Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

. I can see 2020 ending in a Democratic victory followed by white riots in deep-red states.

Not scared an inch by this vision; White riots in the form of old white fucks driving their Escalades in procession with civil war era flags hanging from their window [e: and young whites marching around in plastic roman armor] is not a threat to our way of life, especially if they martyr someone again.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

DeathChicken posted:

The Olds of the base may be about to die, but there are still plenty of tiki torch wavers and guys ready to drown themselves in cow manure to own the libs to appease

We'll make douse kerosene and light themselves on fire by the end of the year.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Crabtree posted:

From what, their rascal scooters and deathbeds now that their medicaid is going away? Fox Isn't RWM enough anymore.

So that they grab their guns and shout down and attempt to intimidate all the sane people.

Also there are plenty of lovely young republican CEO wannabes who watch it on TV and alt-rights who still watch it via streams believe it or not. I feel like it's really dangerous to keep framing GOP supporters are harmless/decrepit old people, when they have a decent of Gen X supporters along with the young and so goddamn crazy alt-right bastards. Sure they're trying to drag farther to the right but they still vote GOP.

the black husserl posted:

There is no way the mayor of ATL isn't going to be a 100% corrupt grifter, black woman democrat has nothing to do with it. The mayor of ATL will always be a corrupt grifter.

Source: I watched The Wire

I get really depressed when people don't know the difference between Atlanta/Baltimore/Detroit other than "lots of black people"

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

He's going to be the first to write a tweet and that's it. That's all it is. He did his poo poo, stop bothering him, he's playing golf.

"This year's State of the Union is New York where I got such a huge win over #CrookedHillary and the #FakeNews in my historic landslide election victory. #MAGA"

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

There is no way Trump turns down the chance to deliver his highest profile speech as President, covered by world news and watched by much of the nation, with the disgusting spectacle of the GOP giving him a blowjob the whole time. He absolutely lives for poo poo like this.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Zwabu posted:

There is no way Trump turns down the chance to deliver his highest profile speech as President, covered by world news and watched by much of the nation, with the disgusting spectacle of the GOP giving him a blowjob the whole time. He absolutely lives for poo poo like this.

Absolutely. This sort of stuff is the only thing about the job he actually enjoys.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

i am harry posted:

Not scared an inch by this vision; White riots in the form of old white fucks driving their Escalades in procession with civil war era flags hanging from their window [e: and young whites marching around in plastic roman armor] is not a threat to our way of life, especially if they martyr someone again.

So as someone who had friends in Charlottesville, I'm gonna politely disagree and ask you not to root for that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Koalas March posted:

So that they grab their guns and shout down and attempt to intimidate all the sane people.

Also there are plenty of lovely young republican CEO wannabes who watch it on TV and alt-rights who still watch it via streams believe it or not. I feel like it's really dangerous to keep framing GOP supporters are harmless/decrepit old people, when they have a decent of Gen X supporters along with the young and so goddamn crazy alt-right bastards. Sure they're trying to drag farther to the right but they still vote GOP.

I am not nor will ever say that these albino creatures are not hateful evil things, I'm just saying Fox is in competition with brietbart, Info Wars and Most Importantly One America News, to be the sole source of vitriol for these people to get marching orders from. Old people tend to favor Fox right now, but that could change if they aren't pro-nazi enough.

i am harry posted:

I will declare that we will treat the KKK and Alt-Right like ISIS and immediately drone strike their country kitchens, their white pride marches and their civil war memorials.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Koalas March posted:

I get really depressed when people don't know the difference between Atlanta/Baltimore/Detroit other than "lots of black people"

Atlanta is white as hell now.

They're tearing down every single building they can to put up more Alexa Luxury 215 @ Peachtree.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Chinese Gordon posted:

His approval rating is currently c35%. I'd say that will drop into the high 20s if and when Mueller drops hard evidence that crimes have been committed. Of those diehards, most are elderly; the average age of a Fox viewer is like 70. Sure, you've got the Alt-Right, but the vast majority of those guys are pasty internet memelords who may have guns but certainly don't have the will to use them. There will not be any sort of organised uprising.

This isn't to say that there won't be isolated incidents. I think that another Charlottesville is actually pretty likely under this scenario. But while that would be individually tragic, it will not in any way undermine the stability of the United States Government.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

So as someone who had friends in Charlottesville, I'm gonna politely disagree and ask you not to root for that.

Yeah I've got friends in Charlottesville too. I'm not rooting for anything, just stating a fact.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Atlanta is white as hell now.

They're tearing down every single building they can to put up more Alexa Luxury 215 @ Peachtree.

Yeah but a lot of people aren't or don't pay attention to that and still think of it as a black city.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zwabu posted:

I just wonder which drugs are they gonna pump him full of to try and get him through the whole thing.

No. Shut the gently caress up. A Coup d'etat is violent as poo poo and more often than not ends with a lot of people getting their brains on detail. That's not happening. Isn't Disney supposed to be telling them to shut the gently caress up about poo poo like this or was Fox News not part of the Fox acquisition?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Murdoch got 52 billion in the Fox sale which I assume is to pump Fox News back up to combat Breitbart and the other rising fringe elements on the right

also I'm so loving tired of media outlets trying to humanize Trump voters in these tiny 3000 person towns, it's the same story from Ohio to Kentucky to Montana! there's no new territory to tread here, focus on something else like the mobilization of minorities to build Democrat infrastructure in Alabama or the causes of the loving sweep in Virginia

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 17, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

Anyone who believes that all republicans are old people must not live in the south, is all I can think. There's plenty of shitheaded young white people out there MAGA-ing it up. It's just as easy, if not easier, to get indoctrinated into such a worldview now as it ever was. I had a 16 year old clarinet student who wore a 'FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS VOTE DEMOCRAT' shirt to his lessons with me more than once. You think that kid knew what the gently caress he was talking about? Hell no he didn't. He wound up going to the same university where I'm finishing my DMA, and five years later he still posts memes and poo poo in support of people like Ted Cruz. Who was ever going to argue with him and change his mind? His peers? Fat chance. Me? Hell nah, I'm not talking about politics to students and undergrads, that's how you get fired. His parents? :lol:

most fox news viewers are definitely old, and the GOP skews old, but there's lots of young people too.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don't see another Charolletsville happening because that was back when the Nazis weren't afraid to show their faces in public. They were emboldened from the early months of Trump and mobilized about 500 people from across the country and were faced by a group smaller than them. Now they are confronted by tens of thousands of counterprotestors every time any of them sticks their head above ground.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Wark Say posted:

I just wonder which drugs are they gonna pump him full of to try and get him through the whole thing.

No. Shut the gently caress up. A Coup d'etat is violent as poo poo and more often than not ends with a lot of people getting their brains on detail. That's not happening. Isn't Disney supposed to be telling them to shut the gently caress up about poo poo like this or was Fox News not part of the Fox acquisition?

It was like the only part that wasn't in the acquisition.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Fox News, and Fox Sports were not part of the acquisition. They're their own thing now.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Whatever happens, happens.

Like the dudebro lion mansplained to the lady lion: "Sometimes, bad things happen and there's nothing you can do about it, so why worry?"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Throwing Turtles posted:

That and Fox Sports, yeah.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Koalas March posted:

Fox News, and Fox Sports were not part of the acquisition. They're their own thing now.

The real hope is that without the rest of Fox's more profitable stuff backing them up, they might wither.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy poo poo he actually did a thing.

It was probably RNC money.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Chinese Gordon posted:

His approval rating is currently c35%. I'd say that will drop into the high 20s if and when Mueller drops hard evidence that crimes have been committed. Of those diehards, most are elderly; the average age of a Fox viewer is like 70. Sure, you've got the Alt-Right, but the vast majority of those guys are pasty internet memelords who may have guns but certainly don't have the will to use them. There will not be any sort of organised uprising.

Or maybe there will be and we can knock out two birds with one stone.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Carlosologist posted:

Murdoch got 52 billion in the Fox sale which I assume is to pump Fox News back up to combat Breitbart and the other rising fringe elements on the right
Murdoch's like 80 years old, he sold the company because he wants to give the money to his children and he apparently also felt that the time was right to get out of the business. Fox News is old media at this point. The number of people who regularly watch cable news is a very insignificant part of the population.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

There's plenty of shitheaded young white people out there MAGA-ing it up. It's just as easy, if not easier, to get indoctrinated into such a worldview now as it ever was. I had a 16 year old clarinet student

Yes but how many of your students didn't do that? I'd wager a much larger number. I'd also argue that it was much easier to be a racist white person in the 1950s small town shithole than it is now because everything in the world told you doing that was okay.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't see another Charolletsville happening because that was back when the Nazis weren't afraid to show their faces in public. They were emboldened from the early months of Trump and mobilized about 500 people from across the country and were faced by a group smaller than them. Now they are confronted by tens of thousands of counterprotestors every time any of them sticks their head above ground.

New thing on the alt-right is claiming that McVeigh was a deep state agent paid by the CIA.

They actually don't have much of a taste for real-life violence; that would require leaving their basements. Isolated incidents by lone crazies? Sure, but that's always been a thing. We need to have better mental health care systems in this country to avoid those (see: the San Ysidro McDonald's shooting which literally could have entirely been prevented.) An organized uprising? Better make sure it doesn't coincide with the time period when the latest ep of My Little Pony airs.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Throwing Turtles posted:

They also didn't get fox sports or the fox broadcast network.

It's like all they wanted was the xmen.

Watch out Sony, you're next.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I don’t think any body’s been saying there won’t be republicans in 20-30 years because all the olds will be dead.

There just won’t be enough of them to win elections outside of certain areas (probably the south).

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The best thing would be if Obama, Carter, Clinton, George Bush Jr all got full health work ups and released them the same day Trump does.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Koalas March posted:

I'm from ATL. Are you trying to tell me I didn't grow up eating lake trout and pit beef :colbert:

(yall, it was a joke. the joke is that ATL's democratic party is really corrupt and neoliberal, in an extremely similar manner to the way the democratic corruption/neoliberalism is depicted in the award winning hbo series "the wire")

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

Yes but how many of your students didn't do that? I'd wager a much larger number. I'd also argue that it was much easier to be a racist white person in the 1950s small town shithole than it is now because everything in the world told you doing that was okay.

Well, he was the only one that was outward about it, but the families that had enough money to hire a private clarinet teacher in Louisiana/Mississippi also, unfortunately, tend to be white and republican. I'm actually struggling to think of a private student I had whose family didn't fall into this category; the only ones I can think of were students through the university I was teaching at.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Koalas March posted:

Coca Cola, The Wire, Robocop

What more is there to know really?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

Huh. Like, I sorta understand not grabbing Fox News ("don't touch the poop!" and all that jazz), but I'd think Fox Sports would've been a "sure thing". Serves how little I know.

Serfer posted:

So, no Simpsons/Family Guy and such?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Serfer posted:

Didn't Sony already give Disney/Marvel back rights to Spider-man & FF? There might be a kickback, but Marvel films is making new Spider-man stuff. At this point, they pay Sony a little cash a make a boatload with the now unified film rights.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't see another Charolletsville happening because that was back when the Nazis weren't afraid to show their faces in public. They were emboldened from the early months of Trump and mobilized about 500 people from across the country and were faced by a group smaller than them.

There were way more protestors in Cville than nazis. Roughly double.

E: unless you mean the torchlight thing at UVA the night before.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 17, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So this is a thing

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sen-john-mccain-returns-to-arizona-will-miss-vote-on-gop-tax-bill/

quote:

McCain left Washington Sunday and is heading back to his home state to spend the holidays with his family. He will not be on hand for the final vote on the GOP tax passage expected for early this week. It is unclear when McCain might return to Washington.

Will this matter?

quote:

Despite a razor-thin margin needed to pass the measure, McCain's presence will not likely be the determining factor in the vote. Two critical senators -- Bob Corker of Tennessee and Marco Rubio of Florida -- announced their support for the bill last week after initially saying they would oppose earlier versions.

lmao "critical senator Marco Rubio"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The Phlegmatist posted:

New thing on the alt-right is claiming that McVeigh was a deep state agent paid by the CIA.

They actually don't have much of a taste for real-life violence; that would require leaving their basements. Isolated incidents by lone crazies? Sure, but that's always been a thing. We need to have better mental health care systems in this country to avoid those (see: the San Ysidro McDonald's shooting which literally could have entirely been prevented.) An organized uprising? Better make sure it doesn't coincide with the time period when the latest ep of My Little Pony airs.

I sort of disagree. When basement dwellers go outside and have a mob they escalate till some moron takes the lulz to far. Pretty sure Prester Jane has written something on this.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zwabu posted:

There was a little tiny period of time, either right around the nomination, or right after the inauguration, I can't remember which (I think it was right after inauguration) where Fox actually had a little bit of negative coverage of Trump.

I think after the ouster and then death of Ailes, loss of people like O'Reilly, Murdoch Juniors in control, they were tentatively trying a new look considering they couldn't stick with their old look forever and stay viable with the demographics of viewership going the direction they are going over time (with theirs headed straight into the grave).

The pushback from the majority of their viewership was so strong that they basically threw up their hands and said "welp guess we gotta go full in on Trump".

I'm still a bit astounded by the degree. They are going to Baghdad Bob this poo poo straight into the ground, or, they hope, be the state news covering our executions on live TV.

I honestly feel the main thing for Fox going all in the far right wing of the party was propping up Sean, who is clearly more entangled with Trump than anyone. Hannity is their last big name to draw crowds, and they even brought in Carlson, Watters, and Ingram to supplement that. It is why even after Hannity's dumb poo poo move of pissing on their own sponsors, by telling his viewers to BOYCOTT THEM, they stick with him.

Plus I think Murdoch Jr. Is waiting for dad to piss off to hell to rebrand. After he kicks the bucket I can see the hardcore morons out.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Third or fourth most powerful owner in the NFL, likely plantation enthusiast Jerry Richardson is being investigated for sexual misconduct and racist remarks.

It's uh not good.

https://www.si.com/jerry-richardson-carolina-panthers-settlements-workplace-misconduct-sexual-harassment-racial-slur

quote:

he’d offer comment, drawing from a store of one-liners he’d recycle each week. Among those in heaviest rotation: Show me how you wiggle to get those jeans up. I bet you had to lay down on your bed to fit into those jeans. Did you step into those jeans or did you have to jump into them?

quote:

He would notice when their nails were not up to his standards, and pay for them to get manicures. Multiple female employees recalled to SI that Richardson asked them if he could personally shave their legs.

quote:

He would invite female employees out to lunch, and in keeping with his reputation as a self-styled gentleman, he would open the car door for his guests. Once they were seated, however, he would insist on fastening their seatbelt for them, reaching across their lap and brushing his hand across their breasts before putting the belt in the clasp.

quote:

After drafting Newton in 2011, Richardson memorably asked the player, “Did you get crazy after the draft and go out and get any tattoos or piercings? Do I have to check you for anything?” Earlier this year, some Panthers expressed frustration when Richardson indicated that players addressing social issues could be subject to punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh my god

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/942475067224571904

• Locked thread