Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Death to America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

That actually looks pretty bad.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Koalas March posted:

It's not "for Dems" it's "for" black people. I mean really think about the targeted campaigns against MLK, Malcom X, even Deray and Shaun King, and other civil rights leaders then and now. Think about the Tuskegee experiments and COINTELPRO and poo poo. Think about targeted voter suppression in black communities. Think about the bullshit "literacy tests" and every other hoop this country has made black people go though.

If you can't look at all of that and come to the conclusion it's even %1 plausible, then idk what tell ya

Deray basically works for the CIA and any corporation willing to buy their way into his tweets.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Under the vegetable posted:

Deray basically works for the CIA and any corporation willing to buy their way into his tweets.

Lol. I'm not mad at him for getting his hustle on. I would too like

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So I'm kinda torn here.

My innate distrust of people (What a bunch of bastards) makes me inherently believe that all these rear end in a top hat congressmen that have been accused of sexual assault are guilty.

BUT.

That same innate distrust of people (What a bunch of bastards) cannot help but wonder whether or not there are unethical 'former aides' or 'former colleagues' and whatnot that are making unprovable accusations as either revenge or political assassination.

But then I worry, does my personal political leanings influence my ability to trust whether or not someone's accusations are real? Is it fair to the accused when we simply accept all accusations at face value? Is it fair to the accusers if we insist on actual proof other than he-said-she-said when it's an incident from 15+ years ago? How can I make an educated opinion as to the person's supposed guilt?

I don't want to accuse an innocent man of wrongdoing, but neither do I want to be the one to ignore the cries of a rape victim. What's my options here?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

i hate manchin almost as much as fluffdaddy apparently hates bernie sanders

Yeah, no I get it now. He should be primaried by a popsickle stick.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Just a little something for this thread: my son had a recital today and attends a Christian pre-school. They are all very sweet ladies and I've had no problem with their very kiddie occasional "Jesus loves me" stuff. They never hit or even raise their voices to my son, they're very good with him. Well I went into the church (Baptist) before the show and they were playing "Christmas" music, and it was the most vile poo poo I've ever heard. It was all that terrible brand of contemporary Christian vaguely country-sounding crap, and the lyrics were disgusting culture war vomit like "America's sleeping, a darkness rises in the east, liberals say: save a tree, kill the children" poo poo. I could not believe it, and this was supposed to be a fun thing for parents to enjoy...they thought nothing of it, nothing at all. Warped minds.

:sever:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

khy posted:

So I'm kinda torn here.

My innate distrust of people (What a bunch of bastards) makes me inherently believe that all these rear end in a top hat congressmen that have been accused of sexual assault are guilty.

BUT.

That same innate distrust of people (What a bunch of bastards) cannot help but wonder whether or not there are unethical 'former aides' or 'former colleagues' and whatnot that are making unprovable accusations as either revenge or political assassination.

But then I worry, does my personal political leanings influence my ability to trust whether or not someone's accusations are real? Is it fair to the accused when we simply accept all accusations at face value? Is it fair to the accusers if we insist on actual proof other than he-said-she-said when it's an incident from 15+ years ago? How can I make an educated opinion as to the person's supposed guilt?

I don't want to accuse an innocent man of wrongdoing, but neither do I want to be the one to ignore the cries of a rape victim. What's my options here?

We shouldn't have heroes, only causes. We resist authoritarians by putting the rule of law and our ideals first, as soon as it becomes a question of a person being treated differently based on the affiliations they have, we've lost part of that.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Kozinski is getting called the gently caress out now: http://wapo.st/2zfKJnr

khy
Aug 15, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

We shouldn't have heroes, only causes. We resist authoritarians by putting the rule of law and our ideals first, as soon as it becomes a question of a person being treated differently based on the affiliations they have, we've lost part of that.

Okay that is a pretty nice statement but I'm having a difficult time trying to actually apply it. Like, I've never HEARD of half to three quarters of the dems and repubs that have been accused of sexual assault/harassment and I'm trying to find actual evidence to help me understand who's the one telling the truth. I know how easily my opinions could end up being manipulated by what I read/see/hear on the news and internet so I'm trying to figure out a way to make a judgement of my own and that's very difficult.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
That's the kind of dilemma that doesn't seem to exist in reality. Like in theory there could be a powerful person who abused their power in a sexual way just once and then never again. But... how? People like that do it specifically because they don't respect women/people/lower people and think they can get away with it. So they're just going to do it again. If one woman claimed something she couldn't prove I wouldn't believe her on face value, but I would expect it to be investigated fully and then I would keep her claim in mind for future reference. Then, when it inevitably comes out that the accused has a pattern for that sort of thing then you wouldn't have to rely on the completely unproven testimony of just one woman.

If a powerful guy inappropriately touched a woman once and then somehow never ever ever repeated it in their life and so gets away with it it's like, eh, at least it never happened again and they obviously must have changed. We already just have to accept a certain number of criminals of every category get away with their crimes.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

khy posted:

Okay that is a pretty nice statement but I'm having a difficult time trying to actually apply it. Like, I've never HEARD of half to three quarters of the dems and repubs that have been accused of sexual assault/harassment and I'm trying to find actual evidence to help me understand who's the one telling the truth. I know how easily my opinions could end up being manipulated by what I read/see/hear on the news and internet so I'm trying to figure out a way to make a judgement of my own and that's very difficult.

the vast majority of these allegations end up being correct. the few times people have tried to manipulate the process by making poo poo up have failed spectacularly (see the WaPo / project veritas thing). if an allegation occurs, the correct thing is to believe the accuser. investigations and defenses are going to happen on their own, they don't need you for that. but other potential victims who are not willing to come forward because they see people like them being disbelieved DO need the feeling that there's people who have their back.

it costs you nothing to change your mind if it really should come out that an allegation was wrong. it costs genuine victims a lot to go through a gauntlet of disbelief.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Not having disbelief is the important part yeah. Unless you actually know the accuser or have power over the situation then you don't really have to do anything but listen to and respect them. You as a random person don't have any other responsibilities in the situation as you can't really do anything about it. It can sometimes be hard to believe that even if you do intellectually know it, but all you can do is keep telling yourself it's not on you to act on things beyond your control.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Futuresight posted:

Not having disbelief is the important part yeah. Unless you actually know the accuser or have power over the situation then you don't really have to do anything but listen to and respect them. You as a random person don't have any other responsibilities in the situation as you can't really do anything about it. It can sometimes be hard to believe that even if you do intellectually know it, but all you can do is keep telling yourself it's not on you to act on things beyond your control.

Well yeah, I know that my opinion means squat when it comes to Trump's accusers, or whether or not Moore actually touched teenagers in a mall, Conyer, that judge above, Franken, etc. But all the same it feels bad when I let myself get caught up in dislike and hatred for someone who later on is proven to have done no wrong, and a part of me wonders if someone out there will be getting shat on by an accuser and end up leaving office when they were genuinely a good person trying to do good things. I don't think it's happened YET but I worry that the more high-profile accusations come out that eventually it will happen.

I almost want to say I want to avoid the issues because I don't want to come out on the wrong side of the pitchfork, but at the same time ignoring such important issues is what lets the powerful get away with it so I feel like I DEFINITELY can't do that. So I feel like as a part of NOT ignoring assaults I need to throw in support, and that's what prompted my question a bit earlier. This is helpful advice, thank you guys.

khy fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 16, 2017

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Instant Sunrise posted:

Also, Gothard's organization published this:

yeah...

Forgiveness is cool, but if you molest kids you should go to jail, not handle it internally. People in authority in churches should be mandatory reporters so they don't get cover for tolerating child molesters in their ranks.

People seem to think that forgiveness means you don't go to jail for crimes. Like it's a free pass. gently caress that and gently caress them.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

That actually looks pretty bad.
Welcome to the flip side of mass hysteria and trial-by-media! Doesn't matter if its a really blatant smear, the Dems will eat it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Welcome to the flip side of mass hysteria and trial-by-media! Doesn't matter if its a really blatant smear, the Dems will eat it.

Are you one of those people mad that Franken had to resign?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ice Phisherman posted:

Forgiveness is cool, but if you molest kids you should go to jail, not handle it internally. People in authority in churches should be mandatory reporters so they don't get cover for tolerating child molesters in their ranks.

People seem to think that forgiveness means you don't go to jail for crimes. Like it's a free pass. gently caress that and gently caress them.

On the Hana thing I vaguely remember that as that happened around the time I was the same age as here. Evangelical people are scum in Washington, I think they double down on crazy because the average person is so much less religious up here and has no interest in their bullshit.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 16, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
So Bobby Scott's accuser's attorney, who stood next to her during her annoucement, is a Seth Rich truther and Scott's office produced a pretty longass letter of recommendation he wrote for her that seems to undermine her contention that her rejecting his advances resulted in some kind of career blacklisting. More from the Virginian Pilot:

The Virginian Pilot posted:

A former Congressional Black Caucus Foundation fellow on Friday accused U.S. Rep. Bobby Scott of Newport News of sexual harassment while she was working in his Washington office in 2013.

Scott denied the allegation, stating the incidents cited by his accuser never occurred. He said she was working with a Republican known for peddling conspiracies.

“I have never sexually harassed anyone in my 25 years of service in the United States Congress, or in my 40 years of public service, or at any other time,” Scott said in a statement.

M. Reese Everson, speaking at a news conference in Arlington, said that when she rejected the congressman’s advances, she was fired and blocked from finding other work as a congressional aide.

“I was wrongfully terminated. And I was blackballed or blacklisted, whatever the appropriate term is,” she said. “I was prevented in moving forward in my career because I attempted to run from a situation that was sexually inappropriate, where I had been propositioned to have a sexual relationship with my boss that I did not want.”

The focus of her accusations were a meeting in Scott’s office and two other instances where she said she was touched inappropriately on her back and knee.

Everson said that in 2013, during a private meeting with Scott in his Washington office, she asked to serve as a traveling staff member on a political trip to California. Everson said Scott made comments about whether she was “going to be good” on the trip. She promised she would.

“And he said, ‘Well, if you’re going to be good then what’s the point of you coming?’ I was like, huh? Because it didn’t dawn on me what was actually – the conversation – that was actually happening. He said, ‘Are you going to flirt with me?’ “

“I said ‘No. Don’t flatter yourself.’ And I thought that I could lighten the mood in a joking way. But anger flashed across his face. And he was disgusted and angry,” she said.

Everson said in two earlier incidents, Scott touched her back while introducing her to someone and touched her knee while they were riding the underground train between congressional office buildings.

After the meeting about the trip, Everson said she “realized she had to run” from Scott’s office and sought to move to another congressional office.

David Dailey, Scott’s chief of staff, said a long-standing office policy forbids any of Scott’s office staff to travel outside of Virginia with the congressman. He said it was totally ridiculous to suggest a non-permanent fellow would have traveled with Scott, particularly because government funds could not have been used to cover her travel costs.

Scott’s office on Friday provided documents indicating Everson worked in the congressman’s office from September 2012 until the summer of 2013 in the first part of a two-year congressional internship. According to Dailey and the documents he provided, she was not fired but was moving on to the second part of her internship. Scott gave Everson a complimentary letter of recommendation, praising her work on several issues.

Scott’s office also provided an email penned by Everson in September 2013 in which she told Scott’s then-chief of staff, Joni Ivey, that she valued and appreciated her time in the office. In the next phase of the fellowship, she moved to the House Financial Services Committee.

Everson’s accusations against Scott are similar to accusations she made in a 2011 lawsuit after she was fired from Chicago’s Office of Inspector General.

The lawsuit claimed Everson rebuffed a proposition by the office’s chief investigator and then was fired in November 2010 for misusing furlough days.

About a year later, Everson filed the lawsuit seeking $50,000 in damages for wrongful termination and defamation. Everson withdrew the suit in 2012 after the defendants moved to have the case dismissed.

Standing next to Everson on Friday was her lawyer, Jack Burkman, a Republican lobbyist and conservative radio talk show host. Everson is employed by Burkman’s firm, according to federal disclosure documents.

Burkman garnered media attention in 2014 when he announced that he was gathering support for a law to ban gay athletes from the NFL. No related bill ever surfaced in Congress.

On Everson’s LinkedIn profile, she says she worked as a “Legislative Counsel/Legislative Fellow” from September 2012 to October 2013.

She also says she is a “Sexual Harassment Expert” and women’s rights advocate, and that in 2014 she founded a group aimed at ending workplace harassment.

Scott, 70, who has represented the 3rd Congressional District since 1993, said in his statement that he welcomes the recent national discussion about sexual harassment but argued “false allegations will squander this momentous opportunity for dialogue on meaningful change in the workplace.

“I am confident that this false allegation will be seen for what it is when the facts are adequately reviewed.”

His district includes portions of Norfolk, Chesapeake, Suffolk and Hampton, as well as all of Portsmouth, Newport News, Franklin and Isle of Wight County.

Ethics Investigation yes, "resign tomorrow" no, in my opinion. Definitely keeping an ear open for more accusers not represented by this same guy. Her employer/lawyer raises valid red flags about this that have me staying my pitchfork.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 16, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

So I'm kinda torn here.

BUT.

The important thing to keep in mind is that these aren't criminal punishments we're talking about. If we were discussing sending these people to prison, I would agree that evidence should be required. But in this case we're talking about very prominent public figures that certainly aren't relying on their employment as politicians to make a living, so it's a good "middle ground" to allow this sort of "lesser" punishment (relative to a criminal punishment, that is) with a lower burden of proof.

edit: Also, in the case of people with multiple accusations, there's almost no chance of them not being guilty. Even in the cases with just one, it's still more likely than not that they're guilty. It obviously makes sense to err on the side of not punishing guilty people when discussing criminal punishments, but as mentioned before that isn't the level of severity of consequences here.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 16, 2017

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

I know I'm late, but I just saw the Ajit Pai - 7 Things video You Can Still on The Internet After Net Neutality

Jesus Christ.

What the gently caress.

What the gently caress is happening

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kubrick posted:

I know I'm late, but I just saw the Ajit Pai - 7 Things video You Can Still on The Internet After Net Neutality

Jesus Christ.

What the gently caress.

What the gently caress is happening

This actually got pulled from YouTube because the people who made the original Harlem Shake copyright struck them (they support Net Neutrality) lmao.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

This was not Virginia, a swing-leaning-blue state. This was Alabama. A blood-red hellhole that Trump won by 28 points. THEY DO NOT ELECT DEMOCRATS TO STATEWIDE OFFICES. PERIOD.

I wanted to address this even tho it was pages ago. I live in the Deep South. It isn't as blood red as idiots like you think. For a long time, Louisiana has had democratic representatives and senators and even governors, like our current John Bel Edwards. Alabama going democrat isn't that amazing. That a race against a loving pedophile was so close IS.

The south is quite receptive to leftist policy. We just haven't had anyone willing to really go whole hog on it since Huey Long.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

gowb posted:

I wanted to address this even tho it was pages ago. I live in the Deep South. It isn't as blood red as idiots like you think. For a long time, Louisiana has had democratic representatives and senators and even governors, like our current John Bel Edwards. Alabama going democrat isn't that amazing. That a race against a loving pedophile was so close IS.

The south is quite receptive to leftist policy. We just haven't had anyone willing to really go whole hog on it since Huey Long.

Quite receptive to leftist policy...until it stops being paired with racism anyway.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

gowb posted:

I would vote for Reanimated Huey Long.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Are you one of those people mad that Franken had to resign?
No? He had multiple, credible accusers. This is probably a smear.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Quite receptive to leftist policy...until it stops being paired with racism anyway.

Oh word??

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

gowb posted:

you would think 3 dems well to the left of manchin winning in oklahoma would make that p obvious, but people seem hellbent on sticking to the "centrism is the only way to win" narrative :shrug:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

khy posted:

We used to have these things called courts.

Condiv posted:

you would think 3 dems well to the left of manchin winning in oklahoma would make that p obvious, but people seem hellbent on sticking to the "centrism is the only way to win" narrative :shrug:
The whole "all white men are trash yas kween" faction of the party isn't helping their southern popularity either.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 16, 2017

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Condiv posted:

In Manchin's case in particular it's more "He's proven he can win and votes with us." When's the other senator's seat up? Definitely run someone more progressive there and see what happens. I can think of worse fates than having two reliable anti-trump votes from WV than neither of them because we gambled and lost.

To be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure why you have such a hardon for getting Manchin out, given he's one of the better senators for voting against Trump and hasn't really done anything to gently caress us over that I'm aware of? I don't like using the term "purity test" much but this really feels like a straight up purity test for no reason.

Also, obvious answer is "None of these places you point to are where Manchin is, therefore not really directly applicable the way you want them to be."

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Capito is up for reelection in 2022.

Condiv what state do you live in anyway, are all of your reps liberal?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Condiv posted:

Oklahoma is another one yea. Republicans didn't capture our legislature until 2012, for the first time in our history.

But liberals were so eager to write us off so they could become the party of white affluent suburban professionals that they breathed a sigh of relief and said "Oklahoma is lost forever thank God, now we can ignore them and divert money to do-nothing consultants"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hmmm https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...9010_story.html

CDC receives list of words they're not allowed to use in their budget documents, including fetus, science-based, threatened

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

Oklahoma is another one yea. Republicans didn't capture our legislature until 2012, for the first time in our history.

How were those pre-2012 Democrats politically

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

gowb posted:

Is that why they all voted for LBJ

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Honestly, after this week the reason for push more left wing policy shouldn't be because of electoral politics, but because of the obvious outcomes of policy.
Republicans will have essentially dismantled the market friendly parts of Obamacare while leaving the medicaid expansion in place. Likewise, they are dismantling all the student loan parts of Obama's education policy, while actually expanding pell grants. Publicly provided benefits all look to survive this republican presidency, while all the subsidy-based, market oriented programs will likely end. Only exception is CHIP, and that is because it was a policy with a phase out deadline.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

In Manchin's case in particular it's more "He's proven he can win and votes with us." When's the other senator's seat up? Definitely run someone more progressive there and see what happens. I can think of worse fates than having two reliable anti-trump votes from WV than neither of them because we gambled and lost.

To be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure why you have such a hardon for getting Manchin out, given he's one of the better senators for voting against Trump and hasn't really done anything to gently caress us over that I'm aware of? I don't like using the term "purity test" much but this really feels like a straight up purity test for no reason.

Also, obvious answer is "None of these places you point to are where Manchin is, therefore not really directly applicable the way you want them to be."

Manchin voted to confirm Jeff Sessions.

He actually votes in line with the republicans and trump more than any other Democratic Senator.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

joepinetree posted:

Honestly, after this week the reason for push more left wing policy shouldn't be because of electoral politics, but because of the obvious outcomes of policy.
Republicans will have essentially dismantled the market friendly parts of Obamacare while leaving the medicaid expansion in place. Likewise, they are dismantling all the student loan parts of Obama's education policy, while actually expanding pell grants. Publicly provided benefits all look to survive this republican presidency, while all the subsidy-based, market oriented programs will likely end. Only exception is CHIP, and that is because it was a policy with a phase out deadline.

If I were drafting the policy proposals for the next Democratic congress, presuming control of the Presidency also:

1st would be lock in provisions to ensure permanent Democratic control. Add PR as a state, re-enact a new voting rights amendment, mandate non-gerrymandered districts according to the mathematical formulas from the recent supreme court cases.

2nd would be public option health care expansion via optional buy-in to Medicare and Medicaid, both.

Meanwhile the executive would just go through and literally reverse every single thing the Trump did.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
If the democrats don't expand voting rights the second they are back in power they deserve to lose for the rest of time.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

joepinetree posted:

If the democrats don't expand voting rights the second they are back in power they deserve to lose for the rest of time.

The fact that they haven't made gerrymandering a cause to shout about from the rooftops is already a decent sign that they won't. I've heard 3 reasons why they avoid messing with voting access:

1- Makes the crusty old whites mad, and if they see a PoC in the same voting line as them they might defect to the GOP (assuming they haven't already).

2- That some of the imbalances benefit the Dems so they just sweep it under the rug (Hard to sustain given that several of the recent elections had good Dem turnout/engagement being translated to meager results once all votes were tallied, leading to the current hollowed out national congressional profile.)

3- That the lion's share of the electred reps and their staff are just fine with being the gatekeepers of liberal thought and don't want no extra people getting their say in and messing up their beautiful consensus.

All three are either morally ghastly or tactically dumb to some degree, so feel free to decide what mix of them describes the current status quo. Compare your build with those of your friends! Fun for the whole family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
pretty sure they use excuse #1 to justify #3 even though actually doing things for the not-rich would net greater gains

• Locked thread