Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ratatozsk- Thanks, sorry I didn't realize you were still catching up. I look forward to what you can post in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Ok, the end of Sacrifice at Ruanon is really weird. Lone Wolf, Qinifer, Viveka, and the latest Kai recruit from the King’s Guard Petra all infiltrate the Temple Deep and wreck Barraka’s schemes. All good, mostly in line with Chasm of Doom. Then there’s this bizarre aside written from Dever’s perspective except in a weird future Magnamund several hundred years after the events of the novel. It seems like it’s basically the same as late 80’s England, with tape recorders, bottled beer, and plastic Kai Swords for kids, just set in Ruanon and Toran and Maaken instead of Falmouth and Exeter. He writes that segment as a historian recording the tale of Lone Wolf and in this particular instance visits a hermit living in the cliff of Maaken, a mysterious semi-mystical creature named Sylas. There’s also a weird aside in the middle of the book written as instructions for performing your own scrying at home, followed by scenes of various different characters across the novel viewed by...Dever/the guildmaster/the reader/WTF??? Whatever, while they gently caress with tenses in those scenes they do flesh out the fight between Vashna and Ulnar I️, so that’s kinda cool. Plus it’s hard to tell how much is truly Dever and how much is Grant putting his own spin on things.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Ratatozsk posted:

Ok, the end of Sacrifice at Ruanon is really weird. Lone Wolf, Qinifer, Viveka, and the latest Kai recruit from the King’s Guard Petra all infiltrate the Temple Deep and wreck Barraka’s schemes. All good, mostly in line with Chasm of Doom. Then there’s this bizarre aside written from Dever’s perspective except in a weird future Magnamund several hundred years after the events of the novel. It seems like it’s basically the same as late 80’s England, with tape recorders, bottled beer, and plastic Kai Swords for kids, just set in Ruanon and Toran and Maaken instead of Falmouth and Exeter. He writes that segment as a historian recording the tale of Lone Wolf and in this particular instance visits a hermit living in the cliff of Maaken, a mysterious semi-mystical creature named Sylas. There’s also a weird aside in the middle of the book written as instructions for performing your own scrying at home, followed by scenes of various different characters across the novel viewed by...Dever/the guildmaster/the reader/WTF??? Whatever, while they gently caress with tenses in those scenes they do flesh out the fight between Vashna and Ulnar I️, so that’s kinda cool. Plus it’s hard to tell how much is truly Dever and how much is Grant putting his own spin on things.

FWIW I'm pretty sure that all got explicitly retconned and Joe Dever's intention was that Magnamund would never have a modern-day type future.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jackard posted:

This seems like the one time not to use a bow. Block his unlimited power!
The Sommerswerd can do that!

The Kingdoms of Terror posted:

You spring aside just in time to avoid the crackling charge, but no sooner has it shot past you than another is sent on its way.

You shudder as the Sommerswerd drinks raw power from the leader’s golden rod. His fury turns to fear as you whirl it around your head and hurl the bolt of energy back at his face. There is a tremendous roar as the man disintegrates, consumed in a ball of white flame. However, as you move forwards, you see that each hooded man has a golden rod. They raise them in unison, pooling their collective power to try to destroy your sword.
But can it stop all of them at once? Do we try it or run away?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Try it. We are wielding the Sword of the Sun!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I held aloft my magical sword and said: "By the power of Summerlund...!"

Mikl fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 15, 2017

Kangra
May 7, 2012

We raise our sword and shout, "BEWARE! IF YOU EXPOSE YOUR ROD TO ME I SHALL DRINK ITS RAW POWER!"

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

As much as we'd like to be a Jedi, I don;t think we can block multiple lasers aimed at us.

GTFO.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kangra posted:

We raise our sword and shout, "BEWARE! IF YOU EXPOSE YOUR ROD TO ME I SHALL DRINK ITS RAW POWER!"

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Tiggum posted:

Nope. Maybe you're thinking of a different innkeeper? The one in the North Star Tavern could well have a daughter, but she's not mentioned in the book. There's a serving girl who'll save you from being murdered by an arm-wrestling sailor, but nothing to indicate that she's related to the innkeeper.

I seem to recall that at least in the translation she was reported as the daughter of the innkeeper. Sometimes the translators add something.

Let's try with the Sommerswerd.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Sword!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

We have already died twice in this book so far, after all.

You duck and weave as you race through the undergrowth. A charge of crackling power strikes a branch above your head; it narrowly misses you as it falls in a blazing heap by your side. You sidestep in time to avoid another charge which tears a hole in a tree trunk large enough to rest your head. You reach your horse and take off along the highway at a gallop, thankful to be alive. You have witnessed a secret ritual of the Cener Druids and survived the encounter—few can boast as much!

Night has fallen by the time you reach the river town of Soren, and the sky is clear and full of stars that sparkle with icy splendour. You ride the main street towards the quay where a score of river ships lie docked at the town. Their signal lamps, shimmering red and green from the mast-tops, reflect upon the cold, dark waters of the River Storn.

A board standing beside the gangplank to a large transport caravel catches your eye. On it are chalked the prices of passage to three destinations.
  • LUYEN—10 Gold Crowns
  • RHEM—15 Gold Crowns
  • EULA—20 Gold Crowns
A fourth destination—Tekaro—has been crossed out and scribbled beside it is: ‘Cancelled due to war’.
Do we buy a ticket to Luyen, to Rhem, or to End User Licence Agreement Eula, or do we buy no ticket at all?

We have 37 Gold Crowns and a map of the Stornlands.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I didn't realize the Cener Druids cameoed so early! :)

No Ticket. Let's stay off the boat if we can. Our last boat ride didn't go so well IIRC.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Well we are headed to Tekaro, I'd say pay the money for Rhem or Eula.

Eula is closer, but maybe a little too close if Tekaro is under siege?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 16, 2017

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

No ticket. We can ninja our way on board any ship.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

What we should do is, is buy a ticket to Luyen so we can get on the boat, then hide somewhere until we get all the way down the river.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Boats are for dumb losers.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Hey all, wanted to drop a link here (Tiggum approved). I'm starting up an LP of the Prequel and Conclusion to The Way of the Tiger. Long and short it was a very well written ninja-centric CYOA that ended on a spectacular cliffhanger. I ran the original series a few years back (requires archives), but they released two more books in the series that I'll be sharing. We're in the process of picking skills, so mosey on over here to voice your thoughts on exactly how we will be flipping out and/or killing people.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Isn't there a merc captain around here? No ticket.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

To steal an (unfunny) joke from myself like six years in the past: agree to the EULA.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Materant posted:

To steal an (unfunny) joke from myself like six years in the past: agree to the EULA.
We now have 17 Gold Crowns.

A jovial man, with long strands of hair hanging down from the point of his chin, lies in a hammock suspended at the end of the gangplank. One eye pops open as you walk onto the deck and, as quick as a flash, he jumps down and produces a fistful of tickets from his breast pocket.

‘Welcome aboard the Kazonara,’ he says excitedly, ‘the best riverboat that ever sailed the Storn.’ You glance back at the board and note the prices: 10 Gold Crowns to Luyen, 15 to Rhem and 20 to Eula.

‘We leave at midnight, sir, so’s you best be a’boarding your horse in the hold without delay.’ Once you have decided which Ticket you wish to buy, pay the man and erase the Gold Crowns from your Action Chart. Mark the Ticket as a Special Item that you keep in your pocket.

The hold of the riverboat is full of horses: not the slow carthorses favoured by merchants but strong and sturdy mounts that carry many scars of battle upon their muscular flanks. You unsaddle your mare, load her manger with feed, and then make your way back on deck.

As you emerge from the hold, a voice calls out to you and you raise your weary eyes. It is the captain—the mercenary leader you ran across at the Inn of the Crossed Swords.

‘Well met, my friend,’ he cries and slaps you enthusiastically on the shoulder. ‘So you changed your mind! You have come to join my band of fearless fighters.’ Before you have a chance to answer, the captain and his men, who are all considerably the worse for drink, stumble past on a quest of the utmost importance—the search for the wine store. You are far too tired and weary to follow—the thought of your cabin bed and a good night’s sleep is all that interests you.

With your horse stabled safely in the hold of the Kazonara, all that remains for you to do is find your cabin. This proves to be a tiny room at the bow, but at least it has a comfortable bunk and you fall asleep as soon as your head touches the feather pillow.

You wake an hour after dawn and peer out of the circular porthole at the shadowy river bank. Drizzle obscures all detail and the sky is tinged with grey. As day approaches, the river mist grows thicker and whiter and you go up on deck. The captain stands alone at the rail, the shoulders of his leather cloak soaked by the cold drizzle. He nods a welcome and points to the Cener Mountains now hidden in the mist.

‘This foul weather robs us of landmarks, but by my reckoning we should be in Luyen by noon.’ You stare through the grey, damp air and pull your cloak closely around your shoulders.

Suddenly, there is a tremendous jolt and you are thrown head-first against the rail (lose 2 ENDURANCE points). The screech of twisting metal and splintering wood tears through the silence as the Kazonara shudders and dips violently. The boat has hit a boom—a line of logs chained together across the river.

Endurance: 30/32.

‘Hell’s teeth!’ cries the captain. ‘Have we run aground?’

As the words leave his lips, a grapnel and rope drop from the sky and bite into the ship’s rail. More follow and, through the mist, you can make out the shapes of longboats approaching.

‘River pirates!’ shouts the helmsman. ‘Prepare to repel boarders.’

Further along the deck, one of the captain’s men is felled by a thrown knife. His comrades rush to his aid, but by now the river pirates are pouring over the side and he is trampled underfoot.

‘Battle order!’ bellows the captain and immediately his men respond, linking shields and holding their ground. A swarm of grim-faced pirates are boarding close by. One of their number, a lean man with only one ear and a split nose, smiles at you with anticipation, his lips drawn back from his teeth and his eyes wide with excitement. He is obviously relishing the thought of ending your life.

Healing: +1 EP (31/32).
We have a bow. Do we wish to use it? If not, do we fight or flee?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We are obviously relishing the thought of using our bow

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
We have a bow. We wish to use it!.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Our friend ultimately died because of our dedication to having this bow and it would dishonor his memory (and make us a callous rear end in a top hat) if we did not Wish To Use It

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Twing twang!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

achtungnight posted:

Twing twang!

Pew pew!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Use the Bow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The riverboat is still rocking violently from the collision, throwing you off balance. You raise an Arrow, take aim at the man’s chest, and try to anticipate the shift of the deck as you prepare to fire.

Healing: +1 EP (32/32).
We need a 6 or higher to hit. We rolled 15.

He screams and falls with the Arrow embedded so deeply into his chest that only its feathered flights can be seen. His comrades freeze in their tracks, their eyes wide with fear. As you move forward they scatter and run.

Leaping over the dead bodies, you fight your way across the deck to where the captain is in combat with five pirates. While he attacks with a longsword in his right hand, he parries enemy cutlasses with a bronze sleeve-shield that encases his left forearm. He fights with cool determination, making light work of the battle-clumsy pirates. Then a war-horn heralds the arrival of a new and formidable wave of attackers. You anticipate the captain’s danger and rush to protect his back from the snarling, mad-eyed pirate berserkers.

Pirate Berserkers: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 30

Due to their state of battle-frenzy, the pirate berserkers are immune to Mindblast, but not Psi-surge.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 32
Pirate Berserkers: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 30
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 3
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 30
Pirate Berserkers: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 19

We roll: 9
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 31 ENDURANCE 30
Pirate Berserkers: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 0

The tide of battle has turned in your favour. The pirates came in search of easy plunder, but your furious resistance has broken their nerve. They flee from the decks, scrambling into the longboats to escape. The captain follows them, hewing at them with his sword. He cuts his way to the ship’s rail and grabs the pirate leader by the neck. He rams the man’s head against the mainmast, once, twice, three times, with a rage that splits the timber and the pirate’s leather-clad skull.

‘Ha!’ he cries gleefully. ‘I’ve always said the Deldenians have no head for a fight!’

The battle ends as swiftly as it began, with the surviving pirates melting away like phantoms into the fog. There are few casualties amongst the mercenaries, but the boat’s crew have been decimated. The pirate berserkers trapped them below decks and slaughtered them—only one escaped their murderous blades.

The captain takes command, marshalling repairs and overseeing the burial of the dead. As the bodies sink beneath the dark waters, the Kazonara emerges from the mist to the welcoming sight of Luyen.

Healing: +1 EP (31/32).

Luyen, the city of flowers and wine, greets you, its towers, timbered houses, and fortified perimeter walls silhouetted against the sky. It lies in the shadow of the Ceners, at a dangerous bend where the fast-flowing Storn undercuts the sheer slopes of Mount Prindar.

The captain docks at the Luyen quay for provisions, and as his men busy themselves with a myriad of duties and tasks, you accompany him on a visit to the Luyen apothecary.

The entrance to this famed establishment is marked by a huge stone jar, creaking on its chains. The shop is vast, and full of things that stir your curiosity. Towers of containered liquids, mountains of coarse-grained powders, and forests of roots and herbs crowd the bleached wooden shelves. The captain seeks medicines of strength and healing in readiness for the battle ahead, and the herbmaster’s eyes widen with delight when he reads the captain’s list—they are his most expensive preparations.

Healing: +1 EP (32/32).
Shall we take a look at the potions available, or wander down the street and see what else this town has to offer?

We have four arrows remaining. With the silver bow and Weaponmastery it is literally impossible to miss that shot.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Score more drugs.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Winners do drugs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Several of the smaller stoppered glass jars contain potions that could be of use to you on your quest. As you peer along the shelves you look carefully at their labels:
  • Potion of Laumspur (restores 4 ENDURANCE points per dose)—5 Gold Crowns
  • Potion of Gallowbrush (induces sleep for 1–2 hours per dose)—2 Gold Crowns
  • Rendalim’s Elixir (restores 6 ENDURANCE points per dose)—7 Gold Crowns
  • Potion of Alether (increases COMBAT SKILL by 2 for the duration of one combat)—4 Gold Crowns
  • Graveweed Concentrate (causes death if swallowed)—4 Gold Crowns
You may purchase any of the above potions, all of which are Backpack Items.
  1. What, if anything, will we buy?
  2. Should we look at some other shops, or just wait for the captain?

We have 17 Gold Crowns and the following items in our backpack:
  1. Alether Berries (+2 CS)
  2. Alether Berries (+2 CS)
  3. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  4. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  5. Potion of Laumspur (+5 EP)
  6. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  7. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  8. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Drop a Laumspur for one Alether, making note to stash our drugs in the monastery after this book.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I think we are all full on drugs :v:

Dont buy anything

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

anakha posted:

Drop a Laumspur for one Alether

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

achtungnight posted:

I didn't realize the Cener Druids cameoed so early! :)
Yes, they do. That whole area is full of assholes.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
We don't need more Alether, we're practically unkillable even without it, and we have five! Let's buy the potions that will unlock actually new options:
Drop two of our Alethers, buy one Gallowbrush and one Graveweed.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The_White_Crane posted:

Let's buy the potions that will unlock actually new options:

:lol:

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

My idea: drop one Alether and pick up Rendalim’s Elixir; in has always been one of my favorite.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Alether Berries are less useful than potions, drop one for Rendalim's Elixir.

quote:

A handful of Alether Berries costs 3 Gold Crowns. If you swallow them before a fight, they will increase your COMBAT SKILL by 2 points for the duration of the fight. You may purchase up to 3 handfuls of Alether Berries. Each handful counts as one Backpack Item, but you cannot swallow more than one handful during any one combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Jackard posted:

Alether Berries are less useful than potions, drop one for Rendalim's Elixir.

Doesn't say anything about using an Alether potion as a chaser to the berries. :colbert: