Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Croccers posted:

If people hated ska so much, why so many bands and so much genre blending?

"I don't even own a tv" types except music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croccers posted:

If people hated ska so much, why so many bands and so much genre blending?

After 1996, the 90's Alternative bubble was bursting and the record companies had to find something new to fill the gap.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Early 90s alternative is still my favorite subgenre of rock.

It's me, I'm the one still listening to it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Randaconda posted:

You aren't alone. Stand tall, friend.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

:hb::hf::randstare:

:yossame:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Randaconda posted:

In the early 90s, it was great, you had a bunch of different types of sound all lumped into the label "alternative" because the record companies didn't really know a formula for it yet. But then by the mid-90s they figured out what settings to use on their music-generator machines and you wound up two kinds of bands: Bands that wanted to sound exactly like Pearl Jam and bands that wanted to sound exactly like Metallica used to sound, with the occasional deviation of easy-listening blandness like Hootie or DMB. And they all sucked. Then from that the focus on blandness came to dominate, producing acts Matchbox 20, Sister Hazel, Deep Blue Something, Sugar Ray, Creed, Smashmouth, the loving Verve Pipe, etc, culminating in the frat-bro rock of Limp Bizkit and Bloodhound Gang and the last gasp of a dying boomer desperately trying to hold onto a shred of relevance, Santana's "Supernatural."

Late 90s rock was a horrifying thing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sadly, it was still better than numetal

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
So started watching some 90's videos due to this thread. Was enjoying the quality of the "Tonight Tonight" video by the Smashing Pumpkins. Noticed that the male lead is the creator of Spongebob. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonight,_Tonight_(The_Smashing_Pumpkins_song)#Music_video

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phanatic posted:

In the early 90s, it was great, you had a bunch of different types of sound all lumped into the label "alternative" because the record companies didn't really know a formula for it yet. But then by the mid-90s they figured out what settings to use on their music-generator machines and you wound up two kinds of bands: Bands that wanted to sound exactly like Pearl Jam and bands that wanted to sound exactly like Metallica used to sound, with the occasional deviation of easy-listening blandness like Hootie or DMB. And they all sucked. Then from that the focus on blandness came to dominate, producing acts Matchbox 20, Sister Hazel, Deep Blue Something, Sugar Ray, Creed, Smashmouth, the loving Verve Pipe, etc, culminating in the frat-bro rock of Limp Bizkit and Bloodhound Gang and the last gasp of a dying boomer desperately trying to hold onto a shred of relevance, Santana's "Supernatural."

Late 90s rock was a horrifying thing.

I think the real unifying element of the early 90's alternative genre is that they were essentially garage bands that got a minor record contract, and their claim to fame would be getting airplay on nearby college stations or being the opening act of a local leg of a major band's tour. It was music that you and your friends could make in your parents' garage.

I did cursory Wikipedia research on it and although some of it dates back to 1983, in 1993-1996, baring some exceptions the vast majority of alternative bands getting airplay were on at least their second album. What I really think happened was the success of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" made the record companies start pushing out all the minor acts.

The peak year was 1995, with 1996 coming in a close second singles wise. In 1997 you start seeing follow up albums, which due to the success of previous albums starts feeling forced, and are overproduced.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HAmbONE posted:

So started watching some 90's videos due to this thread. Was enjoying the quality of the "Tonight Tonight" video by the Smashing Pumpkins. Noticed that the male lead is the creator of Spongebob. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonight,_Tonight_(The_Smashing_Pumpkins_song)#Music_video

That's one of the best videos ever

Billy is a joke nowadays, but peak Smashing Pumpkins owned.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I heard a story about how either Pearl Jam or Alice In Chains were put on a tour with the hair metal band Warrant because they were on the same label and they got on really well while they were on the road, but then the Warrant guys were very disappointed to learn that Pearl Jam (or Alice In Chains, or whoever it was) had been making GBS threads on them in interviews with music magazines.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

That's one of the best videos ever

Billy is a joke nowadays, but peak Smashing Pumpkins owned.

Oh, for sure. While I was never really into Smashing Pumpkins, I'd say they might actually be the most 90's band.

I feel like I should be ashamed to admit that I was way more into Korn back then, but their first album was pretty decent IMHO.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Iron Crowned posted:

I think the real unifying element of the early 90's alternative genre is that they were essentially garage bands that got a minor record contract, and their claim to fame would be getting airplay on nearby college stations or being the opening act of a local leg of a major band's tour. It was music that you and your friends could make in your parents' garage.

I did cursory Wikipedia research on it and although some of it dates back to 1983, in 1993-1996, baring some exceptions the vast majority of alternative bands getting airplay were on at least their second album. What I really think happened was the success of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" made the record companies start pushing out all the minor acts.

I kind of disagree, but not really? I mean, I totally agree that Nirvana's success made the record companies say "Hey, we need more of...whatever this is." I think a great example of the kind of thing you're talking about is Stone Temple Pilots. But bands like Soundgarden and Soul Asylum and Alice in Chains had been around for years, and had already signed on major labels (Soundgarden and Asylum on A&M, AiC on Columbia). Then you had the rediscovery/repackaging of "alternative" bands that vastly predated the very coining of the term, like the Replacements, the Pixies, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr. A lot of these bands sounded nothing like each other, had nothing to do with the Seattle scene, and the alternative umbrella was expanded to include *radically* different stuff like Lenny Kravitz and Living Colour. Basically for a few years the labels were just throwing stuff that already existed at the walls to see what stuck and it took a few years for a recipe to be established and selected for.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phanatic posted:

I kind of disagree, but not really? I mean, I totally agree that Nirvana's success made the record companies say "Hey, we need more of...whatever this is." I think a great example of the kind of thing you're talking about is Stone Temple Pilots. But bands like Soundgarden and Soul Asylum and Alice in Chains had been around for years, and had already signed on major labels (Soundgarden and Asylum on A&M, AiC on Columbia). Then you had the rediscovery/repackaging of "alternative" bands that vastly predated the very coining of the term, like the Replacements, the Pixies, Husker Du, Dinosaur Jr. A lot of these bands sounded nothing like each other, had nothing to do with the Seattle scene, and the alternative umbrella was expanded to include *radically* different stuff like Lenny Kravitz and Living Colour. Basically for a few years the labels were just throwing stuff that already existed at the walls to see what stuck and it took a few years for a recipe to be established and selected for.

I'm not in disagreement since there was certainly an element of "does this work?" to the whole affair, nor the fact that there were bands in it that were around for years. I grew up in the Seattle area, so I'm probably tainted when it comes to analysis, but I'm pretty sure Soundgarden wasn't touring more than small venues before Superunknown dropped.

Of course I'm the one who insists that there is no "Seattle Sound" and that the only "Grunge" band was Nirvana, due to how dissimilar everyt5hing was.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm not in disagreement since there was certainly an element of "does this work?" to the whole affair, nor the fact that there were bands in it that were around for years. I grew up in the Seattle area, so I'm probably tainted when it comes to analysis, but I'm pretty sure Soundgarden wasn't touring more than small venues before Superunknown dropped.

Of course I'm the one who insists that there is no "Seattle Sound" and that the only "Grunge" band was Nirvana, due to how dissimilar everyt5hing was.

There's definitely still other grunge bands that sounded like Nirvana, but most of them didn't achieve the same level of fame and you ended up with kinda similar bands being labeled grunge.

Like Mudhoney in 1988 here sounds a lot like Nirvana's first album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nGsT_qFMBs

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The mid-90s were also a high watermark for CD mixing. Most mixing engineers had finally figured out how to actually have audible bass and keep everything at a reasonable average volume, so it didn't sound weak like most '80s CDs, but they hadn't yet figured out how to compress it all to hell. Until the end of the decade, right around Californication. We're only just now starting to recover from that garbage trend.

The 2000's were very noisy.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did like a couple of the songs from the "second wave" grunge era, after the studios got a hold of it. I thought Far Behind by Candlebox was good.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Maybe it's just my age, but the take off of grunge and alternative in general was the last time I remember feeling like there was a sea change going on in music. There hasn't been a shift like that since. I didn't appreciate the 90s while I lived them; now I do. I think a lot of it has to do with coming of age in the 90s, but the future seemed so much more wide open then. The future is now, and it's all gone wrong.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know. For all that grunge (and Britpop if you were in the UK, and probably other styles elsewhere in the world) was the defining pop music of the 90s, the biggest-selling artists of the decade were still Garth Brooks and Céline Dion. :shrug:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Leon Einstein posted:

I think a lot of it has to do with coming of age in the 90s

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Leon Einstein posted:

Maybe it's just my age, but the take off of grunge and alternative in general was the last time I remember feeling like there was a sea change going on in music. There hasn't been a shift like that since. I didn't appreciate the 90s while I lived them; now I do. I think a lot of it has to do with coming of age in the 90s, but the future seemed so much more wide open then. The future is now, and it's all gone wrong.

Again, I think part of what felt so "revolutionary" about 90's alternative is that it felt like anyone could do it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know. For all that grunge (and Britpop if you were in the UK, and probably other styles elsewhere in the world) was the defining pop music of the 90s, the biggest-selling artists of the decade were still Garth Brooks and Céline Dion. :shrug:

This is every decade, or even if you go per year.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Checks out, 1993 was a good year, but OK Soda didn't show up until 1994

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

Again, I think part of what felt so "revolutionary" about 90's alternative is that it felt like anyone could do it.

Probably what people thought about rock and roll in the 50s, British Invasion / garage bands in the 60s, blues rock bands in the early 70s, punk bands in the late 70s; I have no idea about the 80s, probably something with synths, though.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

12 years old? 1991: The Year Punk Broke

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1991 was the year I turned 12.

*checks comedies that came out that year*

Well, The Addams Family and Naked Gun 2 1/2 both own.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

I got Groundhog Day, and So I Married an Axe Murderer.

I'm pretty sure that means I win

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Randaconda posted:

I turned 11. Wayne's World seems like a 1991ish movie too. That movie actually hasn't aged that badly. Much better than most SNL movies.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Leon Einstein posted:

I turned 11. Wayne's World seems like a 1991ish movie too. That movie actually hasn't aged that badly. Much better than most SNL movies.

Waynes World will always be great.

Or at least little, yellow, different.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Randaconda posted:

Anchorman, Mean Girls, Shaun of the Dead, Dodgeball, and Napoleon Dynamite.

Honestly, Shaun of the Dead is the only one of those I really like.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

chitoryu12 posted:

Anchorman, Mean Girls, Shaun of the Dead, Dodgeball, and Napoleon Dynamite.

Honestly, Shaun of the Dead is the only one of those I really like.

Napoleon Dynamite is the only one I don't like, and I was a good deal past 12 at that point. I'm so glad that quoting that one died off harder than quoting Borat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Movies released the week I turned 12 include Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King and Mona Lisa Smile. I only went to see the first one.

But there were lots of other interesting movies released that year.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Week of my 12th birthday? Warlock, Lionheart, Not Without My Daughter.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Now, the week I was born was actually in the 90s and the movies out that week (in America and presumably elsewhere) were Bugsy, Father of the Bride and JFK. I've seen the first one but not the other two.

Looking at Wikipedia lists for the top 10 movies of each year, I think 1993 or 1994 had the best entries.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Now, the week I was born was actually in the 90s and the movies out that week (in America and presumably elsewhere) were Bugsy, Father of the Bride and JFK. I've seen the first one but not the other two.

Looking at Wikipedia lists for the top 10 movies of each year, I think 1993 or 1994 had the best entries.

I'll give you that '93 is a good list
But '94 is garbage outside the top 3.
Where 1991 is all gold

Fight me :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Grassy Knowles posted:

I'll give you that '93 is a good list
But '94 is garbage outside the top 3.

Hmm. On further reflection, you're probably right on '94 but you're completely wrong implying that Speed and Clear and Present Danger are garbage. :colbert:

1990 is actually pretty good for movies that were successful too.

Maintain that '93 is the best, though :colbert:

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Dec 16, 2017

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Oh man, '96 is mostly garbage and I'd entirely forgotten about GIVEMEBACKMYSON

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Leon Einstein posted:

That's how I feel nowadays too. I've been revisiting acts that were popular and ubiquitous when I was in high school that I didn't really care about, like Silverchair, Candlebox, and Alanis Morissette, and I realize now that they really were incredible acts. I was more of a metal/punk kid, and looking back now, yeah, they really were incredible. At the risk of sounding like a "get off my lawn" old man, yeah, radio rock has really loving sucked for the last 30 years. I blame Linkin Park.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Grassy Knowles posted:

Napoleon Dynamite is the only one I don't like, and I was a good deal past 12 at that point. I'm so glad that quoting that one died off harder than quoting Borat.

Napoleon Dynamite is in the same catagory with Freddy Got Fingered as a movie I find hilarious but I understand and am cool with everyone else hating. It flips specific really stupid switches in my brain.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

but I'm pretty sure Soundgarden wasn't touring more than small venues before Superunknown dropped.

What? They already had multiple Grammy nominations and a platinum album by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

For years, I was convinced I must have made this show up, because I couldn’t quite remember the name and nobody I described it to had any idea what I was talking about. It was only a bout of random curiosity and google finally being a thing that I eventually figured out I wasn’t making it all up.

In short:

BRAD IS RAD.

Tamayachi posted:

Didn't the kid in this show eventually wake up from his coma, but the weird dream fantasy world persisted anyway?

I’m pretty sure you’re at least half-right. I know he went back somehow after he woke up from the coma.