Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The new movie has CGI. Star Was fans stay far away. #notmystarwars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

General Dog posted:

Biggest surprise has gotta be Snoke getting murked

How?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Do you mean how is that the biggest surprise, or how does that happen?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also, mods- please rename the thread Porg. The Other White Meat.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PostNouveau posted:

"The new Star Wars movies are bad" is about the same level as "The D.C. superhero movies are good" where I'm just like, this person lives in another reality from me, and we're never gonna bridge that gap.

Yeah, me too. I think the pacing was a wee bit suboptimal, but other than that it was a beautifully shot and satisfying film.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Can someone let me in on all the deets for the Porgs? My friends want to see this with me but I'm really only in it for the Porgs and never cared about Star Wars. How satisfying are they? Are they in the movie for a lot of run time?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The porgs are pretty good and there's a lot of em.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The subversion of Vader/Emperor/Luke pow-wow, ending with Kylo using the opportunity to kill Snoke, felt like a really cool, new, and natural place to go, referenced allusions by Vader in the original movies, and was a great "coming of age" moment for Kylo where he proves he's ready to everyone in the sithiest way possible. The new trilogy has been super into telling audiences to not revere established things and comes across to me as openly anti-Wookieepedia.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

General Dog posted:

Do you mean how is that the biggest surprise, or how does that happen?

How is this even a surprise at all when you see it coming from a mile away?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

dont even fink about it posted:

The new trilogy has been super into telling audiences to not revere established things and comes across to me as openly anti-Wookieepedia.

The end to TFA was even subverted with Luke just tossing away his old lightsaber immediately.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rey continually pissing off the caretakers was pretty great. They should have done at least one more gag about it

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Haha yeah man, the guy who's been saying how much he's come to like the prequels recently is saying I wish Disney would ignore them. You got me.

Clones come from the OT. Sith is an OT thing. Do you not know Star Wars?

i might not remember it correctly but all the visuals in the coruscant scene were straight from the prequels. i think it counts. also come on, clones arent ot. no one thinks of the ot first when someone mentions clones

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

cuntman.net posted:

i might not remember it correctly but all the visuals in the coruscant scene were straight from the prequels. i think it counts. also come on, clones arent ot. no one thinks of the ot first when someone mentions clones

Luke and Obi-Wan talk about the Clone Wars, though it's never stated that the Stormtroopers are clones.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
When the gently caress does the original trilogy mention the word "Sith?"

At least they actual say "clone" in the OT, even if it's not much.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

Luke and Obi-Wan talk about the Clone Wars, though it's never stated that the Stormtroopers are clones.

i know that

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

The end to TFA was even subverted with Luke just tossing away his old lightsaber immediately.

I thought that was a great moment, both funny and a little bit shocking. Lukes' expression of mildly unhinged, infinitely weary contempt for it and everything it represented was really well done, in that tiny split-second you really do realise that "this is not going to go the way you think"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

s.i.r.e. posted:

It is never stated that the Stormtroopers are clones because the Stormtroopers are not clones.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

PT6A posted:

Same way everyone knew that Vader got his suit after a duel on a lava planet.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

Same way everyone knew that Vader got his suit after a duel on a lava planet.

Do the novelizations of the OT count as the OT? I don't think they should.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The more I think about the film the more I think it's genuinely good

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

How is this even a surprise at all when you see it coming from a mile away?

I meant surprise in terms of what I expected going into the movie. The second it happened, no, it wasn't surprising; I agree it was telegraphed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bleck posted:

It is never stated that the Stormtroopers are clones because the Stormtroopers are not clones.

I thought they were for the OT, according to wiki (I know) they are for most of the OT.

General Dog posted:

I meant surprise in terms of what I expected going into the movie. The second it happened, no, it wasn't surprising; I agree it was telegraphed.

Ahh, gotcha.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Movie was good and I liked it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really really loved the final battle visuals.

Such a great twist on what we thought was a snow planet. And the mixture of red and white was gorgeous. The skiff things kicking up was just utterly fanstastic. And the mine that the Falcon went through. Just all around incredible.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Do you guys think Ben just started working out while shirtless randomly after the first time their minds meet just in the off chance she links again during a workout? I mean all he was missing was a “999... 1000... 1001... 100 oh hi Rey, didn’t see you there”

lol

"oh you know me just JACKIN it. Just jackin my enormous dong here"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gatts posted:

Can someone let me in on all the deets for the Porgs? My friends want to see this with me but I'm really only in it for the Porgs and never cared about Star Wars. How satisfying are they? Are they in the movie for a lot of run time?

they taste like chicken

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

cuntman.net posted:

What Coruscant scene? Other than the brief glimpse during the Special Edition montage in RotJ, Coruscant has only appeared in the prequels.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
That didn't happen to be a Moof on the Jedi Island was it? (TFA joke)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The Force Awakens' 'Hosnian system' is basically the same trick as Rogue One's 'Mustafar': You present the audience with familiar imagery and allow them to fill in the blanks, without having to outright state that it's the place in question.

The difference is that apparently Disney decided actually blowing up Coruscant for reals was too crippling to their potential future storylines / bottom line, so they changed it to some other place and let casual moviegoers just operate on the reasonable assumption that it's the same glittery city planet from the previous films.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ungulateman posted:

The Force Awakens' 'Hosnian system' is basically the same trick as Rogue One's 'Mustafar': You present the audience with familiar imagery and allow them to fill in the blanks, without having to outright state that it's the place in question.

The difference is that apparently Disney decided actually blowing up Coruscant for reals was too crippling to their potential future storylines / bottom line, so they changed it to some other place and let casual moviegoers just operate on the reasonable assumption that it's the same glittery city planet from the previous films.

It's not a trick. The system is explicitly called "the Hosnian System" in dialog (At least twice, if I recall correctly). Anyone who thinks its Coruscant was not paying attention to the film.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

jivjov posted:

It's not a trick. The system is explicitly called "the Hosnian System" in dialog. Anyone who thinks its Coruscant was not paying attention to the film.

Coruscant could easily be in the Hosnian system, you do understand this?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Milky Moor posted:

Coruscant could easily be in the Hosnian system, you do understand this?

...its not though.

It is canonically established information that Coruscant and Hosnian Prime are in the Coruscant System and Hosnian System respectively.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

PT6A posted:

At least they actual say "clone" in the OT, even if it's not much.

In A New Hope during the evil conference scene the original take has one of the big-wigs get paranoid about the "Sith Lord" that the Emperor has sent to keep an eye on them at which point Vader and Tarkin walk in the room and the scene continues as in the theatrical cut. You can find it on Youtube.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

jivjov posted:

...its not though.
>the point

>your head

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

>the point

>your head

I mean...if the point is "This could possibly be true if you ignore established facts of the setting"....that's a dumb as hell point.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Big props to Kylo Ren for doing what needed to be done and killing the loser Supreme Leader Snoke and his fruity gold robe

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

jivjov posted:

I mean...if the point is "This could possibly be true if you ignore established facts of the setting"....that's a dumb as hell point.

why must you be like this

people have been roasting you for literal years about being a painfully literalist pedant and you're still citing canon like a historical document and puzzled why people don't agree

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Jesus Christ how do you function in human society.

His point is that the casual viewer probably doesn’t know what the word “Coruscant” or “Hosnian” means and just knows glitzy city planet got exploded. It doesn’t matter to them which is which because they are not invested in the lore.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Last Jedi is good for many of the same reasons that the prequels are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Jesus Christ how do you function in human society.

His point is that the casual viewer probably doesn’t know what the word “Coruscant” or “Hosnian” means and just knows glitzy city planet got exploded. It doesn’t matter to them which is which because they are not invested in the lore.

So if the casual moviegoer doesn't know what Coruscant is...why would they assume that Coruscant got blown up?

multijoe posted:

why must you be like this

people have been roasting you for literal years about being a painfully literalist pedant and you're still citing canon like a historical document and puzzled why people don't agree

Sorry that I actually pay attention to movies and can understand the difference between the word "Coruscant" and the word "Hosnian"