Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Busy Bee posted:

How would living in Japan where the voltage is 100 volts instead of 120V in North American and 230V in places in Europe affect my mining?

not at all, use a japanese psu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

not at all, use a japanese psu

I did a search on amazon.co.jp and here are the results: https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_ja_JP=%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%8A&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=PSU

I see some Corsair's and other American brands but how do I know from the listing that they are compatible with the Japanese 100V system?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Busy Bee posted:

I did a search on amazon.co.jp and here are the results: https://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_ja_JP=%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%8A&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=PSU

I see some Corsair's and other American brands but how do I know from the listing that they are compatible with the Japanese 100V system?

leave the house and go to a japanese pc store you goon. Do you have a yodobashi camera nearby?

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

Busy Bee posted:

How would living in Japan where the voltage is 100 volts instead of 120V in North American and 230V in places in Europe affect my mining?

It won't effect your mining efficiency. The lower voltage means lower max watts on a single circuit, but as long as your not using some bestial 1000+ watt power supply you'll be fine.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’ve been mining vertcoin for a couple days but haven’t gotten near the $3.00 daily that what to mine says I should be getting.

Are there better pools or better programs beyond the one-click miner VC uses?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Use your glorious nippon electricity to scam weeaboos.

You could likely seriously convince the overlap between butters and weebs that Japanese bitcoin is inherently better.

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

tehinternet posted:

I’ve been mining vertcoin for a couple days but haven’t gotten near the $3.00 daily that what to mine says I should be getting.

One-Click-Miner's P2P pools can be pretty spotty. Fortunately OCM can also use normal pools.

I use the Easymine pool. To set it up click the add pool in lower right and put in:
stratum+tcp://lyra2.easymine.online:5000
for the pool address, put in x for the password, and add in your wallet address like normal. Also OCM has a 1% donation rate to its creaters set by default so make sure you set that to 0 in settings menu.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, if you were actually going to plug in an electric space heater, running a rig you were going to have anyways is still profitable. This could change at any moment, of course. If your house uses something more effective for heating, like natural gas or an electric heat pump, those would probably break even with electrical resistance-based heat and your rationalization falls apart.

Note that something like a GTX 1070 is only going to put out like 150 watts, which is 1/10th of what a spaceheater would do. I have a 1080ti FE with the blower aimed directly at my face, jamming out 400 watts, so that's much better and actually heats my small cold-rear end room.

WinMiner is arguably better than NiceHash, in practice it earns like "10-20%" less for whatever reasons (either growing pains or they're skimming more off the top than they claim), but unlike NiceHash they actually got around to paying me (I cashed out $20 today to an Amazon GC and it worked).

Edit: Also, you'd better make sure you can get a good deal on a GPU because with Volta already out they're going to be depreciating a lot real soon.

Neat, I'll see about how this all works with my laptop. I'll see how it works when I'm at the office since I'll have effectively free power to see how easy this is. I'm sure it won't make any money as cpu mining is trash, but it won't cost me anything and it'll be an interesting experiment to see how well it works. If it seems to have a low impact on performance because it properly scales down its utilization when the computer is in use and is easy to setup and run I might give it a shot when I do upgrade my home pc in a week or so.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

tehinternet posted:

If you're a small-fish miner, in most cases you should be appending /0 to your wallet address. This will reduce the difficulty, which has the end effect of increasing accepted shares and upping your payouts. Also don't mine to like 10 different pools at the same time, since it'll just mean you're not earning shares efficiently anywhere.

OCM is a fairly solid program in and of itself--basically any issues you'll have with payouts and profitability is going to be a problem with the pool.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

If you're a small-fish miner, in most cases you should be appending /0 to your wallet address. This will reduce the difficulty, which has the end effect of increasing accepted shares and upping your payouts. Also don't mine to like 10 different pools at the same time, since it'll just mean you're not earning shares efficiently anywhere.

OCM is a fairly solid program in and of itself--basically any issues you'll have with payouts and profitability is going to be a problem with the pool.

From my understanding, the difficulty you specify (including with a "d=xyz" password) is just a hint and the stratum will adapt to the shares you actually push out.

If you have multiple machines going it would behoove you to run a stratum-proxy for things you are mining on a lot.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, I'll admit to not being 100% sure how the whole difficulty bits actually work at a low level. I do know that, as a small-fish miner myself (a single 1080), I went from having multiple days without payouts to getting fairly stable payouts by using the /0 flag.

But yeah, if you're a serious miner running your own pool/proxy makes a lot of sense.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

DrDork posted:

Bit more info on this. As a very small-fish miner (26MH/s) where do I add this /0 to my wallet address? At the end of the string of wallet characters?

I'm using One Click Miner in the Easy Mine pool.

AOTKPTW fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 14, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yes. So when you open OCM and do Search for Pools or whatever it's called to add a new pool, you put in your wallet address to get paid with a /0 on the end. So it'll be something like VhoawhljhDWHLJAljhdaljhwodhiao/0

Presumably you can use other numbers to tune the difficulty, but I haven't bothered to look into that much.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

DrDork posted:

Yes. So when you open OCM and do Search for Pools or whatever it's called to add a new pool, you put in your wallet address to get paid with a /0 on the end. So it'll be something like VhoawhljhDWHLJAljhdaljhwodhiao/0

Presumably you can use other numbers to tune the difficulty, but I haven't bothered to look into that much.

Thanks. I only started yesterday and earned 0.3VTC in a few hours but have had nothing since so hopefully this helps.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I mine ZEC with my nvidia cards using nanopool, much more reliable than VTC and praying for correct payouts.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
I've been using awesomeminer + miningpoolhub for the past few weeks it seems decent.

If you want a good write up on VTC one click and setting your difficulty, read here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vertcoin/comments/70ia0b/mining_optimizing_for_vtc_if_youre_connected_to_a/

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Alzion posted:

One-Click-Miner's P2P pools can be pretty spotty. Fortunately OCM can also use normal pools.

I use the Easymine pool. To set it up click the add pool in lower right and put in:
stratum+tcp://lyra2.easymine.online:5000
for the pool address, put in x for the password, and add in your wallet address like normal. Also OCM has a 1% donation rate to its creaters set by default so make sure you set that to 0 in settings menu.

That’s super helpful, thanks!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

PSU's are less efficient with lower AC input voltages. Going from 120 to 220/240 can reduce PSU waste by something like 5%. Probably won't matter too much for an individual miner or a handful of systems but it adds up at the server room/data center scale.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

AOTKPTW posted:

Bit more info on this. As a very small-fish miner (26MH/s) where do I add this /0 to my wallet address? At the end of the string of wallet characters?

I'm using One Click Miner in the Easy Mine pool.

Unnecessary on Easy Mine:

Easy Mine Frontpage posted:

Ensure you replace "Your-Vertcoin-Address" with your Vertcoin wallet address. If you do not use the correct address, you will not earn any rewards.
You do not need to include any difficulty modifiers at the end of your wallet address - doing so will cause your estimated payouts to remain at 0.

AOTKPTW
Nov 27, 2011

#nalPlE

jvilmi posted:

Unnecessary on Easy Mine:

Can't believe I missed that, thanks.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Soylent got banned from import to canada for being so lovely don't buy it. There's constant complaints of mold under the seals.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Not trying to defend Soylent, but weren't the banned because they claimed to be a complete meal replacement, not because they were poo poo with contaminants and whatnot?

I think it was something stupid like meal replacements by statute being 30% fat, while Soylent was 32%.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Wild speculation: ETN has survived post ico launch/dump, going to appreciate back to pre-wallet levels (700+ satoshis)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
BTW, I have a PC that disconnecting from WinMiner, where it's still mining but doesn't show on the site, I seem to have figure out a workaround where I open Task Scheduler in Windows and tell it to launch a reboot.bat file on Login. The bat file contains "reboot -r -t 3600", which reboots once per hour and seems to keep things going while I'm at work.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
This isn't a fix, but you can have task scheduler reboot instead of launching a .bat file. Something feels weird about doing it in 2 steps.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Thats a good idea, its not the most stable thing in the world for me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm confused about the proof of stake system. How does the system determine if a block a validator bet on is accurate or not? And won't it result in just a handful of people have complete power over the network?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Nitrousoxide posted:

And won't it result in just a handful of people have complete power over the network?

now you might think this was literally the point, but

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So Awesome Miner + MiningPoolHub seems to be pretty drat good for me. Mostly mining Lyra2re2 and Monero (via XMRIG). Seem to be averaging about $10 CAD / day which is pretty hot poo poo. Awesome Miner is a bitch to setup mostly because it's UI is completely garbage.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
https://twitter.com/NiceHashMining/status/941670265146224642

Difficulty is about to go up

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did they tell everyone with a prior balance to get hosed yet?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

PerrineClostermann posted:

Did they tell everyone with a prior balance to get hosed yet?

Whats sad is I'd probably use nicehash again if the returns were clearly better too despite losing 0.019

(someone did just say to me "last I heard theyre paying everyone back" though)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

1gnoirents posted:

Whats sad is I'd probably use nicehash again if the returns were clearly better too despite losing 0.019

(someone did just say to me "last I heard theyre paying everyone back" though)

It would be the nice thing to do

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I wonder what part will be declared a "haircut" and give everyone "nicehash" coins. It worked for bitfinex.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I have a different set of goals for my mini mining rig... I want to heat my house. Basically my house has poo poo heating and I currently use my tumble dryer in conjunction with some oil filled radiators to heat it. I am thinking my lovely PC my son uses for youtube could get a GPU upgrade to make it a miner and heat the upstairs of my digs. Its main requirement would be to payback the price of electricity which here in the UK is high. Any ideas on the card I should go for? It obviously doesn't need to be amazing buy HOT = GOOD.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

thegasman2000 posted:

I have a different set of goals for my mini mining rig... I want to heat my house. Basically my house has poo poo heating and I currently use my tumble dryer in conjunction with some oil filled radiators to heat it. I am thinking my lovely PC my son uses for youtube could get a GPU upgrade to make it a miner and heat the upstairs of my digs. Its main requirement would be to payback the price of electricity which here in the UK is high. Any ideas on the card I should go for? It obviously doesn't need to be amazing buy HOT = GOOD.

make sure your motherboard has a compatible pci 16 slot, PSU with proper expansion plugs and enough watt capacity.

radeon rx series runs hot
might also consider the nvidia gtx 1080ti

check the inside of your case to assure there's enough headroom for drying fruits

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

Computer Serf posted:

check the inside of your case to assure there's enough headroom for drying fruits

Thinking of roasting coffee in there... Uber hipster.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
NiceHash CEO interview in WikiTribune. Not a lot of actual information, but it's coverage in proper media. (The journalist has pinged me for tips on the story.)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

divabot posted:

(The journalist has pinged me for tips on the story.)

(1) to kill the cyberdemon, shoot it until it dies

(2) don't invest in Bitcoin

(why are people so uptight about the term bcash?)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

divabot posted:

NiceHash CEO interview in WikiTribune. Not a lot of actual information, but it's coverage in proper media. (The journalist has pinged me for tips on the story.)

“That being said, while for now I’m willing to give [NiceHash] the time necessary to make things right, I will give them my business again in the future only if at some point they are able to repay users and show that they truly improved their security,” he said. “If it doesn’t work out, I’ll just move on regardless of the amount I’ve invested into them in the past.”

He gets the soul of Bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was thinking of doing something like creating an old school bitcoin faucet site that looks like it has been chilling in some corner of the internet since 2012 unnoticed, which pays out like $100 per user in coins every 24 hours. After nerds notice it's fully functional & it goes viral, I would add a captcha that uses characters from the Voynich Manuscript. Then I'd harvest an image of the captcha presented to the user, as well as the response given. The final version of the site would just be a transcript of these attempts to approximate Voynich in QWERTY.

• Locked thread