Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Gun
Oct 24, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

Today has shown a lot of people don’t know what monopoly means.

I feel like the people who want to quickly write about how disgusting the deal is are twenty somethings going through their communist “hurrr the corporations are evilll” phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Autism Sneaks posted:

The former Nick has two eyes, the latter Nick has two eyes and the Pulp Fiction afro

They need to make it like Hot Tub Time Machine. Where Nick is constantly put in peril of losing an eye, with some time travellers* being like "Oh poo poo, this is where Nick Fury loses an eye!"
And he keeps surviving.
Until he ends up losing the use of his eye when an errant rubber band from the end of film report flies off and hits him in the face.

*= Naturally Time Traveller number 1 will be played by Stone Cold Steve Austin.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 15, 2017

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Top Gun posted:

I feel like the people who want to quickly write about how disgusting the deal is are twenty somethings going through their communist “hurrr the corporations are evilll” phase

The corporations pretty much are evil though, and communism is the glorious future, comrade

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Now we can actually see Sam Jackson Fury lose his eye to Wolverine.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Ok lets hear it, what does the nightmare dystopian Disney monopoly look like?

(I think its being slightly over-reacted to).

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

kaesarsosei posted:

I think that the main argument is that if Disney have all this back catalogue they will be slow to release it on media like DVD's (which was Disney's usual MO.)
But with the move to digital libraries that is more a moot point.

The other argument I suppose is that Disney will have such a large catalogue of material that they will create their own streaming service as a competitor to Netflix. But they were doing that anyway.
And it's funny that monopolies are bad...except for streaming services. Where we want a one stop, shop.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Monopolies are bad news for competition and I think competition is very important. Of course, this acquisition is no doubt competition-driven; Disney and Fox are big fish in the media pond but they're comparatively small next to some of the big tech and digital companies.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

No consumers want a single monopolising streaming service, we just don't want to have to sign up to 20 different ones to access the content we want to watch.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, this merger sucks. If only for the reason that it's made an already pretty lovely thread even worse.

Changing the subject from corporate overlords for a moment, what's the buzz on the animated Spiderman movie? The trailer looked pretty bad rear end. Anyone seen it yet?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The trailer? Yeah, everyone's seen it. It's pretty great.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Monopolies are bad news for competition and I think competition is very important. Of course, this acquisition is no doubt competition-driven; Disney and Fox are big fish in the media pond but they're comparatively small next to some of the big tech and digital companies.
This merger is a shot across the bow of Netflix, but the thing that confuses me here is that Disney gets Fox’s stake in Hulu but they are also launching their own streaming service in 2019.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

This merger is a shot across the bow of Netflix, but the thing that confuses me here is that Disney gets Fox’s stake in Hulu but they are also launching their own streaming service in 2019.

They've already said that nothing changes there. The Disney service is aimed at families, Hulu will be for the more adults only stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They said marvel and star wars will be on the Disney service. But then maybe Hulu will come to Canada finally.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

They've already said that nothing changes there. The Disney service is aimed at families, Hulu will be for the more adults only stuff.

Hulu is something of an Internet Touchstone, isn't it? :haw:

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

It's really bad for North American cinema, because it removes one big studio to produce movies. Then, there's less diversity in the movie offering.
Now that Deadpool exists, there will be more of it--but taking the initial chance on Deadpool, Logan or the horror New Mutants that's
coming up? New takes like that are much less likely to happen at Disney.

Also, Disney leans pretty hard on theater chains for Star Wars money--now they get to do it with Avatar too.

Last month, Disney refused to let the LA Times see Thor Ragnarok with the rest of the press because they had written about their
shady business practice with the city of Anaheim. They got publicly shamed into backing off.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It didn't remove anything because 20th Century Fox was going away regardless. It wasn't a hostile takeover.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah it's not like Disney took a chance on any of the Marvel films

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aphrodite posted:

It didn't remove anything because 20th Century Fox was going away regardless. It wasn't a hostile takeover.

And I would be just as discomfited if Comcast had bought Fox.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yannick_B posted:

Also, Disney leans pretty hard on theater chains for Star Wars money--now they get to do it with Avatar too.

Last month, Disney refused to let the LA Times see Thor Ragnarok with the rest of the press because they had written about their
shady business practice with the city of Anaheim. They got publicly shamed into backing off.
Yeah those two stories pissed me off because they were clear examples of the company trying to bully people. However, they were doing that before this merger already so it’s not like anything would change with that.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah those two stories pissed me off because they were clear examples of the company trying to bully people. However, they were doing that before this merger already so it’s not like anything would change with that.

Oh for sure, but now, they have even more power and leverage. And they made it all work in their favor! That's the crazy part! Big ol'nerds are actually cheering that a giant company
is buying another one. I mean, I'm stoked to see the entire MCU guest-star at Reed and Sue's wedding in an upcoming FF movie, but still!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's a concentration of wealth and power that benefits two of the most powerful and dangerous entities in the modern world. The reason no one is laying out why it's bad is that you need to be willfully ignorant to not recognize that on its face and no one has the patience to spoonfeed basic socio-economic concepts to people excited about Wolverine and Darth Vader fighting who cross their arms and ask what the big deal is.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...I’m going to see the movies, anyways. Bitching about this merger would accomplish precisely nothing except make me an enormous hypocrite.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lurdiak posted:

It's a concentration of wealth and power that benefits two of the most powerful and dangerous entities in the modern world. The reason no one is laying out why it's bad is that you need to be willfully ignorant to not recognize that on its face and no one has the patience to spoonfeed basic socio-economic concepts to people excited about Wolverine and Darth Vader fighting who cross their arms and ask what the big deal is.

Right. It’s like the meme posted earlier. It is a troubling thing but at the same time it also gets us closer to Hank Hill in Kingdom Hearts 3

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wolverine beats Darth Vader in a walk. Adamantium is %40 cortosis.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Yannick_B posted:

It's really bad for North American cinema, because it removes one big studio to produce movies. Then, there's less diversity in the movie offering.
Now that Deadpool exists, there will be more of it--but taking the initial chance on Deadpool, Logan or the horror New Mutants that's
coming up? New takes like that are much less likely to happen at Disney.
It seems to me that we've gotten more films from Pixar, Lucasfilm, and Marvel Studios after Disney bought them, no?

And it seems unfair to me to accuse Disney of not being...what, daring enough?...desperate enough?...to take chances like Deadpool or Logan, considering that Fox owned the X-properties for decades and didn't put out those kinds of hard R movies either until they shat up their own franchise to the point that they pretty much had nothing else to lose. Before then they were putting out the exact same sort of PG-13, generic (by today's standards, of course; back then they were pretty rare) superhero films, some of them decent, some of them goddamn awful.

Especially for Deadpool, it's like...I think people forget the perfect storm of everything falling into place exactly the right way for this movie to have been made the way it was. If Ryan Reynolds hadn't pushed so hard for it to happen to the point of literally leaking the CGI screener footage himself in order to drum up interest, I doubt Fox would have been all that pressed to make Deadpool, especially after the loving the character received in Wolverine Origins. And if Green Lantern hadn't flopped, Reynolds wouldn't have been free to push for this part either.

To act like Fox was this sort of avant-garde artiste's studio who dared to defy the odds to put out genre-peripheral films like Deadpool and Logan is like...yeah, it's great that they eventually did, but it's still looking back on their treatment of this franchise with pretty rose-tinted glasses.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Wait, hang on, does this merger mean we can hopefully see the best Spiderman story now?

I of course, refer to the marriage of Mole Man and Aunt May.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait, hang on, does this merger mean we can hopefully see the best Spiderman story now?

The Spider-Man movie rights are with Sony, who are producing a Venom movie and (maybe??) a Black Cat & Silver Sable movie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

To act like Fox was this sort of avant-garde artiste's studio who dared to defy the odds to put out genre-peripheral films like Deadpool and Logan is like...yeah, it's great that they eventually did, but it's still looking back on their treatment of this franchise with pretty rose-tinted glasses.

Well there was fox searchlight i guess that was putting out lower budget indies. We'll see if Disney keeps that around

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

JordanKai posted:

The Spider-Man movie rights are with Sony, who are producing a Venom movie and (maybe??) a Black Cat & Silver Sable movie.

Just put in the spiderman homecoming 2

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes but the twist is it will be Hans Moleman.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Yes but the twist is it will be Hans Moleman.

How is that any different?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I bet Thanos will be defeated when he gets a football in the groin.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Phylodox posted:

The tragedy of spelunkers lung won't happen

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bunnyofdoom posted:

The tragedy of spelunkers lung won't happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76oS9pgG5bI

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I bet Thanos will be defeated when he gets a football in the groin.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

JordanKai posted:

I'm still surprised they are trying to go through with the Venom movie. I keep waiting for it to be announced as cancelled.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Jamesman posted:

I'm still surprised they are trying to go through with the Venom movie. I keep waiting for it to be announced as cancelled.

I feel like you could make a good Venom movie if you handed it off to a weird comedy guy like Taika Waititi or whoever wrote Deadpool, because Venom has that same superficial "Animated Badass Van Art" public appeal to cash in on, without any underlying substance to get in the way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jamesman posted:

I think the writer or director said that the two Venom comic runs they are pulling the most from are 'Lethal Protector' (not shocking) and 'Planet of the Symbiotes'

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Or they could just do Ultimate F4

between that writing abortion and his recent dumbass statements i sincerely hope someone slaps the poo poo out of mark milar :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Fan4stic was basically them trying to ape Ultimate FF. I'd guess that they're gonna shy as far away from that tone as possible.

Alternatively, cast Miles Teller as the Maker :v:

• Locked thread