Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Songbearer posted:

I don't fear inventory management anymore since I can get what I want pretty quickly.
Yeah pretty much.

Does anyone have a trick for targeting in VATS? It seems ridiculously hard, and I'm pretty sure that can't be a controller issue. How the gently caress does it decide where you are pointing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Seashell Salesman posted:

Yeah pretty much.

Does anyone have a trick for targeting in VATS? It seems ridiculously hard, and I'm pretty sure that can't be a controller issue. How the gently caress does it decide where you are pointing?

I believe the RPG elements of Fallout 4 awkwardly stand out in VATS mode and your accurately is determined through an RNG influenced by your character's stats.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 16, 2017

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Seashell Salesman posted:

Yeah pretty much.

This seems to really help:
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4vr/comments/7k3f7x/vats_tweak_to_reduce_target_constantly_changing/

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'll try this out. It's really frustrating that I normally either want to target torso or head and those are the two targets that the VATS UI just never wants to highlight.

iceaim posted:

I believe the RPG elements of Fallout 4 awkwardly stand out in VATS mode and your accurately is determined through an RNG influenced by your character's stats.
I don't mean "where the bullet ends up" I mean "where VATS highlights and then takes as your target."

e: also for anyone interested I went to Boston and it's a total stuttery mess, and you can grab Grognak's Axe through its case without unlocking it like you can with the Cryolator.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 16, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got LA Noire running in the Rift but I’m getting a lot of jittery shake which I think is tracking issues. Any tips?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Taintrunner posted:

I got LA Noire running in the Rift but I’m getting a lot of jittery shake which I think is tracking issues. Any tips?

I've seen a recommendation to make sure all the reprojection options for steamVR are turned off via openvr advanced settings, and if that doesn't work, try using the oculus tray tool to force ASW always on. I haven't tried any of it mind you, I don't have the game, just stuff I've heard.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The new stand out update that just came out today has a helicopter, and, well, I did this in it: https://clips.twitch.tv/FlirtyInnocentCrabKappaClaus

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

rage-saq posted:

The new stand out update that just came out today has a helicopter, and, well, I did this in it: https://clips.twitch.tv/FlirtyInnocentCrabKappaClaus

Are you supposed to be rappeling or is there no fall damage?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Zero VGS posted:

Are you supposed to be rappeling or is there no fall damage?

No fall damage, I suspect that is about to change. Rappeling would be so dope.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Hellsau posted:

The game is hardlocked to prevent Rift and WMR headsets from working. That's not something that happens by accident.

I never said it happened by accident, I suspect they didn't have time/equipment/expertise/QA to support the Rift/WMR so they locked them out. They should have communicated it but makes plenty of sense from a development perspective. I'm sure they'll open it up shortly same with all of the other Vive only content. Unless HTC paid for it (which I've heard of none of that besides their own teams, which have made what 3 small games) no one is trying to keep anything Vive exclusive.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Jesus how hard is it for game developers to just announce, in advance, what actual headsets it will work on, what the control methods are, etc.
I've got a Vive and it still totally loving pisses me off. And right after Bethesda did the same poo poo. If HTC/Valve has anything to do with it behind the scenes then I've lost all respect and they're just as bad as Oculus was judged to be. At least Oculus was upfront, with a gameplan (exclusives let us invest $), which I think they followed through with and kicked tons of goals along the way.

On a related note, DoomVFR/Fallout4 were my first direct experience with 'Bethesda game = broken on launch' and I can't believe how incredibly accurate it is. Why is their usability testing so poor? Time pressures?

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 16, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

At this point I see bethesda games as having a release date a couple months after it comes out, and I just pretend thats the release date. Then I can at least jump right in after the community has fixed all their poo poo for free.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I got fallout 4. And after I did all the .ini fixing it's actually kinda cool in a hanky way.

I didn't like fallout 4 to begin with. The game was just kinda meh on all levels. And this VR port is kinda bad and pretty low effort. (Why are my hands not thier own physics objects?) But the two combined is kinda fun.

Unless you really want to throw money away, wait till a sale. But I donno I'm kinda enjoying it in all its janky glory.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chadzok posted:

Jesus how hard is it for game developers to just announce, in advance, what actual headsets it will work on, what the control methods are, etc.
I've got a Vive and it still totally loving pisses me off. And right after Bethesda did the same poo poo. If HTC/Valve has anything to do with it behind the scenes then I've lost all respect and they're just as bad as Oculus was judged to be. At least Oculus was upfront, with a gameplan (exclusives let us invest $), which I think they followed through with and kicked tons of goals along the way.

On a related note, DoomVFR/Fallout4 were my first direct experience with 'Bethesda game = broken on launch' and I can't believe how incredibly accurate it is. Why is their usability testing so poor? Time pressures?

People always give Bethesda games a pass for being incredibly broken and it literally gets worse every time they put out a new one

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Fallout 4 is fun in VR, but then I got totally stuck when I tried to go drop some items into a Workshop. It opened both the Workshop Inventory interface and the Settlement interface at the same time and I couldn't close either, so I had to close the game from the SteamVR dashboard :(

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Improbable Lobster posted:

People always give Bethesda games a pass for being incredibly broken and it literally gets worse every time they put out a new one
December Game Syndrome is definitely a thing. Especially if it got delayed from November.

If you have the patience to wait about 8 months to play a December game patches have usually finished by then.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure if I've just gotten lucky or if the quests in Fallout 4 are better than I remember. So far I've done Tenpenny Pines/Corvega, went towards town and found Cambridge Fabrication, then did the BoS ArcJet Systems quest. Hit up Diamond City but on my way responded to the Trinity Tower distress call. Then in Diamond City some guy wanted me to help him intimidate the bartender that his wife was cheating with, but that turned into a whole thing where I ambushed a drug deal, killed everyone and got directions to some secret chemlab.

i had done maybe half of these before and half were new, but they were all pretty great. I'm wondering if I've lucked into some better than average quests or if the game is just better than I remember.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

This. I get that there aren't many RPGs around of the scale they put out but I didn't buy Fallout 4 and I just won't buy any more from them. The company is one step above CIG to me; they have been making $$$ off their broken games and letting modders fix them post release for years and there has never been any sign they give a drat or have any interest in fixing their poo poo as long as the money keeps rolling in.
:argh: vidya game rage

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

The Walrus posted:

i had done maybe half of these before and half were new, but they were all pretty great. I'm wondering if I've lucked into some better than average quests or if the game is just better than I remember.

Doing them in VR is a lot different than doing the same thing on your monitor.

So far I hate the combat, but love the world. I can't aim for poo poo and stealth is really janky, but that's more me than the game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It really does suck that your options for builds are more limited if you want to have a good experience in VR. I went with 9s in INT, PER and AGI and am playing a pistols/energy/VATS guy, and it works very very well. High % shots in VATS make up for difficulty aiming at range and the pistols are by far the most usable weapons.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

So uh, I know the pimax 4k isnt all that fantastic but has anyone seen or heard anything about the pimax 8k? All I have heard is that it is an upscaled 4kish input, and that the company making them is kinda small.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I want a VR game with FO4's story and world without the menu jank and extra complications like VATS and crafting. The story was really pulling me in, and I got to the part where some guy on a balcony tells you to pick up the laser musket and come in the building and I think I picked it up but it's not in my available weapons and the menu feedback is super lacking. I shot a couple dudes when I entered but it was bedtime and time to turn it off.

Sometimes I had hands. Sometimes I had controllers for hands. Menus suck to navigate even with the rift tweaks provided by the open VR controller emulator thing. The mechanic of looking in the mirror at the start was laughably bad because I could just walk around the room or through the wall and check out the neighborhood. I clumsily explored around the pip boy and found some perks screen and it seems like there certainly is a lot of stuff to this game, and really I just don't want to deal with all that.

Some of my complaints are probably because I just don't get fallout and some of my complaints are just because it was such a low effort VR port but whatever it is, it's a refund.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 16, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i know they have like 8 hundred of my dollars and i hope its good. its a 1440p image upscaled to 4k in each eye. the really cool thing imo is the 200 degree fov. i really hope it actually comes out, though the only games that will run at a decent framerate on it are simpler and very well optimized ones.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Wiggy

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
never streamed anything before but streaming fallout 4 vr for fun. should be playing it most of today. https://www.twitch.tv/lljkwalrus

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Would you guys recommend playing FO4VR now, or waiting til some improvements come?

Never played FO4 before, so I'm hoping my first experience will be good.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

Would you guys recommend playing FO4VR now, or waiting til some improvements come?

i am loving it but ymmv. if you can look past some jank and try and immerse yourself its great. you need a high end system though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ShadowHawk posted:

December Game Syndrome is definitely a thing. Especially if it got delayed from November.

If you have the patience to wait about 8 months to play a December game patches have usually finished by then.

Bethesda didn't fix a huge number of quest and game breaking glitches for the Skyrim rereleases, why would this be any different?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

smoobles posted:

I’m considering it too now that the biggest Rift issues are fixed. I have issues with giving them 60 bucks for such a shorty job though and am going to have to think about it.

Also I agree with what was posted above about exclusivity and think that exclusive games on Steam is what bugs me the most. They should make their own store if they want Vive exclusives. It also bugs me that these are games that were available to anyone that are now being made exclusive to only one VR headset - if they were new games then I might feel differently. Someone mentioned on Reddit that Bethesda, for example, is screwing their customers and someone else who was really clutching onto their Vive exclusive defenses said that we are not their customers because we had not bought their game. But my guess is that we ALL have bought Fallout, Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind or whatever and I would definitely consider myself one of their customers so to have a game that I bought already on Steam, which is a universal pc platform, and have it be exclusive to one dumb headset grinds my gears. If Oculus were releasing exclusives on Steam I would be just as peeved about it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bethesda jank, plus low effort VR port jank with optional bonus screw oculus jank equals wait for a big sale.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Enos Cabell posted:

Bethesda jank, plus low effort VR port jank with optional bonus screw oculus jank equals wait for a big sale.

19.99 or less as it sits.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

19.99 or less as it sits.

That's my number too. I put 100 hours or so into FO4 with no mods, so I can put up with jank, but I've got my limits.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

The Walrus posted:

i know they have like 8 hundred of my dollars and i hope its good. its a 1440p image upscaled to 4k in each eye. the really cool thing imo is the 200 degree fov. i really hope it actually comes out, though the only games that will run at a decent framerate on it are simpler and very well optimized ones.

Same. Havent heard much from them in a while, worryingly. Fingers crossed theyll have fixed the optics and controller issues by the Jan release. Really wanna try Subnautica/Elite/Pavol in it

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I've been having fun with it, particularly after installing those optimized texture packs and making those TAA ini tweaks, I had the Giant Bomb extra life stream playing through OVRdrop on my hand, something to watch while walking between settlements in the wasteland.

The 10mm pistol with a circular holosight is basically an instant win gun for anything short range, playing lots of Pavlov paid off there, I just wish scopes worked. There's been so many times already I've found myself at a perfect vantage point.

Addendum: Ubisoft should port FarCry to VR with Pavlov-like mechanics. Raiding bases is a hell of a lot of fun in FO4VR and the Ubisoft FarCry games use that as their main progression mechanic. It'd be a good fit.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 16, 2017

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

So is using vats a must for VR? I never used it any of the games unless the boss had specific targets I needed to hit.

For the most part I just go melee anyways as clubing poo poo to death never gets old for me. How well does that work?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SwissCM posted:

Addendum: Ubisoft should port FarCry to VR with Pavlov-like mechanics. Raiding bases is a hell of a lot of fun in FO4VR and the Ubisoft FarCry games use that as their main progression mechanic. It'd be a good fit.

This would be so, so good.

Like a lot of other people, especially given I have a Rift, I'll be waiting for 1st party patches and 3rd party mods. I played FO4 a bunch on PC so in no particular rush to get back into it in VR but I hope it gets where everyone wants it to be.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

As good or bad as FO4VR might be, it is basically an alpha test for the first open-world RPG built from the ground up with VR in mind.

After being blown away by even FO4's janky combat, I am convinced that when that future game finally drops, our brains are going to loving explode.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The question is, what three VR titles are Valve working on? And will any of them survive the development process.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
Jesus, every one here is playing FO4VR and making progress meanwhile I can't even get past one of the first missions you get where you're supposed to clear out a bunch of Raiders in a factory. I swear I've walked this factory over inch by inch after killing what felt like 50 of them, but seemingly there is some left that I can't find. I know this isn't a VR specific thing, but idiot me had no trouble doing this mission in FO4 vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

They honestly should have sold fallout VR as like a 20$ add on to the base fallout 4. They'd sell more copies of the regular game for people interested enough to try it, and they'd sell more of the VR to people who already own the base game and don't want to pay full retail price again for a game they already own with different controls.