Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Eh, some of that stuff from Jones/Nordham is disappointing, but overall there's not that much to be concerned about. I mean, if Joe "coal should be considered a food group" Manchin has done a good job of towing the Democratic line, then I think we can expect the same from these other guys.

Now, if Nordham refuses to use his veto powers when the time for redistricting comes around, then the pitchforks need to start coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Koalas March posted:

Hahahaha. Of course.

Yeahhhhh, I fuckin dare someone to try and indict Obama right now.

"Obama, you are charged with being Black while President".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If Chochran is also out on health reasons then Collins can really be a key vote here.

That's when Republicans start praying for McCain's sudden death.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mr Interweb posted:

I mean, if Joe "coal should be considered a food group" Manchin has done a good job of towing the Democratic line...
narrator voice: ah, gently caress it

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

wrong thread

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

If Cochran and McCain are out the threshold to pass drops to 48+Pence so there still would need to be two defections.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This one isn't that hard: it's not looking good, not looking for the bad hombres who who lied to the FBI and even to me. Lied to my face! Bigly!

Thankfully the FBI and my loyal, patriotic staff have been hard at work at uncovering the truth and we look forward to the matter getting wrapped up soon.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Kilroy posted:

narrator voice: ah, gently caress it
Sincerely interested: can you name a single vote where he sided with the Republicans and the motion would have failed if all Democrats had voted against it? As opposed to hall passes?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Haschel Cedricson posted:

If Cochran and McCain are out the threshold to pass drops to 48+Pence so there still would need to be two defections.

Wouldn't it be 49+Pence?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Oops, that was a typo.

I think the math still stand though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Wouldn't it be 49+Pence?

Yeah, it would be 49+Pence, but two defections required is right.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Wouldn't it be 49+Pence?

There are 100 votes possible, you need to break the tie, so 51 not 50.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A sitting president is functionally immune from federal indictment due to the pardon power.

There is no inherent or explicit immunity from state level prosecution however as the President cannot pardon state level crimes. There is an implicit argument that allowing a State to file criminal charges against a sitting President would violate federal supremacy / separation of powers / etc. but I'm not sure exactly how you'd phrase it -- core argument would be impermissible interference with the federal government. Still that would be an argument that would have to be made, there's no precedent or law saying such explicitly.

I assume they can go after his businesses and foundation though for criminal activity those entities participated in. I can't imagine that any sort of protection would extend to that level. Going after all his closest advisors with state level charges and then exposing all the money laundering his businesses went through would still be massively useful, and while he personally can't be hit except by impeachment the idea that it would extend to business entities he owns or is involved with seems far-fetched.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jealous Cow posted:

you missed the point

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

They're speaking of a situation where McCain and Cochran are out, so 98 votes possible.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

If the current tax bill passes, how soon do supporters realize, wow this really fucks me?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

pumpinglemma posted:

Sincerely interested: can you name a single vote where he sided with the Republicans and the motion would have failed if all Democrats had voted against it? As opposed to hall passes?

Exactly. I'm pretty sure he was never the deciding vote on any important lovely piece of legislation/confirmation.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If I am not mistaken, Eric did absolutely nothing for his Dad's campaign. Tiffany, Barron and him are safe.

Barron's been working for the FBI for years. How do you think they knew about the emails?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
So does impeachment have protections against double jeopardy like regular criminal cases?

I just had a waking nightmare of the Mueller probe dropping, Dems start impeachment proceedings from the House, but the still-Republican Senate picks Party over country and then a later Dem Senate can’t do anything.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

If the current tax bill passes, how soon do supporters realize, wow this really fucks me?

As long as it fucks brown people more - never.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DarkHorse posted:

So does impeachment have protections against double jeopardy like regular criminal cases?

I just had a waking nightmare of the Mueller probe dropping, Dems start impeachment proceedings from the House, but the still-Republican Senate picks Party over country and then a later Dem Senate can’t do anything.

No, it does not.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

As long as it fucks brown people more - never.

good point

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Barron's been working for the FBI for years. How do you think they knew about the emails?

Lol, in the end it turns out Barron isn’t George Michael, he’s been Annyong the whole time.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Aren't most tax breaks for regular people going to expire after 8 years? Then, if they are that blind, I guess.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

DarkHorse posted:

LOL. There's a smorgasbord of crimes to impeach Trump over. Pick one. If that falls apart, pick another. It only takes one high crime or misdemeanor. That's before you get into pedantically talking about the difference between impeachment and a grand jury indictment.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

When the next recession hits.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ceiling fan posted:

LOL. There's a smorgasbord of crimes to impeach Trump over. Pick one. If that falls apart, pick another. It only takes one high crime or misdemeanor. That's before you get into pedantically talking about the difference between impeachment and a grand jury indictment.

The problem is that if you pick one and it falls apart, it discredits any future attempts to impeach Trump in the eyes of the public.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ceiling fan posted:

Impeachment is political, not criminal. It's about removing the President from office, not sending him to jail. Thus it can be done for any reason or no reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DarkHorse posted:

Impeachment is a political process, not a criminal one

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

That Italian Guy posted:

Aren't most tax breaks for regular people going to expire after 8 years? Then, if they are that blind, I guess.

In 8 years there will be a Democrat President and probably a Democrat congress. People's taxes will go up during that time and the GOP can campaign on 'fixing the economy and lowering your taxes' again.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

A Dem Senate can't do anything that a GOP Senate can't do, anyway, because removal requires a supermajority. No matter what, removal needs Republicans.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
How many times has a veep been bought in for a tie breaker?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ceiling fan posted:

It's not like there's double jeopardy in impeachment. It's just a vote. There's no reason not to throw everything at him every time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pervis posted:

I assume they can go after his businesses and foundation though for criminal activity those entities participated in. I can't imagine that any sort of protection would extend to that level. Going after all his closest advisors with state level charges and then exposing all the money laundering his businesses went through would still be massively useful, and while he personally can't be hit except by impeachment the idea that it would extend to business entities he owns or is involved with seems far-fetched.

Yeah, the NY AG has an ongoing investigation of the Trump charity, for example.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

How many times has a veep been bought in for a tie breaker?

Pence has done it 6 times so far.. Biden never did it, Cheney did it 8 times in 8 years, Gore 4 times in 8 years, Quayle 0 times, Bush 7 times in 8 years. You have to go back to the Jackson administration to find a VP who used the tie-break as frequently as Pence has so far.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Helen Highwater posted:

In 8 years there will be a Democrat President and probably a Democrat congress. People's taxes will go up during that time and the GOP can campaign on 'fixing the economy and lowering your taxes' again.

Yep. By the way, this is another classic Berlusconi-like move; he once revealed that, if elected, he would remove local property taxes. He has done that out of the blue, the day before the election. When he won, he actually maintained his promise; ofc that kind of tax is levered by local municipalities (that needs it for things like fixing roads and such). And whoever got to reintroduce something like that was left to fix the whole mess when the effects of it became visible.

Since these are the US, though, you don't even need to cater to the average Joe if they are GOP supporters...as everyone of them is just a temporarily embarrassed millionaire.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

So that they grab their guns and shout down and attempt to intimidate all the sane people.

Also there are plenty of lovely young republican CEO wannabes who watch it on TV and alt-rights who still watch it via streams believe it or not. I feel like it's really dangerous to keep framing GOP supporters are harmless/decrepit old people, when they have a decent of Gen X supporters along with the young and so goddamn crazy alt-right bastards. Sure they're trying to drag farther to the right but they still vote GOP.

I get really depressed when people don't know the difference between Atlanta/Baltimore/Detroit other than "lots of black people"

The best part of this is that an entire season of "The Wire" took place on the docks. Atlanta is a landlocked city. This is a basic geography fail.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

The best part of this is that an entire season of "The Wire" took place on the docks. Atlanta is a landlocked city. This is a basic geography fail.

EDIT: Hey I can't read simple :thejoke: apparently!

Anyway it's simple. Baltimore gets the dope fiends and Atlanta the brain ones.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 18, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The real question is how long will it take them to blame the democrats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Lycus posted:

A Dem Senate can't do anything that a GOP Senate can't do, anyway, because removal requires a supermajority. No matter what, removal needs Republicans.

I wonder what happens if the investigation is over, tons of people are going to jail, including a few congressmen, and the Republicans in the senate are just going to be like nah, not getting rid of him. Are we all just supposed to pretend?

• Locked thread