Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Also glad I went in having heard (not a plot spoiler) it was so joke heavy. I might have reacted to that poorly like so many others as you go into this expecting the opposite.

But was it, even? Like this is a series where there's always a mix, and I wouldn't really see this as more joke heavy than any other installment. It's not like Thor: Ragnarok. Like, you get some business with the Porgs, Luke's bit with the fern is kinda like Yoda's clowning in ESB, a tiny bit of banter, I don't think it's a LOT of humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

trash person posted:

but based on your post one of the things i'm potentially most excited about for episode IX is Rey building herself a lightsaber please let this happen

Seeing as how we saw the exposed kyber crystal from Anakin's now broken saber, I'm hoping she fashions it to her staff and makes a saber similar to Maul's :getin:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

euphronius posted:

You should retry the prequels (well aotc and rots) of you like tlj. Those two movies reward careful viewing.

I rewatched before TFA two years ago. Still hate ‘em.

I wrote out a big post why and deleted it because I know this thread has a big ol’ boner for them, but yeah, still think they’re trash-tier after rewatching as an adult.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

I rewatched before TFA two years ago. Still hate ‘em.

I wrote out a big post why and deleted it because I know this thread has a big ol’ boner for them, but yeah, still think they’re trash-tier after rewatching as an adult.

Fair enough

They aren't for everyone. My wife loves 7 and 8 but thinks the prequels are Telemundo soaps.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Fair enough

They aren't for everyone. My wife loves 7 and 8 but thinks the prequels are Telemundo soaps.

So she thinks they're REALLY awesome?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

So she thinks they're REALLY awesome?

I know right.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

But was it, even? Like this is a series where there's always a mix, and I wouldn't really see this as more joke heavy than any other installment. It's not like Thor: Ragnarok. Like, you get some business with the Porgs, Luke's bit with the fern is kinda like Yoda's clowning in ESB, a tiny bit of banter, I don't think it's a LOT of humor.

There’s literal, on purpose slapstick with Chewie and the porgs. A Resistance fighter licks the ground and grimaces saying IT’S SALT just missing staring into the camera at the audience. Luke’s suddenly a smartass. The blue milk weird cow alien. Multiple instances of the exasperated caretakers. There’s loads of BB-8 jokes and even Rose and Finn basically playing at the camera when he comes out piloting an AT-ST. There’s lots of very much purposeful jokes in the dead middle of what are otherwise very dramatic scenes.

TLJ is very much the most heavy in the series for that stuff.

e: not that that’s a bad thing, either, I’m just glad I knew about the tone going in.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

Chill out, it's just a Star Wars movie, enjoy yourself.

Let's make this the new thread title

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

There’s literal, on purpose slapstick with Chewie and the porgs. A Resistance fighter licks the ground and grimaces saying IT’S SALT just missing staring into the camera at the audience. Luke’s suddenly a smartass. The blue milk weird cow alien. Multiple instances of the exasperated caretakers. There’s loads of BB-8 jokes and even Rose and Finn basically playing at the camera when he comes out piloting an AT-ST. There’s lots of very much purposeful jokes in the dead middle of what are otherwise very dramatic scenes.

The Porgs are part of a very long tradition of small cute things doing slapstick. You have the Ughnaughts playing keep away, Pit Droids, Jawas, Ewoks, it's a rich and proud history. Luke being the smartass is, as I said, kinda like Yoda being the same.

Like even when Han is about to get carbon frozen in Empire, 3P0 is riding on Chewie's back and bitching about not being able to see what's happening. That's a joke. That's humor. This is not new.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crosspostin’ from GBS.

Thinking about seeing Last Jedi tonight. Is it worth it to see it in 3D versus regular 2D? Also what the gently caress is the difference between RealD 3D and BigD, because one of my local theaters is showing both?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Maxwell Lord posted:

There was literally the same type of joke in both the beginning of Thor: Ragnarok and this film. Thor, when tied up, interrupting the big bad flame guy and having him restart his story was more or less the same as Poe trolling Hux to give his same villainous speech. I hated the gag the first time around.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Crosspostin’ from GBS.

Thinking about seeing Last Jedi tonight. Is it worth it to see it in 3D versus regular 2D? Also what the gently caress is the difference between RealD 3D and BigD, because one of my local theaters is showing both?

I saw it in 3D and nothing stuck out to me as particularly cool about it.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Movie owned. Luke owns. Porgs own.

More collected thoughts later, since I just finished seeing it. But I'm coming out of this one with a much better feeling than I did from TFA.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like the entire ethos of the film was "whatever you think is going to happen... the opposite happens." The film goes through a lot of trouble to structure itself to be Empire Strikes Back only for the ending to reveal that you were watching a Return of the Jedi remake the whole time. And then that's completely undermined. Rey isn't part of some grand legacy, she's space white trash. The big Empire device used to destroy the rebel base actually goes off this time. The AT-AT walkers that were once menacing Goliath for Luke to outwit now mean nothing to him. The expected repeated strike me down line is replaced with a line that honestly speaks more to the human reality of what it means to hate someone than being space magic. Space Hilary Clinton actually is right in the end. If The Force Awakens was a remake, this was a remix. It tells a new story using elements you already know and opens things up. People walked in expecting this trilogy's Empire to get both Empire and Jedi in one film. The title was probably a clue regarding that. All in all, we are left with an ending where all the beats of the previous trilogy have been met and evil won anyway.

I think it was an enjoyable movie that challenged itself more than it had to and ultimately made Star Wars a more complex and weird world.

I really would love to see a Saga movie from Johnson.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Saw this on my twitter timeline. Thought it was a nice catch.
https://twitter.com/kyleauxren/status/942516563730722817

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

teagone posted:

But it's somehow both impossible and not exactly 'new' if it existed thirty years ago. :confused:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Don't think it existed or had been manufactured yet. Just the theoretical schematics for it maybe. Look at how long it took the Death Star to be built; its plans originated during the Clone Wars.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

teagone posted:

:aaa: Holy crap, that is awesome.

I liked TLJ, overall, probably because I am 100% on board with the ideas of of both the new heroes and the new filmmakers letting go of the baggage of the past and creating something new. I suspect that's probably the main reason this movie is proving to be so divisive - if you're in favor of that idea, you probably liked the movie, and if not, you probably didn't like it.

My favorite thing was Luke kicking rear end and, as has been pointed out on this forum already, going out on his own terms. That reveal that he had been using Force TelePresence was epic, and I loved it.

Also, :same: to everything Timeless Appeal said above.

PurpleButterfly fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 18, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I'm glad I wasn't spoiled for that part. Amazing .

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really loved this movie! :)

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I can't wait for this to come out on home media. There are going to be some fantastic screenshots.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Yeah that brought the theatre down when I saw it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This movie was so much better than TFA, it depresses me that Abrams is doing 9.

Also, mutherfookin' Vyvyan from The Young Ones was in this!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Arist posted:

I really loved this movie! :)

The more I sit and read reviews and articles on it after the fact the more I’m coming around to love it too.

I get the complaints about the stuff not related to the main plot, but yeah, Rian Johnson did a hell of a thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

euphronius posted:

Yeah I'm glad I wasn't spoiled for that part. Amazing .

A good chunk of the audience I was with were clapping and hollering when Luke did the brush off motion after all the AT-AT blasts and then when it was revealed he was projecting a Force hologram the whole time the theater went loving nuts. It was an awesome experience. Definitely will remember that.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Porgs are part of a very long tradition of small cute things doing slapstick. You have the Ughnaughts playing keep away, Pit Droids, Jawas, Ewoks, it's a rich and proud history. Luke being the smartass is, as I said, kinda like Yoda being the same.

Like even when Han is about to get carbon frozen in Empire, 3P0 is riding on Chewie's back and bitching about not being able to see what's happening. That's a joke. That's humor. This is not new.

Objection! Nobody likes the Ughnaughts.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

teagone posted:

A good chunk of the audience I was with were clapping and hollering when Luke did the brush off motion after all the AT-AT blasts and then when it was revealed he was projecting a Force hologram the whole time the theater went loving nuts. It was an awesome experience. Definitely will remember that.

Yeah I thought he reached some higher level of Jedi kung fu . He had tho but not in that way. The best was he was "merely" a symbol !! Which tied the whole movie together. The real Luke died alone on a forgotten rock. The symbol of of Luke saved the day. But for what end ?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I wish they woulda left Luke alone. He had a simple and satisfying character arc in the OT and it feels muddled a bit now.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who did vyvyan play

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Objection! Nobody likes the Ughnaughts.

Nobody dislikes them either.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

teagone posted:

Also got a big clap for Rey tossing the saber to Kylo and him poking the Imperial Guard's eye out. Seeing this on Friday night with a mostly full theater was such a good call.

By contrast, the kamikaze hyperspace ram left the whole theater speechless.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Same except the girl next to me scoffed and muttered how dumb it is to clap in the movie to her friend every single time. It was goddamn annoying. She was quietly yelling at people for clapping during the preview.

She also would throw her hands up constantly and talk to her friend about porgs every time they came on screen.

This wouldn't have been an issue if the seats weren't so drat close. She was locked inside my peripherals.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Who did vyvyan play

He was Second in command? of the First Order, the officer Hux kept talking to.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Same except the girl next to me scoffed and muttered how dumb it is to clap in the movie to her friend every single time. It was goddamn annoying. She was quietly yelling at people for clapping during the preview.

She also would throw her hands up constantly and talk to her friend about porgs every time they came on screen.

This wouldn't have been an issue if the seats weren't so drat close. She was locked inside my peripherals.

Nerd movies at theaters are always a pretty big social risk of someone attempting to ruin it for people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't know why she was there if she hated nerds being nerds so much. I think she was just into porgs tbh.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Porgs were amazing. Went in wanting to hate them too.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Same except the girl next to me scoffed and muttered how dumb it is to clap in the movie to her friend every single time.

I'm sorry but she's right.

(Clapping at films is either an American thing or a midnight screening thing. Possibly both. I have been to see Disney's Star Wars films 5 times in cinemas, among many other films. and I have never heard clapping. I also never go to midnight screenings so that might be it.)

RememberYourMantra
Dec 5, 2005

Don't Have Negative Thoughts

Pillbug

Yaws posted:

I wish they woulda left Luke alone. He had a simple and satisfying character arc in the OT and it feels muddled a bit now.

I loved that they turned him into a failed revolutionary full of self-doubt straight out of Russian Literature... or Paul Atreides from Dune and its sequels. The "idea" of Luke is more important than the man himself.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Here in the UK I've never experienced clapping and hollering during a film thankfully, though the closest was Paranormal Activity 3 when the entire cinema turned into an episode of MST3k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

euphronius posted:

Porgs were amazing. Went in wanting to hate them too.

Chewie killing and cooking a few of them was great