Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

learnincurve posted:

I reminded my literal fascist dad that the post-911 generation will be old enough to vote next election and he said, out loud, “you mean generation snowflake”

:allbuttons:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Aorta Fairy
Dec 16, 2017

GramCracker posted:

What about the Euro truck expansion pack?

The motorbike is pretty out of place in that one.

Humble Bunda
Jan 14, 2008

We're all trying to find the guy who did this!
I don't even loving know who stroll is

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Humble Bunda posted:

Get hosed bitch. Stroll owns.

A Tad Ghostal
Dec 2, 2014

im gay

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

yet another PC b*tch who doesn’t want grid girls

smdh

A Tad Ghostal
Dec 2, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

yet another PC b*tch who doesn’t want grid girls

smdh

this whole lovely thread is behind a safety car

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Humble Bunda posted:

How about you go for a stroll and don’t come back, OP?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I think pc culture is great for f1. A variety of streaming options and race highlights on youtube have made the sport accessible to the pc generation.

Tiny Aorta Fairy
Dec 16, 2017
What about the Mac generation

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
James Hunt is spinning in his grave

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

quote:

Hi Doc,

I have a somewhat general question that relates to a lot of the advice I've seen you give over the years. Like many of your advice-seekers, I'm a man who is shy about approaching people... but I'm baffled about why I SHOULD. What I mean is, I don't understand the moral argument in favour of it.

It seems like a pretty simple issue to me. If I find someone attractive and approach them, then it is perfectly reasonable that I might cause them some level of distress when I do: Awkwardness or annoyance or creeped-out-ness. I don't presume this level of distress would be large, nor do I think it'd necessarily happen 100 per cent of the time. But the moral calculus here seems very easy: I can do something that is reasonable to cause some level of distress and have no positive outcomes, or I could refrain.

Furthermore, as I said, I'm a man. I believe that men have a moral responsibility to keep from doing anything that causes sexually relevant distress in others. (It's not that other genders LACK this responsibility, but for men in our society it's especially important.) With this in mind, I can't imagine any possible justification for me possibly ever approaching anyone in that way, in any context.

This also applies to finding someone attractive. If I see someone I think is hot, I'm likely to show a bunch of nonverbal, subtle signs of this, even if I try not to. The object of my attraction could very easily pick up on these behaviours and feel that same distress. I consider this slightly more forgivable than approaching someone, since it involves behaviours I can't directly control. But since I'm aware of the possibility, don't I have the responsibility to cut these feelings off at the pass as much as possible?

I'm aware that it's not completely outside the realm of possibility that someone might respond positively to me, because they're deep in the long tail of some population distribution. But that would make ME feel bad... someone so open or generous could be dating anybody, and so there's certainly better people than me they could be with. And if their issue is low self-esteem, then I'd feel like I was taking advantage of them.

I'm aware of one common answer to this question: Because my line of thinking here often leads to resentment and bitterness, which in turn lead to hurting others. But no form of anger has ever made sense to me, in this context. Anger is for when something UNJUST happens... and there's nothing unjust about this.

It might cause me SADNESS or DISAPPOINTMENT that someone doesn't reciprocate my attraction, but sadness is just part of life, and it's honestly not that bad. And it's hardly something to blame someone for, if they have preferences that exclude me.

The other problem is that this results in neediness, but that seems like kind of the same thing. I'm not a lonely person, thankfully; there are plenty of people with whom I have emotionally intimate relationships. So I don't think that's a danger, either.

I don't write because this is a big issue that's causing me daily turmoil, but more as a genuine expression of confusion. Many people (including you) seem to presume that a guy in a situation like mine should just approach people with confidence and then be cool when rejected. Sure, that's better than NOT being cool, but how is the morally superior option not just to refrain? The worst-case scenario is, someone would want to be with me and so we both miss out on it, but this is highly unlikely, and... I mean, grow up and deal.

The other option is I cause sexually relevant distress in people more often than necessary, and that just does not seem like the side to err on. The only person whose behaviour I have responsibility over is myself; how could I not pay attention to that to minimise hurt in other people?

So... what's the argument, here? How is it possibly morally justified for me to find people attractive, much less approach them because of it?

Thanks,

Immanuel Can't

Which one of you grid girl haters wrote into Dr nerdlove?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Think that's a Linux user.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Pirate Radar posted:

You may think that, but I have to warn you that she’s accompanied by Jizza Phwoarbyn, Gladimhere Putitin, Knickerless Virgin*, and Boris Johnson.

*this one took me a while to get, not because I don’t know who Nicola Sturgeon is, but because I expected better wordplay

For sure they could all take some mentoring from Marghimthere Snatcher and Libid(o) Cumheron

poty fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 16, 2017

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

GramCracker posted:

What about the Euro truck expansion pack?

Its the best map expension theyve done to date. Unfortunately it makes the oldest parts of the map look pretty dated, but this can be solved with map mods.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

Its the best map expension theyve done to date. Unfortunately it makes the oldest parts of the map look pretty dated, but this can be solved with map mods.

Da gently caress is this? A Bethesda game? Come onnnnn

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Euro Truck Simulator is when you play F1 2017 as Ferrari.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
F1 2017 was supposed to be the one to drag me back into their lovely games with the whole tech tree and development. But you gain resource points so god drat slowly and the same practice tests over and over is so tedious that you just quickly burn out on it. It sucks.

Here's hoping F1 2018 makes it seem more fun rather than stupidly grindy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

F1 2017 was supposed to be the one to drag me back into their lovely games with the whole tech tree and development. But you gain resource points so god drat slowly and the same practice tests over and over is so tedious that you just quickly burn out on it. It sucks.

Here's hoping F1 2018 makes it seem more fun rather than stupidly grindy.

Progression in F1 2018 will almost certainly be entirely through loot crates.

Video gaming is dead.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ilmucche posted:

I think pc culture is great for f1. A variety of streaming options and race highlights on youtube have made the sport accessible to the pc generation.

Same here.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

Video gaming is dead.

Luckily Death Stranding will save gaming.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Video gaming is dead.

Nintendo welcomes you with open arms friend. They don't have need for silly loot crates.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Human Grand Prix posted:

Luckily Death Stranding will save gaming.

Watch it have Norman Reedus cough up loot babies.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

iospace posted:

Nintendo welcomes you with open arms friend. They don't have need for silly loot crates.

Have you heard of amiibo?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Have you heard of amiibo?

True, but they aren't needed to advance in a game (and you actually get something tangible with them, instead of loot crates which are pixels).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nintendo is actually cool and still give a poo poo about games.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

All games are bad

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Norns posted:

All games are bad

All sports, too.

Sports games doubly so.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Agreed

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m bad at video games with the exception of world of Warcraft on PVP servers and Eve online (I gave them up years ago though). Turns out I am actually very good at being a griefing arsehole in mmos.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I haven't played ETS since going east, so i figured i would check it out again.

Finally, enough light!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like Cabovers but they are basically extinct in North America aside from the Japanese Medium Duty trucks.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
loving lol 1500quid you magnificent bastard. Just checked my mail.

:nws::nws::nws:And, let's be honest, you know exactly what is coming next... :nws::nws::nws:

https://i.imgur.com/1DkWRjb.jpg

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 16, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Human Grand Prix posted:

Luckily Cyberpunk 2077 will save gaming.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

loving lmbo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The only good video games are Mario, Zelda, and What Remains of Edith Finch.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Human Grand Prix posted:

I like Cabovers but they are basically extinct in North America aside from the Japanese Medium Duty trucks.

You can still order a freightliner argosy glider kit, or a C500 as a cabover. up until 2012? they still used the old K-series cabs, now they use DAF cabs!

You can also get class 6-7 kenworths that are rebadged DAFs.

there aren't many out there, so during the apocalypse it could be hard to find one for your war rig.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m stealing a lamborghini nitro to use as my war rig.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

learnincurve posted:

I’m stealing a lamborghini nitro to use as my war rig.

I know where this thing is parked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ETWTmlX11U

Gonna mount a motorhome on the front half and a fuel tank on the back half and drive to russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

loving lol 1500quid you magnificent bastard. Just checked my mail.

:nws::nws::nws:And, let's be honest, you know exactly what is coming next... :nws::nws::nws:

https://i.imgur.com/1DkWRjb.jpg

This needs to be in the 2018 Thread op

• Locked thread