Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

Arishtat posted:

I'm partial to the white sans center caps option.

Cool! The non-capped 'racing' white is actually my favourite too. :) I think it really pops against the red paint, giving the car a bold look.

I also think the non-capped red coordinates quite nicely, which makes it my second favourite.

I don't tend to like the black wheels that much, as I think that colour is a bit too standard and 'safe'. Everyone gets black/grey wheels.

(Edit: Added some smaller pics for the new page.)

Crescendo fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Settlement came in and all is well. I think I’ll be looking for another FiST or FoST this weekend .

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Larrymer posted:

Seems like a pretty good price, nice work. What color did you go with?

Went with the carbon grey color, which I really love with the red accenting.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Can the non ST fiesta use the same wheels as the ST?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're going to autocross it you definitely do want the LSD

I definitely considered that - but autocross is still just a big maybe, and naturally I've only found one sport trim within 200 miles. The dilemma looks like it may take care of itself. <sigh>

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crescendo posted:

I'm thinking about getting new wheels for my Golf GTI, and I kind of want to go in an weird direction: some OZ Racing Anniversary 45s!

I know this will be a really polarizing choice, but I'm not completely insane to think they look kind of sweet, right? They have a retro-cool factor, I like the pedigree (even if it is mostly just marketing), and they're certainly unique. I also definitely think they're 'ugly', but in an interesting way that grows on you and makes you do a double-take.

Here are some mock-ups:

Please tell me I haven't completely lost my mind! :henget:

really bad imo, but i hate that 80s style of wheel on anything

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The white wheels contrast too much since everything else is black inside and out.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Dr.Caligari posted:

Settlement came in and all is well. I think I’ll be looking for another FiST or FoST this weekend .

:toot:

Negotiating those is a bitch, good to hear you didn't have to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
White wheels = best wheels.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I like white wheels on red cars.

It might actually snow tonight so I threw my winters on.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This spring /summer I'ma Fist.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Does anyone have an opinion on JB4 vs. a stage 1 tune?

I know that the tune can do more in terms of HP/Torque, but it irreversibly registers on your car as well, vs. the JB4 which is a full bypass so there's no real way to check for that.

I got the DSG specifically for the dual clutch so I could tune it without worrying about the transmission. I just don't know if it makes any sense to do a stage 1 right now when my warranty could be voided I guess, theoretically?

The thing is I don't want to just shoot $400 into the ether (which is basically what would happen if I went JB4 and then decided on a tune later).

Thoughts?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Crescendo posted:

I know this will be a really polarizing choice, but I'm completely insane

Bad. All bad. They're even worse than GTI "Detroit" wheels, and that's saying something. :v: But really do what you want if you like how it looks and stop caring what the internet thinks of your decision. Live your life, man. :feelsgood:

Taima posted:

Went with the carbon grey color, which I really love with the red accenting.

Nice! I wanted either that or white, and only could find white nearby so guess what I ended up with. :)

Rhyno posted:

White wheels = best wheels.

...Best wheels to look like poo poo after braking once. I will never own white wheels. Not again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Taima posted:

I know that the tune can do more in terms of HP/Torque, but it irreversibly registers on your car as well, vs. the JB4 which is a full bypass so there's no real way to check for that.

I got the DSG specifically for the dual clutch so I could tune it without worrying about the transmission. I just don't know if it makes any sense to do a stage 1 right now when my warranty could be voided I guess, theoretically?

The thing is I don't want to just shoot $400 into the ether (which is basically what would happen if I went JB4 and then decided on a tune later).

Thoughts?

Double postin'. I'd at least get your car broken in and have some fun with it stock before deciding. :) If you're worried about the warranty, either don't mod it until after or get the JB4.

You can always resell the JB4 if you decide to do something else, yeah?

I'm personally fine with the power it has stock currently, and I pump loving 87 octane in it. :lol: (yes the manual says you can run 87 and it's fine before anybody says anything) It's a DD though and it's winter so I'm not exactly romping on it hard everywhere I go anyway.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Taima posted:

Thoughts?

There wasn't a JB4 when I owned mine, it was just the JB1. I yolo'd it and modded the car before it had 700mi on it.

Don't do a tune this early because of the warranty, instead get a cheap downpipe and the JB4. It's a huge difference over stock. You won't have a problem selling the JB4 later once your warranty is gone (and you decide to go to the IS38 turbo because what the gently caress it's cheap as poo poo and lol almost 400 loving whp).

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 14, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The JB4 requires feeding wiring through the firewall and a wire tap. If you’re worried about easily returning it to stock and maintaining warranty it’s not a great option. Buy a used JB1 for cheap and get 90% of the JB4 performance. Super easy to return to stock and you won’t be out a ton of money.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
2020 Golf R is showing at 350hp and 48v hybrid setup? If I make my veloster a track car after building the engine this might be my "family" car. Any other news on it?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Is it cool to have a car with a lot of valves?

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007
So, what's everyone's opinion on the I30N? I'm about to pull the trigger on something <30k, what isn't clear yet. I'm waffling between:
FoST: Most leftovers around here are 400a only, I want at least the 402, and I really want a hot pepper red 18...
GTI: Very nice, but I like the looks the least
WRX: Ticks all the boxes but less utility,
I30N: Looks sweet, but unproven, and features/prices still unclear.

Any other suggestions? The Civic SI sits in the sweet spot, but i just can't easily pass the ugly hurdle. Thoughts?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

2020 Golf R is showing at 350hp and 48v hybrid setup? If I make my veloster a track car after building the engine this might be my "family" car. Any other news on it?

How the hell is an engine supposed to have 12 valves per cylinder? :haw:

Edit: Beaten to my lame joke. :argh:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Taima posted:

Thoughts?

Invest in better tires before you add power.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Invest in better tires before you add power.

Also this. The factory all seasons are the limiting factor from stock by far.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The 034 Motorsports dogbone insert makes a big difference in wheel hop

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
... wrong thread

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 14, 2017

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Twistershift posted:

So, what's everyone's opinion on the I30N? I'm about to pull the trigger on something <30k, what isn't clear yet. I'm waffling between:
FoST: Most leftovers around here are 400a only, I want at least the 402, and I really want a hot pepper red 18...
GTI: Very nice, but I like the looks the least
WRX: Ticks all the boxes but less utility,
I30N: Looks sweet, but unproven, and features/prices still unclear.

Any other suggestions? The Civic SI sits in the sweet spot, but i just can't easily pass the ugly hurdle. Thoughts?

A FoST is considerably cheaper than those other things. One not far from me is $19,999 and I’m really tempted to bite. What’s holding me back is that I would loose the rebates, making it closer to $23k, if I did 0% financing. I don’t have a down payment for traditional financial because I haven’t received my settlement check yet.

The best I can find on a WRX is $25k and it has 9k miles on it. the resale value of a Subaru is eye popping compared to FiST/FoST. I think the insurance would be a deal breaker too, as I was quoted a $40 a month increase over what I was paying on the FiST

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 15, 2017

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Dr.Caligari posted:

A FoST is considerably cheaper than those other things. One not far from me is $19,999 and I’m really tempted to bite. What’s holding me back is that I would loose the rebates, making it closer to $23k, if I did 0% financing. I don’t have a down payment for traditional financial because I haven’t received my settlement check yet.

The best I can find on a WRX is $25k and it has 9k miles on it. the resale value of a Subaru is eye popping compared to FiST/FoST. I think the insurance would be a deal breaker too, as I was quoted a $40 a month increase over what I was paying on the FiST

You can use an online calculator like this one to figure the amounts, but even with a 5% interest rate over a 48 month loan, you'd be paying $2134.37 in interest. You can play with the numbers to adjust for your situation.

Dealerships will always make money if you take their financing, even at a 0% rate.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Well boys, I've betryaed you and picked up a 2015 Nissan Juke Nismo, something that wasn't on my top 3 list, but the price and financing was right (3.3% fixed. Both my bank and insurance company quoted me 3-4% on a new car) , and my insurance will go down slightly. It is a nice comprise between the extra space I need and the zippiness I like. It's doesn't have the flingability of my little FiST, but it has a lot of bells and whistles. I hope I did the right thing.

I'm disappointed to see there is no easy equivilent to Cobb tuning for it. The two main tuners I see seem to cost $800-$1k+, don't give the % of gains Cobb did, and also are not resalable like the Cobb units. Speaking of, my FiST still started, so thankfully I was able to unmarry my AP from it and will be able to sell it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dr.Caligari posted:

Well boys, I've betryaed you and picked up a 2015 Nissan Juke Nismo, something that wasn't on my top 3 list, but the price and financing was right (3.3% fixed. Both my bank and insurance company quoted me 3-4% on a new car) , and my insurance will go down slightly. It is a nice comprise between the extra space I need and the zippiness I like. It's doesn't have the flingability of my little FiST, but it has a lot of bells and whistles. I hope I did the right thing.

I'm disappointed to see there is no easy equivilent to Cobb tuning for it. The two main tuners I see seem to cost $800-$1k+, don't give the % of gains Cobb did, and also are not resalable like the Cobb units. Speaking of, my FiST still started, so thankfully I was able to unmarry my AP from it and will be able to sell it.

If you're loving around over marginal interest rates over getting what you want you can't afford a new car

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You paid money for a non GT-R Nissan. Why?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

RIP

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're loving around over marginal interest rates over getting what you want you can't afford a new car

That’s not the sole reason on settling on what I did. I would think anyone would consider a 7.7% interest rate a pretty big difference from one that is under half that.

You are correct in that, while I could afford a new car as I had in the last few years, it would be irresponsible. The FiST was getting too small, and will surely be too small in several years. There was a FoST I looked at, but with the price and raise in insurance premium, I didn’t feel like it would be a good decision right now.

KillHour posted:

You paid money for a non GT-R Nissan. Why?

I’m a poor. But I will be able to pay it off quicker than a new FoST, enabling me to save up for next time and something with some trade in value.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 16, 2017

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

It's like an Aztec's aborted baby! Enjoy your new-to-you ride!

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

lol, gently caress you guys

;-*

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 16, 2017

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kcMJTYh5xs

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FiST too small but you got a Juke?

FiST Cargo Area Dimensions
Cargo Volume with Rear Seat Up : ft³ 10.1

Juke
Cargo Volume to Seat 2 : ft³ 10.5

Cavernous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
da fuq

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Don’t make me regret my decision .

Back seat dimensions were rapidly becoming my problem, cargo space wasn’t so important .

This is the same thread that initially mocked me for buying a ‘Ford Tiesto’ back in ‘13 before FiST were given the thumbs up.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well I was driving by a Honda dealership I saw a fit with that little red line they do to mark their sport vehicles and I thought for a moment that had made an up-engined Fit.

I Googled it when I got home and :lol:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Dr.Caligari posted:

Don’t make me regret my decision .

Back seat dimensions were rapidly becoming my problem, cargo space wasn’t so important .

This is the same thread that initially mocked me for buying a ‘Ford Tiesto’ back in ‘13 before FiST were given the thumbs up.

Ford Tiesto, loving lol :lol: :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Uhh, Juke for interior space? We took one for a test drive and it was absolutely tiny inside compared to even our Veloster, the rear seats seemed particularly cramped.

To each their own I guess.