Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I was under the impression he jumped timelines, like when he finds Alice dead in his route.

Yep, it's almost the same text as the earlier plot lock.

Fedule posted:

A scream clawed its way out of my body, taking my mind with it.
The last thing I felt was my body slumping to the floor as the world went dark.

When I came to, I was floating in a field of nothingness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Gruckles posted:

The number 9 door won't unlock without a bracelet that has 9 points, and it and the chromatic doors re-lock after a short time. So if the others ditched him he's not really able to go anywhere he couldn't before.

Going by the routes where we were stuck after someone left:

Fedule posted:

The number nine door has closed.
This ends the Nonary Game.
Thank you for your participation.
As the game is over, all doors other than the number nine door have been unlocked.
Escape is not possible.
Please enjoy your stay.

So if they had left, he could move around the entire area, but not leave.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Waffleman_ posted:

This sounds a lot like dying to me.

I didn't actually think I would have to say this, but... there's a difference between waking up to find it suddenly gone and getting a game over because the writers didn't want to continue down that line, and remembering that your hand is fake and specifically asking someone to cut it off so you DON'T DIE.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm amazed they have a sedative that works on both humans and robots. You'd think the whole advantage of being a robot is the immunity to that sort of thing.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Well, only our arms are robotic, remember?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Bruceski posted:

No, you have to notice on the story tree that the icon has changed.

E: which, I suppose, could also mean yes, if you view it another way. The lock icon lights up when you can go past it, but nothing points to that to alert you.
I think it usually kind of shows a quick sequence of images/flashbacks if you get info which can be used to open a lock on the flowchart.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

irlZaphod posted:

I think it usually kind of shows a quick sequence of images/flashbacks if you get info which can be used to open a lock on the flowchart.

More like it shows the images when you go to the branch where the lock is and Sigma uses that information to continue the story, as I remember it. There was at least one plot lock where I had no idea that I'd unlocked it because I didn't notice that the icons changed. I was just blindly clicking on all of the locks assuming that something would have to happen.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oh, well I knew there were flashbacks somewhere. :v:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kangra posted:

I'm amazed they have a sedative that works on both humans and robots. You'd think the whole advantage of being a robot is the immunity to that sort of thing.

Luna literally explains that Sigma is probably still susceptible to injections in his arms when she scans his arms - for Realism.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Luna literally explains that Sigma is probably still susceptible to injections in his arms when she scans his arms - for Realism.

My point is how did the person who injected him know this? It implies that K knocked him out, despite believing him to be a robot. Unless K is being deceptive and already knows the truth...

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Green Intern posted:

Yeah it's basically a "See? No plot holes here!!" explanation.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kangra posted:

My point is how did the person who injected him know this? It implies that K knocked him out, despite believing him to be a robot. Unless K is being deceptive and already knows the truth...

I am, without a doubt, not being deceptive.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I think it's possible that the writing in some of the Game Overs might be a tad thin and the writers might regret their big promise to have like 2x endings. For my money the biggest giveaway here is Sigma's "why did I press Betray" monologue.

"It was like there was supposed to be a proper vote, and some rear end in a top hat just came in and forced it..."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I especially like this since we've already seen an ending choice where allying with him leads to him hoofing it out the door, and betraying him leads to you calling him on the possibility of that, to which he basically goes "Ahaha! Anyway"

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Fedule posted:

I think it's possible that the writing in some of the Game Overs might be a tad thin and the writers might regret their big promise to have like 2x endings. For my money the biggest giveaway here is Sigma's "why did I press Betray" monologue.

"It was like there was supposed to be a proper vote, and some rear end in a top hat just came in and forced it..."
I like that it gets a bit 4th wall break-y.

But yeah a lot of the Game Overs are kind of cop outs considering Dio and others get out in other endings, and nobody gangs up on them. It doesn't really bother me that much though, because it's just part of the gameplay loop. You usually want to Betray (or Ally) just to see all the different outcomes.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That's not necessarily the case. They needed his bracelet to get through the next set of Chromatic Doors, it doesn't mean that they've all escaped.

Also this seems to suggest that Sigma can survive losing his hand without dying. So he'll probably have to ask someone to remove his hand in his -1 BP plot lock.
Personally I take the inference that they all left because Alice and Quark aren't in the medical room anymore. There's no reason to move them out of that space unless they were taking them to a safer location i.e. outside the puzzle warehouse.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fedule posted:

Yeah, the other pathway had that, too, with the plot lock where Phi revealed her jumping power.

I feel like some of these issues could have been alleviated if Sigma had more outright negative traits at the start and steadily became a better person as the game went on. Instead, since he starts out good, it's just some really jarring scenes that bounce between "Sigma is willing to kill himself to save a child" or "Sigma really doesn't care about Quark possibly dying and is willing to betray him".

DeathChicken posted:

I am, without a doubt, not being deceptive.

:argh:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

lotus circle posted:

Personally I take the inference that they all left because Alice and Quark aren't in the medical room anymore. There's no reason to move them out of that space unless they were taking them to a safer location i.e. outside the puzzle warehouse.

Once again, you're forgetting the rules. Once the chromatic doors close, not having the right bracelets inside the scan chamber is a death sentence for both those inside the chamber and those outside. Of course they have to take Alice and Quark or else both of them AND the remaining partners who enter the chromatic doors all die.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

irlZaphod posted:

I like that it gets a bit 4th wall break-y.

But yeah a lot of the Game Overs are kind of cop outs considering Dio and others get out in other endings, and nobody gangs up on them. It doesn't really bother me that much though, because it's just part of the gameplay loop. You usually want to Betray (or Ally) just to see all the different outcomes.

to be fair ganging up on K doesnt really work
and Clover is apparently just that fast

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
The switches in the writing really only make sense to me if everybody is conspiring to manipulate Sigma because he must do thing X to save the world, and can’t be aware it’s what he’s supposed to do.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Shout, shout, let it all out. These are the ends I could do without.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
The actual answer is probably that they had Luna scan him with the ADAM. So they know he's not a robot, but they also have no problem with chopping off his robot arm to get at the bracelet.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

BurningStone posted:

The switches in the writing really only make sense to me if everybody is conspiring to manipulate Sigma because he must do thing X to save the world, and can’t be aware it’s what he’s supposed to do.

It’s just the viewpoint character problem (aka, the narrative screw-up at the end of the lane ;) ). The author has to avoid letting Sigma out because then the player would know what’s out there.

But Sigma didn’t die from his hand being cut off if he’s been lying there unconscious for some amount of time after it happened.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

hyphz posted:

The author has to avoid letting Sigma out because then the player would know what’s out there.

They could've let Sigma out, him discovering the outside is a barren wasteland, and then it ends with him wandering aimlessly/dying of despair. Not all routes with sigma having 9 BP should have him being knocked out/held down/whatever (except in Dio route). There's already 3 instances of this case, just pick one to let him out.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Some of these endings imply Sigma doesn't actually die, he just kind of completely loses his mind

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So does the robot sap just mix with the normal human blood? How else would that toxin spread to the rest of his body? Did they cover this already?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Prop Wash posted:

So does the robot sap just mix with the normal human blood? How else would that toxin spread to the rest of his body? Did they cover this already?

They don't, but physiologically it's not that improbable. All you need is interlocking capillaries in order to exchange nutrients and so on, and it's conceivable that this system could be designed to make drug delivery simple for any medical personnel who might need to treat someone with the prosthesis.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

The game didn't get any more specific than that, and probably isn't going to.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

When the dust settled on the poll, the winner by a healthy margin with 62% of 115 respondents was returning to Sigma's apparent last five minutes of life.

Previously on this route: Quark finds himself in mortal peril due to Radical-6. Sigma happens upon a vial of the elusive cure Axelavir, but it is stolen by Dio, who holds it for ransom, demanding Sigma and Clover choose Ally in the next AB game - which would kill Sigma and put Dio at 9BP. For Quark's sake, Sigma goes through with it. Sigma is immediately injected with Soporil, but manages to remain conscious long enough to ensure Dio upholds his bargain. He begins to pass out with five minutes until his death, wondering if there's something he can do about the impending shot of tubocuarine.

We rejoin Sigma as he resolves to think, think, think, thi-

-nk.

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

(I have...cybernetic arms...?)

It was both shocking and utterly obvious.

Those things hardly mattered, though.
If I survived, I could worry about them later.

The fact that my arms were mechanical, however...
That might be useful...

I called up all the strength I had left and stood one more time.

[Music fades out]

Why don't you open it already?

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

What...?

VLR OST: [Eeriness]

S-Sigma!

Wh-What are you saying?!

Heh... Looks like you finally gave up.
Whatever. I was just about to flip the switch anyway.

Then hurry up and—

Hey! Don't rush me.
K! You've got 9 BP now, right?

Y-Yes...

I... I...

Why?

I cannot abandon Sigma.

Don't worry...about me...
Go...
You have to get outside and call for help.

But...

If he's the only one who gets out of...here...there's no hope for the rest of us.
You're the only one we can...count on...

Great! Glad we got that settled.
Shall we go?

No! Stop!

Phi began to move, but it was already too late.
Dio grabbed the lever and threw it down.

The number nine door has been opened.
It will remain open for 9 seconds.

I promise to call for help and return as soon as I can.
Please, do not give up hope.

Yeah, I know... Just get going already.
But...

[Music cuts out]

...Huh?

As Dio turned to look at me, I crouched.
Then, calling on every last bit of strength my wearied body could supply, I launched myself toward him like a coiled spring.

I slammed into his legs, knocking him to the floor and wrapping my hands around his ankle before he could get back up.

999 OST: [Trepidation]

Hey!
What're you doing, you bastard?!
The door's gonna close!

Let go! Let go, goddamnit!
Let me go!

He lashed out with his free leg at my head, shoulders, and arms, but I held on.

I ignored the pain, tightening my grip with every blow.

Hey! What the hell is this poo poo?!
Why're you doing this?!
I kept my promise, didn't I?!

Yeah, so did I...
Far as I recall, it didn't say anything about letting you escape.

What?!

poo poo! Stop screwing around, rear end in a top hat!
I have to get out of here!
I'm not going to let my sacred mission get hosed up by some self-righteous idiot!

Dio began to pull himself along with his elbows, bit by bit edging closer to the exit.

He was headed straight through the door...
But the gate was already beginning to close.

With only a few feet to spare before it shut, he crawled across the threshold and beyond the door.

Please, you have to let go!

The door's going to shut on you if you don't let go!

--
--

--
--

--
--

(the script really does use double-dashes here, for whatever reason)

Heh...All right...
See you later, Dio...

Ha! Ahahahahaha! Ahahahahahahahahahahaha!
You're an idiot right up until the end, aren't you?

No...
I...

[Music cuts out]

...I'm going to live.

Wha—?

*splorch*

This ends the Nonary Game.
Thank you for your participation.
As the game is over, all doors other than the number nine door have been unlocked.
Escape is not possible.
Please enjoy your stay.

The announcer's voice grated at the inside of my skull.
I felt tired. So very, very tired. I felt my eyes flutter closed...
And then nothing.

Game... over...?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 16, 2017

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
If you haven't been listening to the audio tracks for this LP you should for this one. Listening to that door close on Sigma is one of the most :stonk: moments in the game.

Also Holy gently caress! :stonklol:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
K make up your mind already on whether or not you want to go through that door or not

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

1234567890num posted:

They could've let Sigma out, him discovering the outside is a barren wasteland, and then it ends with him wandering aimlessly/dying of despair. Not all routes with sigma having 9 BP should have him being knocked out/held down/whatever (except in Dio route). There's already 3 instances of this case, just pick one to let him out.

Alternatively, Sigma could escape, then have another consciousness jump into him (like what happens to Phi in the Dio route) and realize he needs to get back into the warehouse for some reason that might be unknown to the player.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

More evidence for the theory that Sigma's much older than he thinks he is, AND the cybernetic arms fix the hiccup in the theory: If he's old, why do his arms look young?

e: If Sigma's actually old (and Zero), then he likely wasn't one of the three people frozen in the stasis pods. So besides Clover and Alice, there's potentially one more person who's from Sigma's time (the time Sigma was a 22-year-old grad student in California).

Tenmyoji and Quark are out, as they've been established as having Radical-6 backstories. Since Tenmyoji is potentially Junpei or Santa, Akane/the Old Woman is also the appropriate age for this time period. K is Sigma's future clone son (assuming Sigma is Zero), so not him either. Dio's a clone from a dystopian future cult too. Luna is prrrrobably the robot mom Zero made for K, with either a memory wipe, or explicit orders to act like she doesn't recognize Zero.

That leaves Phi, who all the way up until now with so many endings completed, is still a completely mystery.

Squats fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 16, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jagged Jim posted:

If you haven't been listening to the audio tracks for this LP you should for this one. Listening to that door close on Sigma is one of the most :stonk: moments in the game.

Also Holy gently caress! :stonklol:
Not an empty quote.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Man, Clover's inappropriate smiling never ceases to be weird

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
This is one of my favorite moments in the game, if for no other reason than Sigma using this as an opportunity to troll the gently caress out of Dio. :allears:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It would've been out of character (mostly) for Sigma but I still always wish he had just held on and let Dio's foot get crushed.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It would've been out of character (mostly) for Sigma but I still always wish he had just held on and let Dio's foot get crushed.

Dio had already dragged himself completely past the threshold anyway. All Sigma would have accomplished by holding on at that point in his drugged-up state would have been to be dragged even further out.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Speedball posted:

I wonder if there's some way to keep a person alive even after they've been injected with turbocuarine.

Granolaman posted:

Presumably we're dead, and most likely we are, but I'm still gonna hang on to the hope that Siggy cuts of his arm/slides something solid between his wrist and the needles/constructs the world's largest lever and snaps the thing off.

It's been four years. I love this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

Man, Clover's inappropriate smiling never ceases to be weird

She just remembered a funny joke at an inappropriate moment is all.

• Locked thread