Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

frajaq posted:

why would you play casual

why do you hate yourself

Because I wasn't going to gently caress my ranking with a garbage deck I made out of scraps in a faction I don't play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Ranked: people playing casually to slowly grind up to 4k mmr with their 30% winrate

Casual: the absolute sweatiest and most tryhard decks imaginable as people desperately try to 2-0 people and get their daily rewards before reset. Possibly the most competitive mode.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

it started

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The Discover-like mechanic from Hearthstone is now called Create

e: Shupe gets a card finally :toot:

frajaq fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 12, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Create is now faction locked, so you can only draw from your own faction and neutrals. Hooray for controlled rng!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Looking forward to getting Shupe's adventure after using Whispering Hillock :cool:

e: wait just realized it won't work, gently caress!

frajaq fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 12, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Good change, should make Adda a lot less dumb. Good cards in general this round, challenger should be a lot of fun.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Love the premium art on the new Iorveth.

I wonder if they're going to reveal new Roche and Triss cards.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Couple of upcoming changes: Chair now resurrects leader and has 1 power (same rules as other resurrects, it has to be in your graveyard), Bloody Baron is 9 base power and can be boosted anywhere from enemy unit death and no longer goes to the top of your deck, Draug is 8 power and resurrects units as 1-power draugirs until the row is filled, Malena is now 7 power Ambush: After 2 turns, flip over and Charm the highest bronze or silver enemy with 5 power or less.

Still at least 1 more ambush card upcoming.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Personally I feel like Ambush needs to get fundamentally changed. Make a couple of uncollectible ambush effects, then have a few different cards let you Create an ambush. It's very hard to balance ambush cards as evidenced by the last time they were super dominant, because cards have similar tempo and power it's hard to make an ambush that's competitive without being too swingy and influential when there's a variety of possible ambushes. If you bundle up more of an ambush effects' power in a related card, you make them less swingy when your opponent guesses wrong.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i want ambush cards that aren't unplayable when you are behind in a round

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

For those who can't watch the stream, what's Gwent Challenger?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
Official tournament.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

For those who didn't watch the stream, in addition to their different powers each of the three adventurers has a pool of five abilities and you get to pick one out of three of them. One of the examples they gave for the Mage adventure, for example, was to draw a card.

I'm gonna build the poo poo out of a Shupe deck. Shupe, Renew, and Royal Decree for sure. Only 22 more cards to go. Dimetrium Shackles and Decoy as well, probably.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Behind the mathematical power of nerds on the internet!

Iorveth: Meditation

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

finally a reason to ""watch"" gwent streamers

https://www.playgwent.com/en/twitch-drops

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Losing coinflip against Henselt who plays a silver spy is pretty :barf:

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

rydiafan posted:

Behind the mathematical power of nerds on the internet!

Iorveth: Meditation

Yeah this is some next level nerd. First trackers, now spergulators.

Reddit nerd posted:

Hi guys, we just saw a new Iorveth card, and calculating the value you get is tricky. I did some quick maffs, and have discovered the ultimate ratio for two cards that battle each other. I assume that you choose two enemy units without armor or quen etc. Say unit 1 has power x and unit 2 has power y, with x < y. You would do maximum damage if y = phi x, with the golden ratio phi=1.6180... This is a limit situation, (only if the battle goes on for ever), but I just love it when the golden ratio pops up in a random place. Even so, it is a really good rule of thumb: Pick the highest enemy, divide its power by the golden ratio, and pick the other enemy closest to that value!

I could try to generalize this for quen and armor, but that is too much work for now, if someone is interested I'll give it a try!

Edit: Full explanation follows here. I tried to keep it simple, but it might be a little bit complicated (It is a proper mathematical proof now XD). We call the nth element of the fibonacci sequence an . Then an = an-1 + an-2 (definition of this sequence). The power of unit y after being attacked n times we call yn, and the same for x. As x attacks first, we have the following: (A) yn = yn-1 - xn-1, xn = xn-1 - yn with x0 = x and y0 = y

We now prove that (B) xn = a2n+1 x - a2n y AND yn = a2n-1 y - a2n x using induction: (B) Is our induction hypothesis and (A) is a useful identity (You can skip this part if you want, the result is that (B) is true.) Base case: n=1 y1 = 1 y - 1 x = a1 y - a2 x, and x1 =1 x - y1 = 2 x - y = a3 x - a2 y

We see that (B) holds for n=1.

We now assume that (B) holds for an integer k, we prove it holds for k+1 yk+1 = yk - xk = a2k-1 y - a2k x - ( a2k+1 x - a2k y) =a2k+1 y - a2k+2 x. And a similar calculation for x. We have proven (B) using induction

Now, what can we use this for? Well, we want the units to fight each other as long as possible, because then they take the most damage. In mathematics (and physics too btw.), as long as possible means infinitely long. The units must stay alive.

Therefore yn > 0 and xn > 0 for any n.

Using (B) 0 < yn = a2n-1 y - a2n x. We rewrite this to y > x (a2n / a2n-1). Taking the limit of n to infinity gives us the golden ratio This gives us one bound y => phi x

Using the other equation in (B) gives us 0 < xn = a2n+1 x - a2n y.

Rewriting this gives us y < x (a2n+1 / a2n), and this gives our other bound: y =< phi x. We conclude that in the limit situation, y = phi x

Edit 2: Some mistakes fixed, the last part should use boundaries.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

frajaq posted:

finally a reason to ""watch"" gwent streamers

https://www.playgwent.com/en/twitch-drops

Out of curiosity, how do you actually get them twitch kegs? Do they show up when you launch the game?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Megazver posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you actually get them twitch kegs? Do they show up when you launch the game?

yeah

supposedly a CDPR chatbot will PM you if win anything

it did when I got the Keen Observer title

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzaZsYZb5_E

Looks like they are going all out for the Challenger games this weekend, rented a castle and filled it with cosplay/RPers for the event.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

drat they really want Gwent to be a thing huh

did they ever ask the salty writer of the Witcher book series how he felt about the card game?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

frajaq posted:

drat they really want Gwent to be a thing huh

did they ever ask the salty writer of the Witcher book series how he felt about the card game?

The games popularity renewed the interest in the IP and a netflix series is in production with him getting an EP credit, so the old man is doing alright.

(He is still salty as gently caress, cause he sold the rights to CDPR for like 5 bucks and now CDPR is printing mad dollars out of The Witcher)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Myrmidongs posted:

Yeah this is some next level nerd. First trackers, now spergulators.

All that poo poo boils down to having something with 60% of the health of their biggest thing duel their biggest thing.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

the most intense skill-based esports ever is starting

https://www.twitch.tv/cdprojektred

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
God the chat is a shitshow.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

NG Spies always the banned deck :thunk:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That GWENT CHALLENGER logo animation appearing right when the players are mulliganing cards is great design.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
CDPR really put an effort into the tournament. Good set, good hosts, good games.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

37k+ viewers

not bad for a dead card game

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

2nd day of Challenger already underway. Hoping for more crazy matches like yesterdays final Gameking vs Lifecoach

https://www.twitch.tv/cdprojektred

Also still find it amusing that CDPR got McCree to host their card game tourney.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

kolemoen is my loving hero for making GBS threads on this Spy deck

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Tailbot made several misplays towards the end (placing his Enforcer on the wrong row, letting it get blow up by a whale harpooner. And then, far more inexcusably, not pinging any emissaries into the graveyard when he had a vico in hand), and if had avoided any of those I think he would've won the round by a few points. But, big props to Kolemoen for not wussing out and playing his last card after that crazy Vilge > Menno draw.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
So is this actually a dead gay card game or what? I just downloaded it on PS4 and it’s fun enough I doing the solo challenges, is multiplayer full of whales? Or can fun be had with zero spend?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

you're going to have a miserable time until you reach level 10 and can play ranked

weird I know but that's how it is

I haven't spent a cent on the game and in a month I had enough free stuff from the game to build 2 decent decks and climb to rank 18 and get a lot of kegs as ranked rewards, which increased even more my collection

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bacon Terrorist posted:

So is this actually a dead gay card game or what? I just downloaded it on PS4 and it’s fun enough I doing the solo challenges, is multiplayer full of whales? Or can fun be had with zero spend?

It's by far the most generous and realistic for free to play game in the genre imo. The start is still rough but it's very easy to grow your collection for free once you can field one good deck. I wouldn't play it on PS4 if you can avoid it though, there isn't any crossplay or ability to move your account between systems so PC is a safer bet

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I guess I'm fine with a free Hattori Premium

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
Card reveals have been happening for a while now btw

New deckbuilder-collection screen looks dope as hell

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

they're changing the old vampire units a lot it seems, because now Insectoids are gonna have the consume theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
It didn't really make sense for vampires to eat things. They also said that the expansion after this will be vampire-centered.

edit: Wow, these UI / effects changes

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 17, 2017