Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean the good news is that Elite is already a game and Frontier delivered my purchases immediately. Oh and also they don't affect gameplay in any way, which is a nice bonus.

Also my purple engine trails look dope.

You're history's greatest monster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Read that as Kyoon at first. Anyone else remember Kyoon?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also just lately I've been playing FTL and it has many of the features that Star Citizen wants to have

except it works

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also just lately I've been playing FTL and it has many of the features that Star Citizen wants to have

except it works

You can say that about pretty much any game, since Star Citizen is trying and failing to implement just about every feature from every game

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean the good news is that Elite is already a game and Frontier delivered my purchases immediately. Oh and also they don't affect gameplay in any way, which is a nice bonus.

I bought the purple engines and weapons a while ago. And then flew out to explore the galaxy in an unarmed Diamondback Explorer. Without even remembering to put the purple engines on it. Oh well.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

if backers are just now getting mad about the espresso machine, do you think we should tell them about the private barista and the space door?

Can’t because then it becomes tainted.

They need to live through the first 3 years of the different threads themselves, as if this knowledge has never been discovered until they found it, to fully appreciate what they learn.

This is why history is doomed to repeat itself.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Kramjacks posted:

:sax:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bootcha posted:

Oh the lawyers outside are frightful
But the dreams are so delightful
And since we've got nothing to show
Three point oh! Three point oh! Three point oh!

Man the project shows signs of stopping
And I've bought this Porche for retiring
The build functionality's low

When we finally say "We Tried"
How I'll hate showing up in these courts!
But before I'm undone by my pride
Do you know any non-extradition ports?

The hype is slowly dying
And, citizen, we've stopped refunding
Don't mind me if I tiptoe

OMG so good :five:

juggalo baby coffin posted:

really hoping that at some point FUD is going to have to be defined to a jury

Fairly sure it has been, the term was invented by Gene Amdahl of IBM and carried on by Microsoft, so it's probably in a transcript or two.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I just caught up via the recap thread and -

bwa hahahaha

Did Croberts actually think he could violate the poo poo out of the contract because Crytech was going to be liquidated soon and not in a position to respond?

This appears to be the case. But he surely knew if Crytek did manage to keep the spirit from passing, he always had the world’s greatest insurance policy; Ortwin, the bringer of fire and fury.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Lladre posted:

So Crytek sometime in 2015 or 2016 released their CryEngine for free use.

CiG announced new SQ42 as a standalone game in 2016.

CiG switched the game that they were under contract for to SQ42 from SC since no name was in the contract.
And picked up a free copy of CryEngine to make SC in.

So in effect, this case is doomed before deposition.

Dude your “I’m a goon guys, ha ha! Definitely not a rabid shitizen sticking up for my dream game!” play is loving cellophane.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Toops posted:

Dude your “I’m a goon guys, ha ha! Definitely not a rabid shitizen sticking up for my dream game!” play is loving cellophane.

wrap it up goonailure, CIG's got this in the bag :smuggo:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Nalled it. Network culling is loving hard at best. And i’m just an internet idiot, not a diciple of Christ Roberts and His glorious Vision. How the gently caress are they so bad at game development? Remember, they’ve been talking about this feature for at least 2 years.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

G0RF posted:

This appears to be the case. But he surely knew if Crytek did manage to keep the spirit from passing, he always had the world’s greatest insurance policy; Ortwin, the bringer of fire and fury.

Who is Ortwin again?

If they are a lawyer, they are well named, with "win" right in the name

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Kramjacks posted:

I bought the purple engines and weapons a while ago. And then flew out to explore the galaxy in an unarmed Diamondback Explorer. Without even remembering to put the purple engines on it. Oh well.

I just bought a python after cheesing a bunch of passenger missions so I figured I should make it purple. No idea what I'm gonna do now but at least my AspX doesn't have to pretend to be a freighter now (:rip: exploration dreams, I swear I'll take you out of the bubble some day Aspie)

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Beet Wagon posted:

The holiday skins are rare and expensive and will disappear soon.

Like Idrises.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Nebakenezzer posted:

I just caught up via the recap thread and -

bwa hahahaha

Did Croberts actually think he could violate the poo poo out of the contract because Crytech was going to be liquidated soon and not in a position to respond?

I think this is probably what it comes down to

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Toops posted:

It's even funnier because Squadron 42 was announced as a standalone game in December 2015 and they started selling it as such in February 2016 but CryEngine didn't become free until March 2016.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Nebakenezzer posted:

Who is Ortwin again?

If they are a lawyer, they are well named, with "win" right in the name

Oughta win. :smugdog:

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Chris in his office when the phone rings...

CR: Hi Ortwin.Yes I've heard the news. Don't worry, I got Ben to shred all the paperwork last February so there's no contract. Huh? Wha? How the hell did Crytek get a copy?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Kramjacks posted:

Kyoon is on Reddit now! Adding a link for those who fancy a walk down memory lane.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 16, 2017

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Lladre posted:

I don't think anyone outside of employees views CryTek in a positive light.

show us you are balls

Toops fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 16, 2017

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Hav posted:

"(they screwed up the mocap recording and all of the footage is useless)."

:suspense:

This was evident in late 2015 where a senior animation artist on ATV talked about how hard it was to transform the mocap data to work with the latest version of the character rig. If I remember right, in 2015 they were on v6 of the player rig. God knows what version they’re on now.

It’s like trying to hit a moving target on a moving boat from another moving target on a different boat.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ponzi posted:

Chris in his office when the phone rings...

CR: Hi Ortwin.Yes I've heard the news. Don't worry, I got Ben to shred all the paperwork last February so there's no contract. Huh? Wha? How the hell did Crytek get a copy?

Personal historian and archivest. Who the hell authorized that ?

Dear God man he will sink us all with his spectrum disorder

Ha.... get it, spectrum ? gently caress someone get me Tony Montana on the line , I like his taste in cars

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Abuminable posted:

Compilers should blow holy chunks if you use tabs in your source files.

I have done a git revert on a commit because some dev thought I was being nit picky.

If you commit code that fucks up the tab spacing, I believe that’s grounds for immediate termination.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
"What do you mean, Ben had a copy of the Crytek contract? ... Yes, of COURSE it had my signature on it! That doesn't mean it's one of his 'collectibles'! ... He uploaded a scan of it? ALL of it? To where? ... WHAT THE HELL IS A BOOK OF LOAF? gently caress!"

Mr Fronts fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 16, 2017

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Kramjacks posted:

Good thing none of that matters whatsoever due to the fact that Elite is a pixel-perfect simulation of what being dead feels like.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its sad when even Tommy Wiseau has a more accessible and larger cult following for a lovely project.

Not to mention how similar the two are with their inability to grasp the english language as well as being terrible speakers in every sense of the word.

Although, at least when Tommy forgets his lines, he's talking about ink on paper.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Toops posted:

Good thing none of that matters whatsoever due to the fact that Elite is a pixel-perfect simulation of what being dead feels like.

Being dead is... nice?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

God drat I love cig patch notes

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

spacetoaster posted:

NSFW: From Reddit

:words:

Don't ever try to usurp the Fourth Stimpire again reddit.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Kramjacks posted:

Being dead is... nice?

Have you ever laid down in bed, closed your eyes, and then teleported to the morning? Being dead feels exactly like that part you missed, and by induction, so does Elite.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Toops posted:

Funny that Elite is also a nearly pixel-perfect example of what the citizens want so desperately.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Toops posted:

Have you ever laid down in bed, closed your eyes, and then teleported to the morning? Being dead feels exactly like that part you missed, and by induction, so does Elite.

I once became ill after playing Elite for about 24 hours straight. I went to bed and began these horribly intense, fevered dreams that felt like real time hyperspace jumps. I would wake after each one, or as a result of exiting hyperspace. Needless to say this was some intense sleeplessness with unreal anxiety that only the saddest of sci-fi brains could self induce. So, no.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I dunno Toops but it feels like your experience with Elite was more like a protracted bathroom experience than the taste of oblivion

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Solarin posted:

God drat I love cig patch notes

Client now runs better than disastrous. It is slightly better than a catastrophe but still not good enough to be considered a clusterfuck. Catastrophuck stage if you will

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Charlie Hall typing that through gritted teeth.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I mean, there is only one person I can think of that does large story arcs across albums in prog rock and that is Casey from The Dear Hunter.

Thick as a Brick 2 came out a few years ago. :colbert:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

EmesiS posted:

Funny that Elite is also a nearly pixel-perfect example of what the citizens want so desperately.

That right there is one of my favorite “Star Citizen Fan” features.

EmesiS posted:

I once became ill after playing Elite for about 24 hours straight. I went to bed and began these horribly intense, fevered dreams that felt like real time hyperspace jumps. I would wake after each one, or as a result of exiting hyperspace. Needless to say this was some intense sleeplessness with unreal anxiety that only the saddest of sci-fi brains could self induce. So, no.

I have like 100 hours in the game, and the core is incredibly immersive. Being overly harsh on Elite is one of my many charming gimmicks. I’m glad you enjoy it my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the stuff i don't like in elite is the stuff star citizens seem to want more of