Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rerolling chests doesn't seem like a good strategy during this event. Most of the holiday skins are epics, so the odds of getting them are slim. And while you will get the rares eventually (Malthael and Kharazim) you get a dozen animated sprays first. Better just to reroll for shard value I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Why on Earth wouldn't you train the system with a month of data before launching instead letting it take weeks to figure out pros are good.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

I am not losing as much playing with Hanjo as I do with one on my team in overwatch

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Man this was a good week to have 0 time to play HotS :dance:

Having withdrawal, though. Just woke up from a dream where the camera was zoomed out way too far. Still managed to flip Butcher over our wall as Diablo. Woke up honestly surprised that it was a dream.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

porfiria posted:

I really don't get the attachment to Performance Based MMR.

It's solely to shut people up who continually cry about "MMR hell", because now they can't put the blame on their team when the system gives them negative performance adjustments.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Why on Earth wouldn't you train the system with a month of data before launching instead letting it take weeks to figure out pros are good.

They've been training it for the better part of a year with pro data. The AI is just bad.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

wiegieman posted:

PBMMR was doing things like giving out negative points to people who won games quickly. If one team stomps the other, they should get more MMR, so that they get up to the MMR band they belong at and not get matched up with people who can't compete with them and get stomped.

If the system isn’t rating performance on a scale that includes game time in any way then I’m honestly baffled as to how it was designed. It seems like there’s some really obvious things that would take anyone looking at game data five minutes to chart out in terms of what variables you would score. And your scoring would absolutely have to include performance / time or else what the gently caress are you doing? The ultimate game score becomes those assholes who stalled a hanamura forever to farm 125 kills.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I just wish blizz showed you what PBMM evaluated on. Ideally, that would help you improve your game by knowing X metric was better or worse than 50% of other players. Of course, then people will try to game those stats, but now people are trying to game stats anyways and it's all a giant tire fire.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
As I’ve understood it the system uses time slices to evaluate performance so it absolutely does include a time dimension.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Midnightghoul posted:

Some of the stuff on reddit from when HL was up was pretty wild. Multiple pro players getting major penalties to ranked points for playing correctly (there was a good writeup about how the system intends for tanks to take as much damage and use cooldowns as much as possible, and penalizing efficient tank play), some high rank GM players getting moved back to Diamond/Plat/Gold, and vice versa

This is exactly what I meant when I predicted players would find out how to game the system. Turns out the best way of ranking someone is whether they win or lose and attempting to use numbers to analyze and reward (or punish) performance is a waste of dev time!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Libertine posted:

If the system isn’t rating performance on a scale that includes game time in any way then I’m honestly baffled as to how it was designed. It seems like there’s some really obvious things that would take anyone looking at game data five minutes to chart out in terms of what variables you would score. And your scoring would absolutely have to include performance / time or else what the gently caress are you doing? The ultimate game score becomes those assholes who stalled a hanamura forever to farm 125 kills.
They explicitly said the system took game length into account and shouldn't punish you for a long/short game. That in practice people always seemed to get a negative rating for winning fast matches suggests there was something wrong with the training.

My wild guess: In really fast one-sided stomps the winning team usually doesn't do much structure damage (because they just blast through one lane) and racks up a lot of kills while not laning and mercing as much as they would in a normal game. To the algorithm it looks like they're scrubs that need to l2p rather than players who so outclass the other team that they don't need to do anything but fight.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Erdricks posted:

I just wish blizz showed you what PBMM evaluated on. Ideally, that would help you improve your game by knowing X metric was better or worse than 50% of other players. Of course, then people will try to game those stats, but now people are trying to game stats anyways and it's all a giant tire fire.

It evaluates basically everything, but the weighting changes periodically based on what wins games. They can't say "get lots of siege damage with X character" because in a few weeks that may not be what wins games as that character, it might be hero damage or taking camps. The idea of the system is you try to win games. Whether it's going to pan out or not remains to be seen.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

lucifirius posted:

There's a reason Overwatch doesn't use it (as much?).

What? No, Overwatch absolutely uses performance based MMR, it's just that they black box it "so people can't game the system" but all this does is A). cause SR gains to be wonky at times whenever they adjust the balance of various features but fail to appropriately adjust their performance-based metrics and B). cause every player to have a million unfounded theories as to what the performance-based MMR grades on, which leads to people blaming their team/one-tricks/the phases of the moon for their losses instead of going "oh thank you game for giving me useful feedback to improve upon."

porfiria posted:

I really don't get the attachment to Performance Based MMR.

Performance-based MMR is one of those things that sounds great on paper...why wouldn't you want to give players more SR for playing the game "well?" It encourages people to use good strategies and do useful things, right? But the problem, as it always is, remains that any performance-based MMR system is only as good as the people who program it. In other words, what performance-based MMR means is that you're relying on a bunch of Blizzard programmers to understand how to "properly" play the game and program the system accordingly and this never, ever, ever, ever, ever works in practice because there's a pretty significant gap between what a bunch of programmers like to think is the "right" way to play and how things actually work, especially as players get more skilled.

Like the example that got brought up earlier re: tanks, to some guy at Blizzard it probably makes perfect sense that tanks should be graded on soaking damage and using cooldowns as often as possible, but it's not hard to imagine that actually it's probably a sign of better, more efficient play for tank players to not soak a bunch of damage they don't have to and to save their important abilities for when they're most impactful, but if Blizzard decides that their vision of the game is the correct one then guess what that means?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

What? No, Overwatch absolutely uses performance based MMR, it's just that they black box it "so people can't game the system" but all this does is A). cause SR gains to be wonky at times whenever they adjust the balance of various features but fail to appropriately adjust their performance-based metrics and B). cause every player to have a million unfounded theories as to what the performance-based MMR grades on, which leads to people blaming their team/one-tricks/the phases of the moon for their losses instead of going "oh thank you game for giving me useful feedback to improve upon."
They have announced that they are removing the performance part of the MMR from the ranks above diamond so they are limiting it compared to HotS.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Kai Tave posted:

Performance-based MMR is one of those things that sounds great on paper...why wouldn't you want to give players more SR for playing the game "well?" It encourages people to use good strategies and do useful things, right? But the problem, as it always is, remains that any performance-based MMR system is only as good as the people who program it. In other words, what performance-based MMR means is that you're relying on a bunch of Blizzard programmers to understand how to "properly" play the game and program the system accordingly and this never, ever, ever, ever, ever works in practice because there's a pretty significant gap between what a bunch of programmers like to think is the "right" way to play and how things actually work, especially as players get more skilled.

Like the example that got brought up earlier re: tanks, to some guy at Blizzard it probably makes perfect sense that tanks should be graded on soaking damage and using cooldowns as often as possible, but it's not hard to imagine that actually it's probably a sign of better, more efficient play for tank players to not soak a bunch of damage they don't have to and to save their important abilities for when they're most impactful, but if Blizzard decides that their vision of the game is the correct one then guess what that means?

It's also possibly the case that metrics do an OK job separating mediocre players from horrible ones--someone who walks into towers and is dead 40% of the game is fairly easy to see statistically. But separating mediocre from good or really good seems way harder.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

biznatchio posted:

QM doesn't guarantee you a healer or a tank. It only matches like to like. (And recently it doesn't seem to be doing even that well.)

So what do you play if you don’t have any friends who like this game but are interested in a balanced team? I only play QM because I’m an old fart and remember when I didn’t own enough heroes to play anything else. They eventually relented and let people pick like 20% of the roster to unlock, but I still keep playing QM mostly because I just focus on the daily gold quests until I unlock all my personal favorite characters.

Which will take approximately forever, so I might as well ask about the alternatives now.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kai Tave posted:

Well, the best players know what they have to do and whether they care about being rank 1 world or just being ranked super high is on them. What matters most to them is going to be tournament play, and they’ll do what is most likely to win rather than what gives the highest MMR gains.

The person at the very top had to be good to get there, even if they cheesed the factors the system grades on to get that spot. It’s sort of like how the #1 Ranked Hearthstone player day to day isn’t always the most valuable tournament player, but they’re clearly better than all but 500 or so people.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Craptacular! posted:

So what do you play if you don’t have any friends who like this game but are interested in a balanced team?

Play unranked mode.

Which has the added benefit that no matter which character you play, every game counts toward completion for your daily quests.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That's technically not a good thing if you're trying to absolutely maximize your gold gain tho.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

But hero league is the easiest way to do quests?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

John Murdoch posted:

That's technically not a good thing if you're trying to absolutely maximize your gold gain tho.

Pretty great if you just log in every few days to clear the quest backlog as quickly as possible though.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Good Canadian Boy posted:

But hero league is the easiest way to do quests?

How is hero league any different from Unranked Draft here?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Craptacular! posted:

Well, the best players know what they have to do and whether they care about being rank 1 world or just being ranked super high is on them. What matters most to them is going to be tournament play, and they’ll do what is most likely to win rather than what gives the highest MMR gains.

There's no reason for "things that give you good MMR gains" and "things that actually make you a better player" to be operating on separate axes, is the point.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

None of that is how machine learning works though. The entire idea is that Blizzard doesn't determine what makes players good. An algorithm looks at a lot of data and finds patterns that good players follow. And that will get better over time as it looks at more and more data. You can argue over how well that works but none of what you said applies to machine learning.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

DisgracelandUSA posted:

My understanding is that they did.

TwoWordName
Jan 3, 2013

QM matchmaking is... good.

TwoWordName fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 17, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Love the winking lootbox overlooking that

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I was going to say, I relate to that Stukov, but then I realized how terrible his healing was, what the hell. 60k would be below average for a game that long. Laffo @ Zarya's shoields being more valuable over all.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Even less healing than Tyrande. But then I noticed which award he got and it all makes sense now.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Do I need to have some software running to capture replays? Or is there something existing I just need to extract?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Check if you have them here
C:\Users\(your login)\Documents\Heroes of the Storm\Accounts\(some number)\1-Hero-1-6683\Replays\Multiplayer

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You can also just open the "watch" tab in game and click "view folder in explorer" (some wording like that)

They save automatically and can play on any HotS client, though if they're from a previous patch it may take a while for them to load.

If you want them in standalone video format for youtube or w/e, you'll need to play them while using a screen capture like OBS.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Newbie update. Been playing for about two weeks now. I got Gul'dan and Brightwing to 5 today. Gul'dan seems pretty fun. He can clear waves, and has good sustain. His ult is good for teamfights too. In the uncoordinated world of quickmatch, he seems pretty solid. My win rate with him was quite good.

Brightwing is...well...I apparently can't figure out how to brightwing effectively. I might even be the worst brightwing player of all time, as I lost every single game. I don't seem to do particularly good healing, or particularly good damage. Enlighten me good sirs, how do I not be bad with the hungry faerie dragon?

I tried Sgt. Hammer after brightwing, but was getting sick of my losing streak, so I went back to butcher to get back to winning. Doing a butcher build focusing on block and charge abilities seems effective.

Thinking Butcher is definitely going end up being a gold purchase for me after he goes off the free rotation. Have saved up about 12000 gold so far from this week.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 17, 2017

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Filthy Monkey posted:

Brightwing is...well...I apparently can't figure out how to brightwing effectively. I lost every game in which I played, so it is entirely possible that I am terrible with brightwing. I don't seem to do particularly good healing, or particularly good damage. Enlighten me good sirs, how do I not be bad?
Polymorph is probably the best CC on any support in the game, especially against certain "hyper-carry" characters like Butcher or Illidan. You don't deal with that as much in QM though. Her heal is all about positioning, like Li Li but weaker per hero, but it's also free and everyone around you. It's great if the team is grouping up, aren't going to need a heal RIGHT NOW, and want the fight to go long. Her Q can do GREAT damage, but only if you hit them in the inner circle - even pros have trouble pulling it off consistently. It clears waves pretty effectively though! Which goes nicely with her trait - global movement abilities are extremely powerful, but take a lot of practice and map awareness to use well. If you're soaking two or more minion waves while the enemy team is rotating, and still teleport in to make it a fair fight - well, you've contributed more XP than a kill, most of the time. Maybe even put pressure on their structures. It'll feel weird being in a lane by yourself as a support, but it'll help your team out a lot.

Blink Heal is fine, probably your go-to with most random QM comps, but I think Emerald Winds is the better ult. Like Gust, it doesn't do anything besides moving people around because, like Gust, it would be ridiculously overpowered if it did. With proper positioning, your ult is stealing a boss, turning a 5v5 into a 2v5 followed by a 3v5, or completely shutting down the enemy team as they try to engage.

Plus she brings Bribe and Cleanse, which can be amazing in certain situations or against certain comps.

Overall, Brightwing isn't going to top damage, or healing, or anything else. She is mostly a non-factor as a support against burst damage team compositions. But she brings more utility than any other character in the game I can think of. In the right situation, she'll counter an entire enemy team by herself.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Appreciate the advice. I agree with the brightwing waveclear being decent. I did often find myself on soaking duty, since I find that is often something people neglect to do. I tried both ultimates with Brightwing, and neither one really impressed me. I can see your reasoning behind emerald wind though. I definitely was picking up the increased polymorph duration talent. That one seemed like a no brainer.

With butcher I've found more success generally not soaking myself, but instead trying to gank people soaking lanes. If they extend out a little too far, particularly if they aren't at full health, running at them and trying to hack their precious face meat off will sometimes net a kill. I am still pretty bad at the game, but he has been my most successful assassin character so far.

In a couple of the butcher games today I had a Medivh buddies who seemed to like to stick with me. Definitely helpful having portals and shields for safer face carving. Also had some amusing tassidar walls, trapping enemies next to me for delicious dismemberment.

What builds to people like for butchering? I've mostly been using something like this so far. I have been torn between enraged and bloody frezny for the 16 talent.
https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/the-butcher#kgOV

Kind of trying to focus on some survivability, along with the charge skill talents.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 17, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Filthy Monkey posted:

What builds to people like for butchering? I've mostly been using something like this so far. I have been torn between enraged and bloody frezny for the 16 talent.
https://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/the-butcher#kgOV

Kind of trying to focus on some survivability, along with the charge skill talents.

I generally go for the Hamstring talents at 1 and 4, being able to use it quicker, cheaper, and at longer range synergizes well with Brutal Strike at 13 which empowers your next three autoattacks after using Hamstring, so being able to proc that more often can be a nice way to up your overall DPS, and it works no matter when you use Hamstring, so it's good against structures, mercs, etc, but hitting heroes means you can proc it again even sooner. At 7 if I'm really worried about heavy burst comps Meat Shield is good, otherwise I go for Insatiable Blade, then at 16 and 20 unless there's a compelling reason to take Bolt of the Storm I generally just take Blood Frenzy and Nexus Blades.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kai Tave posted:

There's no reason for "things that give you good MMR gains" and "things that actually make you a better player" to be operating on separate axes, is the point.

But there is, because otherwise every change to talents, abilities, stats, etc doesn't change what the hero is supposed to do. This is the most outrageous example to prove the point, but if in theory they accidentally give Hammer the ability to be the best healer in the game in the hands of the most talented player, that doesn't mean she was intended to become a support. If you want a game where heroes actually shift their entire purpose every time a balance patch is out and the company threw the entire concept of roles out of the window, go play Dota2. You will find a game where last week's team-slaughtering high damage powerhouse is this week's preferred low damage disabler/healer, and the entire concept of roles has been abolished.

And as much as I loved to watch TI4 Support Jugg, as pro-play so out of left field that other pros disregarded it as a prank at practice, I'd actually personally rather play a game where roles are strictly enforced. Because that kind of "you figure out what it should do" design adds a lot of complexity that, again just to me personally, is cool and awesome to watch and way too frustrating to actually play.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Tibalt posted:

I think Emerald Winds is the better ult. Like Gust, it doesn't do anything besides moving people around

It does actually do a lot of damage as well. I once won a 1v1 against Kharazim by surprising him with a close cast Q (it has no travel time if the target area is right next to you) and ult combo, doing like 900 damage in one burst.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Win or lose I’m having too much fun as Hanjo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
i was so hyped for the MMR system changes

i'm a drat fool