Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Siivola posted:

Why not both?

:dogbutton:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

[quote="Kilometers Davis" post="“479351998”"]
Doubly serious point, lol if you need to defend yourself and don't just buy a gun
[/quote]

We don't all live in active warzones, man. I didn't see a gun IRL until I travelled in my mid-twenties.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

hi liter posted:

If you are training to learn how to win street fights, you are not training for the right reasons lmfao.

In fact, if your thoughts are focused on how to beat up strangers, you probably need therapy.

If you are getting into lots of street fights, maybe you should try and change that environment rather than continue to put yourself into dangerous situations.

Before I could fight and put some size on, people treated me markedly differently. I wish I could go back in time and have people treat me that way and do something about it, but ironically now I can, they dont treat me that way anymore.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

We don't all live in active warzones, man. I didn't see a gun IRL until I travelled in my mid-twenties.

Not only that, the rare idiots here in the UK that have guns attract other gun owners and gun violence, no one I hang out with carries and no one comes at them with guns because violence begets violence.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Assaulting people is actually cool

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

old.flv posted:

Beating the poo poo out of someone who assaults you is even cooler.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

old.flv posted:

thread title

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Any person for whom "Being assaulted" is a significant problem needs to reevaluate his or her life choices.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Any person for whom "Being assaulted" is a significant problem needs to reevaluate his or her life choices.

could you say this a little whiter please

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wangsbig posted:

could you say this a little whiter please

Man, I'm not physically imposing at all, and I've lived in rough and low-income neighbourhoods. It's simply not a problem in my life because I've learned where bullshit happens, and how bullshit happens, and I stay out of it.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Man, I'm not physically imposing at all, and I've lived in rough and low-income neighbourhoods. It's simply not a problem in my life because I've learned where bullshit happens, and how bullshit happens, and I stay out of it.

How attractive have your girlfriends been?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

willie_dee posted:

This should be the first question in the OP to help us pick the right martial arts for new posters.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does aikido or tkd have higher sexual market value? this is important

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm still reeling at Willie basically saying that you'll only have trouble coming for you if your girl is > HB 8

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Dave Grool posted:

Does aikido or tkd have higher sexual market value? this is important

TKD for sure, flashy kicks are way more sexy than phantom wrist locks

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

I could start trying to throw barbs at you, or take more troll bait, or whatever, but in all sincerity you need to do some self-reflection, for your own good. Your insecurities have more to do with your tendency to get into bullshit situations. If you keep treating life as if you're the protaganist of a Charles Atlas comic book ad, on his way to knock out the guy who kicked sand in his face, you're going to end up stabbed.

I don't want to log in some day to read that you're dead because of some petty bullshit at a club.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I don't want to log in some day to read that you're dead because of some petty bullshit at a club.

gently caress, I do...

Willie plays off his behavior as "because comedy forum"

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

JaySB posted:

gently caress, I do...

Willie plays off his behavior as "because comedy forum"

It's really disturbing how at face value people take posts.

I'm beggining to think if I started posting about how the ufc have called me up to take a fight against CM Punk half the people here would genuinely believe it and start hating on me for potentially losing a fight to a WWE wrestler.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ha ha epic trollery my dude, here i thought you really did steroids and practiced mma in a janky rear end rec room and fantasized about vigilante justice. boy is there ever egg on my face

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

ha ha epic trollery my dude, here i thought you really did steroids and practiced mma in a janky rear end rec room and fantasized about vigilante justice. boy is there ever egg on my face

Owned.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Humor has different contexts in different threads. For a thread where people come in asking about self defense and have legitimate fears about their safety, your vigilante puffery is not funny or helpful.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Humor has different contexts in different threads. For a thread where people come in asking about self defense and have legitimate fears about their safety, your vigilante puffery is not funny or helpful.

I think forums poster willie_dee is a caricature of the sort of person that has an interest in martial arts as anything other than a very gay healthy hobby, and him being universally treated like a retard for his beliefs is a wake up call to others. maybe you've been the hero of this story all along willie

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also literally everything about your posting (except your adventures in Amsterdam) indicates sincerity. Whenever anyone says anything positive, you inhale that validation like a fat kid goes at a bag of oreos. It's only when someone says that you're being dumb that you get defensive and try to act as if you've been a gimmick poster the whole time and that everyone else is stupid for believing you.

e. to add the footnote to reiterate that I'm actually more worried about your well being than I am concerned about making fun of you on the internet.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I doubt the dude that posts in the steroid thread and keeps posting weird alpha poo poo has just been playing a character for the past six months or so. Willie's weird and I could very well see myself read about him getting stabbed in a year or two.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Hey goons, just a friendly reminder to keep your drat hands up when assaulting moped thieves

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

OctaMurk posted:

Hey goons, just a friendly reminder to keep your drat hands up when assaulting moped thieves

He lives in the UK right? I'd be like, poo poo take it there are like 5 billion more on this rock.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Do you guys have any recommendations for Gi's? My black A4 has a huge tear across the chest and while I could repair it, I think I might just get a new one.

My professor is recommending the Hyperfly Judofly because its a little more durable weave but unless its re-stocked I cant get it in A4. Any other good recommendations you guys have??

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for Gi's? My black A4 has a huge tear across the chest and while I could repair it, I think I might just get a new one.

My professor is recommending the Hyperfly Judofly because its a little more durable weave but unless its re-stocked I cant get it in A4. Any other good recommendations you guys have??

I like bamboo break a lot, I also ordered two padilla and sons that are good. I'd go back to bamboo break though if I had to choose. Price wise in Canada they're very good.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Judo or jiu jitsu? From what I gather judo gis have a much thicker collar to prevent your opponent from being able to grip comfortably. I'd imagine they are also heavier.

Of the brands that I own, Lucky Gi and Inverted Gear are my favs. If you want to be one of the cool kids get a Shoyoroll or AP (I own those too).

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I picked up an Adidas champion bjj gi and am quite happy with both price and quality. I like that it has minimal branding, and the fit is nice. I think it also comes with a 10 year warranty against ripping but who knows if and how they'd honor it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Odddzy posted:

I like bamboo break a lot, I also ordered two padilla and sons that are good. I'd go back to bamboo break though if I had to choose. Price wise in Canada they're very good.

Seconding Bamboo Break for a bjj gi. They're not the best gi you'll find, but they're a pretty good value, and they seem consistent from the 5 or 6 of them I've seen so far. They're $130 and I've seen them easily outlast many $200+ Venum gis. The pants are loving awesome, too.

And really, given how much of a hassle laundry is, you're better off buying two decent $130 gis than one good $260 gi.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
My hyper fly has been a great $100 gi

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Odddzy posted:

I doubt the dude that posts in the steroid thread and keeps posting weird alpha poo poo has just been playing a character for the past six months or so. Willie's weird and I could very well see myself read about him getting stabbed in a year or two.

I have it on good authority he also spends too much time looting in pubg.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

Judo or jiu jitsu? From what I gather judo gis have a much thicker collar to prevent your opponent from being able to grip comfortably. I'd imagine they are also heavier.

Of the brands that I own, Lucky Gi and Inverted Gear are my favs. If you want to be one of the cool kids get a Shoyoroll or AP (I own those too).

It is heavier. I think its a 760gr vs ~400-500gr pearl weave. Im going to be using it for both so that seemed like a good option. I was also looking at the Tatami Estilo 6.

Ill check out this Bamboo break as well. I appreciate the suggestions guys!

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Got paired with a guy I haven't seen before last week. He wasn't bad but his kicks were not that powerful or fast, I felt like I had more speed and power in my kicks. After the training we talked a bit and I asked how long he had been doing muay thai for and expected him to answer something like 2-3 weeks.

"I've been training for about a year."

Then he asked me how long I've been training for and I told him three months.

"Oh.. But you've done other training before?"
"Nope."
":stare:"

Felt good, man.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Neon Belly posted:

I have it on good authority he also spends too much time looting in pubg.
I take it all back, he's gonna be fine.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Claeaus posted:

Got paired with a guy I haven't seen before last week. He wasn't bad but his kicks were not that powerful or fast, I felt like I had more speed and power in my kicks. After the training we talked a bit and I asked how long he had been doing muay thai for and expected him to answer something like 2-3 weeks.

"I've been training for about a year."

Then he asked me how long I've been training for and I told him three months.

"Oh.. But you've done other training before?"
"Nope."
":stare:"

Felt good, man.

Did you find out where he had been training? If its some where else then you are a credit to your gym!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

There's also number of days training, number of hours, and of course natural aptitude.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Of course. I've been going 2-3 times per week for those three months with almost no skipped weeks so it might not be a fair comparison at all.

I'm still struggling to make it through the warmup without feeling like dying so it's not like I'm some kind of pro yet. But it still feels nice sometimes to realize that "Hey! I can now kick harder than some other people!"

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Where do you train?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Novum posted:

Where do you train?

In Sweden :)