Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Its servers but everything matters less. The only thing you need to worry about is that its 19"/1u dimensions, I wouldn't bother with a fancy server rack as music stuff is way less temperature critical. In one cabinet I have I run everything via a racked power conditioner, which is cool, in another its just to a surge protector, and I don't notice a huge difference.

You're gonna pay a surcharge for a "rack cabinet" versus the screws, an appropriate cabinet w/ the right dimensions, the rails, and labor.

Ikea does a Rast thing that easily converts into a 6u rack cabinet or an 8u with more finagling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Yeah I did the rast cuz it’s easy. It works good for my 3U, and I throw my multitrack recorder on top so it’s not taking valuable desk space from my synths.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm in the middle of trying to plan out a rack upgrade, I've filled up my Eurorack space and need more room for more stuff. The 19" format works perfect for where I have my rack located in my basement, so I'm thinking of going with something like this:

edit vvv what am I missing? Is this just a terrible idea / layout? Wider would make more sense in many cases, but 19" fits perfect in this spot in my basement.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 16, 2017

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Lol

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
dont get trapped behind your synth rack, dear goons :ohdear:

n o t h a t i s n o t h o w y o u m a k e t r a p m u s i c

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

dont get trapped behind your synth rack, dear goons :ohdear:

n o t h a t i s n o t h o w y o u m a k e t r a p m u s i c

I'm pretty sure The Edgar Allan Poe Guide to Synths and Synthesis says otherwise.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

After The War posted:

I'm pretty sure The Edgar Allan Poe Guide to Synths and Synthesis says otherwise.

sometimes you have to leave that last cask of amodulardo alone

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

No happy ending in the penis drawer?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I wanted this to be easily disassembled so I could maybe transport it in my car. I also didn't like the idea of trying to play the Keystep on a slide out drawer. Also, I guess you were all worried I would trap myself behind the rack so I moved the size reference man forward.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Where we're going we won't need eyes to CV.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Eventide Horizon

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
the size reference man looks like a real goob

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Electric Bugaloo posted:

the size reference man looks like a real goob

His ears are unnaturally low

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

8< - - - - - -

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Uli Behringer responded to the leak here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=13017993&postcount=252

Essentially it was a screw up and some documents got released that were part of the normal R&D investigation stages, but before any production or anything. He hopes that they will all be proper products one day tho.

Also, the Model D production got delayed cos of a factory move. He hopes to have a few hundred out by year end and the full scale production in Q1. I'm hoping my pre-order is part of those initial hundred, but if not, I pre-ordered through paypal so won't be charged until it ships anyway. I can wait for a dirt cheap moog fo sho!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

His ears are unnaturally low

helps him hear subharmonics

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Ref Man is definitely no taller than 4'11. Maybe it's David Faustino?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

So my OP-1 sold and my Minilogue is going back which leaves me with about 1,300 to buy a workhorse synth. I have that Model D arriving in Jan (fingers crossed) or March at the latest, so I'm not really interested in a mono. I therefore need a big poly centerpiece synth that will give me all the sounds I could dream of, while also being intuitive and fun with face controls. It also needs to sound great.

My current synth boner is pointing towards a Deepmind 12. I've liked a lot of what I've heard and it would leave me a bunch of cash left over to fill out my sounds with pedals or softsynths.

I currently have a novation circuit, a digitakt, push 2 and ableton, the arturia collection, serum, guitar rig, and a bunch of guitars and basses. With the model d on the way, there's that big glaring hole that I need filled. Help me, goon brothers! Is there a magic poly out there that does good work for my budget? Incidentally, I love big wide pads and evolving nonsense with plinky melodies and droning bass.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Plavski posted:

1,300 to buy a workhorse synth

Is there a magic poly out there that does good work for my budget? Incidentally, I love big wide pads and evolving nonsense with plinky melodies and droning bass.

Prophet Rev2 Desktop

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Deepmind 12, Novation Peak, and DSI REV2 are the usual suspects around that price.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Alternatively, you could get a flagship-tier controller for all of your softsynths and whatnots.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Plavski posted:

So my OP-1 sold and my Minilogue is going back which leaves me with about 1,300 to buy a workhorse synth. I have that Model D arriving in Jan (fingers crossed) or March at the latest, so I'm not really interested in a mono. I therefore need a big poly centerpiece synth that will give me all the sounds I could dream of, while also being intuitive and fun with face controls. It also needs to sound great.

My current synth boner is pointing towards a Deepmind 12. I've liked a lot of what I've heard and it would leave me a bunch of cash left over to fill out my sounds with pedals or softsynths.

I currently have a novation circuit, a digitakt, push 2 and ableton, the arturia collection, serum, guitar rig, and a bunch of guitars and basses. With the model d on the way, there's that big glaring hole that I need filled. Help me, goon brothers! Is there a magic poly out there that does good work for my budget? Incidentally, I love big wide pads and evolving nonsense with plinky melodies and droning bass.

OB-6?

I'm personally in a similar situation and have my eyes set on a polysix...

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The OB-6 is awesome, but it will probably be a decent bit above his stated price range. He might be able to find a desktop Prophet 12 for around $1300. Deepmind is probably the best bet as long as he gels with the sound/interface.

Edit: Faders for anything other than envelope and volume/mixer controls bug me, even on the classic ARPs.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 17, 2017

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

_Dav posted:

OB-6?

I'm personally in a similar situation and have my eyes set on a polysix...

the polysix sounds nice but its got a rather limited palette and always sounds a little dirty -- not a bad synth at all but i cant imagine paying over a grand for one

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I'd rather get a keyboard with my synth as I only have the push as a proper master controller so a decent 49-61 keyboard that plays nice would do me good.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Budget option that everyone completely disregards because it's a few years old and a virtual analog is the KingKorg. It can be found pretty easily at around $800 used and has 61-keys.

Edit: It also has a vocoder option that I've never seen anyone use!

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 17, 2017

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Budget option: get an Alpha Juno 2 for $200-300 and spend the rest on effects. I'm not a keyboard player by any means but the Juno's keybed is pretty good

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Similar budget and seeming lack of interest to the KingKorg is the Sledge. It's really nice, knobby, cheap, now does multisamples.
P12's desktop matrix UI is real nice to use, as good if not better than my favorite example of that genre the ESQ's. Plus just wacky cheap these days. Catch the wind just right you could probably grab one for a grand. (wait for the usual post-NAMM sell off lol)

I'm an idiot hellfucker and just grabbed a P6 with my xmas bonus. The old ESQs are on the chopping block if we get along. :sadwave:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Know Such Peace posted:

Budget option that everyone completely disregards because it's a few years old and a virtual analog is the KingKorg. It can be found pretty easily at around $800 used and has 61-keys.

Edit: It also has a vocoder option that I've never seen anyone use!

I think Cory Henry uses the vocoder sometimes

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Startyde posted:

Similar budget and seeming lack of interest to the KingKorg is the Sledge. It's really nice, knobby, cheap, now does multisamples.
P12's desktop matrix UI is real nice to use, as good if not better than my favorite example of that genre the ESQ's. Plus just wacky cheap these days. Catch the wind just right you could probably grab one for a grand. (wait for the usual post-NAMM sell off lol)

I'm an idiot hellfucker and just grabbed a P6 with my xmas bonus. The old ESQs are on the chopping block if we get along. :sadwave:

The sledge is one I've been looking at a lot actually. Wavetable synthesis is my very favourite type, but the Blofeld was never knobby enough. The effects on the deepmind give it so many options tho. But the sledge 2 (black edition with the better keyboard) is the same price. I think I'll give it more of a look.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Having played both for hours but owning neither I would grab a sledge ten times over the deep mind

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Startyde posted:

Having played both for hours but owning neither I would grab a sledge ten times over the deep mind

Oh yeah? Interesting. Why?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Sledge 2.0 looks really nice. For some reason, I thought they pulled a Korg move and rereleased it in a different color. Sampling is a good bonus. I wish companies would make storage external if they can’t source internal storage cheaply enough. 60mb is not a ton of space. Nord’s stuff also has this issue.

It’s almost 2018. I shouldn’t ever have to manage storage space on a recent piece of gear.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Know Such Peace posted:

Sledge 2.0 looks really nice. For some reason, I thought they pulled a Korg move and rereleased it in a different color.
They did, they have them in both the original orange and one that's black with black and grey keys.

I've been considering picking one up for a while, I'd be interested to hear thoughts on them from someone who has one.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

So after a bunch of research and a lot of video watching and price comparisons, I decided to go with a Sledge 2 Black Edition.

My reasons are thus:

1. 61 semi-weighted keys - my mrs is a classical pianist so a 61 key synth would give her a good range of play. I also like big pads, so more keys equals more breadth.
2. Wavetables - it's my favourite type of synthesis
3. Knobs - knobs as far as the eye can see. It was the one thing I loved about the minilogue - all the tweaking.
4. Simplicity - no menu diving, everything visible, endless tweakability without having to memorise a manual.
5. 24 note polyphony - this is just nice, though 12 voices wasn't exactly a restriction.

I'm thinking of investing my remaining 500 bucks into some nice pedals to beef up the effects, but as I'm running it into Ableton anyway, my effects racks are pretty sweet there.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this pickup for the price, but the proof is in the pudding and we'll see when it gets here.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
that sledge 2 black looks sweet! congrats.

i played some bass and dark energy through a boss chorus, ibanez delay and a pog 2 yesterday, 4 hours went by noodling and it was awesome. pedals are where it's at.

i'm kinda tempted to switch my dark energy to a 0-coast. the 0-coast looks like a lot of fun but i'm not sure if it's more of a gimmick box thats fun but hard to actually use for making music.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Plavski posted:

So after a bunch of research and a lot of video watching and price comparisons, I decided to go with a Sledge 2 Black Edition.

My reasons are thus:

1. 61 semi-weighted keys - my mrs is a classical pianist so a 61 key synth would give her a good range of play. I also like big pads, so more keys equals more breadth.
2. Wavetables - it's my favourite type of synthesis
3. Knobs - knobs as far as the eye can see. It was the one thing I loved about the minilogue - all the tweaking.
4. Simplicity - no menu diving, everything visible, endless tweakability without having to memorise a manual.
5. 24 note polyphony - this is just nice, though 12 voices wasn't exactly a restriction.

I'm thinking of investing my remaining 500 bucks into some nice pedals to beef up the effects, but as I'm running it into Ableton anyway, my effects racks are pretty sweet there.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this pickup for the price, but the proof is in the pudding and we'll see when it gets here.

with the extra $500 i would get either an 0-coast or one of the dread box semi-modulars personally

also, if you haven't checked out the tc electronic $50-60 pedals you should

they're mostly just repackaged behringer pedals but the delays are great, the flange and chorus are good, and reverb and fuzz decent for the money

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

dreadbox made the shittiest module i ever bought, they dont understand eurorack and i kinda doubt they understand synthesizers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Plavski posted:

There's some serious "up to a maximum of" caveat poo poo going on with that; beware.