Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Honky Dong Country posted:

China can poo poo out absolutely huge stacks.

And yet when I asked for them to invade the Abbasids they only showed up with 10k guys to the Abby's 30k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

SlothfulCobra posted:

Normally a horse is supposed to have the Horse trait, which makes sure that the horse cannot breed with humans as well as greatly impairing its stat. That horse could actually just be a legit vassal and councilmember now.

Yes definitely. Not long after that trusty Chetak was my marshal and court physician. Being a eunuch he can't marry but his vassal horse Paloma there sure can, so I married it to a family member and some courtiers who were sitting around. This resulted in a child with a human portrait but horse culture. Sadly the child died of camp fever but I'll probably try it again since he was followed by a horse, then a human, and now another horse. Chetak is still alive at 55 years old. I looked at the title history and before Chetak Glitterhoof was elected to his office, which pretty much just raises more questions.

Oh I also made Chetak my apprentice so he's in the hermetic society too. The green learning thing there is multilingual so I assume he speaks the language of my court and horse.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 15, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So my current game has De Jure drift on, which was a mistake. One of the Swedish De Jure duchies has drifted to my kingdom (Norway) and i want my viceroy queen of Sweden to have vassalage over that duchy to reduce border gore, but i can't find a way to do it. Is it not possible or am i missing something?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

binge crotching posted:

And yet when I asked for them to invade the Abbasids they only showed up with 10k guys to the Abby's 30k.

Lol they screwed you hard

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
In my current Hephthalite achievement run at 1000, the Black Death already hit in 950, Tibet has scattered holdings throughout the Eurasian Steppe, with its westernmost being in Bjarmia, Pictland and Denmark are tributaries of the Western Protectorate, and somehow one of my Indian vassals in Gujarat has converted to Letigallian culture and is getting everyone to wear fur hats. I know 769 starts are supposed to end up weird but this is going bonkers really fast.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Dongattack posted:

So my current game has De Jure drift on, which was a mistake. One of the Swedish De Jure duchies has drifted to my kingdom (Norway) and i want my viceroy queen of Sweden to have vassalage over that duchy to reduce border gore, but i can't find a way to do it. Is it not possible or am i missing something?

Not without the console. The best you can do is give them the duchy directly, I think.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

No Pants posted:

Not without the console. The best you can do is give them the duchy directly, I think.

How do i do it with the console?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

Yeah, he is a regular merchant republic vassal. Which also means that every time a republic house dies, an entire court full of new horses will be created. At this point it's a perpetual horse machine.

Now the op just needs a cat republic to go with it.

Seems like creating a Merchant Republic where each house is a different type of animal would make for a great new challenge (admittedly I think there's only horses, cats, and bears at the moment, so we're two short).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dongattack posted:

How do i do it with the console?

Here are the console commands.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Anybody have like a handy miniguide or something for how hordes work? I've tried them a few times before but never really got anywhere. I know like, the basics of having lots of empty holdings and raiding and poo poo, but the thing as a whole just doesn't click for me.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

Anybody have like a handy miniguide or something for how hordes work? I've tried them a few times before but never really got anywhere. I know like, the basics of having lots of empty holdings and raiding and poo poo, but the thing as a whole just doesn't click for me.

More empty holdings means more population, more population means more horde troops. You have 1 actual holding that you can pick up and move around and which has a bunch of nice upgrades you can do to it. If you conquer a holding from someone you can gradually tear it down to get money and tech points and eventually destroy it entirely to get an empty spot. This is basically the only way for you to get tech points but if you tear rear end across the continent you will actually be way ahead of everyone else(and also have billions of dollars). Religion doesn't matter much because you can freely convert to any other clan's religion. There are a bunch of subject Clans, the leaders of which can take over if the Khagan dies and his heir is a child or has low prestige. You can absorb clans to eat all their land and population or split them(if they're the biggest clan) to give some of their land and pop to a new clan, both of which will piss everyone off if you don't have a good reason. The Clans are the only important vassals and don't care at all about you loving over non-clan vassals so there's no reason not to revoke land off of any non-clan vassals and burn it down to somehow learn things from it(getting tech points from pillaging is bizarre and I can only imagine genghis khan snorting the ashes of a library and his head doubling in size), but will get antsy if you have too much land and don't share, or if there aren't enough clans, or if there are too many clans(based on total territory controlled). Clans also form blood bonds, which are unbreakable alliances that prevent all hostile actions and last until a leader dies, and feuds, which are burning blood hatreds that will cause clans to fight all the time. A Clan can have 1 blood bond and infinite feuds so mostly the clan relationships will be an angry red spiderweb of murder and hatred with only the occasional green bff line.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Seems like creating a Merchant Republic where each house is a different type of animal would make for a great new challenge (admittedly I think there's only horses, cats, and bears at the moment, so we're two short).

Normal humans and humans all with the wolf's blood trait. If you're already going through the trouble of getting horses cats and bears in a republic it probably wouldn't be to hard to mod wolf's blood to be hereditary like sayyid or saoshyant but I don't know anything about modding this game. Someone do this for the next mega lp please.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Normal humans and humans all with the wolf's blood trait. If you're already going through the trouble of getting horses cats and bears in a republic it probably wouldn't be to hard to mod wolf's blood to be hereditary like sayyid or saoshyant but I don't know anything about modding this game. Someone do this for the next mega lp please.

If you're Turkish, there is a very good chance of it getting passed down from leader to child. Most of the children will have it, although the AI does have a chance of saying they don't want to pass it on.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It's 980 and the Black Death has just rolled through town.
I waited until the last possible moment to Shut the Gates (despite Smallpox hanging around the whole time) and no-one in my court died. Except the guy screwing one of my daughters, once I'd booted him out of the palace And the old woman we caught sneaking around the tunnels

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Can Bon characters join any societies? I’ve been playing as one for about a hundred years now and haven’t been able to join any. I thought at least the Satanists would take me, but I guess not. Pretty much all of my rulers have had at least one of the required traits for it, but it’s never been an option.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Can Bon characters join any societies? I’ve been playing as one for about a hundred years now and haven’t been able to join any. I thought at least the Satanists would take me, but I guess not. Pretty much all of my rulers have had at least one of the required traits for it, but it’s never been an option.

I'm not sure. They might've got hosed like poor W. Africa.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I swear I had no part in this.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Look out Megaman! It's Doctor Wilys new robot master, Emperorman!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Technowolf posted:

With only a single holding he is not going to last long at all.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

binge crotching posted:

With only a single holding he is not going to last long at all.

He's the Emperor of Hispania, has over 13K troops to call up, and has eaten half of France. I think he'll do just fine.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Technowolf posted:

He's the Emperor of Hispania, has over 13K troops to call up, and has eaten half of France. I think he'll do just fine.

Those are his vassals' troops.
Unless he's got a small number of powerful vassals and has put them on an empowered council he's going to get factioned out of his throne.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

Those are his vassals' troops.
Unless he's got a small number of powerful vassals and has put them on an empowered council he's going to get factioned out of his throne.

Yep. He's screwed. Especially when you look at the map and see all the non-religion vassals he has.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Huh. First time ever getting demon child. Disappointed I turned off satanists this round.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Am I using my council correctly? This is my Venice game and I’ve got a whole four counties now...

My Chancellor is either trying to fabricate a claim on whatever I want to conquer next or improving diplomatic relations.

My Marshal is researching military tech in Venice.

My Steward is collecting taxes in Venice.

My Spymaster is stealing tech.

My Chaplain is researching in Venice.

Is there a better way to use them?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Am I using my council correctly? This is my Venice game and I’ve got a whole four counties now...

My Chancellor is either trying to fabricate a claim on whatever I want to conquer next or improving diplomatic relations.

your marshal should have one that lowers retinue upkeep, i imagine that could be real useful for a merchant republic

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

Suck up to the pope with your chaplain; maybe have your marshal doing the lower ret costs/seeking commanders, you want high martial Italian commanders

otherwise it's fine. Also you may want to start to fabricating on land that you can holy war

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Technowolf posted:

Looks like a secret religion flip to me. Where are all of his claims? If he can't get those to work I think he's done for...

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
As a merchant republic I think you can conquer a single city in my county you own a trade post in and then from that conquer any county you own a city in.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Buschmaki posted:

As a merchant republic I think you can conquer a single city in my county you own a trade post in and then from that conquer any county you own a city in.

You can only conquer the county if it's at most two sea zones away from a county you own.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torrannor posted:

You can only conquer the county if it's at most two sea zones away from a county you own.

This generally isn't a problem. As a Catholic merchant republic your Chancellor should be permanently in Rome taking turns with your Chaplain to get a mouthful of Papal dick. (At least, until you own the Papacy.)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My current Emperor of Britannia has just been named Magus of the Hermetic Society at 25 years old.
The Hermetics are so OP it's kind of funny.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
OK, one more newbie question, as Venice will I need to have fabricated claims on every county I want to grab in a war? I know in EU4 you just needed one and could roll over a country and grab more land, but here it seems like I don't have that option? I want to snatch like 3-4 counties from Italy but I'm not gonna start a war over just one of them if I can't catch 'em all.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
There's a small chance when you fabricate claims that you can get one on an entire Duchy (and I think even Kingdom) but it's not something you can really plan on.

Once you get rolling a bit you can usurp a Ducal title and then De Jure war for the rest of the Duchy without having to fabricate. One of the new Jade Dragon CBs lets you do a Ducal Conquest for a de jure Duchy as long as no-one holds the title. So there's ways to start picking up territory without fabricating each and every time.

The new Force Vassalize CB seems very strong too.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Force vassalize is pretty much the best thing

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

evenworse username posted:

There's a small chance when you fabricate claims that you can get one on an entire Duchy (and I think even Kingdom) but it's not something you can really plan on.

Once you get rolling a bit you can usurp a Ducal title and then De Jure war for the rest of the Duchy without having to fabricate. One of the new Jade Dragon CBs lets you do a Ducal Conquest for a de jure Duchy as long as no-one holds the title. So there's ways to start picking up territory without fabricating each and every time.

The new Force Vassalize CB seems very strong too.

This works perfectly. I got to form the Duchy of Croatia, then nab the land I didn't have.

One more newbie question: when a building says it raises a levy by 7.5% I get that - but what about the buildings that say +75 archers? Do those go in the levies too, or into my retinue?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Peas and Rice posted:

This works perfectly. I got to form the Duchy of Croatia, then nab the land I didn't have.

One more newbie question: when a building says it raises a levy by 7.5% I get that - but what about the buildings that say +75 archers? Do those go in the levies too, or into my retinue?

That's levies. The only thing that goes into retinues are what you choose to raise yourself.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man I'm having a hell of a time with my ironman Israel run. Normally I can pull off forming Israel before 1000 from the Charlie start but it's like 950 and all I've got is Abyssinia and Yemen this time. I joined Abyssinia early and falsely converted, managed to snag Gondar but Egypt was bearing down hard. So I managed to fight for indendence and swear fealty to Egypt before they steamrolled Abyssinia.

Spent a long time in Egypt, slowly swallowing all of Abyssinia from within and gaining 2/3 of Yemen. At this point I was just waiting for my liege to get weak enough to war him for independence and switch to the 'sids to start working my way through them to Jerusalem. But before I could do that the Shias rose up and took over Egypt. This freed me but I wanted to create Abyssinia and Yemen before swearing fealty to the Caliph and the drat Shias stole my one Nubian duchy before I could swear to the 'sids.

And that's where I'm at. I'm the Ashkenazi Sunni Secret-Jew King David of Abyssinia and Yemen. But I'm under the protection of the Abbasid Caliph so that should keep Shia Egypt off me and can expand through Arabia. And if/when decadence shatters Egypt I'll march up the Nile hard AF. This has been a struggle every step of the way but I'm getting there.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Peas and Rice posted:

I like to have my Marshal training troops, since that's a fair boost to feudal levies. I dunno if a merchant republic would need that, tho.

As a Catholic, I usually use my chaplain to convert everything to my religion, and then park it in Rome building religious head opinion full-time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Looks like a secret religion flip to me. Where are all of his claims? If he can't get those to work I think he's done for...

Looks to me more like either a marriage or tutoring mishap. He's sephardic culture as well. His dad and gradfather look like they were both Iqta too, does flipping religion change your government?

Although it'd really be sweet if most of the empire converted as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

does flipping religion change your government?
Depends, but yes in this case.

code:
muslim_government = {
		potential = {
			NAND = {
				controls_religion = yes
				NOT = { religion_group = muslim }
				NOT = { religion = norse_pagan_reformed }
			}
			religion_group = muslim
			NAND = { 
				tier = EMPEROR