Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
You should eat two whole bags of Cheetos while watching an entire season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Henchman of Santa posted:

Such as?

Again, nobody is making you binge the shows. Like you alluded to, you just need self control.

I know at least one season of better call saul was released weekly, plus shows like star trek discovery, designated survivor, etc.

Anyway I don't believe the internet will become the china-esque hellscape people are wringing their hands about. I don't think things will get better (which wouldn't be saying much - awful companies like Spectrum were able to exist when there were net neutrality rules), but I don't think the end user will see much of a change - maybe at worst a slight rate increase. I guess we'll see.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I know at least one season of better call saul was released weekly, plus shows like star trek discovery, designated survivor, etc.

Better Call Saul is an AMC series, not Netflix. They just put it on Netflix in Europe after it airs over here.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I eat rear end is European? I thought they had better schools over there

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah I eat rear end is European? I thought they had better schools over there

I'm an american living in europe, don't worry, their superior intellect hasn't rubbed off on me.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Better Call Saul is an AMC series, not Netflix. They just put it on Netflix in Europe after it airs over here.

I'm not making the distinction between 'new series on netflix' and 'new series that is a netflix original'.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TheMaskedUgly posted:

I'm not making the distinction between 'new series on netflix' and 'new series that is a netflix original'.

If it was an AMC series then surely the season would have dropped all at once like with every other show that does eventually comes to Netflix months later.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fruit on the bottom posted:

If it was an AMC series then surely the season would have dropped all at once like with every other show that does eventually comes to Netflix months later.

No, they really put it up like a day after it airs in the states. That’s what I hear from the Brit goons in the BCS thread.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah it basically got slapped up just after an ep premiered, so it was as if it was “airing” on netflix. Like how streaming services like hbo will release just after the epsiode officially airs.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i feel everyone is taking the net neutrality thing out of control right now, because it isn't dead yet, the repeal still has to go by congress. so its less "we're hosed" and more "get ready for round two"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

spit on my clit posted:

i feel everyone is taking the net neutrality thing out of control right now, because it isn't dead yet, the repeal still has to go by congress. so its less "we're hosed" and more "get ready for round two"

Yeah, I'm sure the group of people who just signed off on what is essentially the largest transfer of wealth to the oligarchical elite in American history is going to help the little guy this time. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Last I heard there were 17 states suing the FCC over it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
And WA lawmakers from both parties are already preparing legislation to enforce Net Neutrality at the state level. This is gonna go on for a while.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

fruit on the bottom posted:

And WA lawmakers from both parties are already preparing legislation to enforce Net Neutrality at the state level.

I don't see how that's enforceable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All shows Netflix funds themselves are released in one batch.

Netflix also buys the regional rights to shows in many countries and marks them as Netflix Originals with no branding difference between those and actual funded stuff. Those sometimes release weekly as they air in their home country. This is common in non-US regions getting US shows.

spit on my clit posted:

It doesn’t have to but congress has the option.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Dec 16, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Dross posted:

I don't see how that's enforceable.

From the announcement it would be a requirement for them to adhere to if they wanted to do business within the state and presumably would only apply to WA residents. Beyond that the bills haven’t been formally revealed (or likely even written) so I don’t know.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I haven't gauged anyone on this opinion's popularity, but I figure it will be unpopular:

Spotify (or other music streaming sources) are stupid as poo poo. Practically every mobile device comes with an SD slot, right? Just put all the music you like on that thing, and voila, every song you like, for free, and you can skip infinitely, and without using any data.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

MisterBibs posted:

I haven't gauged anyone on this opinion's popularity, but I figure it will be unpopular:

Spotify (or other music streaming sources) are stupid as poo poo. Practically every mobile device comes with an SD slot, right? Just put all the music you like on that thing, and voila, every song you like, for free, and you can skip infinitely, and without using any data.

I don't want to listen to the same songs forever, I like a streaming service that picks out stuff for me using an algorithm

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

But I like the radio, sometimes they play songs I don't know or haven't listened to in forever. The, larger than I could do, variety makes up for the variable quality.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

iPhones don’t have SD cards and they’re the only model of phone of significance.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I just can't understand why someone would want on-demand access to a nearly limitless supply of music by almost any artist they could think of, why don't they just buy an mp3 player and load it up with 16 gigs of their favorite songs like me

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

iPhones don’t have SD cards and they’re the only model of phone of significance.

I hadn't thought of that; every phone I've ever had has had a slot for it. I guess if you're gimped like that, it'd serve a purpose.

I really don't get the finding-new-stuff thing, though, since pretty much any new addition to my musical interest comes incidentally. Realize I like a song from a jukebox or wherever, write its name in my note-taking app on my phone, pull it down and add it to all the places I need it later.

Vaguely unrelated thing and not really an opinion, but I've never sorted my music into folders or anything. Just one big file with everything in it, properly tagged.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 06:51 on Dec 17, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

gently caress listening to ads

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I have an ad blocker for spotify 😉

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Spotify is great but my unpopular opinion is that hauling a big rear end iPod Classic around is also great. They serve somewhat different listening purposes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not if you are willing to pay 10 bux a month which is basically a steal for faux owning almost ever album you could imagine. I could not be happier about getting rid of all of my physical and digital music in favor of streaming.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Not if you are willing to pay 10 bux a month which is basically a steal for faux owning almost ever album you could imagine. I could not be happier about getting rid of all of my physical and digital music in favor of streaming.

I half feel the same way, but the other half is that a lot of the music I listen to now just disappears into the ether when I'm done with it, and I'll never get to listen to it later. There's songs I've listened to a hundred times that I can't remember the name of.

That's certainly an advantage of having a non ephemeral music collection.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

pidan posted:

I half feel the same way, but the other half is that a lot of the music I listen to now just disappears into the ether when I'm done with it, and I'll never get to listen to it later. There's songs I've listened to a hundred times that I can't remember the name of.

That's certainly an advantage of having a non ephemeral music collection.

spotify has like 3 different ways of saving songs though?? just save them to your library or put them in a playlist, I find new music there all the time and compile it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like it's actually easier with streaming services to find lost stuff since your history get's saved to some degree and there's all sorts of saving options. My only gripe is that every single one of them has a terrible UI.

So many years of lugging around like 1500 records and god knows how many CD's and filling up valuable HDD space with MP3's and having to run speaker wire and gently caress around with my amp and turntable. Getting rid of all of it years ago in favor of a google play sub and a nice little bluetooth speaker felt like taking a huge satisfying dump.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There's an attitude about the convenience of 4G and wifi access that bugs me. It just kinda reminds me that when people live in a place where they have constant access to [thing], they assume everyone everywhere has access to [thing]. And then that translates to a greater problem wherein people assume everywhere in the world works like it does at home and that their solutions to problems should be applicable everywhere else, what are they, stupid?!

Note this has little to do with the discussion on music libraries and moreso to do with an old biology teacher. :rant:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

That bugs me too. Especially if you are using your phone for navigation, people freak out if they lose the signal in the more remote portions of the country. It doesnt happen often anymore but still, its like people have forgotten that there are other ways to navigate than a phone.

I'm not very old and even i remember having to use maps or god forbid stop somewhere and ask for directions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it's safe to assume that anyone posting here either has pretty good access to wifi and 4g, or will otherwise state that it's not the case for them. In no way do I think everyone on earth has that privilege. But everyone talking about this right here right now most likely does.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Egh, last time I was visiting Montana I was posting here on an 88k connection. And uploading goddamn work files on it, too! :suicide:

But really, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here. The topic just reminded me of a pet peeve I'm developing in that "Just because it works here don't mean it works there." should not be an unpopular opinion. And it is, and it's frustrating. Particularly so when people want to tell you how it should work where you come from and they've never been!

It's 3 am and I'm grumpy!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

filling up valuable HDD space with MP3's and having to run speaker wire

this is nonsensical

those streaming services can and will bone you guys eventually

I listen to poo poo on YouTube a couple times, and if I like it I buy mp3s on Amazon or from the label website

when you use Spotify or last.FM to suggest music, you're not seeing all of the music that you could be seeing. You're seeing what the service is selling to you. There's nothing stopping them from suggesting poo poo just because they make more money from it. Without net neutrality your service could get throttled because it doesn't have music from labels with a favorable relationship with your ISP / carrier. poo poo can be taken down or put up out of nowhere, changing the value of what you're paying for. They could start shoehorning in more ads, or make them harder to block. I think streaming is only going to go downhill from here

hawowanlawow has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Dec 17, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PHUO: Some people care way too much about what products and services other people use.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Just listen to the radio, it's all you deserve.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

PHUO: Some people care way too much about what products and services other people use.

it's what we're talking about

this subforum can dish it, but it cannot take it

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Unpopular opinion: people listen to too much music. Everyone constantly has headphones in whether they're shopping, walking, on the bus, in a car, at home...do you really need a constant soundtrack for your life?

Listen to a bird or something or enjoy some silence once in a while.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Unpopular opinion: people listen to too much music. Everyone constantly has headphones in whether they're shopping, walking, on the bus, in a car, at home...do you really need a constant soundtrack for your life?

Listen to a bird or something or enjoy some silence once in a while.

they probably just saw you coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

they probably just saw you coming

wow...rude