Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tbh I haven't touched it since it was new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich
What's the going price range for PVMs these days?

I have a PVM-2530 that I can't find a space for in my house. What's the best way to approach selling this? I imagine eBay and shipping it is a no go? Pretty sure it weighs more than I do.

Edit: it's the 25" not the 32"

WaitsUp fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 14, 2017

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

WaitsUp posted:

I have a PVM-3230 that I can't find a space for in my house. What's the best way to approach selling this? I imagine eBay and shipping it is a no go? Pretty sure it weighs more than I do.

Oh they don't sell for much. You can put it for sale for like 10 bucks and ship it straight to my address. :awesome:

Seriously though, I guess $5,000 or more might be reasonable.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

WaitsUp posted:

I have a PVM-3230 that I can't find a space for in my house. What's the best way to approach selling this? I imagine eBay and shipping it is a no go? Pretty sure it weighs more than I do.

13 inch are about $150 give or take, usually not including shipping. 19 inch are typically $200 to $300, plus shipping. Some models, like the PVM20L5, command a higher price because they can display 480p video modes that most PVMs dont; $400 to $500 seems to be the going price range, outliers aside.

Without more details about operating condition, physical condition, and so on...$750 without shipping is probably realistic as an middle ground asking price. You can always ask a bit higher and negotiate down.

As for selling it, you could try Craigslist, you could look for some retro Facebook group in your area and advertise it there, and there are the dedicated communities like Shmups and Assemblergames that might be good to advertise on (though it's not "sign up and sell" easy there, though I could be wrong).

You could also Ebay it and limit your shipping to local pickup, but that would mean storing it a lot longer as you wait for the rare buyer combo of being down to buy, local, and able to haul it away.

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

It's in great condition, geometry is near perfect, so might give it a go on Craigslist and the like. I'm in Toronto so hopefully it won't take forever to sell.

Wanted to hook everything up to it, but after struggling to even find a good looking shelf that could hold the weight, decided it might be better to just invest in an upscaler.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

WaitsUp posted:

It's in great condition, geometry is near perfect, so might give it a go on Craigslist and the like. I'm in Toronto so hopefully it won't take forever to sell.

Wanted to hook everything up to it, but after struggling to even find a good looking shelf that could hold the weight, decided it might be better to just invest in an upscaler.

Where did it come from?

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Where did it come from?
I work in TV, had a friend who let me have it when a company was clearing out old production gear.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

WaitsUp posted:

I work in TV, had a friend who let me have it when a company was clearing out old production gear.

I have made the wrong friends

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of PVM, is there a good configuration guide for one? I have a 19 inch one, but think it wasn't properly tuned either by the previous owner or myself.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rirse posted:

Speaking of PVM, is there a good configuration guide for one? I have a 19 inch one, but think it wasn't properly tuned either by the previous owner or myself.

For the very basics, grab a hold of a blue gel filter and Artemio's 240p suite. That'll get you started for things like brightness, contrast and colors. If things like geometry need tweaking, then that'll be a bit more involved and every display will be different and depending on the model, you'll have to open up the TV itself do them manually and on that note, almost no TV will have perfect geometry so there's going to be some compromise.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

It depends on the PVM. Some have service menus you can access, while others might involve having to take the cover off and make some adjustments to pots and the like.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Mine has a service menu where I can access the geometry. Think that part is good, but the other settings are in need of tweeting. I probably look into the suite 8-Boss suggested to get it going, as I tried using a guide that didn't work that well in the past.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

WaitsUp posted:

Wish I still lived in Toronto.
There are a few active SHMUPS forum users from Toronto or the GTA I think.
Outside of that advertising on Craigslist, Kijiji, and some Facebook groups would be a good bet.
I have a feeling you won't have a problem finding a local buyer.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

WaitsUp posted:

Hey send me an email, might have an option you'd be interested in.

edited

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 14, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Found the only cartridges anyone needs to collect for the GBA at the Urban Renewals in Allston:

(there's more of the Cartoon Network ones in the next box over so don't worry about missing out on those!)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Huh, I'd actually buy the lot of them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

fishmech posted:

Found the only cartridges anyone needs to collect for the GBA at the Urban Renewals in Allston:

(there's more of the Cartoon Network ones in the next box over so don't worry about missing out on those!)

:stare:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Aren’t those like the one thing that won’t run off a gba flash cart?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kid Fenris posted:

Legacy of the Wizard. It's a neat action-RPG where you explore a huge, complicated maze with multiple characters. It's difficult, but it's also fun to just mess around. And you can get it for under five bucks.

So I've gotten #75 and it's this, because prices at my usual local game shop have been inflating lately ($35 Zelda, Contra and Castlevania 1 and 3, $25 Zelda II, $20 SMB/DH for the dumb people, etc.) and I had some gifts for other people to buy tonight, and this was only a tenner. Hopefully it's a good time!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Aren’t those like the one thing that won’t run off a gba flash cart?

They should run fine on a flashcart, you might need to apply a patch because they do have a bit of anti-piracy stuff in them. They're also the largest GBA ROMs released to fit all the video, so some of the older flashcarts couldn't load the whole file into their temporary storage.

The one place they definitely don't work unless you patch or iirc use a series of codes on a cheat device, is the Game Boy Player. Because otherwise kids would record that 240x160 15 frame per second heavily compressed video to their VHS tapes dontchaknow.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Huh, I'd actually buy the lot of them.

I mean if you want some I can go hit up the place again before this trip's over tomorrow afternoon :v:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Along those lines, I miss the $1 retro gift exchanges, those were great and terrible at the same time.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The GBA video stuff has macrovision copy protection so yeah, it doesn't work on the Gameboy Player or emulators quite right.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Elliotw2 posted:

The GBA video stuff has macrovision copy protection so yeah, it doesn't work on the Gameboy Player or emulators quite right.

There's no way to embed Macrovision in a GBA program. The cart just checks what hardware it's being played on and locks up if it's not a GBA or DS. I dunno why emulators would have trouble with it, unless it uses some poorly-documented hardware features or something.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

All New Sonic posted:

There's no way to embed Macrovision in a GBA program. The cart just checks what hardware it's being played on and locks up if it's not a GBA or DS. I dunno why emulators would have trouble with it, unless it uses some poorly-documented hardware features or something.

Old inaccurate emulators weren't coded well enough to work.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Got this in the mail recently and just fired it up. Really cool thing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Interestingly the GBA movies used a unique bank switching chip that was never used by any actual games, and it wasn't reverse engineered until a couple of years ago.

The mGBA dev wrote about it here: https://mgba.io/2015/10/20/dumping-the-undumped

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

repiv posted:

Interestingly the GBA movies used a unique bank switching chip that was never used by any actual games, and it wasn't reverse engineered until a couple of years ago.

The mGBA dev wrote about it here: https://mgba.io/2015/10/20/dumping-the-undumped

Very interesting. I'm not terribly surprised these video carts were a thing, in an age when that was a possible approach that wasn't prohibitively expensive, I imagine there was this perceived need for anything that could play kids' TV and movies cost-effectively for long plane and car rides, no matter how terrible the picture and sound quality.

I can also see them opting to keep those dumps out of the greater collections since having complete copies of actual theatrical movies in a "complete" ROMset brings on a whole other level of legal scrutiny for essentially no gain.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

'Tis the season to say, "I know I don't own one of the games in this long series, but which one?" Lousy holiday sales; I didn't need a third copy of that game!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Things I just learned and had to share: they did not make a Fist of the North Star typing tutor game.

There's an entire series of them. Apparently the last release is only a couple of years old and almost all of the youtube videos are of that one, but there are one or two of the games from the 90's and early 2000's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKlcPG0Hghw

It does not look great even as a typing tutor game. And to answer the obvious question for the feature you'd expect in the Fist of the North Star Typing: no, it doesn't. In the videos I've seen, they don't even seem to have you type out your attack names. The newest game does seem to go "ATATATATATATA!!" in rhythm with your typing, though.

So the addage holds true that the only good Fist of the North Star game is the arcade game where you physically punch targets.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Random Stranger posted:

So the addage holds true that the only good Fist of the North Star game is the arcade game where you physically punch targets.

the fighting game owns actually

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm getting antsy waiting for my Everdrive shipment. It shipped a little over a week ago. How long do these things tend to take to get to the US?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Tree Dude posted:

I'm getting antsy waiting for my Everdrive shipment. It shipped a little over a week ago. How long do these things tend to take to get to the US?

From Retrogate? About a month give or take a week.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tree Dude posted:

It can take a few weeks, and the postal slam this time of year due to Christmas probably isn't helping things, especially for international mail that has to go through customs and then be sorted out for domestic delivery.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
From Krikzz black friday sale. Thanks y'all I'll be patient.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Tree Dude posted:

I’m waiting on an ED64 from the same sale so don’t worry. They’ll show up eventually.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
mine hasn't even shipped but then again i did order three

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
My GBA Everdrive just arrived from Krikkz yesterday and I ordered late thanksgiving day when he opened up.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Tree Dude posted:

Same here, an N64 ver3 and an SD2SNES. From Ukraine to the US about a week, but after that tracking is a no-go, nothing yet, but I'm in Hawaii. Last year, after it hit the US it took 20 days, so I guess I'm getting close to getting it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The only thing I ever ordered from Krikkz took nearly two months to arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

absolutely anything posted:

the fighting game owns actually

It's the eighth or ninth best fighting game on Game Boy!

But yeah, the PS2/arcade one by Arc System Works is pretty good.