Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Maera Sior posted:

When does episode 11 drop? :ohdear:

Literally just showed up on strike right now.
Guess i'm postponing my errands for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

What an astonishing show.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wow. This show continues to blow me away every week. It's amazing.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Next episode confirms that it's ending roughly where I expected it to.

Goodness. This adaptation really is incredible, hitting every single point perfectly. Not a single bad episode in the entire bunch.

Also that cut with this episode's Antarc hallucination, goddamn.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

I want to pay dumb amounts of money for a Shiro "dog" plushie. C'mon Japan, make it happen.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Daedalus1134 posted:

I want to pay dumb amounts of money for a Shiro "dog" plushie. C'mon Japan, make it happen.

You're in luck then
http://store.natalie.mu/html/page170.html

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
By the way, the alexandrite effect is a real thing for anyone wondering.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Alexandrites change color based on lighting. Typically they're green, but under incandescent light they're a reddish-purple.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jesus the butthole is pink

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lmao I'm dying

it really is a purse that you get into via the butthole

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dogsicle posted:

jesus the butthole is pink

yeah that's where you put the candy

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

$18.96? Sure one moment, I need to fist my space dog to get my wallet.
I need this is what I'm saying.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Padparadscha is such a specific color, I'm a little confused as to why Rutile was trying to add corundum without traces of chromium. I know, artistic license, but the pedant in me is bothered.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

EagerSleeper posted:

Can I ask how you cut them because that sounds pretty interesting?

Basically I've got a machine for it that can hold a gem at a very precise angle, height, and rotation and you grind down the gem on flat discs of various grits. Grits can range from 300 to >50,000 with the high end used for polishing. Polishing can also be done with various metal oxides but afaik nobody really knows why that works. :v:

Any news on a second season for this? It sounds like the reception has been good and I'd really like to see the rest of the story adapted by this company.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Yes but do they ship to the land of the free :911:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Yes but do they ship to the land of the free :911:

That's what services like Tenso are for.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Neat gem art
https://twitter.com/ZRe00/status/941973709283254277

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Another amazing episode, I can't believe it's almost over? If they don't announce a s2 I will cry.

Padparadscha looks gorgeous, and I'm wondering how their 'Born with holes and needs replacement bits' will fit in with Phos' 'Born without holes but is great at making them' deal.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I never expected to like a CG anime but it works so well for this show. I watched all 11 episodes that are out in one sitting and now I'm kind of bummed because I'm guessing there won't be much closure next episode. And also I miss old Phos :(

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

This show hurts a lot. It's so good.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

da beeper king BABY posted:

And also I miss old Phos :(

I miss her so much.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i blame the loss of phos' pep and energy on viggynash

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

And also I miss old Phos :(
At least we still have Diamond. :unsmith:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Still sitting here kinda stunned about how the horrifying monster from last week turned into Puppy Trouble this week and it wasn't jarring to me in the slightest. The show balances a lot of different stuff simultaneously and it does it really well.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I was thinking today about the nature of Master Kongo and what it says about the rest of the characters. We know that Kongo a) knows more than the rest, including something about humans, b) is super hard and heavy c) needs to rest, but isn't tied to the sun and d) is worshipped/loved/desired by at least some of the Lunarians. Everyone knows that Kongo is hiding something massive about the nature of what's going on re: the Lunarians, but everyone other than Phos seems to be ok with this. I'm not sure if most of them don't consider lying by omission (even on something that puts their lives in jeopardy) to be important, or worth worrying over, or if they even care at all. I'm not sure if this is an illustration of how alien they are or how hosed up they are.
I've come to the conclusion that Kongo is fundamentally different from the rest of them, and probably not made of microorganisms + minerals, but can't come up with anything better.

On anther note, can someone tell me which branch(es) of Buddhism is/are inspiring this? There a massive dose of Hinduism in the design aesthetic, but that's all I've got.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm assuming that Kongo just helped that Lunarian doggo finally move on to the other side, and escape the endless cycle of rebirth that Lunarians have (assuming Lunarians just reappear at home when they 'die'), which is a pretty Buddhist thing to do. I'd love to say more about which form of Buddhism that matches what this show is, but I don't know much about it beyond the basics. Assuming a Buddhist stance on things though I'm also guessing that the Lunarians might like Kongo based on purely earthly reasons, such as Kongo's power. Perhaps instead they feel that Kongo represents their soul being able to meet fulfillment (enough to pass on), but they might not consciously know it, or they try grabbing Kongo physically because they can't interpret how to reach enlightenment beyond simply grabbing lmao.

I want to say Kongo is still benevolent, but drat this whole situation seems suspicious...

Xun posted:

Basically I've got a machine for it that can hold a gem at a very precise angle, height, and rotation and you grind down the gem on flat discs of various grits. Grits can range from 300 to >50,000 with the high end used for polishing. Polishing can also be done with various metal oxides but afaik nobody really knows why that works. :v:

Thank you for the answer, btw!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I don't think Kongo is in cahoots with the Lunarians or anything like that, something like that does not make sense in light of the things Kongo has said to the Lunarians when alone, like when the Lunarians attacked in winter. I think Kongo is benevolent, at least from their own perspective, but whether Phos and the other gems would agree is something we don't know.

Anyway, very cool episode, I did not think I would end up feeling sad as that giant Lunarian passed away but they sure got me in the feels right there. Anyway, looking forward to meeting a new gem next week, one with the most 80's rock band hair I've ever seen.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the fwiggen floating tongue

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I've been wondering for a while why this series seemed familiar and I just worked it out, this story reminds me of Nier in a lot of ways. The main characters' stories are very different but the setup of the world is pretty similar.

Ponies Ist Krieg posted:

Did they also not notice how pho doesn't even know what breasts are when they first meet a sea person,
that's a big hint that the sentient space rocks definitely don't fit into classical conceptions of gender.
Also they are rocks.

It's because people like to be really petty when it comes to pronouns and gender identity, I guess they think if you continually disrespect even fictional charectors you "win".

Not just classical conceptions, they don't have a conception of gender period, there's no reason for them to have one.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I never expected to like a CG anime but it works so well for this show. I watched all 11 episodes that are out in one sitting and now I'm kind of bummed because I'm guessing there won't be much closure next episode. And also I miss old Phos :(

Well, it works but not being a 100% CG anime. The backgrounds? Pure 2d traditional art. Some of the character close ups? Redrawn in 2d, too.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Just going to say Rutile's face is very good

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Maera Sior posted:

Padparadscha is such a specific color, I'm a little confused as to why Rutile was trying to add corundum without traces of chromium. I know, artistic license, but the pedant in me is bothered.

Phos has been repaired with argate, coral and gold, I think what materials take is a bit of a crapshoot.

Strange that these holes are actually causing problems though. We've seen gems functional with far worse-looking damage. At worst, couldn't they cannibalise some of that hair, like Phos did?

On Sensei: has anyone tried just straight-up asking him what his deal is?

Brutal Garcon fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 17, 2017

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/alex30818/status/942229117973405698

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Dzhay posted:

Phos has been repaired with argate, coral and gold, I think what materials take is a bit of a crapshoot.
Phos was conscious while it happened, not to mention that no one knew if it would work - and things went haywire every time. Jamming non-matching rocks into an unconscious person seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Maera Sior posted:

Phos was conscious while it happened, not to mention that no one knew if it would work - and things went haywire every time. Jamming non-matching rocks into an unconscious person seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Bear in mind, we're talking about a person who cut a dog in half because they were bored.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It almost seems like something like Kongo and the Lunarians were both once humans - when Shiro was vanishing I'm pretty sure there was a couple of frames where there was a wisp of an actual dog and not the poofy goofy dog from the rest of the episode - but that seems way too obvious.

EDIT: As for asking Sensei, iunno if anyone has, but it'd be pretty easy to understand if nobody has. We've definitely seen Sensei have a temper before, even if it was justified, and if you get exiled from the rest of the group you're basically Lunarian bait. Cinnabar can probably take care of themselves, but if, say, Dia had been out on their own when they used their broken arms as weapons, they'd have had to just sit there until the next wave of Lunarians came and got them. Even Bort would have been grabbed by the new Lunarian without Phos around. They need each other, so nobody wants to risk their place in the group.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 17, 2017

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Somewhere in the world someone ponders "Do I need a car? or do I need some of that official merch?"

https://www.tasaki.co.jp/land_of_the_lustrous/character/

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Dzhay posted:

Bear in mind, we're talking about a person who cut a dog in half because they were bored.

Fair point. "Why not?" is probably a good enough reason for Rutile.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

a kitten posted:

Still sitting here kinda stunned about how the horrifying monster from last week turned into Puppy Trouble this week and it wasn't jarring to me in the slightest. The show balances a lot of different stuff simultaneously and it does it really well.

It turned into puppy trouble then led to an incredibly horrifying realization lol

Like last week's monster was terrifying but also exciting. This week was cute but just hurt my soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Yak of Wrath posted:

Somewhere in the world someone ponders "Do I need a car? or do I need some of that official merch?"

https://www.tasaki.co.jp/land_of_the_lustrous/character/

I don't know if that merch is actually the relevant stones, but if anyone is curious, real phosphophylite is very loving expensive.

• Locked thread