 13, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Q_res posted:

Nevermind, I didn't realize they'd finally put up the info on the free heroes.

Yeah, those look pretty mediocre. Doesn't look like the Sun Spider hero even offers a unique/interesting pod.

I guess at the end of the day a free mech is a free mech, heroes at that. For the average person who is maybe still collecting or trying to figure out what they want I can see them being an option.

Hell the first heavy I mastered in MWO was the drat Grasshopper resistance hero. [Ask] me about being a walking billboard with no usable cover and belt height weapon mounts.

It wasn't until I swapped mechs I got a positive K/D ratio :v:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

A reminder for everyone that we will be running the Clunker Kings 1v1 tournament this Friday starting at 2200 GMT and going until 0200 GMT for anyone interested in such shenanigans. Prizes include bragging rights and not a whole lot else, but there's gonna be fun to be had. Bring your best mechs, bring your worst mechs and generally just have fun with goons in an interesting format few of us will have played before. I'll be recording and hopefully streaming and will make some match and highlight videos as I'm learning how Make Videos Good.

Speaking of which, have a couple match highlights I made yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtOglpb-VuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ_4pDuZEas

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
OK folks, if I'm coming back, what's the best resource for some Good Builds that work with the new stuff. Metamechs seems abandoned.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

OK folks, if I'm coming back, what's the best resource for some Good Builds that work with the new stuff. Metamechs seems abandoned.

I use mechspecs to check for builds.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Nice seeing BeefySupreme in a really garish Hellspawn. Is it good enough for the current meta?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
lmao first game back in like 11 months and it's on Polar Highlands, and my team a) split up and b) was terrified of fighting so this game hasn't changed a bit!

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Sparq posted:

Nice seeing BeefySupreme in a really garish Hellspawn. Is it good enough for the current meta?

Haha, was that you yesterday commenting on my sweet paintjob?

I can't comment on the viability on the Hellspawn over all the variants but the hero is pretty fun with 6xERML's. Made of wet tissue paper though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

Honestly? Post what mech you're playing and ask folks here for a build. Most of the stuff on Mechspecs is garbage.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Honestly? Post what mech you're playing and ask folks here for a build. Most of the stuff on Mechspecs is garbage.

I wouldn't say they're garbage. They're no more garbage than the builds goons can come up with either. They can provide a good basis for a build to which you could tweak it to your specification. Yeah some of the builds blow rear end, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to discern which is poo poo and which is just riding the meta.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Free 7 days of premium time.
Go here: https://mwomercs.com/profile/redeem
Enter this code: MechWarriorOnline_Gift_2017

Also my opinion on mechspecs is that there are too many bad builds there for a "regular" player to know what is bad and what is good. Post your builds/questions here or on the discord (or on reddit) to get some good feedback and discussion regarding possible builds and the different options there are for certain mechs.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Stringbean posted:

I wouldn't say they're garbage. They're no more garbage than the builds goons can come up with either. They can provide a good basis for a build to which you could tweak it to your specification. Yeah some of the builds blow rear end, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to discern which is poo poo and which is just riding the meta.

Most of them are garbage, but hey, if you're familiar enough with the ins and outs that you can tell then you're probably able to put together your own builds.

It's not like the meta is complicated. If it's got Lasers, Gauss Rifles, or UACs then it's good.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

TjyvTompa posted:

Haha, was that you yesterday commenting on my sweet paintjob?

I can't comment on the viability on the Hellspawn over all the variants but the hero is pretty fun with 6xERML's. Made of wet tissue paper though.

Yep that was me. 6 ERMeds is a pretty good alpha for such a mobile robot.

I'm really enjoying the IV-4 with 2 MRM30 and 2 ErMeds. I'm outbrawling assaults.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

It's not like the meta is complicated. If it's got Lasers, Gauss Rifles, or UACs then it's good.

Yep, make sure to stuff your robots full of micro pulse lasers and light gauss rifles.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

aniviron posted:

Yep, make sure to stuff your robots full of micro pulse lasers and light gauss rifles.

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

aniviron posted:

threw up in my mouth a little

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

aniviron posted:

Hey, he said he knew how to tell a poo poo build from a non-poo poo build, so I'm assuming he can also figure out that certain weapons in a sub-class are worthless.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I started playing this game last week and have become pretty well addicted. the op is 2 years old so I’m not sure how much of it still holds true but would it be possible to get an invite to whichever goon clan is still active? Name in game is Hubcaps.

also is it normal for this game to kind of look like rear end even on very high settings?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Join the Discord. You can get a unit invite but the in-game social tools are basically useless, and being in a unit isn't important unless you're doing CW.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

free hubcaps posted:

also is it normal for this game to kind of look like rear end even on very high settings?

Short Answer: Yes

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

free hubcaps posted:

I started playing this game last week and have become pretty well addicted. the op is 2 years old so I’m not sure how much of it still holds true but would it be possible to get an invite to whichever goon clan is still active? Name in game is Hubcaps.

Join the discord, link is in the op. I can send you an invite to WoL but due to the way it works it's best if we are both online at the same time. It's not required to play just a Cease said but it looks cool if everyone drops as the same unit when playing together.

If you want to make the game look modern you can use re-shade: https://reshade.me/
I can post my config file later today when I get home, makes the lasers POP!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You don't have to be in the goon unit (goonit?) for any reason really besides wanting people to know how uncool you are. The only time it makes even a little difference is for faction stuff, but you can just set your faction to be the same as WoL or GIRL whenever it becomes relevant.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

A reminder that Clunker Kings is running TONIGHT 2200 GMT/2300 CET/1700 EST to 0200GMT/0300 CET/2100 EST!

Clunker Kings is a 1v1 king of the hill format tournament with a very casual style. Each match will be played in the 1v1 Steiner Arena and broadcast to Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/cluncho by myself as a spectator due to only two spectator slots per match. It will show the current Clunker King and the upcoming challengers, but will look like garbage as this is my first time really streaming.

Da Rulez

1. The match winner becomes the Clunker King and stays on for as long as they keep winning! The King can retire at any time if they desire and they will be added back to the challenger pool, at which point the next two challengers will face each other to become the next King!
2. The winner cannot use the same mech within the next three matches. This rule only applies during winstreaks, once you lose you can use any mech you want in your next challenge against the King! This rule is intended to keep things fun and interesting and may be modified as necessary to keep things interesting. Exceptions can apply for real newbies with few mechs.
3. Each win gets a point, the person with the most points at the end of the tourney is crowned the final Clunker King, conferring immense bragging rights! At least until next time...
4. There are NO limitations on mechs whatesoever aside from Rule 2! If you're confident in your Urbie feel free to bring it, but be aware that your opponent may be trying real hard in their dakka dire wolf with their back to a corner...

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 15, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Trauma Tank posted:

A reminder that Clunker Kings is running TONIGHT 2200 GMT/2300 CET/1700 EST to 0200GMT/0300 CET/2100 EST!

Clunker Kings is a 1v1 king of the hill format tournament with a very casual style. Each match will be played in the 1v1 Steiner Arena and broadcast to Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/cluncho by myself as a spectator due to only two spectator slots per match. It will show the current Clunker King and the upcoming challengers, but will look like garbage as this is my first time really streaming.

Da Rulez

1. The match winner becomes the Clunker King and stays on for as long as they keep winning! The King can retire at any time if they desire and they will be added back to the challenger pool, at which point the next two challengers will face each other to become the next King!
2. The winner cannot use the same mech within the next three matches. This rule only applies during winstreaks, once you lose you can use any mech you want in your next challenge against the King! This rule is intended to keep things fun and interesting and may be modified as necessary to keep things interesting. Exceptions can apply for real newbies with few mechs.
3. Each win gets a point, the person with the most points at the end of the tourney is crowned the final Clunker King, conferring immense bragging rights! At least until next time...
4. There are NO limitations on mechs whatesoever aside from Rule 2! If you're confident in your Urbie feel free to bring it, but be aware that your opponent may be trying real hard in their dakka dire wolf with their back to a corner...

!!!DONT FORGET!!!

If you show up you will have a chance to go up against....

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

When I'm drunk, I play the MCII-B. To hell with careful aim and pinpoint damage. Just vomit dakka all over anyone who looks at you until they give up and stop moving.

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
I wish I could be on for this tournament. It sounds awesome. Too bad the internet here is so janky.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Trauma Tank posted:

Da Rulez

Hey everyone, this is starting in the next ten minutes or so, come join us on Discord to chat and watch the stream to watch! https://www.twitch.tv/cluncho

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
goddammit and here I am waiting at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Good luck to everyone who can be part of the goonament. We need to hold one of these on a Saturday at some point.

• Locked thread