Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

the littlest prince posted:

How does a plague affect robots?

Like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

This run's starting off at least as dramatic as the last.

As for the other question asked, how a plague affects robots? Uh, no clue. I found that amusing also. As for this; I would say moreso, if plague=artificial difficulty spike. It's really, really bad losing your first colony ship to the Guardian; this however, is far worse. Brace yourself for one of the most depressing, boring updates in the annals of this LP.

Episode VII: 2350-2375

Nine million die the first year. Vega's the only colony that can even try to minimize the damage. At this point in the game, this kind of crisis is really a killer.

Five years later, the ravages continue. Note that RP value, then consider this:

This game is over, it's only a matter of time till it's official. That's 33 years worth at the current pace, which will not be sustained because they are being killed faster than I can send them in. Might as well stand up and applaud. Well done, Master of Orion. You did not take the idea of losing three straight to me lying down. I admit defeat. Now let's go see how long it will take to file the necessary paperwork ...

The Silicoids chase us off Tyr a couple of years later, and this:

Smurch vs. Sedimin. You don't say.

** Silicoids(4)
** Bulrathi(6)
** Darloks(2) -- abstain
** Humans(2) -- abstain
** Psilons(4) -- abstain
** Meklar(2) -- abstain

Hey, look at us bringing up the rear! Psilons starting to rise. All manner of terrible news. But not as terrible as the virus taking down our citizens. You gotta appreciate the irony of the only machine race in the galaxy getting crushed by a biological contamination.

2361, and the plague has now lasted over a decade with no end in sight, no further updates. It looks like this every year -- all available colonists streaming towards the homeworld from all three outlying colonies. We've now reached the point where slightly fewer are dying than are being born/transferred on an annual basis; Meklon is at 75M and rising slowly.

It's in the upper 80s a decade later, when we are informed of this:

They are Xenophobic Expansionists. Relations start at Relaxed despite their lack of courtesy, so I won't bother with trade yet; we need every last credit for researching the plague cure.

They haven't gotten anything else, still at 7 systems; must have gotten a range increase, probably to Irridium(6). That thing we were going after until this happened.

Getting trounced in population by the Silicoids. Yep, we're that awesome.

A few years later, the Psilons take the nearly-useless ball of rock called Ukko.

They are Pacifistic Diplomats. Might be the first time we've run into Pacifists. Already allied with Silicoids, Bulrathis, and Humans.

Aaaaaand already possessing nearly a quarter of the galaxy. Meet the new boss, ladies and gentlemen.

This is going to get ugly.

Two years later, the Psilons are nominated along with the Bulrathi in the High Council.

A little surprised to see the Humans go against Zygot here.

The Bulrathi still out-number them, but I'll be surprised if that lasts. We abstain with our two votes and neither candidate gets as much as half. Bulrathi, Silicoids, Psilons -- three galactic powers, and three impotent fools; Meklar, Darlok, Humans.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
That's just mean! I mean, it makes for an exciting game should you win, but is there any real way to recover from such a kick in the nuts as this?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Technically, if the big boys smash the poo poo out of each other for decades and none of the AI empires ever get the upper hand and also everyone leaves the Meklars alone. In practice, it's over, all that's left is haggling over the details.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Yea, all you could hope for is a few centuries of stalemate and being ignored so you have time to recover. Not likely.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

RedMagus posted:

That's just mean! I mean, it makes for an exciting game should you win, but is there any real way to recover from such a kick in the nuts as this?

Anything's possible (and it could be even worse, your homeworld can go supernova and you lose the planet entirely), but when your other planets aren't good and you're facing down runaway Psilons, it's pretty unlikely. Them rolling Pacifist this time actually makes it worse, because Honorable leaders will flip out and declare war sometimes when they catch someone spying on them, making it possible to set up a bloc against them and try to win the Council vote. If they're not starting anything until they're dominant, that's a lot harder.

I don't know if we've discussed it in the thread before, but plague and supernova RP requirements are based on the production of the planet in question. That makes it absolutely devastating against the Meklar, who have tons of factories but have trouble parlaying that into RP early on because they have to pay so much in waste cleanup. Your best bet is basically max out your taxes and feed the reserve into your homeworld every turn, because ending the plague faster means you're losing fewer colonists and can get it back to being useful sooner. It's one of the rare times you'd bother doing that (since you always lose money putting it in the bank unless you're doing Reserve spending from a Rich planet).

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The poor Meklar. Bootstrapped into space, caught cybernetic prions, died.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Would it be more efficient to just transport as many people off Meklar as possible, let the Plague kill it down to uninhabited, and then recolonize it? Or would the plague just restart immediately?

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
You can’t move pop off a plague planet. You could just let it burn and hope the colonies can bootstrap themselves up.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Looks like you got hit by the Guava strategy. :negative:

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mzbundifund posted:

Pretty much. Looks like this run is just watching the world burn.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Mzbundifund posted:

No, that strategy would be infecting all the meklar colonies simultaneously. It's more effective and efficient that way!

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
We have recovered the remnants of several research logs from the debris field above Meklon Prime. Their final entries are all focused on finding a cure for the Guavian Pox that was sweeping across the Meklar Concordant and they grow increasingly desperate as the situation worsened.

The last entry reveals that the pox had spread in an uncontrolled fashion on the space station itself. An attachment details all of their failed attempts to produce a cure in the vain hope that the data would be useful to future generations of Meklar scientists.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
re: robot plagues: aren't the Meklar fragile organic beings wearing power armor? Maybe their immune systems are awful.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

ManxomeBromide posted:

re: robot plagues: aren't the Meklar fragile organic beings wearing power armor? Maybe their immune systems are awful.

I feel that the MoO2 artwork makes it more believable. Then again, I don't know if the Silicoids are susceptible too, so...

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Maybe the Rocks can get some alien version of "tin blight"

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

RedMagus posted:

it makes for an exciting game should you win, but is there any real way to recover from such a kick in the nuts as this?

As others have said, it really depends on the other races and how much time and space they give you. I went a little overboard with the write-up, partly because it's easy to over-react to bad things when they happen, but also due to just emphasizing how much it sucked. Not that much overboard though. Later on it doesn't matter as much, but when it hits your one developed planet that is responsible for pushing your growth curve, it's a royal kick and gives the other empires a freer hand than they already have.

wayne posted:

Your best bet is basically max out your taxes and feed the reserve into your homeworld every turn, because ending the plague faster means you're losing fewer colonists and can get it back to being useful sooner. It's one of the rare times you'd bother doing that (since you always lose money putting it in the bank unless you're doing Reserve spending from a Rich planet).

I think this is the right answer. I wanted to use the reserve, but didn't because the normal ways of doing so were cut off. Scrapping obsolete ships gets you a quarter of their value; that and funding the reserve with industrial spending are the two ways I normally do it. Industrial spending is better than the mentioned tax slider because it lets you target where the funds come from. Since that's the normal way, and none of my other systems had max factories yet, I just wrote off the reserve idea. It didn't even occur to me to use the 'tax' slider(Planets screen), because I never do that. I estimate that would have ended the plague several years earlier. It wasn't the only significant mistake I would make ... (evil foreshadowing FTW)

BurningStone posted:

You can’t move pop off a plague planet.

This. They're quarantined by game rule. The TRANS button is inactive until the plague ends.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
You must have done well if you were around long enough to make a significant mistake.....

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode VII: 2375-2400

Finally is definitely the right term here. It is 2383; the plague lasted well over three decades. Neither the Silicoids or Psilons have added new territory in some while now; 7 planets for the rocks, 11 for the eggheads.

We still expect to get the red and yellow one in the very lower-right corner. That would give us six. Chances of expanding beyond that are not good; I think we'd need to have radiated landings and after all this delay, we aren't getting that before others do.

A few years later, we get the Irridium cells and can finally get that idle Colonizer moving ... and another one built ... and get some more Recons flowing. We'll definitely go to Sublight here and return to a normal research distribution. Can always come back for that inertial stabilizer. Even though minimal amounts were put into them, we're close to a couple other advances also.

Been almost a half-century since our last one.

Early 90s here. At least we get the option for Robotics III, which of course we will nab right away.

Next year Industrial Tech 9 is in. I'll go 8 here, only because it's cheaper. Moving up through the tiers is going to take precedence over a lot of stuff for the time being.

2397: Kakata, max 60, is our final landing for now.

That's a Psilon colony ship; only beat them by a year. Must have reserve tanks, that's the only way they could get out this far into the corner. Because of that, I'm not worried about them taking it from us yet.

Barren landings come in, and this. We have still not had one single, solitary option for waste-reduction. At the end of the century we get Class II Shields and Hyper-V Rockets in. Class III the only shielding option ...

Having the latest stuff for our bases is really important to me, so I bypass the pellet gun and go with Hyper-X. Two missiles in a row isn't what I'd normally do -- but this isn't a normal game.

It's Zygot vs. Smurch again. The Silicoids staying out of it basically guarantees another deadlock.

** Silicoids(6)
** Bulrathi(8)
** Darloks(2) -- Zygot has at least one willing sycophant
** Humans(3) -- Make that two of them
** Psilons(10) -- Look at these guys already making a run to be masters of the universe.
** Meklar(3) -- Well yay. Somebody(Darloks) is worse than us. We abstain and it's 15-8, nobody getting to the halfway point. As long as this deadlock continues there's a chance, tiny thought it may be, of finding a way to pull of a miracle -- or at least prolonging the misery for a while.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know what they say, misery loves company. We're here to provide you company.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

General Revil posted:

You know what they say, misery loves company. We're here to provide you company.

I wish I could like or upvote this post.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Fingers crossed for an underdog win rather than a depressing slouch into destruction.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

General Revil posted:

I agree with Aesclepia; award-winning comment here.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

PurpleXVI posted:

Fingers crossed for an underdog win rather than a depressing slouch into destruction.

hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode VII: 2400-2425

Production's ok-ish, but even that's a mirage. Not big enough to be relevant. To become so, we'll need to eventually find a way to join the right side of a conflict -- or get radiated landings first, which isn't likely here.

The trade deals have just kept things where they are basically. Humans are allied with both parties; Darloks with the Psilons as well.

Only Robotic Controls III is anywhere near completion. Elsewhere, we still have a negative trade balance(-60, 5.2% of our current production).

Just below the cursor is Nazin, the Darlok homeworld; above it is Rhilus, a Human colony. We may be able to explore another system or two but it seems unlikely. Those two radiated worlds are it. It seems sensible to do what we can to secure them -- if we can do that long enough, we can make a run at eventually colonizing them but it will almost certainly take some 'brush war' border fighting to hold off the others.

A simple laser-equipped fighter is going to be outclassed at this point. So likely will this 'Heavy Patrol' destroyer be, but it'll have a better chance. Basic battle computer and shield for minimal boosting of it's capabilities, and a couple of heavy lasers. Best we can do for system defense. Once any system gets enough missile bases up(right now Meklon has 3, one of the others 1, and that's it) I see little downside in investing a relatively minimal(typical 10% maintenance or less) in these to attempt safeguard of the wealthy radiated systems.

About half of the production on all fully-developed worlds is going to waste cleanup. This is our other big problem at the moment, and there is no solution coming anytime soon. In fact it probably gets worse before it gets better when Robotics arrives. You can also see here that I'm following the '50-50' plan; half of discretionary spending to research, half to the military. It seems a sensible approach right now. Our economy is really going to be hampered until we get some kind of more effective way to deal with the waste though.

We've found a hole in the middle of the galaxy basically. With the Guardian just below and a short hop to the left, this isn't a real useful section of 'terrain'. We've also gotten our first tech peek; the Psilons have at least Toxic landings, while of course the Silicoids don't need much. We don't have a lot of time, and I'm doubting we get enough ships out to the radiated systems in time. Still going to try though.

Another Human(purple) encounter on our final option here. We are definitely cut off in all directions.

Robotics III takes more time than expected, showing up in 2411. By this time all four core planets have 2-5 bases each and three of them are building the patrol ships, with several in the pipeline but none on station yet. We've also got a positive trade balance, are starting to make progress on the other tech fields, and the new colonies(Darrian and Kakata) are over half population and accelerating their industrial buildup. As for the next choice here, the scanner is definitely worth the price IMO.

It takes four years to get the new factories built in the core worlds, and I take a look at increasing trade -- but we can't double our deals yet, so we'll stay where we are. The Psilons are growing more favorable towards us all the time, so that's something. Meanwhile we have a few destroyers at each of the radiated systems. Not much, but we aren't totally defenseless now.

In 2420, we discover that the Psilons are already up to Class VII shields. They probably don't have any ships with that yet, but those would make their fleets impervious to any weapon we can mount(Heavy Lasers max out at 7 damage). We've got 23 destroyers for a maintenance bill of less than 3% -- plenty of room in the economy there but it still seems research would be the best use of our funds, and we switch everything we can into that. At least until we can build something that can damage them.

Hyper-X Rockets arrive in 2425, just before the Council puts in their two cents again. We have multiple others close to completion. On this list we are choosing from the last two. If we really need Scatter Packs we can come back for them; the Mass Driver will give us at least the capacity to damage current Psilon designs, though they might well have outgrown that by the time we can deploy it. It's a chance to do something though anyway.

Zygot vs. Sedimin here, with the Silicoids having overtaken the Bulrathi. Not a surprise.

Smurch throwing his support to Zygot has the potential to bring the Psilons dangerously close to victory ...

They may not have much, but even a couple votes can turn the tide as we've seen.

This is a surprise. I'd expect the Humans to be diplomatic enough to stay out of it, as I think they are still allied with both. Should be safe for another round.

Zygot gains another two votes. One shy of a veto block, which I imagine they'll have by next time. They more or less control their own fate with 50% more population than the other two majors.

As for us, we are up 1 vote again to 4. That makes us chief among the irrelevants, and we abstain. 22-11 is the final, with 25 needed to win. The Psilons were just three short here. All they'd have to do is flip the Humans. Sure looks like the galaxy will soon be at their mercy ...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
If this DOES get turned around, it'll be the comeback to end all comebacks.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode VII: 2425-2450

I think it's getting worse, not better here.

A bunch of stuff coming in soon. Kakata and Darrian are still developing but nearly there. The research and intermittent base-building will continue until we get the Mass Driver or something else breaks.

2427, and we get Industrial Tech 8 and Controlled Tundra. While the armor would be nice here, the reduced waste is absolutely essential. It's way past time.

Two with one blow. Enhanced Eco is going to be 50% better(60% reduction in spending on waste compared to 40% for the direct waste reduction) and is also slightly cheaper even with our planetology penalty. So we'll be focusing efforts into planetology, then construction once we get this. This isn't going to save us, but it sure as heck is going to help. In the meantime all base construction is on hold. We can do that much more efficiently once we've taken care of our ecology resource sink.

Bite me. Seriously. That's over 60% of the industry on Darrian gone, and it'll take years to rebuild it.

In 2433, we get Class III Deflectors. Good news is we do have the first tier of Planetary Shields available, so that's next. Also ...

Super.

A few years later we get the Improved Space Scanner. We'll still die, but we'll know about it first. Definitely going for the latest Battle Computer here. Also, Kakata is now maxed out, the fifth system to join the research effort.

2440. It took 13 years of near-maximum effort. Almost a century and a half for the first ecological improvement. That's freaking stupid.

Yes, I called you stupid. Quit staring at me with that pale blue eye, it's annoying.

And ... we don't get Radiated landings. That would have been real nice. There's an outside chance we might have been able to do something with those two systems, but now they will only be of use to the Silicoids.

I'm going back for +30M Terraforming, as it's the most cost-effective here. Soil Enrichment actually wouldn't do as much for us, while +40 Terraforming is just slightly better and over twice the cost. Time to switch over to the reduced waste job now.

Already our homeworld has gone from spending almost half it's income on waste cleanup to this. Incredible. That's low enough that I decide to go back to normal research investment instead of crashing the reduced waste project. It'll come in it's due time, and there are other things we need.

We've got Darrian, the last colony, maxed out for industry and managed to re-up trade deals from 250 to 550 each. There's really nothing else to do though but stay turtling. Research as much as we can while continuing to build up our defenses, and hope to eventually do something in whatever conflict eventually breaks out.

In other words, we're waiting for the Psilons to decide it's time to eliminate the 'lesser races'. Thankfully that time has not yet come.

2445. This is more or less useless now as we have little reason to build ships. Keeping the Silicoids away from those rich planets isn't really compelling. Might be better for us they got them. Not sure what to take next so I just go with cheapest advancement, and that's the Energy Pulsar.

Meanwhile GNN informs us that our fleet sucks(last). Duh.

It's back to Zygot v. Smurch.

Not by much though. Granid staying on the sidelines could well mean a hung Council.

They are such close friends of Zygot, I'm glad they are tiny.

Allies recently, so this was foregone.

15 votes. 50% more than the Bulrathi, who are closest. Soon they will point at things with vague indifference, and those things will run in terror if not die instantly at the mere thought of the Psilon gaze.

For now though, we are able to take our whopping four votes and curry favor with the Psilons.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode VII: 2450-2475

Production is as good as it's going to get here. I think we may be gaining on the Silicoids in research; we're at least up to half what they have, which is half what the Psilons have. After our support in the council, the frontrunners are not stupid enough to sign an alliance but we do get a Non-Aggression Pact with them. The more they like us, the longer we survive.

Trade is steadily heading in the right direction, while our bases are the only significant drain on the economy and not that much of one. Meklar production FTW there. I'm up to the standard amount on each system for our current, pathetic, tech level.

Speaking of which, we'll be getting a few more items in soon. The Mass Driver that we no longer really care about looks next; the planetary shield and reduced waste are probably the most important.

Very next year, a small bit of luck. Graviton or Stinger for the next tier, and naturally we go with the missiles. All the better to die slightly slower with if(when) we are attacked. After the battle computer came in, the only option was the Advanced Space Scanner. We're overdue for more Robotics, and that's supposed to be our strength so I'm annoyed at the lack of them.

Fast and furious they come, this is a third advancement in four years. I may well come back for the Repulsor beam, as it's always nice to have that option for some potential to neutralize certain enemy designs. Like, say, keeping bombers away from a planet. For now though, it'll be the Class V Shield. Now it's time for Planetary Shields everywhere. Silicoids already have them, Psilons have the second one. Time for us to join the modern galaxy. The larger systems, Meklon and Crypto, only require a couple years for this.

2459. Really?? This is the third major negative event this game. They've all hit us. Never mind how our computer proficiency should make us better at resisting such things. If it weren't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all.

Mid-60s now. We'll hit Zortrium next for our first Armor improvement. Ecology spending is now pretty minimal, and we'll see a corresponding boost in research. I try again for a Psilon alliance, and fail.

2469, and the Energy Pulsar arrives. Who cares. However, this range boost, the only forward option, will get us contact with more empires. It's past time for that. We need every advantage we can get.

Stingers(15 damage) coming in are a big deal. They can do some harm to almost any ship. The torpedoes are next, as they can serve the same purpose on an actual combat vessel; in sufficient numbers(which we'd never be able to afford), even the Psilons might be slightly concerned. Hilariously, our egghead friends are already building stargates.

The end is nigh. The Psilons are on the attack, at war with(at least) the Silicoids, Bulrathi, and Humans. They've decided it's time to crush the galaxy.

The next year we snag the Advanced Space Scanner ... and have only another Battle Computer(VII, up from V) to work on next. 13 systems, a full quarter of the galaxy, are scouted and then it's time to vote again.

Zygot and Smurch again. Now everyone will vote against the Psilons, and it won't matter in the slightest.

** Bulrathi(10)
** Darloks(2) -- They stay with Zygot
** Humans(2) -- Looks like they've already lost ground.
** Psilons(18) -- And they grow. and Grow. AND GROW.

It's split 20-20 as it comes to our four votes, which we pointlessly cast in favor of Zygot again. He's now immune to being cast out even if everyone else unites against him. The one question remaining; how many will die before the galaxy surrenders to the inevitable?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yikes.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

You mentioned you got a spy hit on the Psilons; might've been a good time to post their tech summary so we can look for weaknesses. You're going to have to go on offense to have a chance at all*, and when they're at war with everyone else is a great time (not because they'll win, but because the Psilon fleets will be busy bombing out the other civs' planets). I also would've switched to Espionage at that point, since it's clear you're not going to win diplomatically against them. That being said, everybody agrees some Impossible maps are unwinnable, and Psilons across the galaxy so you can't stomp them out early are probably the biggest contributor. Getting all those negative events didn't help, that's for sure! :v:

As far as tech choices, Psilons favor Large ships, which are dangerous but tend to be a little under-equipped compared to battleships. The best counter to those are swarm tactics, and as a result in your position I would've gone with the Megabolt Cannon, since it's small enough you can put it on fighters and it future-proofs well thanks to the +3 to hit. That's also why a tech report would've been good, to see if the Psilons had anything to counter your plans (like if they have Autoblasters or something).

* Having said that, you don't have the bomb tech to get their planets either, right? :sweatdrop: You can still find planets of theirs without a ton of bases and go overkill on invasion transports (if you do do suicide runs, note that single big waves are much better than multiple small ones, because bases get to attack each invading group separately!) and try to get some planets and tech that way. Once you have the advanced scanners, you can monitor their new planets and hit them when they're at about 50% full on factories, that's probably the best time to invade for "pointy stick research" before they start maxing bases. Your ground combat tech's probably bad too, though....

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot. If you're in the situation I assume you're in now (where you don't have any openings against the leader, and still don't want to give up), you can always backstab one other civ at a time and take their stuff to bulk up for a confrontation later. I've turned around some games that way, but you really have to pick your moment carefully.

Wayne fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 23, 2017

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

drat. I don't know why the game has such a raging hard-on for screwing you over this time. If computer skill is supposed to stop this, and you have better computer skill with this race... is it bugged and works the opposite as intended?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The universe hates our cybernetic heretics.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The game really has it out for you, Thotimx! How many events are left to fire? We haven't had a sun start going nova yet, right?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

I think Thot was quipping about how Meklar of all... people (well, you know) should be resistant to computer viruses. But just like how Silicoids can draw the Plague event, the game doesn't care about that. :v:

You are right about it being bugged, though. I don't remember if it was the manual or the OSG, but apparently the game is supposed to weight events based on your empire's production (so the more successful you are, the more likely you are to get hit by something) and empires with 4 planets or smaller are immune (so you can't get "strangled in the crib" by, say, a plague on your only built-up planet...). But neither of those things are factored in, it's completely random (except theorized that it gets weighted against the player at the general difficulty handicap (ie, x4 on Impossible), but nobody found evidence for that one). I imagine it's simply that the player gets 50% of events, good or bad (but 80% are bad), and the rest are divided up among the AIs, which at least anecdotally feels about right.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The game really has it out for you, Thotimx! How many events are left to fire? We haven't had a sun start going nova yet, right?

Meklon can go Mineral Poor, and that one's permanent! :suicide: The radiation spill would be fun too, since Controlled Radiated isn't in Thot's tree.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Randalor posted:

If computer skill is supposed to stop this, and you have better computer skill with this race... is it bugged and works the opposite as intended?

Nah, no gameplay reason; was just doing a bit of RP about a computer-based race getting hit with a computer virus. As said by others, game doesn't care and treats any race I play the same for event purposes.

Wayne posted:

You're going to have to go on offense to have a chance at all*,

Another well-written collection of thoughts. I didn't even look much at what the Psilons had, because I was going for the 'spoils of war' idea. Either take out some of the others they were fighting(at this point that looked like Silicoids), or sneak in and colonize a planet before anyone else could, much like what I did with Humans. Personally I've found going after the big dog in these situations too often ends up in them just kicking your arse and leaving the other enemies alone. It is, as you pointed out, a delicate thing and sometimes a Catch-22, but that's what I was aiming at.

Wayne posted:

I also would've switched to Espionage at that point,

My approach has always been that it's hard enough to succeed in espionage on Impossible when you aren't like 20+ tech-levels down in Computing. That seemed to be like a real good way to waste credits IMO.

I don't think this is an unwinnable map. It's more of this ...

General Revil posted:

The universe hates our cybernetic heretics.

combined with not getting Radiated Landings.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it'll be interesting to see what the other races look like in terms of production and fleet strength when you can make contact with them. usually the big dog will knock out a critical rival and win that way - getting into a 3 front war is pretty surprising.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Episode VII: 2475-2500

I'm now convinced we are slowly catching the rocks in technology. I'm also quite sure it's not going to really matter.

Finally almost to our first terraforming, which will at least allow us to make better use of what systems we do have.

The next year, the Psilons do indeed take Tyr from the Silicoids, the first of what I'm sure will be many conquests. I am shocked to see this in 2478 ...

We've repeatedly offered and been refused. But this is an easy acceptance. We figure to possibly at least be the last race they conquer.

The Silicoids have retaken Tyr, though more battles will come there soon. We can pretty much guarantee that we'll be at war with the rocks soon. While we have no ships, there are no bases protecting the system. If we can get transports there before the Psilons do somehow, we just might be able to steal the system. A small chance is worth risking at this stage, given that we are doomed in the long run anyway.

We send transports immediately.

This is a surprise. They must have gotten better range. Not too friendly -- the Bulrathi are Xenophobic Ecologists and at war with the Darlok/Psilons, which means we're going to war with them sooner or later. No point in setting up trade here. They're almost as large as the Silicoids and more advanced, so they are definitely not to be trifled with.

In 2481, our transports and the Psilons arrive at Tyr at the same time. We sent ours first, but theirs are faster. They had control of the airspace. I had no idea what would happen in terms of who gets to attack first.

:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nML7t5A73-w
:siren:

Turns out it was us, but .... I couldn't have gotten any more troops there this fast anyway. The Psilons took over after we were defeated. That's a rather hilarious situation. No ground tech advances for us yet, so we lose 67 while taking out just 17. Oh well.

Meanwhile we do get Terraforming +30 and start in on the +40M option next. And contact is broken with the Bulrathi. It was nice knowing you for like a year, maybe two.

Class V Deflectors, and I don't care ... but the next tier of Planetary Shields I very much do care about. It's also the only forward option.

Technically we're not at war, but they are understandably cheesed off at our attack on Tyr. This is in the late 80s. Not particularly concerned about losing that weapon, but I respond with the usual investment in Security.

It'll probably be a bit before we get anything else in. Almost 200 years to our first armor improvement.

We have all three options up next; Industrial Tech 5, Armored Exoskeleton, Reduced Waste 40%. Not much difference in price, so I go with the cheaper factories.

2493: Battle Computer Mk. VII arrives. Still no robotics. MK VIII is the only option.

The year before the end of the century. It was inevitable.

Zygot and Smurch are still tops, Psilons vs. Bulrathis.

Both small, insignificant races split their support.

Almost half of the population belongs to the eggheads. As for us, we are +1 this round to 5, making us even with the Silicoids at a distant third. We vote for our ally Zygot, making the final count 25-16.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Will you ally with the inevitable winner? Or will your sudden but inevitable betrayal cost then the throne of Orion when the time is right?

General Revil fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 26, 2017

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

General Revil posted:

Will you ally with the inevitable winner? Or will your sudden but inevitable betrayal cost then the their of Orion when the time is right?

It's definitely the first one. If there's a betrayal, the Meklars are turbofucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

It's actually a very good question. The answer lies buried in the unknown future.