Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Powaqoatse posted:

hahah what the gently caress

Yeah wow of all the examples...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rumda posted:

I'm sorry, you're an idiot. It's just like how colour blindness is much more common amongst men.

Calm down dude. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying it sounds not true. It could be the most true thing ever, but no amount of science can make "all yellow cats are boys and all black cats are girls" sound like something seriously said by someone above the age of 8.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RoboRodent posted:

My favourite cat colour mutation is the siamese coat pattern, which is a temperature-sensitive deactivation of an enzyme involves in melanin production. Warmer areas of the body have a reduced ability to produce melanin, while the cooler areas of the body -- the face, legs, and tail -- are more or less unaffected, and are normally pigmented. Siamese kittens are born white, because in the womb they're uniformly warm.

As someone who loves his ragdoll, can you provide links tho this? I'd love to read more on it, and be able to show my wife.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

tight aspirations posted:

I've heard white cats with blue eyes have a higher incidence of deafness than other cats. Heterochromatic white cats are also more likely to be deaf in the ear that corresponds with the blue eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvWGnXkcaKI

The cat just thinks she's getting a massage with a gently-vibrating petting tool.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Guy Goodbody posted:

Calm down dude. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm saying it sounds not true. It could be the most true thing ever, but no amount of science can make "all yellow cats are boys and all black cats are girls" sound like something seriously said by someone above the age of 8.

Just because your scientifically illiterate doesn't mean everyone else is.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rumda posted:

Just because your scientifically illiterate doesn't mean everyone else is.

There's no reason to be this upset. Just look at this

RoboRodent posted:

My favorite cat color mutation is the siamese coat pattern, which is a temperature-sensitive deactivation of an enzyme involves in melanin production. Warmer areas of the body have a reduced ability to produce melanin, while the cooler areas of the body -- the face, legs, and tail -- are more or less unaffected, and are normally pigmented. Siamese kittens are born white, because in the womb they're uniformly warm.

It's like God let Jesus design cats as an elementary school project

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

tortie males are XXY(thanks to a mutation) and therefore sterile. sorry about your inherent ignorance re: genetics

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy Goodbody posted:

You do know that most animals have significant sexual dimorphism, right? And that humans are very remarkable for both genders looking so much alike? Cats are pretty low-key if you want examples of animals being different colors based on their gender.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

You do know that most animals have significant sexual dimorphism, right? And that humans are very remarkable for both genders looking so much alike? Cats are pretty low-key if you want examples of animals being different colors based on their gender.

Yeah but usually it's stuff that makes sense, like male peacocks having crazy tails or male orangutans having giant face flaps. This cat stuff is like, RPG classes being gender restricted.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah but usually it's stuff that makes sense, like male peacocks having crazy tails or male orangutans having giant face flaps. This cat stuff is like, RPG classes being gender restricted.

This is the main line of attack against intelligent design and evidence in support of the idea that evolution is not forward-looking toward some ultimate goal. A lot of it is a huge tangled mess we’ve yet to fully suss out.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Cats are dumb and ridiculous. It shouldn't be a huge surprise that their dumbness extends to the genetic level.

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.

Guy Goodbody posted:

:confused: You are a nerd but a dumb nerd which is the worst kind of nerd.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Guy Goodbody posted:

When there is no evolutionary pressure genetics goes crazy.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Biology is frickin amazing, why have issue with it at all? Embrace how awesome it is.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's no reason to be this upset. Just look at this

What's that twitter account where it's basically g*d throwing his hands up in the air and saying "fine, make a platypus, see if I care"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

syscall girl posted:

What's that twitter account where it's basically g*d throwing his hands up in the air and saying "fine, make a platypus, see if I care"

I would contend that it's the animals which are not platypus that are mistakes.

Also, a funny picture for this, the cat genetics thread:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/SaOG3j1.jpg:nws:

Edit: fixed, sorry

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 01:43 on Dec 16, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

Also, a funny picture for this, the cat genetics thread:

:nws::nws:
thanks for being unable to link NWS, rear end

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Beachcomber posted:

Amusing trivia: the platypus is also poisonous.

Have a husky being silly.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Guy Goodbody posted:

So what's your point then? That sometimes things that are real seem unreal to someone who doesn't know about them? So what about that? Do some reading if it sounds so strange.

From the Cat Coat Genetics Wikipedia page

Ta-dah!

Rat Patrol has a new favorite as of 00:39 on Dec 16, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tendales posted:

Cats are dumb and ridiculous. It shouldn't be a huge surprise that their dumbness extends to the genetic level.

Completely unrelatedly I was wondering the other day wtf is up with cat eye pupils and why no other species I know of, including other types of cats, have those drat freaky rear end things.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Data Graham posted:

Completely unrelatedly I was wondering the other day wtf is up with cat eye pupils and why no other species I know of, including other types of cats, have those drat freaky rear end things.

in conjunction with the eyelids, the pupil becoming a vertical aperture allows for more precise control over how much light enters the eye, compared to just dumb cicrular pupils like we got

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

wuffles posted:

This is the main line of attack against intelligent design and evidence in support of the idea that evolution is not forward-looking toward some ultimate goal. A lot of it is a huge tangled mess we’ve yet to fully suss out.

He's joking for gently caress's sake

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Reeeeeally disappointed the website didn't work.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Solice Kirsk posted:

Reeeeeally disappointed the website didn't work.

http://whatichopped.com/

e: the flyer is more funny than the whole website unfortunately.

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Dec 16, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

e: nvm. beating dead horse.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

computer angel posted:

Tortioseshell cats are exclusively female.

Cat color is determined by markers on the x chromosomes. Torties and calicos must have two x chromosomes to be that color. I have a feeling red patch tabbies also do.

Edit: it's the red (orange) and black color combo that we (the cat needs) are talking about. We do not mean tuxedo cats.

Bored has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Dec 16, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LifeSunDeath posted:

http://whatichopped.com/

e: the flyer is more funny than the whole website unfortunately.

It's viral marketing for a band's song & upcoming tour if anyone was wondering what it's all about

Hey it worked, it got us talking about them. :v:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Edit: fixed, sorry

Platypus sex chromosomes are super complicated.
https://www.nature.com/news/2004/041025/full/news041025-1.html

quote:

Not content with one pair of sex chromosomes, the platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus) has five. This is the largest number found in mammals so far, and also hints that the sex determination systems of birds and mammals may be linked...
In humans, sex is determined by one pair of chromosomes: a woman has two X chromosomes, and a male has an X and a Y. One of the platypus's sex chromosome pairs contains units similar to these, but another resembles the ZZ/ZW sex chromosome system found in birds.

I also found this article on platypus sex chromosomes, which explains the mechanism by which they mix and match chromosomes.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-scientist.com/%3Farticles.amp/articleNo/23143/title/Platypus-has-10-sex-chromosomes/

Cythereal posted:

Amusing trivia: the platypus is also poisonous.

Have a husky being silly.
Only the males are venomous. I have no clue which chromosomes control that.

Data Graham posted:

Here's a cool article talking about why different animals have differently shaped pupils. They still don't know what evolutionary advantage goat eyes give to the octopus, though.

https://www.livescience.com/51787-why-cats-have-vertical-pupils.html

Now ask me about weird animal genitals. Thanks to SA, I know a lot about that too.

Edit: wanted to address this too.

RFC2324 posted:

As someone who loves his ragdoll, can you provide links tho this? I'd love to read more on it, and be able to show my wife.
Here are some.
http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-facts-genes-siamese-cats-temperature-sensitive-albino

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_coloration

http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/coatcolorcat.php

Scroll down to the "in cats" section of the wiki article and down to the "colorpoint restriction" section of the ucdavis article.

Bored has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Dec 16, 2017

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bored posted:

Here's a cool article talking about why different animals have differently shaped pupils. They still don't know what evolutionary advantage goat eyes give to the octopus, though.

https://www.livescience.com/51787-why-cats-have-vertical-pupils.html

I was just about to ask about goat pupils

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
All I know is if you pet a cat from the tail toward the head, it is often not smooth but rather sharp and pointy.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I was just about to ask about goat pupils

About halfway through the article, there's a section about pupils for prey animals. Just in case you missed it.

Mister Mind posted:

All I know is if you pet a cat from the tail toward the head, it is often not smooth but rather sharp and pointy.

This is true. And if you are feeling especially daring, try running your hand up your cat's belly. The pointiness is especially noticeable on their tummies.

Bored has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Dec 16, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mister Mind posted:

Say it with me: Every cat is completely sharp no matter what angle you're touching it from

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Bored posted:

About halfway through the article, there's a section about pupils for prey animals. Just in case you missed it.

I didn't and that was super interesting. wish I could see like that for an hour, just because it is so hard to imagine how it would actually work

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Beachcomber posted:

Say it with me: Every cat is completely sharp no matter what angle you're touching it from

but do they purr

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Screaming Idiot posted:

but do they purr

No, that’s sharks

mind the walrus