Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shear Modulus posted:

multiple new chinese server farms burning 50 megawatts of coal each to solve useless makework cryptography problems to inflate the world's dumbest and least substantial speculative bubble of all time and killing all life on earth in the process owns

technically bitcoin is deflating not inflating, which is uh kinda bad for a currency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ThndrShk2k posted:

If China is the king of green energy technology, China is then the big shot in the post-coal economy.

Renewable energy technology is a huge race atm.

So it actually still is economics. The GOP keeps bringing up War on Coal as an essentially culture war wedge issue when coal is going to die all on its own, and China's simply being more ... realistic?

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

technically bitcoin is deflating not inflating, which is uh kinda bad for a currency
Technically it's constantly inflating until 21million coins are released.

But yes, realistically as a stand alone currency Bitcoin is deflating, but it's exchange price is inflating comparatively to USD which many people do as they consider it a commodity and not a currency.

Which is how many people view actual money too.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

gradenko_2000 posted:

So it actually still is economics. The GOP keeps bringing up War on Coal as an essentially culture war wedge issue when coal is going to die all on its own, and China's simply being more ... realistic?
Lol yeah, China's got it's eye on the ball. They got all the resources to make the electronic technology we crave.
If they do a couple moves right they could literally become self sufficient and the largest economic power at the same time

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
My understanding is that the other thing is the chinese leadership does not actually like giant clouds of smog, and would like giant clouds of smog to be less of a thing.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
China will still have massive coal plants running 20/30 years into the future, don't kid yourself, it's just smart enough to really build up a renewable industry

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A ton of right-wing policy across the western world has been literally to spite environmentalists for decades, now. China doesn't care about them, which is actually an improvement.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
How do I accelerate the bit coin crash? It really is the dumbest loving thing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

reignonyourparade posted:

My understanding is that the other thing is the chinese leadership does not actually like giant clouds of smog, and would like giant clouds of smog to be less of a thing.

yeah...China’s pollution is up to an insane level. to the point that a lot of livable/farmable environments have been deteriorating. moving to green energy is a smart move, but they aren’t being benevolent about it and more “holy poo poo we are all gonna choke to death in a decade if we keep shoveling coal.”

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The Nastier Nate posted:

Start mining

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The Nastier Nate posted:

get a second mortgage and put it all in bitcoin

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

get a second mortgage and put it all in bitcoin

my second mortgage already went to Campaign in North Africa

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
wait so the entire reason bitcoins value has skyrocketed is because of the sheer amount of physical energy it takes to generate new ones?

lol; lmao

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

anime was right posted:

wait so the entire reason bitcoins value has skyrocketed is because of the sheer amount of physical energy it takes to generate new ones?

lol; lmao

There are probably lots of reasons, but the fact that it’s becoming harder and harder to bring new bit coins into the market probably is a factor in raising the value of existing ones.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anime was right posted:

lol; lmao

the reason why it keeps going up up up is because it can only go up so you gotta get in now

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

one of my favorite parts of bitcion is that it takes like $30-40 now just to get your transaction acknowledged on the blockchain or whatever the gently caress, and it can still take hours to go through.

the currency of the future

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/941919090679189504

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
bitcoins have become more valuable because people want them, so they become more valuable so more people want them, so they become more valuable so peopl

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
releasing my limited print of beanie baby cryptocurrency

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol if China destroys the environment in the pursuit of fake internet money

chairman mao looks down from heaven and sighs as he rests his face in his palms

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

chinas green industry boom is a facade that either fails to perform to standard or is a literal facade made to look good for photographs much like the rest of the prc's finances

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

logikv9 posted:

bitcoins have become more valuable because people want them, so they become more valuable so more people want them, so they become more valuable so peopl

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pepperoneedy posted:

You must consolidate additional data centers

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Imagine a monetary system where every time you pay for something, a fraction of the transaction gets removed from the money supply forever. That sounds insanely good and cool, imho.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

logikv9 posted:

And by want you mean hoard. The cost rocketing, as far as I know, is caused by a crisis in liquidity first and foremost. Couple years ago a single Bitcoin owner attempted to liquidate his hoard and it crashed the whole economy.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

loquacius posted:

Tito Jackson challenged Marty Walsh for mayor of Boston and nobody outside of a few poorer neighborhoods and the Internet ever heard about him

I saw a bunch of yard signs for Tito Jackson! I guess that means I'm in one of the poorer neighborhoods

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

bitscoins arent a currency, theyre tulip bulbs but even less useful. Also a bitscoin was 'worth' $2k two months ago, and is now 'worth' $16k. 800% growth in two months is a classic hallmark of a very stable commodity that will certainly hold its value for years to come.

My spellcheck recognizes 'bitcoin' as a real word and I am very upset about that

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So Bitcoin is doing bad even though it's up 6000%?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

It is extremely normal for very real commodities to suddenly massively increase in price in a short time frame because of the underlying fundamental value that a bitscoin represents

E: So yes this is good for bitcoins

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

It is a very successful pyramid scheme.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

punk rebel ecks posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

lol if China destroys the environment in the pursuit of fake internet money

chairman mao looks down from heaven and sighs as he rests his face in his palms

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Nastier Nate posted:

Honestly? Just wait. It's like a perpetual motion machine, but for human stupidity.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, the government just got clearance from the courts to sell off the 8.4 million in bitcoins it seized as part of the aaron shamo case, so the price is going to drop.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I mean, the government just got clearance from the courts to sell off the 8.4 million in bitcoins it seized as part of the aaron shamo case, so the price is going to drop.

Given Bitcoin’s incredible rise in price over the last year, the sale is likely to result in the highest number of dollars of any forfeited cryptocurrency associated with a criminal bust. In 2014, nearly 30,000 bitcoins that once belonged to the notorious Silk Road website were sold to Tim Draper, a well-known Silicon Valley venture capitalist.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

dads friend steve posted:

one of my favorite parts of bitcion is that it takes like $30-40 now just to get your transaction acknowledged on the blockchain or whatever the gently caress, and it can still take hours to go through.

the currency of the future
Transaction fees are pretty reasonable for how much in BTC it requires and all those fees go to keeping the network up. (pays miners, especially when there are 0 new coins).

It's basically like taxes on the economic system to maintain the quality entire system, but 100% goes to what it's meant to unlike actual taxes.

Other crypto have risen to be the lower value/denomination currency at the moment so it's better to invest in those than directly with bitcoin at the moment, especially if you need to transfer that small amount of investment out anytime soon.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Agean90 posted:

chinas green industry boom is a facade that either fails to perform to standard or is a literal facade made to look good for photographs much like the rest of the prc's finances
It's entirely business so I agree it's not altruistic, but I doubt it's actually a forced non-effort

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine a monetary system where every time you pay for something, a fraction of the transaction gets removed from the money supply forever. That sounds insanely good and cool, imho.
That sounds weird and gimmicky.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Not a Step posted:

bitscoins arent a currency, theyre tulip bulbs but even less useful. Also a bitscoin was 'worth' $2k two months ago, and is now 'worth' $16k. 800% growth in two months is a classic hallmark of a very stable commodity that will certainly hold its value for years to come.

My spellcheck recognizes 'bitcoin' as a real word and I am very upset about that
Bitcoin is a currency/money system, it just has no basis of value other than what people want and the value of how it manages value transfers.

Money is just a means of value transfer, and not value in of itself.
People still attribute value to money which is why the current world economy is the way it is and that is also why bitcoin is worth so much beyond just the value of it's capabilities of a value transfer system.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

etalian posted:

Given Bitcoin’s incredible rise in price over the last year, the sale is likely to result in the highest number of dollars of any forfeited cryptocurrency associated with a criminal bust. In 2014, nearly 30,000 bitcoins that once belonged to the notorious Silk Road website were sold to Tim Draper, a well-known Silicon Valley venture capitalist.
Russia and China have a lot more than just 30k coveted. lol

They could crash the economy at any time. When it hit 12kusd china dumped a bunch to get it to 8-9k and then it bounced back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ThndrShk2k posted:

Russia and China have a lot more than just 30k coveted. lol

They could crash the economy at any time. When it hit 12kusd china dumped a bunch to get it to 8-9k and then it bounced back.

The Silk Road story was funny how the techie dork bragged how FBI agents were too dumb to catch him.

• Locked thread