Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

How long a warranty does Kia offer these days? Didn't they used to do like 10 years on that poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Wistful of Dollars posted:

How long a warranty does Kia offer these days? Didn't they used to do like 10 years on that poo poo?

Americans get 7 years. Canadians get 5 years and 100,000km.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kia is 10 years / 100,000 miles

It's not transferable to the next owner tho.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It is if you buy a CPO, we just bought a 2016 Sedona in March.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Its 5yr/60k mi for the basic limited warranty and 10yr/100k mi for the powertrain warranty.

I would say drive both and decide for yourself. GT2 Stingers should be hitting dealer lots any day now depending on your location.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Guinness posted:

10 year old Civic you could still probably turn around and sell for $6-8k because Honda.

No way you're getting $6-8k for a ten year old base model Civic. We're looking at selling a 2008 EX soon, they seem to be going for around $4k CAD. Although I guess maybe that'll be $6k in another 10 years.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Kraftwerk posted:

So if you could only afford to buy it outright once(unable to buy something that price again in 4 years) and then aim to own it a long time you’d advise the stinger over the S5?

The S5 has better tech as long as you spec Virtual Cockpit and the adaptive cruise/lane keeping. And it’s got a better interior. But it’s not even close to as engaging a drive as the Kia.

For a left-field sportback idea, there’s the new Buick Regal GS, too.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

prom candy posted:

No way you're getting $6-8k for a ten year old base model Civic. We're looking at selling a 2008 EX soon, they seem to be going for around $4k CAD. Although I guess maybe that'll be $6k in another 10 years.

Maybe used cars in Canada are different, but one peek at my local craigslist shows a whole lot of plain 2007-2008 Civics in varying conditions listed in the $6-8k USD range by private parties. Dealers can be as much as $10k ( :lol: ). Granted those are asking prices not selling prices, but still. To get sub-5k you've got to be looking at real beaters or unusually high mileage cars.

The Honda tax is real.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 15, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Think of it less as a tax and more as a membership fee.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Leasing electric cars is still the way to go, it seems - at least in California it is.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
Closest to zero depreciation I can think of is picking up a ~3 yr old Toyota 4Runner/Land Cruiser/Tacoma, Jeep Wrangler, or Porsche 911 and selling before you hit 10 yrs old or 100k miles, whichever comes first. Anything else that even comes close that isn't 10-20+ years old? The Corvette, Lotus Evora, or 6-cylinder Jaguar F-type all seem pretty stable after their initial hit as well.

Interestingly, a new-ish Mercedes E-class wagon will lose ~$20K of value in absolute dollars over a few years regardless of whether it's a E350 or E63, which is something to think about (which Doug DeMuro seems to have figured out).

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 16, 2017

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Guinness posted:

Maybe used cars in Canada are different, but one peek at my local craigslist shows a whole lot of plain 2007-2008 Civics in varying conditions listed in the $6-8k USD range by private parties. Dealers can be as much as $10k ( :lol: ). Granted those are asking prices not selling prices, but still. To get sub-5k you've got to be looking at real beaters or unusually high mileage cars.

The Honda tax is real.

Where do you live? Do cars rust there? My dad's got an 06 Civic with like 160,000km on it. Runs perfect, but has a big rust hole in the door. Maybe that's the difference?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

prom candy posted:

Where do you live? Do cars rust there? My dad's got an 06 Civic with like 160,000km on it. Runs perfect, but has a big rust hole in the door. Maybe that's the difference?

The Honda tax seems to have a strong inverse correlation between how much snow an area gets. So much so you could probably made decent money trying to find low-miles ones that managed to not rust in the land of salted roads and ship them off to CA, TX, AZ, etc.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

EnergizerFellow posted:

Closest to zero depreciation I can think of is picking up a ~3 yr old Toyota 4Runner/Land Cruiser/Tacoma, Jeep Wrangler, or Porsche 911 and selling before you hit 10 yrs old or 100k miles, whichever comes first. Anything else that even comes close that isn't 10-20+ years old?

It's a little outside your year range but early lotus elises have been 30k used since they came out. They're still 30k, whether they have 30 or 90 thousand miles.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

Network42 posted:

It's a little outside your year range but early lotus elises have been 30k used since they came out. They're still 30k, whether they have 30 or 90 thousand miles.

Pretty much. You're looking at the same situation on the 1st-gen Lotus Evora, which is ~$45K regardless of miles, model year, or options.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 16, 2017

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

fyallm posted:

So with all this lease talk I am confused. I always thought it was a sucker move but it seems like more and more people are doing that. When is it better to leave vs buy?
Also bear in mind that Millennials have been conditioned to accept that they're never actually going to own a damned thing; leasing a car is no different to renting a house or paying $20/m for a phone for people who've had that mindset hammered into them.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

Leasing makes sense in certain situations. I lease my wife's car and it works out well for us.

This might be our last lease though, with interest rates going up, and residuals probably dropping in the next couple of years it probably won't make sense.

On a side note, when the hell did Full Size SUV's get ridiculously expensive. My wife sent me a link to a Ford advert for the "all new" 2018 Expedition. 53K for a base model XLT with cloth seats and no Sync. Nuts. The GM triplets are just as expensive though, they must be making a fortune on those things.

The Escalade was 10% of GM's global profit last year

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

New silverado, i think it looks pretty good.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500-photos-and-info-news

The bed is still made of Fuckin Submarines™

This model they're showing off has a factory 2 inch lift.

The stubby front end almost reminds me of the LCF

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 17, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
That grill is hideous.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Well I certainly don't regret buying my 2017 instead of waiting, based on looks.

Hopefully they will put an upgraded drivetrain in it. An upgrade version of the 6.2L that can get close or better power than the 3.5 HO EcoBoost with the 10 speed transmission would rule.

Also, I still think they should bring back the Silverado SS and put the ZL1/Z06 engine in it.

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 17, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cool startup feel posted:

Well I certainly don't regret buying my 2017 instead of waiting.

Hopefully they will put an upgraded drivetrain in it

They have to. Their advertising for the past 5 years has relied on the fact that they have the best fuel economy best in class fuel economy best in class V8 fuel economy best in class gasoline V8 fuel economy Best in class gasoline V8 6 speed automatic fuel economy, and they're out of qualifiers.

quote:

Also, I still think they should bring back the Silverado SS and put the ZL1/Z06 engine in it.

Hellcat ram vs Silverado ZL1 vs F-150 GT500 would be pretty awesome.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Powershift posted:

They have to. Their advertising for the past 5 years has relied on the fact that they have the best fuel economy best in class fuel economy best in class V8 fuel economy best in class gasoline V8 fuel economy Best in class gasoline V8 6 speed automatic fuel economy, and they're out of qualifiers.

JD Power Initial Fuel Economy Award*

*For vehicles driven economy mode with everything turned off for the first 10 miles when your grandma borrows it

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

This reminded me that Toyota still sells their factory TRD supercharger for the Tundra that upgrades it to 504 hp and 550 lb-ft.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This reminded me that Toyota still sells their factory TRD supercharger for the Tundra that upgrades it to 504 hp and 550 lb-ft.

and THAT reminds me that Toyota still makes the Tundra.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I assume they are focusing on power delivery and not just peak output. You probably don't want a peaky high-revving turbo in a high-volume not-minivan

Yeah exactly, they'll obviously have a different tune / turbo for the hot models. I was more curious of the potential of this new engine.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

That kit apply to the Land Cruiser as well? If so, I'm interested.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I think it looks too much like an overgrown Colorado. The square wheel wells actually gave it character.

If they want to make it look more like an F-150 so it'd sell better, I'd just buy a F-150.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm the indent in the front and rear lights that would've been the perfect place to run a crease in the body through but nah why make a coherent design decision like that when we can have a line from the top of the headlight which for some reason swoops down into the door panel and then a line from the rear light that just kinda stops after a while?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Why would I buy that over an F-150?

C'mon GM

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

EnergizerFellow posted:

That kit apply to the Land Cruiser as well? If so, I'm interested.

Apparently it does fit the LC/LX 570

Domestic Amuse posted:

I think it looks too much like an overgrown Colorado. The square wheel wells actually gave it character.

If they want to make it look more like an F-150 so it'd sell better, I'd just buy a F-150.

It does remind me of a Colorado, think it’s the swoopy window frames.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wheeee posted:

Why would I buy that over an F-150?

C'mon GM

The same reason you already were buying Chevy product: cash on the hood and/or your fleet manager is getting kickbacks.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
is GM going to address whatever is causing 800 pages of "vibration" issues in 2015+ trucks in threads like this??

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153186-shake-or-vibration-issues/?page=779

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

It's absolutely that back corner on the side window. If you just cover it with your finger it changes the look of the truck. Props to them for matching circles with circles again on the wheel wells, but that front end is a mess.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

This is the first full-size Chevrolet truck to have round wheel openings since 1973.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Powershift posted:

New silverado, i think it looks pretty good.

Hood looks like its taller then the bed.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lx570 and the top range v8 cruiser share an engine (5.7L 3ur fe) with the tundra. From what I remember the engine bays are about the same for the lexus and the cruiser.

Fake e: oh yeah the supercharger is a lexus option in the Middle East.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

is GM going to address whatever is causing 800 pages of "vibration" issues in 2015+ trucks in threads like this??

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153186-shake-or-vibration-issues/?page=779

Watching videos in the thread it just seems like a normal boxed frame truck with unloaded bed.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Apparently you can't configure a Stinger with all season tires without buying the $2000 package of annoying driver aids. Thats a super strange limitation.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Laranzu posted:

Apparently you can't configure a Stinger with all season tires without buying the $2000 package of annoying driver aids. Thats a super strange limitation.

I dunno, I get the reasoning. All season tires are usually poo poo compared to having a set of dedicated winter/summer tires, so you'd probably need the driver aids.
Though I come from a tire culture where all seasons are frowned upon, and actively discouraged.. so I'm biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

More car companies should discourage all seasons on performance cars anyways. It's not like you can't afford a set of summer and winter on a car like that and why would you buy a fast car and put poo poo tires on it?