Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dramatika posted:

I'm no expert, but I think you may have a bad time doing this as your first character. There's nothing wrong with CI, or essence drain, (they are both fun and strong) but levelling ES is really rough, especially if you aren't familiar with the encounters. I'd probably go life or at least hybrid, and then in act 10, once you get a solid ES chest and helmet, refunding your life nodes, picking up CI, and repathing to some ES nodes at that point - some time in the late 60s. The game throws a ton of respec points your way throughout the campaign, so it's not really cost prohibitive as long as you know the respec is coming.

Thanks for the advice. I think I can still pull off a pretty good ES/Life hybrid with what I have on my second roll.

I'll just fill out the heart and soul tree at the start and go up towards chaos/dot damage through the health/mana cluster instead of the ES cluster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

euphronius posted:

Ah I guess reading up on it melee splash works just as well.

Melee splash works better most of the time but if you can somehow find room for both of them that clears best.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

vOv posted:

Also Flicker Strike is a loving experience, especially if you have Slayer splash and Ancestral Call so you can delete an entire pack at once.

I tried oro's and terminus flicker last league as both slayer and raider, this time I started with an oro's flicker champion and it's my favourite flicker build so far. Maybe my favourite build I've tried full stop. It clears super fast and has handled most bosses easily, and the biggest threat seems to be desynch.

To be fair though I've been unusually lucky with drops, almost every unique I've found has been useful to my build or worth quite a bit to sell.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Is anyone doing Mathil's Molten Strike + Whatever build? If so, are you finding the Molten Strike part a bit underwhelming for single target? I'm at 75 now and Molten Strike (linked with Elemental Damage with Attacks, Multistrike, Ice Bite, Ancestral Call) and yeah... sometimes it feels great (i.e. when the boss is up against a wall or in a corner) but if they're out in the open it feels really inefficient and weak.

Is there a better 5L setup for MS that doesn't lean so heavily on whether the boss is near a wall?

For reference, my character is called Mirrorcheese and can be seen here: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/neurotech/characters

neurotech fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 17, 2017

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Are you making use of the Ancestral Call attack just out of range gimmick to get bonus balls for single target?

J
Jun 10, 2001

I've heard there is some stupid bug with molten strike where if you have a glove enchant that is one of the "Do X on hit" ones it makes all the molten strike balls just....miss the target and not do anything.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Yeah, there's a bug with some skills where glove enchants just breaks projectiles from them.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Magus42 posted:

Are you making use of the Ancestral Call attack just out of range gimmick to get bonus balls for single target?

Yep, always shift-casting when I encounter a boss/hard rare.

J posted:

I've heard there is some stupid bug with molten strike where if you have a glove enchant that is one of the "Do X on hit" ones it makes all the molten strike balls just....miss the target and not do anything.

Keru posted:

Yeah, there's a bug with some skills where glove enchants just breaks projectiles from them.

Right. That's annoying. Does it matter that my MS 5L setup is in my body armour though?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Definitely run normal lab fast and write over that enchant until you get something that isn't on hit. I'm not sure exactly how the bug works but it's apparently a major DPS loss.

Edit - I'd also throw the char in PoB and see if Element Focus or another support gem is better DPS than ice bite. With all the flat element on abyss jewels you could be in good shape

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

pork never goes bad posted:

Definitely run normal lab fast and write over that enchant until you get something that isn't on hit. I'm not sure exactly how the bug works but it's apparently a major DPS loss.

Edit - I'd also throw the char in PoB and see if Element Focus or another support gem is better DPS than ice bite. With all the flat element on abyss jewels you could be in good shape

Yep, okay. Thanks for that :)

J
Jun 10, 2001

99% of my trades go off with no issue but for some reason this league I am running into an unusual number of assholes who list an item at one price, then when I message them to buy it, they invite me, and then say the price is 1c higher than whatever they listed it for. This is for common rear end poo poo that 100 other people are selling for the same price. gently caress off.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Lol I did that because I didn't like some dude's name

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

At what point in the game do you even bother looking at stuff to see if it is worthy of trading? I assume that there aren't too many trades going on at level 30 or below.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

J posted:

99% of my trades go off with no issue but for some reason this league I am running into an unusual number of assholes who list an item at one price, then when I message them to buy it, they invite me, and then say the price is 1c higher than whatever they listed it for. This is for common rear end poo poo that 100 other people are selling for the same price. gently caress off.

Yeah I've had people try to hustle or scam me half a dozen times since the league started, after it never happening once in Harbinger. I'm assuming that's just a function of it still being relatively early in the league.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008

J posted:

lmao i did this to some guy last night just because i thought it was funny

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

J posted:

"hi i'd like to buy your xophs blood for 9 ex"
"9 ex and 1c :)"

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I often do that when I have decided that my 1alch or 1c tabs are no longer worth leaving a map to trade but haven't yet cleaned up the tabs. I feel like the reply with a different price is better than ignoring, though it is a good reminder to keep my shop clean as it were.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

The Locator posted:

At what point in the game do you even bother looking at stuff to see if it is worthy of trading? I assume that there aren't too many trades going on at level 30 or below.

Typically the only gear worth anything is what you get from mapping, because the only people with currency to buy anything are mapping. Anyone whose levelling with currency already has a goldrim + tabula + elreon rings + etc.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lechtansi posted:

Typically the only gear worth anything is what you get from mapping, because the only people with currency to buy anything are mapping. Anyone whose levelling with currency already has a goldrim + tabula + elreon rings + etc.

Thanks. That is sort of what I assumed, but good to have it confirmed so I don't waste any time trying. :v:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

That said, some uniques can drop at low levels and be worth something. Poe.ninja is probably the easiest way to check for them.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

hawowanlawow posted:

I just made my first character and I'm going to go full chaos contagion/essence drain occultist. I was planning on eschewing all health for energy shield and picking up chaos inoculation. Is this viable?

Energy shield was nerfed hard before Harbinger, life is the way to go.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

pork never goes bad posted:

That said, some uniques can drop at low levels and be worth something. Poe.ninja is probably the easiest way to check for them.

That's a cool site, thanks. I have two items worth 0.3c!! lol..

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Liquidated all my currency and got a 6L Astral from a set of The Celestial Justicar. Had four alchs and three scours left to my name, ended up with 95 life and room to craft a resist on. Whatever, it's good enough for now.

I think Facebreaker/Lightpoacher is The Build for Me right now. Though I can already see that managing my stats and resists with the limited equipment spots I have is going to be a real motherfucker.

At least Steel Rings are 5c this league :unsmith:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
these shaped helmets are the bees freaking knees for RF. spent like 2c on a helm with level 16 increased AoE and hypothermia and lots of life.

i think my cwdt vortex procs the hypothermia support but i can never be sure with these obscure mechanic.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

while i'm leveling for the first time in a league i throw trash uniques up for 1 alch. somebody out there probably wants it because it fills a hole in their gear while they're leveling, so it'll sell eventually, and very early on getting as many orbs of whatever variety you can is important; unless your build is <50c to get all of the key uniques, jewels, etc. that make your build significantly better, some selling while leveling makes getting decent stuff for mapping easier. rares aren't going to be marketable until yellow maps or so, early in the league, and then later in the league only top-notch rares are worth putting up, usually.

be sure to search uniques on a trade site though, some can seem bad but actually be worth 1c or more

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Zo posted:

these shaped helmets are the bees freaking knees for RF. spent like 2c on a helm with level 16 increased AoE and hypothermia and lots of life.

i think my cwdt vortex procs the hypothermia support but i can never be sure with these obscure mechanic.

hypothermia doesnt work on RF because it's not a hit or ailment

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

hypothermia doesnt work on RF because it's not a hit or ailment

that makes sense. oh well it's just a hold over until i get an increased aoe/burning damage helm anyway.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I've been running HoWA flicker and I've got to say, it feels really good to be able to use basically any weapon with flicker now. Running the new jewel that reflects bleeds and poisons and the old Uul-Netol boots that give you a 100% frenzy on hit while bleeding. I tested in standard and you can even do flicker discharge reliably. I don't think its good, but it is great.

You've got to take care to minimize your phys damage (or roll fort/endurance charges/other phys mitigation) and also your chaos damage if you aren't CI. I tried on an atziri flask and nearly instantly killed myself with the poison reflects.

Also of note, been leveling a GC miner to use the new power charge wand. The damage from crits doesn't impact you if you crit with a mine. With a slightly expensive PoB you can get upwards of 500k average hit per mine while dual wielding the things. Basically no defenses, but pretty savage.

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 18, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
New shaper/elder items seem rather good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

You think it's worth giving up entirely on dual wielding just so you can shield charge instead of whirling blades on a Raider? (Molten Strike/Frost Blades in this case.)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

whirling blades is fine

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Jazerus posted:

while i'm leveling for the first time in a league i throw trash uniques up for 1 alch. somebody out there probably wants it because it fills a hole in their gear while they're leveling, so it'll sell eventually, and very early on getting as many orbs of whatever variety you can is important; unless your build is <50c to get all of the key uniques, jewels, etc. that make your build significantly better, some selling while leveling makes getting decent stuff for mapping easier. rares aren't going to be marketable until yellow maps or so, early in the league, and then later in the league only top-notch rares are worth putting up, usually.

be sure to search uniques on a trade site though, some can seem bad but actually be worth 1c or more

So I did this.. except I priced them as alteration instead of alch.. lol. Sold two items really quick, and discovered that there is no loving way I'm dealing with invite to party, port to hideout and trade crap while I'm trying to actually play the game. Turned off the public tab immediately after the 2nd one.

I sort of figured that people could just search, see a fixed price, and buy them, but nope, it's still all manual as far as the actual transaction, and I don't have enough time to play to be sitting around trading stuff instead of playing. Oh well, thanks for the info and at least now I know how it all works!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Zo posted:

that makes sense. oh well it's just a hold over until i get an increased aoe/burning damage helm anyway.

Sadly, that is impossible. AOE is on Shaper items, Burning Damage is on Elder items. You can get Conc Effect on an Elder helmet though, so if you really really want a 6L helmet for RF you can do that. It also means you can't take conc effect out while clearing a map. A burning damage helm without the conc would be better if you want to swap.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

McFrugal posted:

Sadly, that is impossible. AOE is on Shaper items, Burning Damage is on Elder items. You can get Conc Effect on an Elder helmet though, so if you really really want a 6L helmet for RF you can do that. It also means you can't take conc effect out while clearing a map. A burning damage helm without the conc would be better if you want to swap.

ah that's a shame. well the 6th link would just be item rarity or empower (which doesn't hit the helm skills anyway) so it's not a big deal i think.

i just don't think I'll be able to get a proper essence crafted helm before i die at some point. almost died to a lich last night and have no idea what hit me.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

gently caress hall of the grandmasters, that is all.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Ciaphas posted:

You think it's worth giving up entirely on dual wielding just so you can shield charge instead of whirling blades on a Raider? (Molten Strike/Frost Blades in this case.)

unless that shield is a lyco to up your crit rate then no

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fair do's then

Also holy lmao molten strike with ancestral call and multistrike is stupid

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Was thinking to myself "I wonder how long until I find a ventor's this league"

Less then a hour later, this dropped.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

The Locator posted:

So I did this.. except I priced them as alteration instead of alch.. lol. Sold two items really quick, and discovered that there is no loving way I'm dealing with invite to party, port to hideout and trade crap while I'm trying to actually play the game. Turned off the public tab immediately after the 2nd one.

I sort of figured that people could just search, see a fixed price, and buy them, but nope, it's still all manual as far as the actual transaction, and I don't have enough time to play to be sitting around trading stuff instead of playing. Oh well, thanks for the info and at least now I know how it all works!

Install PoE trade macro. Google it. That has an “invite the last person to message you” hotkey, F6 by default, and a “go to hideout” hotkey, F5 by default. (Edit: on second thought, these macros are in the Lutbot logout macro, not the trade macro. I recommend running both though).

When I get a whisper from someone that wants to buy something, I just press F6, portal, F5 (unless I am already in hideout), find item in stash, trade, go back. Takes like 30 seconds tops, and you can do your vendoring while waiting.

In other news, I’ve improved my mapping efficiency a ton this league by reorganising my stash/hideout. My stash setup is now Currency Tab - Quad Dump Tab - Divcard Tab - Map Tab. I have Zana standing right next to stash, close to map machine.
When I get out of a map I:
Open next map
Talk to Zana, sell all 6sockets/chrome drops.
Go to stash, ctrl click all currency
Ctrl mwheeldown to dump tab, dump everything except cards and maps (or those too, if I’m lazy)
Repeat for cards and map tabs
Enter next map

All in all it takes like 30secs to do. Occasionally I clean up the dump tab, which is way faster when you do it in bulk.

I also completely stopped identifying rares unless they are Stygian belts or jewels. I’ll do some unid chaos recipes once in a while with what I picked up instead. Doing this I’ve realised I used to spend far too much time pricing rare items. On average you’ll probably find something worth at least 1C in a chaos recipe set, but the time you spend pricing and trading it just isn’t worth it.

People have told me this for several leagues, but I’m stubborn.

Elerion fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I've only recently hit maps and pretty much spend all my chaos. I'm currently sitting at 45 alch 0c and 1ex that dropped. A nifty thing is just setting up a few public tabs for 5c 3c 2c 1c buyouts. I pick up and ID rares for chaos recipe and dump all of them into the 2c tab. I sell a few items every day that way.