Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah, a significant event that affected liquidity, the price of bitcoin, or otherwise made people reconsider cryptos. In April the reaction to the bitfinex news was quite significant, it gave people pause and made an impact.

The miscellaneous exchange and even mining hacks that happen from time to time have not had the same impact as what happened in April :shrug: Not even nicehash, has it made people stop mining or buying cryptos? nope

So in your opinion Bitfinex stopping USD withdrawals is a disaster, but getting hacked and losing $60M is not?

I mean Bitfinex stopping USD withdrawals was the 8-months ago disaster that you were referring to, right? Isn't that what you said?

Come on dude everyone knows you're full of poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ok real quick lets go back and see what I posted

Where do you see the word hacked smart guy lmao

According to this post an exchange getting hacked can never be a disaster, good to know that that's never a bad thing

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
i think bitfinex/tether is the disaster, they probably "hacked" themselves

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation

CassandraZara posted:

Well if they got their money back then it's all good but otherwise there's like a lot of money just fading into the ether...

realpost: The creator of Ethereum didn't lose any money this time (unlike the DAO hack) so it was decided that a fork would not be in Ethereum's best interest

divabot posted:

The deprecated failing fiat-based New York Times

I can assure you that every finance journalist is watching this one, popcorn to hand. The main problem with actually informative bitcoin coverage is that the mechanics of it are obscure and tedious - nobody cares, even when they're highly relevant. Also, bitcoin is good for headlines but in any practical terms it's just a blip in finance. So they have trouble getting their editors to care. You'll see detailed analyses after it falls over. Probably.

No... no I have been assured by butt experts (Ham Sandwiches) that this is just a wacky conspiracy theory spread by 1 guy on twitter. Tether failing to counteract any of those claims with evidence and instead resorting to ad hominem attacks is just like... boys being boys I guess

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

treerat posted:

What would be sensible is if they were just doing a con in order to raise money. What would be narratively interesting is if they did it with Bulgaria or Russia or DPRK in order to raise money for COBRA. What is probably the case is that they're running ahead of a slow-motion disaster like the This Is Fine Dog.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

QuarkJets posted:

Come on dude everyone knows you're full of poo poo lol

what do you expect from a laughable nocoiner like Hammy, probably still upset he didn't BUY IN EARLY

https://twitter.com/Silver_Watchdog/status/942101565564895232

i am of course confident that every one of those 100 million tethers is from genuine institutional demand for tethers, and each is backed by a shiny dollar in a bank account that exists. this is fine.jpg.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation

treerat posted:

You're probably right about the "hacking" but that was just last month, not 8 months ago. So that's surely not what HS is referring to

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

divabot posted:

what do you expect from a laughable nocoiner like Hammy, probably still upset he didn't BUY IN EARLY

https://twitter.com/Silver_Watchdog/status/942101565564895232

i am of course confident that every one of those 100 million tethers is from genuine institutional demand for tethers, and each is backed by a shiny dollar in a bank account that exists. this is fine.jpg.

Did you not see their audit?

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Nessus posted:

Have the legacy press been informed about this Tether business?

https://tether.to/legal/

quote:

GOVERNING LAW: These Terms of Service shall be governed by and construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the British Virgin Islands, and shall be interpreted in all respects as a British Virgin Islands contract. The venue for any claim or action against or involving us shall be in the British Virgin Islands. The doctrine of forum non conveniens shall not apply in the selection of forum under these Terms of Service.

:laffo:

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
yooooooo holy poo poo

https://goatse.cx/

no really click it

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

HCFJ posted:

yooooooo holy poo poo

no really click it
look at the size of that man's coin offering

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

HCFJ posted:

yooooooo holy poo poo

no really click it

oh my god!
real buttcoin!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
So I was reading about the legislation that led to Coinbase and basically all of the other exchanges blocking Hawaii residents from having accounts, and the requirements actually seem pretty reasonable: they have to have enough cash (USD) on hand to cover any cryptocurrencies held on that exchange by Hawaii residents. Presumably they should already be practicing some sort of fractional reserve banking in case a ton of people want to withdraw all at once, but Hawaii is one of the least populous US states, so presumably covering that few people should be easy to accomplish even with a really risky reserve like 1%. The key here is that they're only required to hold 100% reserve for Hawaii residents, so in practice that'd be comparable to something like a 0.5% reserve overall

As a point of reference, US banks are required to keep a 10% fractional reserve. But that's apparently way more (like at least an order of magnitude more) than any cryptocurrency exchange is willing to meet.

Does this suggest that Coinbase actually has much smaller cash reserves than anyone realizes?

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 17, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

So I was reading about the legislation that led to Coinbase and basically all of the other exchanges blocking Hawaii residents from having accounts, and the requirements actually seem pretty reasonable: they have to have enough cash (USD) on hand to cover any cryptocurrencies held on that exchange by Hawaii residents. Presumably they should already be practicing some sort of fractional reserve banking in case a ton of people want to withdraw all at once, but Hawaii is one of the least populous US states, so presumably covering that few people should be easy to accomplish even with a really risky reserve like 1%. The key here is that they're only required to hold 100% reserve for Hawaii residents, so in practice that'd be comparable to something like a 0.5% reserve overall

As a point of reference, US banks are required to keep a 10% fractional reserve. But that's apparently way more (like at least an order of magnitude more) than any cryptocurrency exchange is willing to meet.

Does this suggest that Coinbase actually has much smaller cash reserves than anyone realizes?
What does your heart tell you?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://twitter.com/Shanehasabeard/status/939117861271982081

https://twitter.com/Shanehasabeard/status/939118647641075712

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Powershift posted:

Did you not see their audit?

mr police man we gave you all the clues

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

speaking of coinbase is anyone even able to get money from them? Is there any exchange that will you more than 10k at a time if you decide to liquidate or is every exchange promising a cheeseburger tuesday or whatever the gently caress

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yes with bitcoin at $17,500 it's incredible how many goons are still convinced that they were smart enough to avoid cryptocurrencies (and the specific most popular one for the past year) appreciating 10x in ~6 months because they would have somehow lost all their money in some major exchange disaster that hasn't happened in the last 8 months

And that you still can't get your money out even if you have made gains

:shrug:

Do you know what a quantum computer is?
Because boy do I have some news for you

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Alan Smithee posted:

speaking of coinbase is anyone even able to get money from them? Is there any exchange that will you more than 10k at a time if you decide to liquidate or is every exchange promising a cheeseburger tuesday or whatever the gently caress

It's a poo poo show to liquidate a large amount at once as a bunch of friends and idiots I know found out recently. They assumed it would be just as easy to sell as it is to buy, eg. just hit sell and it'll be cashed out in milliseconds like a real stock exchange except nope.. it can take a few business days to get the money, and then it's via bank transfer/whatever.

A friend wound up selling about $18,000 "worth" of bitcoins for $12,000 cash outside the exchanges. He figured he would be hit with capital gains with the difference anyway, and that's when he realized that was how people were really making money with btc.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Big K of Justice posted:

It's a poo poo show to liquidate a large amount at once as a bunch of friends and idiots I know found out recently. They assumed it would be just as easy to sell as it is to buy, eg. just hit sell and it'll be cashed out in milliseconds like a real stock exchange except nope.. it can take a few business days to get the money, and then it's via bank transfer/whatever.

A friend wound up selling about $18,000 "worth" of bitcoins for $12,000 cash outside the exchanges. He figured he would be hit with capital gains with the difference anyway, and that's when he realized that was how people were really making money with btc.

well at least he got 12k in hand I assume, and not a bag of amazon giftcards off some guy from localbitcoins

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Big K of Justice posted:

A million times nope here. Your friends are full of poo poo if this is what they're telling you and it only takes a couple days from hitting the sell button (once) then having it show up in your checking account. Also should you decide to keep your US dollars on the exchange instead then it's insured.

People are buying/selling millions worth of BTC on Coinbase/GDAX using single orders.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

wide stance posted:

Also should you decide to keep your US dollars on the exchange instead then it's insured.
lol

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
In related news, turns out the whole Tulip bubble thing is fake history.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/there-never-was-real-tulip-fever-180964915/

If you didn't have an immediate hunch that that sort of thing could never have actually happened in reality then your brain is underdeveloped.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

wide stance posted:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/there-never-was-real-tulip-fever-180964915/

If you didn't have an immediate hunch that that sort of thing could never have actually happened in reality then your brain is underdeveloped.

literally you could only think the article said that if you read the headline and didn't read the text

are you channelling that loser nocoiner hammy

in other news, erik's on the case

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

wide stance posted:

Huh, according to the article, Bitcoin is even more similar to tulips. Especially in that when the bubble bursts, there won't be any lasting consequences for global economy, lmao.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

wide stance posted:

Huh? Guess it's time to buy some bitscoins then.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

wide stance posted:

Quoting this for posterity

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

1 Bitcoin = 19410.01 US Dollar

PISSCOIN IS REAL

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
So how do the exchanges work? Do you post I have 1 bitcoin and am willing to sell for 17500 dollars, and then people who want to buy 0.1 bit coin pop in and at they'll pay 1750, 0.01 for 175 etc until your 1 bit coin has been sold off?
Or do you say "I am selling one bitcoin" which goes into the open market along with the other coins and people can buy out of the pot? If someone wants to buy 0.00000001 btc 1000 times but the transaction fee is 0.0001 btc do you get screwed out of 0.1 btc? Who pays the fee?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Mr Teatime posted:

If I may offer a slightly different experience from "just withdraw it from coinbase lol its easy", I had to set up an account with a mobile banking app/currency exchange and use that to deposit with coinbase with SEPA payments. Withdrawal is the same deal except backwards and it takes bloody ages. So you can deposit with a card and get dinged for the 4% coinbase skims from those payments but as coinbase cant do wire transfers in sterling your only option is to take the hit for the conversion into euros back to your bank. Except coinbase can't do SEPA payments to a whole bunch of UK banks, which explains the intermediate mobile bank I have to use to send and convert money with which comes with its own host of difficulties like limits on how much you can move.

The short version is that at least if you live in the UK coinbase makes it easy to deposit your money while they skim off it but if you weren't careful you would miss that getting it back to a UK is not quite so straightforward, especially the fact that they cant do SEPA payments to some banks. Also your money might get caught in a transfer void with coinbase and you cant touch it until you slog through the massive customer support queue times which at this point are at least a week+

I'm writing a blog post about why people should not expect getting their actualmoney out to be as hassle free as using their bank. May I please post your recountings from this thread?

(The impression I'm getting is that once you've already managed it once, it's straightforward henceforth. Have you had hassle since you started? Is that one random payment held up? Was that your bank or Coinbase? etc.etc)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

wide stance posted:

why could it have never happened in reality, pray tell

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Nessus posted:

why could it have never happened in reality, pray tell

Bc I said so

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ruggan posted:

Bc I said so
OK but can you make it real snide and stretch it out over like six weighty tomes and a lecture series on Youtube

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ilmucche posted:

So how do the exchanges work? Do you post I have 1 bitcoin and am willing to sell for 17500 dollars, and then people who want to buy 0.1 bit coin pop in and at they'll pay 1750, 0.01 for 175 etc until your 1 bit coin has been sold off?
Or do you say "I am selling one bitcoin" which goes into the open market along with the other coins and people can buy out of the pot? If someone wants to buy 0.00000001 btc 1000 times but the transaction fee is 0.0001 btc do you get screwed out of 0.1 btc? Who pays the fee?

An exchange doesn't do its trades on the block chain, so the transaction fee is whatever the exchange decides. On bittrex it's 0.25% paid by both the buyer and seller.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CassandraZara posted:

An exchange doesn't do its trades on the block chain, so the transaction fee is whatever the exchange decides. On bittrex it's 0.25% paid by both the buyer and seller.
What's up with all these wash-trades bots I keep seeing whenever I look at this idiocy on the twitter box?

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nessus posted:

What's up with all these wash-trades bots I keep seeing whenever I look at this idiocy on the twitter box?

I don't know why I'm quoted here but i don't know, it's probably a scam

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

I think it's unfair to characterise bitcoin as being just for sex trafficking and the sale of black market organs back in the days before it blew up as a speculative commodity

it was also useful for unregistered guns and bulk purchases of high quality internet drugs

Edit: I mean before 2011 do you know how hard it was to source a kilo of carfentanil? it just couldn't be done unless you had close personal connections with corrupt chinese industrial chemists, and that's a bit much to ask of the average bluelight forum goer

though tbh you can still get unregistered guns from basically any gun show from what my libertarian ex college roommate tells me

A Spherical Sponge fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 17, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
don't forget for trying to hire FBI agents masquerading as hitmen

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I remember that BloodCoin currency which was supposed to help connect you to P2P blood donation in your community, so when you needed blood people would give you blood! Whatever happened to that?

Blade, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

I remember that BloodCoin currency which was supposed to help connect you to P2P blood donation in your community, so when you needed blood people would give you blood! Whatever happened to that?

Blade, probably.

"The future is hyperbitcoinization"

- From Blade