Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skylined! posted:

jumper cables?

I don't know he couldn't talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Atheist groups consistently have a misogyny problem, so they suck pretty bad.

I don't think being an atheist is especially tough in most developed countries, either.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Erostratus posted:

So what did everyone's grandpas do in the war, and also what are their opinions on tipping?

My paternal grandfather didn't serve but he convinced his brother to move to Canada because he had a degree and Canadians wouldn't make him die in the trenches. I think he worked in logistics.

We don't talk about my maternal grandparents, my grandmother believed Jewish people ground German babies into sausages. She lived in Oregon.

My paternal grandfather was also on the Canadian Red List so I'm assuming he either tipped generously or didn't tip a dime believing it reinforced bourgeois attitudes towards service.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krabboss posted:

Atheist groups consistently have a misogyny problem, so they suck pretty bad.

I don't think being an atheist is especially tough in most developed countries, either.

Yeah but this is America, the exception to most developed countries.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Growing up in a hardcore southern baptist town as an atheist will turn anyone into an rear end in a top hat. That obviously doesn't excuse misogyny or racism but :laffo: if you think atheists cause 1% of the problems that organized religion does in the US. Also, as mentioned, atheists aren't some organized group by any means so the prominent figures of the "community" don't really speak for the rest the same way a big mega church preacher figure does.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 17, 2017

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Looks like I'm coming in during one of the more durable derails this thread has seen, but I wanted to thank the thread regulars who recommended Get Out. I had been avoiding watching it because it was poorly described by a friend as a horror movie with a ~~~big twist~~~ but drat was it ever so much more than that. The amount of balls that were being juggled at once to pull off the tone, pacing and suspense that movie does is unbelievable.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Full Circle posted:

Looks like I'm coming in during one of the more durable derails this thread has seen, but I wanted to thank the thread regulars who recommended Get Out. I had been avoiding watching it because it was poorly described by a friend as a horror movie with a ~~~big twist~~~ but drat was it ever so much more than that. The amount of balls that were being juggled at once to pull off the tone, pacing and suspense that movie does is unbelievable.

Yes!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It was so loving well put together.

Now sink.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Is this thread starting to go full fedora?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Turtlicious posted:

Yeah but this is America, the exception to most developed countries.

Like all things about America, things vary so much across it's vast distances and rural/urban/suburban divides that you may as well be talking about multiple different countries rather than a single one.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ague Proof posted:

If Mueller is fired there won't be leaks, there'll be a tidal wave.

The tidal wave of pisstapes will drown us all.

:pisstape:

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Erostratus posted:

It's only ok to discriminate against atheists if they put beans in their chili.

There are so many regions of this country/world with their own unique take on food that you're really missing out if you just ignore whole swathes of them. We live in a time where there are hundreds of local cooks from any location willing to go on youtube and take the time to teach me how to cook what they eat. Literally from anywhere. They will talk to you about ingredients, how to cook it, how their mother cooked it. What holiday they cooked it for. So learn to cook it, and when you serve it you can say this is Chicago style chili, next time you can serve a Texas bowl of red.

In for a penny
Atheist oppression is really hard to explain. If you never bring it up, nobody knows and everything is great. If you do bring it up you get low to medium grade poo poo with no great way to deal with it. Unlike racial oppression you can't look at us and tell that we're atheists. We don't have religious symbols, so you can't tell that way. So nobody can see us. Oh and there's a group of assholes on the internet doing everything possible to make people hate you, very publicly. People ask you why do you care if you don't believe in god, why even talk about it? No other religious group gets that. But most of the time people forget you exist, and since you don't believe in god it's easy enough to pretend right. It doesn't mean anything so what's the big deal. Which is true, I guess, as long as I can pick a church with decent music.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Trump's lawyer is trying to claim that the GC for the GSA who died back in May told them they owned all of their emails but the current deputy counsel says that is not true. :allears:

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/942213788958445568

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/942214428031889412

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Kilroy posted:

In some places. In other places, like at an old job where I had a co-worker break down in tears to me because she found out another co-worker was a Muslim and is therefore going to hell, you don't get any poo poo about it because you keep it to yourself. Which is a great thing that atheists get to do, with comparatively little stress compared to other groups for which it might theoretically be possible. But it's still a thing you have to do, at least occasionally, or perhaps all the time depending on where you live. For me, growing up, it was "often, but not always".

Kilroy posted:

Ah okay, being a dick to atheists on account of their atheism is cool and good because atheists don't have it that bad.

You're absolutely right that atheists don't usually have it that bad, but that's more due to it being pretty easy for them to blend in without experiencing too much stress about it, rather than a generally positive or neutral opinion of atheists among the public. What's weird is that I and a few others already pointed that out a few pages back and you're still acting like you invented the idea.

Yeah, take it from a bisexual, being able to "hide" is not a privilege in the same way being white is. And just like being an atheist doesn't always lead to the same poo poo as being a Muslim, being bisexual doesn't always lead to the same types of abuse and attacks. It's not necessarily beating someone and telling them to "go home" or whatever. Sometimes it's the subtle implication that you think they're going to suffer forever and that's just so sad but you respect their choice to be disgusting sinful amoral monsters and you love them DESPITE this.

EDIT: That said if they post on r/atheism they probably deserved an rear end-kicking though

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Like all things about America, things vary so much across it's vast distances and rural/urban/suburban divides that you may as well be talking about multiple different countries rather than a single one.

I increasingly wonder if things would better off if the US just split up into separate countries.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Ither posted:

I increasingly wonder if things would better off if the US just split up into separate countries.

No.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ither posted:

On the one hand, giving Southern politicians a Military would be very bad. On the other hand, watching them get their asses kicked a second time would be very good.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
fwiw, I'm an atheist and I've gotten poo poo for it from my quasi-Catholic parents (who are also lovely about most things, but I literally got "if you don't believe in God what stops you from killing people" from my mom lmao), and my in-laws, who laughed in my face when I tried to tell them that the US isn't a Christian nation and that I don't think we should have the Ten loving Commandments on state property.

Beyond that, I don't bring it up, even though my coworkers every great once and a while will talk about their flavors of Christianity. Whatever gets them, or anyone, through the day is fine by me, so long as they don't start in on poo poo about LGBT people, etc. I've never run into that outside family, though.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ither posted:

Things are bad enough for black folks in the South as it is, could you imagine how bad it would be if they were completely at the mercy of their state governments?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ither posted:

And then reunify when all the olds die? Easier to just sit back and smoke weed, vote dem, and troll them into timely heart attacks.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Phoix posted:

Trump's lawyer is trying to claim that the GC for the GSA who died back in May told them they owned all of their emails but the current deputy counsel says that is not true. :allears:

Pulling a Creed Bratton and blaming the guy who was out sick. It shouldn't matter what assurances this guy made right?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm loving all the "Hmnmm, Roy Moore accusers have suddenly fallen silent!!!" right wing twitter responses as if...I mean what should they be doing? I don't get what they want (besides reality to bend to their twisted will)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
And if there's a trial, they'll scream "he lost why are you sluts still doing this?"(Also "where were these nubile females when I was in my 30s?")

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Koalas March posted:

I hope alternate universe me is kicking rear end and living her best life.

In an infinite worlds scenario there has to be one where you are both literally a smiling koala and also a super hero

Petr posted:

gently caress, what is the Singularity going to do to my infinite clones if I don't have a comment on record supporting NN? What level of infinity are we talking about here? Like, real numbers or just integers?

We are talking actual infinity here so you are both good to go and turbo-hosed an infinite number of times, even in the worlds where there was never met neutrality.

The exception is the one where KM is both a superhero and also an internet lawyer (that’s her superpower there)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bottom Liner posted:

Growing up in a hardcore southern baptist town as an atheist will turn anyone into an rear end in a top hat. That obviously doesn't excuse misogyny or racism but :laffo: if you think atheists cause 1% of the problems that organized religion does in the US. Also, as mentioned, atheists aren't some organized group by any means so the prominent figures of the "community" don't really speak for the rest the same way a big mega church preacher figure does.

It is simultaneously true that atheists are legitimately marginalized and also that militant atheists are useless dickheads. The number one problem with prominent militant atheists is that they trend towards being functional right wingers, they just justify it to themselves based on supposedly rational basis (“muslims are observably savages!”) like some kind of latter day Victorian phrenologists.

They should be derided loudly because their ideas propagating among privileged white kids is just another obstacle we don’t need in this already right leaning country.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Literally Kermit posted:

In an infinite worlds scenario there has to be one where you are both literally a smiling koala and also a superhero

also the inanimate idea of the month of march

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

In an infinite worlds scenario there has to be one where you are both literally a smiling koala and also a super hero

We are talking actual infinity here so you are both good to go and turbo-hosed an infinite number of times, even in the worlds where there was never met neutrality.

The exception is the one where KM is both a superhero and also an internet lawyer (that’s her superpower there)

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/bro_pair/status/942192089554550786

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I just came back from Costco and the guy who checks your receipts said Merry Christmas. Considering he was an old white dude, I can't tell if this was a thinly veiled FU, or if he was legitimately trying to be nice.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Arglebargle III posted:

On the one hand, giving Southern politicians a Military would be very bad. On the other hand, watching them get their asses kicked a second time would be very good.

They key of course is to split the midwest and south off, but keep the east and west coasts as a singular (or at least allied) entity.

That way the conservatives have their own county, but it's hilariously landlocked with all trade having to enter and exit through Liberaltania, Canada and Mexio.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Captain Oblivious posted:

It is simultaneously true that atheists are legitimately marginalized and also that militant atheists are useless dickheads. The number one problem with prominent militant atheists is that they trend towards being functional right wingers, they just justify it to themselves based on supposedly rational basis (“muslims are observably savages!”) like some kind of latter day Victorian phrenologists.

They should be derided loudly because their ideas propagating among privileged white kids is just another obstacle we don’t need in this already right leaning country.

Also a problem is they give credence to religious people who say "Atheism is a religion too!" because they act like atheism is some kind of club with its own rules and dogma. One should be an atheist because they lack a belief in a god, not because some belief system requires it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Religion is a mental disorder.

There is zero difference between believing in god(s) and believing in unicorns.

Hope this helps.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

skylined! posted:

also the inanimate idea of the month of march

Not ruling out there being a “collective koala hive mind MARCHING TO THE BEAT OF JUSTICE” type scenario, I’m just doing the napkin math

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BonoMan posted:

They key of course is to split the midwest and south off, but keep the east and west coasts as a singular (or at least allied) entity.

That way the conservatives have their own county, but it's hilariously landlocked with all trade having to enter and exit through Liberaltania, Canada and Mexio.

you do know the gulf of mexico exists, right

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Phoix posted:

Before I saw the embedded tweets, I had about twenty beautiful seconds where I thought that Trump might have been stitched up by the Girl Scouts of America.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Aves Maria! posted:

you do know the gulf of mexico exists, right

DON'T RUIN MY HASTILY THOUGHT OUT JOKE!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

Religion is a mental disorder.

There is zero difference between believing in god(s) and believing in unicorns.

Hope this helps.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BonoMan posted:

eight of the top ten busiest seaports in the us are in the south my dude

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

boner confessor posted:

eight of the top ten busiest seaports in the us are in the south my dude

See above post.

Anyway the solution is to obvi take over the gulf states and push them into the center.

THEN my joke works.

edit: Hilariously I live in a Southern Gulf state. My brain breezed right on past it.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 17, 2017

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The only sanctioned action is to MURDER THE GODS AND TOPPLE THEIR THRONES.

I’m glad I could clear this up for you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

Disturbing if poo.

• Locked thread