Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lid posted:

This is kind of huge news

Australian Federal Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Gaughan said the man had been acting "to serve some higher patriotic purpose" to raise funds for the North Korean regime and, if his attempted transactions had been successful, could have raised tens of millions of dollars.

"This case is like nothing we have ever seen on Australian soil," AFP Assistant Commissioner Neil Gaughan said.

The attempted transactions related to sale of missile guidance systems and other missile componentry, and to the sale of coal, to third parties in Indonesia and Vietnam.

He said it was believed the man had been in contact with high-ranking North Korean officials but gave no other details of how or when the man was recruited as a North Korean economic agent.

"I know these charges sound alarming. Let me be clear we are not suggesting there are any weapons or missile componentry that ever came to Australian soil, nor that we believed that we identified any immediate threat to the Australian community."

The allegation in relation to the missile componentry is that the man participated in discussions about the provision of the componentry, which assists in the guidance of ballistic missiles, from North Korea to other entities.

"This man was acting as a loyal agent for North Korea.

"The evidence suggests there had been contact with high-ranking officials in North Korea," he said.

Sam Dastyari noooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Melbourne Lord Mayor stands aside over indecent assault allegations

Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle says he is "shocked" but "distressed" as he announces he will stand aside while he is investigated for alleged sexual harassment, indecent assault and misconduct.

whooops

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

I have a feeling the actual answer is going to be there should never have been two dozen people, a barbecue and a fridge on the balcony at the same time tbh

Yeah, that'll be the excuse.

But that raises the question: Where do you find the safe working loads for stuff like this? If you are using any kind of towing of lifting equipment the SWL will be somewhere on that but it's not like buildings come with little signs on them telling you weight limits.

Even if people wanted to know how many drunk idiots they could fit on their balcony they probably couldn't find the info without hiring a engineer, but nobody is going to do that. Surely that's a serious safety issue in the building system (as if they don't have enough of those already).

Of course, people will just ignore SWLs because they are idiots, but it couldn't hurt to make them more easy to find. Maintenance is also a big thing that people will ignore, but that's another issue.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

abc producing social media content appealing to young people in this year, the year 2001

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Periphery posted:

Yeah, that'll be the excuse.

But that raises the question: Where do you find the safe working loads for stuff like this? If you are using any kind of towing of lifting equipment the SWL will be somewhere on that but it's not like buildings come with little signs on them telling you weight limits.

Even if people wanted to know how many drunk idiots they could fit on their balcony they probably couldn't find the info without hiring a engineer, but nobody is going to do that. Surely that's a serious safety issue in the building system (as if they don't have enough of those already).

Of course, people will just ignore SWLs because they are idiots, but it couldn't hurt to make them more easy to find. Maintenance is also a big thing that people will ignore, but that's another issue.

It’s made even better by the fact that even if you are using a standard solution which follows a relevant Australian Standard referenced directly in the national construction code, the standards are pay to access ranging from :10bux: to upwards of a thousand depending on what it’s for :toot:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

It’s made even better by the fact that even if you are using a standard solution which follows a relevant Australian Standard referenced directly in the national construction code, the standards are pay to access ranging from :10bux: to upwards of a thousand depending on what it’s for :toot:

Also the company that distributes these standards has a monopoly on them and they are complaining that they aren't making enough money.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

NPR Journalizard posted:

Also the company that distributes these standards has a monopoly on them and they are complaining that they aren't making enough money.

Yeah god that gives me the shits. Having to buy the Australian standard so I can comply with regulations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
From a neat Twitter thread

https://twitter.com/conradhackett/status/941740510087204864

AgentF
May 11, 2009

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
count chocula come back, we need you

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/FionaGillen2013/status/942344346900209664

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/942352064897622016

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

These are the dumbarses running the country.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The war on Christmas has arrived early this year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The balcony collapse was a rented property too so the owners are going to have a pretty fun time of things proving they weren’t negligent in their management of the property too.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
It's sad that the LNP aren't doing worse in the 2PP polling tbh

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Krabboss posted:

You've met an Australian right? Theyre pretty poo poo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Brown Paper Bag posted:

These are the dumbarses running the country.

quote:

George Brandis is off to London

The Attorney-General will replace Alexander Downer as Australia's High Commissioner to the United Kingdom.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

First Brexit, now this.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

RIP

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

brandis lived through a row with the solicitor general and colluding with WA to waste taxpayer dollars but the one thing he couldn’t survive politically was standing up to pauline hanson

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Michaelia Cash possibly for attorney general, jesus.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Canberrans were left shocked and scared after leaflets promoting white supremacy were dropped in letterboxes in the capital's south this week.

ACT police have confirmed they are now investigating the material.

The leaflets laden with anti-semetic, racist text, described diversity as "white genocide" and directed readers to a website for the supposed group, 'Hussaric Dawn'.

But the mother of the man who authored the leaflets said her son had autism and was "easily led".

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Krabboss posted:

They historically passed SSM via the will of the people! Didn't you hear?

They fought back against all those nay-sayers who didn't want to acknowledge your rights, and bravely soldiered on!

please ignore that the nay-sayers were also members of the Coalition, thanks

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Canberrans were left shocked and scared after leaflets promoting white supremacy were dropped in letterboxes in the capital's south this week.

ACT police have confirmed they are now investigating the material.

The leaflets laden with anti-semetic, racist text, described diversity as "white genocide" and directed readers to a website for the supposed group, 'Hussaric Dawn'.

But the mother of the man who authored the leaflets said her son had autism and was "easily led".

...Isn't that the exact same excuse used for one of the guys that harassed Dastayari?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

...Isn't that the exact same excuse used for one of the guys that harassed Dastayari?

yes. turns out lots of people like to use autism as an excuse for their kids' lovely behaviour! but you can be autistic without being a racist rear end in a top hat :)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

do these guys not know of the nazi position on neurodiversity or

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's funny because Hussars are famously Slavic.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Skellybones posted:

It's funny because Hussars are famously Slavic.

When has being Slavic ever stopped Slavs from being Nazis?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 18, 2017

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Budget Update: cutting education funding and grants to nullify the lack of wage growth which is a good sign because....?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I thought they announced they were increasing funding by 8% (after cutting the gently caress out of it previously)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
$2.1 billion in savings in the higher education sector have been confirmed through freezing the Commonwealth Grants Scheme to universities and a cap on student places.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheKouk/status/942568358548987904

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol seeing it on a graph really sums up the media hype.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

More good news from The Kouk:

https://twitter.com/TheKouk/status/942572001700352000

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

On top of this I feel like every year we hear about how the deficit is rising at a slower rate and the media eats it up.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Remember how the coalition was going to return the budget to surplus and start reducing debt in their first budget or some dumb poo poo and no one in the media bothered following it up ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Also this is all improvement after literally doubling the deficit in their first year in charge.

• Locked thread