Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The tyranny of voice mail is in the doggie fetch-like process of getting, waiting and retrieving messages. gently caress it entirely. Elect me prime minster and I promise to rip every last centimeter of copper out of the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't mind voicemail at all if it's received in the visual voicemail format, like these text messages. It's kinda nice actually.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

shadow puppet of a posted:

The tyranny of voice mail is in the doggie fetch-like process of getting, waiting and retrieving messages.

Yeah, I meant specifically visual voicemail.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Looks like low speed data is now the new thing after Public came out with their stupid 3G plans: https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/12/01/lucky-mobile-bell-canada-prepaid-wireless-carrier/

Bell's getting into the act.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I was asking myself why Public Mobile's $40 plan looks so lovely in that article, and then I remembered that I bought a unicorn deal.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thought you all might find this interesting, I did

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2017/12/supreme-court-canada-rules-text-messages-may-attract-reasonable-expectation-privacy/

quote:

The Supreme Court of Canada has issued a landmark decision concluding that text messages may attract a reasonable expectation of privacy even after they have been sent and received. The case recognizes the importance of electronic communications and the privacy implications of electronic messaging, establishing a standard that is likely to have a significant impact on investigations across the country. Further, the court’s emphasis on a functional approach to privacy in the digital world could have implications that extend well beyond conventional text messaging.

Can Canadians ever reasonably expect the text messages they send to remain private, even after the messages have reached their destination? Or is the state free, regardless of the circumstances, to access text messages from a recipient’s device without a warrant? The question in this appeal is whether the guarantee against unreasonable search and seizure in s. 8 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms can ever apply to such messages.

The answer from the majority is yes: there can be a reasonable expectation of privacy in text messages even after they have been sent and received.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Meh, I was already of the opinion that once you've sent a text or email, the recipient can do with it what they wish, and cops can already subpoena email/phone records anyway, so texts is just a natural extension.

I don't like it, but once you've sent it, what expectation of privacy can you really expect to have once you can't delete them?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I thought that case had more to do with those short-range cell interceptors cop use, I forget the name, that pretty much setup a net and capture all incoming and outgoing cell data within it's range with no warrants or oversight.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

gently caress them if that's the case; that's straight up CSIS-level poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

I thought that case had more to do with those short-range cell interceptors cop use, I forget the name, that pretty much setup a net and capture all incoming and outgoing cell data within it's range with no warrants or oversight.

The Stingray thing, yeah

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
So does this cover sms or text message like apps and programs people may use?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

what. you guys got the details completely wrong lol what stingray device was used here

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/text-messages-can-be-considered-private-even-once-received-supreme-court-says

quote:

In a potentially significant 5-2 ruling today, the high court set aside the firearms convictions of a man whose messages were found by Toronto police on the mobile phone of an alleged accomplice.

The court says Nour Marakah had a reasonable expectation of privacy concerning the messages, meaning he had a right to challenge the police search of the phone as a violation of his guarantees under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

In her reasons for the majority, Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin notes that Marakah was the author of the text messages introduced as evidence against him, that he expected the electronic conversation to remain private and that he asked the recipient numerous times to delete the messages.

However, the court cautions that much depends on the facts of a case, and that the outcome might be different in other circumstances.

In addition, McLachlin says that even if an accused person has the right to argue there was a violation of their constitutional right against unreasonable search and seizure, it does not mean that the argument will succeed.

She also writes that not every kind of electronic communication will involve a reasonable expectation of privacy that allows an accused to make the charter argument.

“This case does not concern, for example, messages posted on social media, conversations occurring in crowded internet chat rooms, or comments posted on online message boards.”

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pivo posted:

what. you guys got the details completely wrong lol what stingray device was used here

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/text-messages-can-be-considered-private-even-once-received-supreme-court-says

I was simply clarifying the name of the device the poster was referring to, calm down.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
So the Pixel 2 is now $0 down on a Large Tab (Tab Large?) with Koodo. I somewhat remember Risky Bisquick(?) bought a new phone for basically half the price by signing up the tab, cancel right away and pay off the remaining tab. Very tempted to get the Pixel 2 now. Does this trick still work? Will I get stuck with first month's bill and cancellation fees?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Their FAQ would suggest you are only responsible for the Tab Charge

quote:

What charges am I responsible for when my service ends with Koodo?
If you cancel your service or if Koodo cancels it for any reason, you remain responsible for your Koodo Tab and for all amounts chargeable to your account up to the time the service is cancelled. Any recurring charges that were billed at the beginning of your billing cycle or any credit balance under five dollars will not be refunded when your service is cancelled.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

waxluthor posted:

So the Pixel 2 is now $0 down on a Large Tab (Tab Large?) with Koodo. I somewhat remember Risky Bisquick(?) bought a new phone for basically half the price by signing up the tab, cancel right away and pay off the remaining tab. Very tempted to get the Pixel 2 now. Does this trick still work? Will I get stuck with first month's bill and cancellation fees?

Still works. Right now you can get an iPhone SE for like $150, but I didn't read into the details of this offer. See the thread below and read their strategy, not sure if you need seasonal hold, or can outright cancel.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/walmart-possible-koodo-iphone-se-deal-wal-mart-dec-6-2151507/

e: actually go here, they are hot on the case https://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-hot-google-pixel-2-0-tab-large-koodo-2152698/

ed2: drat $504 for a Pixel 2, that's pretty nice, kijiji is flooded with them now too holy cow

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 11, 2017

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've done that with Koodo a couple times and other providers too, the one thing I'd caution is that Koodo's web store is crap logistically, they'll blow delivery estimates by weeks and never respond to your emailed / phoned status requests in a remotely timely manner.

If you can do it in-store, miles better. Anyway, re: tab, what you see is what you get.

With Google it's way better to buy phones direct for any warranty issues that arise since they'll ship you a new one practically overnight and then you ship them the old one for free after and never think about it again. I got stuck with a Koodo loaner for almost a month when I had to send my Pixel in (within a month or two of getting it)

But not "spend double" better!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Lots of good deals. I kidna impulsively upgraded to a LG G6 for $150 on a Smart Tab at Rogers (cause I got a sweet 12GB Share Everything plan which I will never ever drop but I'm only getting a device subsidy on smart tab with it) but sent it back a week later cause I didn't even notice the original Pixel XL was the same price for $150.

So now got a Pixel XL on the way and I'm psyched. I told myself if I ever went back to an Android phone it would be a Nexus/Pixel device because lmao gently caress carriers deciding when I get OS and security updates forever. I'm going to miss using my iPhone SE though... such a great phone.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

James Baud posted:

With Google it's way better to buy phones direct for any warranty issues that arise since they'll ship you a new one practically overnight and then you ship them the old one for free after and never think about it again. I got stuck with a Koodo loaner for almost a month when I had to send my Pixel in (within a month or two of getting it)

But not "spend double" better!

Google/HTC is still the manufacturer though, don't they honor manufacturer warranties if the device is paid off? I thought you only need to deal with carriers if the phone is not paid off yet.

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 12, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So here's an Unlimited* plan for $89/mo for the Territories:

https://www.icewireless.com/en/unlimited-89

* 4GB outside their network, which looks like it's 3G right now with LTE Advanced "coming soon"?

I don't really need this, but for people who are used to paying about the same to Bell for a lot less, it generating some buzz. I was expecting more small print, but I'm guessing I can drop by their shop and read it.

odiv fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 14, 2017

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

waxluthor posted:

Google/HTC is still the manufacturer though, don't they honor manufacturer warranties if the device is paid off? I thought you only need to deal with carriers if the phone is not paid off yet.

Well, I was an active Koodo customer at the time so I hadn't bothered paying that phone down at the time it flaked, but Google didn't know that while telling me "you didn't buy from us, deal with them". I very strongly suspect that the cross-shipping is more of a perk for buying from their store than a general warranty "wow" thing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Brace yourselves

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hm, new activations only. Would be $10/mo more for me for 5 extra GB, except without SKMB plan in Ontario hanging over my head. Oh well.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Fido apparently has this deal too. I mean of course they would!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Rogers started the chain reaction with 10gb/$60 plans, Bell followed suit the same day. Not a huge surprise Telus is getting in on it now.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Goddamn that's not bad

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I just want a $6, 1gb plan. How is that impossible? Do the math people!

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
I just want some Guillotine and nationalized telecoms, how hard is this people!?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:same: comrade.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pivo posted:

Hm, new activations only. Would be $10/mo more for me for 5 extra GB, except without SKMB plan in Ontario hanging over my head. Oh well.

This is now available for all Koodo customers, not just new activations. You will need to speak to 'support' / 'retentions' to get it. The promo supposed to last until the 19th, but Koodo is seeing huge numbers of signups from it so they may end it early. The offer is month to month, and does not require a contract.

The other carriers have matched it or are going to match it in the next day or two, though most require a 2 year contract.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I'm on the phone with Bell right now. I'm currently paying $540 for 5 lines, 33GB shared between them all.

They are saying they can switch my lines to the $60 plan, but no sharing. Which is no bueno for me cause one line uses 1gb, one uses 500mb, one uses 20gb, one uses 5gb, etc.

I feel really bad for these call center reps, they're just reading off the same script over and over and over again.

I asked why do I have to pay $240 more for the privilege of less gb and sharing compared to $300 if all lines had 10gb. What if I setup a script on these phones to download all 50gb every single month.

I even asked if they could leave my plan on the 33gb and reduce my bill to $300 a month and still no dice.

I swear I will stay on the line all night until they give me a real answer.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

EoRaptor posted:

This is now available for all Koodo customers, not just new activations. You will need to speak to 'support' / 'retentions' to get it. The promo supposed to last until the 19th, but Koodo is seeing huge numbers of signups from it so they may end it early. The offer is month to month, and does not require a contract.

The other carriers have matched it or are going to match it in the next day or two, though most require a 2 year contract.

If this is a BYOD promotion, keep in mind that you can't have a contact -or more specifically Early Cancellation Fees- if you don't get a hardware subsidy, as per CRTC regulations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Nitr0 posted:

I'm on the phone with Bell right now. I'm currently paying $540 for 5 lines, 33GB shared between them all.

They are saying they can switch my lines to the $60 plan, but no sharing. Which is no bueno for me cause one line uses 1gb, one uses 500mb, one uses 20gb, one uses 5gb, etc.

I feel really bad for these call center reps, they're just reading off the same script over and over and over again.

I asked why do I have to pay $240 more for the privilege of less gb and sharing compared to $300 if all lines had 10gb. What if I setup a script on these phones to download all 50gb every single month.

I even asked if they could leave my plan on the 33gb and reduce my bill to $300 a month and still no dice.

I swear I will stay on the line all night until they give me a real answer.

The problem is you're talking to customer service. You need to talk to retentions.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
oh I've been thru the gammit, now I've been transfered to someone who speaks english and he's understanding, but still can't give me an answer

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
There is no such thing as "retention". They transfer you to a department that they fake call "retention" but they still only have limited abilities based on the computer system they have access to.

I just looked at my call log, 1 hour, 40 minutes. For the english speaking supervisor in Toronto to tell me that I should lodge a complaint online cause he doesn't have any access to change anything past what marketing says to put in the "system"

It's doublespeak, all the way around. Fight your way through, I'm going to put in the complaint on the online form he provided and if that goes no where I'll be phoning back in to get to the same english speaking people until I get a real answer.

I am sick of this poo poo. I am sick of canadian telecom, I am sick of it all. Telus, Bell, Rogers, Koodo, Virgin, Up my dick telecom. I don't care.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Transferred between 3 different departments during that time too fyi.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Nitr0 posted:

Transferred between 3 different departments during that time too fyi.

As much as I dislike our telecoms, I'm going to have to side with Bell on this one. Nowhere do they advertise the plan as being sharable.
What your asking them to do sounds like it is out of the scope of this promotion. This type of offer is generally a specific plan for single lines, and making it sharable is probably prohibited in the Eligibility and Requirements of the offer, as well as in the back end software they are using.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I also said I would be willing to keep the exact same features I have on my current plan. 33gb shared, unlimited calling texting, but they reduce my bill to the $300 I would be paying if I switched all lines over to $60 per.

They can't do it... because???? Why?

Don't get sucked into telecom double speak, there is no reason we all couldn't stand up for this poo poo and tie up their departments. We just accept it because "it doesn't work in the back end software, the system, the computer"

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Like I said, if I'm going to be forced to change each line to 10gb each to save $250 a month, I will. I will also make sure I use every gb on their network that I can at peak hours.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

here we go boys

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 21, 2020