Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can’t wait until the pr machine for Anthem gets going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
What's Anthem, another trash game for idiots?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Aardark posted:

Yes.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

people in this thread were apparently more angry about shaders in destiny 2 than battlefront 2 being literally a pay to win game, lmao

also like, the reason you ~dont support this kind of behavior~ is that the game is demonstrably shittier for having the mechanic in it. chalking it up to ethics is dumb, if you want to be ~pragmatic~ about it the game is more likely to get shittier updates and balance and gameplay is less likely to be an issue in balancing it and any potential future games in the series.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Aardark posted:

Yes

Now watch me buy it and get top 5 post count in the thread for it

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Battlefront 2 is better than 1 but it still has some fundamental problems that stop me from playing it regularly. It's just too much of a meat grinder with not much skill involved. If you love ship combat you should absolutely get it though, that is way better.

But the new Last Jedi map and the campaign story are awful, the story makes a dumb plot twist early on that ruins it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Is it the fact you play as an Empire officer before betraying them two or so levels in because "I didn't know the Empire was evil you guys!" despite likely killing a ton of rebels to get there?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

gently caress just remake TIE Fighter already. No multiplayer, no get out and walk around, no RPG elements, just exactly TIE Fighter as it was. You'd sell a billion copies.

Honestly the best part of Battlefront 2 is the starfighter stuff because it reminded me of TIE Fighter, when someone mentioned that DICE handed that off to Criterion it made total sense.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There’s a lot about TIE fighter that would be decried as archaic now I think. Those kinds of sims games have always had an odd position between an action game and a full flight sim and I think a modern audience would want it to be clearly one or the other.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That there hasn't even been a nostalgia cash grab Kickstarter for a TIE Fighter/Freespace/Colony Wars style game shows just how utterly dead that genre is :(

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There have been several trying to be spiritual sequels to Descent/Freespace.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Descent or Freespace because those are two very different things despite the latter using the name of the of the former to avoid copyright issues at the time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Freespace 2 is the best game ever.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Aardark posted:

Biowares destiny killer
*sound of a toilet struggling to flush a hefty buttnug*

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka posted:

That there hasn't even been a nostalgia cash grab Kickstarter for a TIE Fighter/Freespace/Colony Wars style game shows just how utterly dead that genre is :(

i thought star citizen was supposed to be this

before they turned it into a $100 million scam that is

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it was supposed to be Wing Commander-esque but more on the Privateer side with trading and other stuff before it turned into a scam. I just want an objective based campaign like the Freespaces with none of the other bits.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

abagofcheetos posted:

i thought star citizen was supposed to be this

before they turned it into a $100 million scam that is

So glad I managed to turn a huge profit off this poo poo and get out before it went full retard. At least I have a free copy of the game and a pile of ships to use in the odd event it ever actually comes out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would settle for a spiritual successor to Colony Wars.

Ace Combat 7 has a space elevator, if there's not at least one mission in low earth orbit...

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
If you have a Star Wars fix there are several ways you can get your fill without playing Battlefront 2. You could go see that new Star Wars movie at the cinema, you could play one of the several classic Star Wars games which are on sale on Steam at the moment, "STAR WARS™ Galactic Battlegrounds" is my pick for £1.62 for that nostalgia hit. Dig out your old SNES and spend some time with the classic trilogy of Star Wars themed platformers. You could watch Revenge of the Sith again or even cut the chord on a NES Zapper and pretend you are Hans Solo.

Hell, if you are that badly in need of a space fix, buy yourself a copy of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program - http://store.steampowered.com/app/308270/Buzz_Aldrins_Space_Program_Manager/ - because it'll probably be more engaging than spending your time and money on Star Wars Battlefront II.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

20% off cart code for PSN

R6C9N58CR(three)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Battlefront 2 caused a $3 billion loss in stock value. This is panic salvage mode not “we’ll get the last laugh” mode.

No matter what happens, the shareholders are going to see this as a Failed Game.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

fruit on the bottom posted:

Battlefront 2 caused a $3 billion loss in stock value. This is panic salvage mode not “we’ll get the last laugh” mode.

No matter what happens, the shareholders are going to see this as a Failed Game.

Except they've already recovered their losses because only idiots sold after that kerfuffle

(game released on Nov 17)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

HGH posted:

Is it the fact you play as an Empire officer before betraying them two or so levels in because "I didn't know the Empire was evil you guys!" despite likely killing a ton of rebels to get there?

Yes. And the execution of it is super stupid too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would settle for a spiritual successor to Colony Wars.

Yes, please.

And not that they're all that similar, but I'd take another Warhawk, too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah it was supposed to be Wing Commander-esque but more on the Privateer side with trading and other stuff before it turned into a scam. I just want an objective based campaign like the Freespaces with none of the other bits.

If your computer is halfway decent you may like House of the Dying Sun. That game was short but pretty enthralling.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Are there any games that I absolutely must get while the holiday sale is going on? I'm trying to build my library a bit since I don't have too many games for the PS4. I just beat HZD (loved it), I'm pretty decently far into Yakuza 0 and I've been enjoying P5 but that seems like it'll take a while.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Descent or Freespace because those are two very different things despite the latter using the name of the of the former to avoid copyright issues at the time.

I guess most of them are more like descent?

I never really played much freespace, but I thought that Elite: Dangerous was kind of that genre...

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Real hurthling! posted:

Biowares destiny killer
*sound of a toilet struggling to flush a hefty buttnug*
Hell, Bungie did that themselves.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

glassyalabolas posted:

20% off cart code for PSN

R6C9N58CR(three)

This was used up almost as soon as you posted it. Pretty lovely for people to use it and not post a thank you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Snak posted:

I guess most of them are more like descent?

I never really played much freespace, but I thought that Elite: Dangerous was kind of that genre...

Freespace is a story-driven game with tightly-scripted military operations and you face fuckoff capital ships the size of cities equipped with dozens of beam cannons, it's for people who get a little woozy when they get briefings from line officers talking over holographic grids and want to hear wingmen say stuff like "Order acknowledged Alpha 1, displacing to sector bravo"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you can buy tie fighter for pc on gog last I checked if you're dying to play that game again

e: the whole series is $16 there right now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's the CD version with worse music

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Freespace is a story-driven game with tightly-scripted military operations and you face fuckoff capital ships the size of cities equipped with dozens of beam cannons, it's for people who get a little woozy when they get briefings from line officers talking over holographic grids and want to hear wingmen say stuff like "Order acknowledged Alpha 1, displacing to sector bravo"

Oh... I must have been thinking of Freelancer. I've never played Freespace.

Space games really need to diversify their naming pool.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlSGjTzb_qY

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Freespace 2 had a particularly tense mission for a SpaceGame. At the end of a stage the Satanas - a ship so titanic it dwarfs your own giant frigates - appears and obliterates your forces. The very next mission is your superiors saying "Ok, we need to know what's up with that, we're giving you a stealth ship and you gotta fly real close to that guy and scan his poo poo". It's pretty terrifying.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Man, if anthem turns out to be even a mediocre exosuit game I'll probably buy it because mech games don't scratch the same itch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrchciHCI8A

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ha, I picked up HZD CE at Argos for 35 quid cause I was in the UK for a couple of days. Take that greedy German retailers.
The 30€ I saved were wisely invested in a lootbox system. I bought rounds and every round bought resulted in a payout of several free pints in return. A+ would play again... Except for the headache...

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is there likely to be any more PSN sales between now and Christmas or is what's up, it? I could possibly throw a 20% code out there because I don't think I'm going to use mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks for the useful insight.
same, but for all of your posts