Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

GameCube posted:

the trickiest part of the hat throw for me was realizing you had to hold the y button down or you wouldn’t bounce off the hat. there’s pretty much zero visual feedback to tell you that. whatever i got it now

i had this down at first and then i got out of the habit and now i have to consciously do it. but like a lot of folks i was raging at the lost kingdom koopa race because of this, now its the easiest thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I kind of hate that dive and ground pound are the same button when the entire game uses only like 3 of the 10 available buttons but what can you do
this is one of the most annoying drawbacks of first-party games all support the single joycon layout, controller mappings are really really limited if you use a full pad

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Arms eventually got proper button mapping so maybe Mario will too

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LWnvV0Umvo

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Expect My Mom posted:

i lold but now im thinking about running around the mountains where the wind fish egg is or the big swamp where you need the chain chomp to eat flowers but it's breath of the wild and im shaking
powerfull

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

botw link taking odyssey chain chomp for a walk.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

they've already got a pretty good any% run set up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgMW_238FR0
this guy is particularly clean with it right now

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I know nobody cares cause we're all 1337 gamerz but Assist Mode does a good job of making the game playable for small children. You get six hearts, life recharges if you stand still, falling off a ledge just costs a heart and a magic bubble brings you back, and some bosses only take two hits instead of three. Its basically impossible to lose but it still feels like they're playing for real.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

P-Mack posted:

I know nobody cares cause we're all 1337 gamerz but Assist Mode does a good job of making the game playable for small children. You get six hearts, life recharges if you stand still, falling off a ledge just costs a heart and a magic bubble brings you back, and some bosses only take two hits instead of three. Its basically impossible to lose but it still feels like they're playing for real.

This is actually good to know. I have a big family and we like having them over, so turning on the "Mario for babies" version would be kind of nice for when people bring their babies over.

I beat the Lost Kingdom koopa race and whoever said it was the only real hard one was right, I've gotten the rest of them on like the first or second try. Some of the moons in Darker Side have been a little challenging but I'm p. sure I can have all 880 moons by Christmas.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

P-Mack posted:

its good to know what assist mode does (seeing as ill never pick that option because im not an idiot baby) so now i can recommend it to younger family members and tell them not to worry about difficulty (only to then mercilessly roast them for playing the idiot baby mode. it was a test, you idiot. you failed)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Faux-Gamer: Whoa, I've lost 400 coins on this level already. Maybe I better turn on Assist Mode?
Real Gamer: Yeah, sounds like a great idea... if you're a lamer baby who wants the Princess to cry!!
Faux-Gamer's Dad: I think we need to stop going over your uncle's house until you graduate from kindergarten.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Other cool thing for babies is there's enough exploration type moons that they can get most of the moons needed for the next world without doing any really tough platforming or boss fights.

Bit embarassing to see them find moons in Tostarena that I didn't even know about.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

my son loves watching this game and he gets very insistent that whoever is playing goes into any pipes that appear on screen.

he is also like this with zelda and the shrines, but only if they are not complete. when they change to blue he doesn't care anymore.

clearly I am parent of the year over here

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Imagine that first moment when your kid is old enough to beat you at Mario. You can shed tears of joy as Shirley Curry plants the beanstalk that will take you up to Coin Heaven.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

my morning jackass posted:

my son loves watching this game and he gets very insistent that whoever is playing goes into any pipes that appear on screen.

hmmm

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I hope i get a gamer son and Im not cursed with a chad

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
This game is a masterpiece but I find it funny that the little hat people sound like minions

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

holy loving poo poo

this game is basically an amazing build-up of slowly convincing you that you're good with long jumps until you get to the Dark Side bullet bill road moons, and then the game does the Mario long jump equivalent of pantsing you and kicking you in the nuts in front of the prom queen. i think i lost more coins in 5 minutes than i did on the (also hard) Dark Side p-switch tanks moons.

the way the post game constantly encourages you to get better and more precise is loving amazing. i haven't gotten to BOTW yet, but it's hard to believe this shouldn't have gotten GOTY by every metric.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
This is pretty nuts
https://youtu.be/U5-YDxH6It8

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

woah

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i noticed this but its so cool

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i noticed the powerlines but mind blown when he showed the footsteps and noby noby boy wigglers change too

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

This is really cool

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
It blew my mind because up until now I always thought possessing a power line sounded weird and thought nothing else of it. Hopefully there are more things like this to discover

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

holy loving poo poo

this game is basically an amazing build-up of slowly convincing you that you're good with long jumps until you get to the Dark Side bullet bill road moons, and then the game does the Mario long jump equivalent of pantsing you and kicking you in the nuts in front of the prom queen. i think i lost more coins in 5 minutes than i did on the (also hard) Dark Side p-switch tanks moons.

the way the post game constantly encourages you to get better and more precise is loving amazing. i haven't gotten to BOTW yet, but it's hard to believe this shouldn't have gotten GOTY by every metric.

Zelda won because all the mouth drooling Zelda fanatics had their simple minds blown by complex game logic like lightning hits metal and wet = slippery. Simple as that

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Zelda won because all the mouth drooling Zelda fanatics had their simple minds blown by complex game logic like lightning hits metal and wet = slippery. Simple as that

I look forward to saying "Awesome! This game is slippery when wet!" through a mouthful of drool when I start it after finishing Mario.

I have like four moons on Dark Side left, then Darker Side and Musrhoom Kingdom.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

m y god. the "find a new bar" post of gameing.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Ludwig van Halen posted:

who the gently caress are you

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dude took his shot and blew it, should've posted in the Games Switch thread if you wanted to start a multipage derail.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
that's a truely pathetic ad hominem attack. for one thing, the traditional insult is "mouth breathing." secondly, "mouth droolin" is redundant because drool, by definition, comes from the mouth and only the mouth.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
that guy revealed that he's a gently caress-up who drools from his rear end, which is where his brain and mouth are both located

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

mysterious loyall X posted:

lol

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I was going to do Darker Side first but I think I'm going to do the Mushroom Kingdom and do Darker Side last.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I did darker side not long after getting 500 moons and kinda lost my motivation to keep playing. If you can do both sides of the moon you can do anything.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
im p sure its just that im a retard who's bad at video games but I feel like im never 100% consistent on hitting long jumps or pulling off the toss hat -> jump off hat for extra distance

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

bump_fn posted:

im p sure its just that im a retard who's bad at video games but I feel like im never 100% consistent on hitting long jumps or pulling off the toss hat -> jump off hat for extra distance

Same but I'm a retard also

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Tender Bender posted:

I did darker side not long after getting 500 moons and kinda lost my motivation to keep playing. If you can do both sides of the moon you can do anything.

I saved it for last on purpose for that reason. Once you finally get that one down, you've done it all. A satisfying conclusion. I can't bring myself to come back to the game just to get the last few outfits I need with yellow coins.

Not sure why, but the part I had the most trouble with was the platform with the little spiny guys where you have to avoid hitting the things that shoot off circular rings of fire. It's not even that hard if you get the heart power-up from the Sphinx and don't act stupid. Like most things in Odyssey, it's a challenge at first but then once you beat it you wonder why it gave you so much trouble.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I forgot about the music in Bowser's Fortress. The music and the bouncing banners and lanterns is pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

bump_fn posted:

the hat toss is finicky because you have to keep holding y which feels a bit akward at first

• Locked thread