Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/g8DTAPX.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/ZFLjSqh.mp4

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed

Technically not schadenfreude, but I'll take it.

Schadenfreude Thread: It doesn't always have to end in blood :unsmith:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rasmus posted:

Technically not schadenfreude, but I'll take it.

Schadenfreude Thread: It doesn't always have to end in blood :unsmith:

I figured enough near misses would count.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Not Operator posted:

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Ann Coulter doesn't deserve that.

I'm going to agree with you, but I'm not happy about it

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/RSUB9Ia.gifv

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Not Operator posted:

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Ann Coulter doesn't deserve that.

:wrong:

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Ann Coulter is far, far, far worse than Notch, and it is not even close. She is an absolute bottom-tier trash person who deserves no love or comfort in this life or the next. If Notch can help make sure that’s what she gets, I bless their union.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
https://i.imgur.com/pV66ohY.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/Q8EgGMI.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/soPjxRu.gifv

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

amazing

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/6JxfACe.gifv

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Most of these don't get to me but man, that one with the guy doing the backflip into the water.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/lqSCXRE.mp4

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

"What the gently caress, Richard?"

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Some people just don't know how to act in front of women.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

notenfreude.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nahdenfreude.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Schadendeferred

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Shadeofreude?

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/fyadtales-calmbro/

plug in, baby

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

I feel like you need the full version where just then just gets up and walks off holding his back and everyone else just keeps standing there, mouths agape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4py4S6PAfs

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They're some Australian yobbos who think that smashing tables is such excellent fun that they formed a table smashing club and still post tons of videos online.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The video apparently comes via a Facebook group called The Table Breakers Club. They're pretty much just doing the pro-wrestling spot of jumping off a thing and landing on a guy lying on a table but they can't be bothered sourcing regular wooden trestle tables so they just use whatever's available, with mixed results. THey're also completely untrained (obviously!) so they miss about as often as they hit, they're actually a step down from backyard wrestlers even though I wouldn't have thought that was possible. This article has a few of their fuckup highlights.

Edit: someone uploaded some compilation videos to youtube
[links now broken]

Edit 2: oh hey the video of the guy smashing into the table at the party turns up in the second compilation video

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Samizdata posted:

And people just outright keeps sending them gifts and such, plus the Citizenry keeps buying extra packages so they can be all :smuggo: when the game INEVITABLY comes out and fulfils ALL their dreams and grant the experience to all their friends and family (after making them grovel before the apparent genius of the Citizen).

A friend of mine bought a bunch of us starter ships back when it first announced, and another friend seems to be still vaguely excited about it all. We played with some FPS stuff where you had to wander for ages into a base to find someone to get missions. I suggested it would be awful to have to do that long walk every time you wanted a mission, but he seemed to love the idea. A few guys also thought it would be great to have multiple players in a ship and I wondered aloud what those players would be doing if they aren't flying it. "Fixing stuff", "planning routes" - oh yeah, that all sounds like a real blast. Some lovely mini-game to while away your time while one person flies the ship.
I hope it doesn't come out so I don't feel compelled to play with them and "press E to repair engine".

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gromit posted:

A friend of mine bought a bunch of us starter ships back when it first announced, and another friend seems to be still vaguely excited about it all. We played with some FPS stuff where you had to wander for ages into a base to find someone to get missions. I suggested it would be awful to have to do that long walk every time you wanted a mission, but he seemed to love the idea. A few guys also thought it would be great to have multiple players in a ship and I wondered aloud what those players would be doing if they aren't flying it. "Fixing stuff", "planning routes" - oh yeah, that all sounds like a real blast. Some lovely mini-game to while away your time while one person flies the ship.
I hope it doesn't come out so I don't feel compelled to play with them and "press E to repair engine".

We must go deeper (i think thats the name of the game) is sort of like that. 4 people on a submarine. 1 drives, 1 sets power, 1 gunner, 1 guy arms the torpedos. Then once you get boarded you might have 2 guys kill stuff in ship while the other 2 try to kill the whale or whatever it is that is still attacking.The of course repair the hull so you dont all drown.

My son watches youtubers play it. It seems to be fun. So it is possible.

Not that SC will ever manage it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In Team Fortress 2 and Tribes I always like playing the engineer roles where you run around building defenses and repairing guns. It can be done well.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Meskhenet posted:

We must go deeper (i think thats the name of the game) is sort of like that. 4 people on a submarine. 1 drives, 1 sets power, 1 gunner, 1 guy arms the torpedos. Then once you get boarded you might have 2 guys kill stuff in ship while the other 2 try to kill the whale or whatever it is that is still attacking.The of course repair the hull so you dont all drown.

But with SC, you're buying it to fly ships and shoot stuff. Who's picking this up because they want to be the best guy in their clan at pressing H to fix the hyperdrive?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wanna get it so I can be the guy who does not even press H to fix the hyperdrive

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Gromit posted:

But with SC, you're buying it to fly ships and shoot stuff. Who's picking this up because they want to be the best guy in their clan at pressing H to fix the hyperdrive?

You do realize about 100% of backers are on the spectrum?

e: And I don't mean they're busy playing Treasure Island Dizzy.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247350/Artemis_Spaceship_Bridge_Simulator/ is neat too but a ton more basic looking.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think anyone paid $5000 for No Man's Sky.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/7/29/12327786/no-mans-sky-early-copy-leak-gameplay-spoilers

I mean it's no 5 grand but it's still way too much

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Jerry Cotton posted:

You do realize about 100% of backers are on the spectrum?

e: And I don't mean they're busy playing Treasure Island Dizzy.

I like this post

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If you haven't been following the "Mad Mike Hughes" flat earth rocket launch thread in GBS you'll be missing some remarkable schadenfreude. This guy is extraordinarily incompetent at everything he does and constantly fucks up in new and unexpected ways. Let's watch as Mike and his support crew attempt to move his steam powered rocket from the launch RV (that's right, I said "steam powered rocket" and "launch RV") to a trailer, a relatively simple process.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I thought he backed out of that, or is he back in the game? I'd like to watch the man instantly boil himself in steam accident.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rough Lobster posted:

I thought he backed out of that, or is he back in the game? I'd like to watch the man instantly boil himself in steam accident.

He initially delayed the launch because of technical difficulties (the RV which he bought off Craiglist and remodelled as a launch vehicle broke down in his driveway) and then when he got to the launch site and started setting up the Bureau of Land Management turned up and went "Uh hey all your stuff is on our property and there's no loving way we're letting you do this dumbass stunt here so gently caress off somewhere else." So then Mike decided to do the stunt on a friend's private property so they packed everything up and hauled it over there and started setting up again and a week later they were almost ready to launch when the Bureau guys turned up again and went "Heyyy you're still on our property, you're 150 feet short of your friend's land so gently caress off" so Mike and his crew packed it all up again and tried to move 200' over but the ground was too sandy for his RV to drive over it so they gave up and decided to go back to the original site and try and talk the Bureau into letting them launch there. (Spoiler: the Bureau is going to say no again.) While they were driving back the rocket fell off the back of the RV and got damaged so Mike decided to take it home.

It looks like he's going to try and do the launch on Super Bowl Sunday now.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He initially delayed the launch because of technical difficulties (the RV which he bought off Craiglist and remodelled as a launch vehicle broke down in his driveway) and then when he got to the launch site and started setting up the Bureau of Land Management turned up and went "Uh hey all your stuff is on our property and there's no loving way we're letting you do this dumbass stunt here so gently caress off somewhere else." So then Mike decided to do the stunt on a friend's private property so they packed everything up and hauled it over there and started setting up again and a week later they were almost ready to launch when the Bureau guys turned up again and went "Heyyy you're still on our property, you're 150 feet short of your friend's land so gently caress off" so Mike and his crew packed it all up again and tried to move 200' over but the ground was too sandy for his RV to drive over it so they gave up and decided to go back to the original site and try and talk the Bureau into letting them launch there. (Spoiler: the Bureau is going to say no again.) While they were driving back the rocket fell off the back of the RV and got damaged so Mike decided to take it home.

It looks like he's going to try and do the launch on Super Bowl Sunday now.

Don't stop I'm almost there.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Gromit posted:

I see that you are not SCs target audience. The point isn't to fly around and shoot poo poo otherwise they'd just go play freelancer. The point is to feel like your piloting your very own starship. To command or be part of a crew thats exploring the deepest recesses of space. Basically people who want to be in star trek, and the maintenance and minutiae of working a starship gives the feeling of being part of something greater than themselves alone.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Poldarn posted:

Don't stop I'm almost there.

He's also a SovCit and tried to lodge legal papers claiming he owns OJ Simpson

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
No surprise SovCits want to own black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I mean, I can find entertainment in games where I'm doing non-action stuff to assist other people. I don't give a poo poo in single player, but I enjoy playing games with other people even if I'm not the one making kills. That's why Artemis is fun for people other than the one pulling the trigger to blow up other ships.

But it's really gotta be more than "Press E to fix this". Space Station 13 is a really good example because a small minority of the jobs actually involve violence or action-packed adventures on a regular basis and a lot of them are just doing benign things like making medicine to supply the Medbay or performing routine repairs, but there's a lot of complexity to the jobs that let you experiment with stuff and feel a sense of accomplishment when you figure out the atmosphere system pumping through the station and learn how you can manipulate it. And occasionally you end up playing out a sci-fi action or horror movie when poo poo gets real.

Star Citizen could maybe be good if it was like a 3D Space Station 13. Even then, it would actually need to release a game for that to happen.