Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

alias gityolo='git commit -am "DEAL WITH IT" && git push -f origin master'

Wow, look at this loving scrub. Here, let me fix this for you.

[alias]
yolo = !"git add -A; git commit -am \"$(echo $(curl -s http://whatthecommit.com/index.txt)\" (http://whatthecommit.com)\")\" && git push -f origin master";

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

*in middle aged computer voice* back when i was young, there were no problems learning things

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Also I use git at work with gitlab. Every once in a great while I will use git-bfg to clean out the repo, but our repo has a huge amount of binary files and people can't seem to use git-lfs correctly ever.

Other than that, gitlab is cool and good and a great web-frontend for git that should always be used. It destroys github and bitbucket, that's for sure.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

Also I use git at work with gitlab. Every once in a great while I will use git-bfg to clean out the repo, but our repo has a huge amount of binary files and people can't seem to use git-lfs correctly ever.

Other than that, gitlab is cool and good and a great web-frontend for git that should always be used. It destroys github and bitbucket, that's for sure.

we use it at my new work so im slowly learning whats and how in gitlab - ive used mostly bitbucket before, and some github, and now i have administrate our departmental gitlab (and "train" people to use git (what to click in sourcetree to save sql scripts to ~le butt~))

mildly uncomfortable to host any important projects on gitlab.com after that backup fiasco, and i sure as hell wont self-host it for my personal needs

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i use bitbucket because github makes you pay for private repos. the issue tracking is kinda poo poo because they want to sell you jira but otherwise it seems fine. what does gitlab do that's better?

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

gitlab is better at deleting your data, supporting gamergate, and freezing browsers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Soricidus posted:

i use bitbucket because github makes you pay for private repos. the issue tracking is kinda poo poo because they want to sell you jira but otherwise it seems fine. what does gitlab do that's better?

for personal projects the issue tracker seems to be needs suiting

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gitlab is open sores github

it seems ok but the deployment process is just a big pile of what the gently caress. it's written in a mix of three languages and there are two canonical ways to deploy it:

1. docker lol
2. git clone their repository and then create some gitignored config files right there in that checkout

also it expects to be launched from sysvinit in tyool almost 2018 so you can bet the authors have Systemd Opinions

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

gah, I figured out how to print debug info to the screen to figure out why my flat shading is hosed up and apparently I’ve got some calculation issue where the polygon Z changes when X changes? that shouldn’t be happening

it could be one of several matrixes that are wrong, or the matrix*vector operation results, or...

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Sapozhnik posted:

gitlab is open sores github

it seems ok but the deployment process is just a big pile of what the gently caress. it's written in a mix of three languages and there are two canonical ways to deploy it:

1. docker lol
2. git clone their repository and then create some gitignored config files right there in that checkout

also it expects to be launched from sysvinit in tyool almost 2018 so you can bet the authors have Systemd Opinions

if you want to deploy it as a docker (highly recommended) here's the config i use. the runner auto-registers without you having to do anything, and all the stuff is saved under a folder in the host so it's easy to backup:

code:
    gitlab:
        image: gitlab/gitlab-ce        
        restart: always

environment:
            GITLAB_SHARED_RUNNERS_REGISTRATION_TOKEN: ${GITLAB_TOKEN}
            GITLAB_OMNIBUS_CONFIG: |
              external_url 'http://${MACHINE_URL}:${GITLAB_PORT}'
            # Add any other gitlab configuration poo poo here, like email accounts and whatnot

ports:
            - ${GITLAB_PORT}:${GITLAB_PORT}
            - 443:443
            - 22:22

volumes:
            - ${DOCKER_BINDS}/gitlab/config:/etc/gitlab
            - ${DOCKER_BINDS}/gitlab/logs:/var/log/gitlab
            - ${DOCKER_BINDS}/gitlab/data:/var/opt/gitlab

gitlab_runner:
        image: sgillespie/gitlab-runner
        restart: always

depends_on: [gitlab]
        links: [gitlab]

environment:        
            CI_SERVER_URL: [url]http://[/url]${MACHINE_URL}:${GITLAB_PORT}
            DOCKER_IMAGE: mono:latest # Shouldn't really matter as you can override this in the gitlab-ci.yaml file
            DOCKER_VOLUMES: /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
            DOCKER_NETWORK_MODE: bridge
            DOCKER_EXTRA_HOSTS: gitlab:${MACHINE_URL}
            REGISTRATION_TOKEN: ${GITLAB_TOKEN}
            RUNNER_EXECUTOR: docker
            RUNNER_TOKEN: ${GITLAB_RUNNER_TOKEN}

volumes:        
            - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
            - ${DOCKER_BINDS}/gitlab-runner/config:/etc/gitlab-runner

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Luigi Thirty posted:

gah, I figured out how to print debug info to the screen to figure out why my flat shading is hosed up and apparently I’ve got some calculation issue where the polygon Z changes when X changes? that shouldn’t be happening

it could be one of several matrixes that are wrong, or the matrix*vector operation results, or...

that definitely sounds like a math error. goonspeed

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
just hosed up a deployment. it was number 219

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

gitlab is github for poors

it bad

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

gitlab is github for poors

it bad

yeahhh i’ll just keep using bitbucket. i have enough things to janitor, why add one more?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

tef posted:

nah we called them conflicts

yeah but merge conflicts are also the same problem in git, thats just a scm problem not specific to any specific one

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jony neuemonic posted:

yeahhh i’ll just keep using bitbucket. i have enough things to janitor, why add one more?

bitbucket ftw

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Valeyard posted:

yeah but merge conflicts are also the same problem in git, thats just a scm problem not specific to any specific one

ime i get fewer merge conflicts in git than svn or tfs and spend a lot less time janitoring chevrons

been a few years but when i worked a lot with svn it wasn't uncommon for branches to die of neglect just because they were too much hassle to merge

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

DaTroof posted:

ime i get fewer merge conflicts in git than svn or tfs and spend a lot less time janitoring chevrons

been a few years but when i worked a lot with svn it wasn't uncommon for branches to die of neglect just because they were too much hassle to merge

never had to fix permissions errors with git

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Valeyard posted:

When I used SVN I had massive issues to merge simple changes in branches to the trunk. Such branch merges in git would have taken like a few seconds.

One time when my coworker did a big refactoring, he then pulled the latest code and it absolutely clobbered his current changes. He also couldn't go back to where he was before when it was all working locally.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Merge conflicts don't happen to me often enough for me to care a lot about it, but I still don't understand how conflict resolution works with git mergetool - no matter which merge tool I use. Most times I wind up making one of them look like the version I want, but then it will inevitably complain about something and it's a whole :psyduck: with trash files in the directory until I just abort the merge and try to redo it but just hand-edit the conflicts.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

comedyblissoption posted:

When I used SVN I had massive issues to merge simple changes in branches to the trunk. Such branch merges in git would have taken like a few seconds.

One time when my coworker did a big refactoring, he then pulled the latest code and it absolutely clobbered his current changes. He also couldn't go back to where he was before when it was all working locally.

i see that kind of problem with git as well, far too frequently

svn is bad

git is bad

everything is bad

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Colonel Taint posted:

Merge conflicts don't happen to me often enough for me to care a lot about it, but I still don't understand how conflict resolution works with git mergetool - no matter which merge tool I use. Most times I wind up making one of them look like the version I want, but then it will inevitably complain about something and it's a whole :psyduck: with trash files in the directory until I just abort the merge and try to redo it but just hand-edit the conflicts.
A 3-way GUI merge tool like P4Merge helps a lot. You see your changes, someone else's changes, and importantly what happened before anyone's changes.

3-way merge is a lot better than 2-way merge.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eschaton posted:

is your system producing a single deliverable product? how many independent components is it built from?

I work on a large product with contributions from a large number of teams, not something that lives in a single repository and builds a single executable, so daily builds provide a useful synchronization point for everyone

yeah it’s a single product although it’s multiple install images across the supported operating environment. interesting that people mention downstream embedded adopting daily—all our embedders/stack products wait until the quarterly release is gm before picking it up, but it’s an application server so maybe there’s a difference there

thanks all

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
if you're having merge issues your branches are either a) too complex, or b) living too long

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
gitlab is written in ruby and about as slow as you'd expect. dont except it to even start at sub 4gb ram

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
that sounds like ops's problem to me fam

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Maximum Leader posted:

gitlab is written in ruby and about as slow as you'd expect. dont except it to even start at sub 4gb ram

yeech. and i feel iffy about each of my JVMs taking up 300MB of RAM (ORMs lol)

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

Valeyard posted:

has it been so long since you've used svn that you've forgotten what it was like?

I think for the 5 years I used svn, there was not one single instance of branching/merging working. I'm not talking about merge conflicts. I mean what svn called merge conflicts, but were just svn being svn.

one time I had reason to branch off a branch, and I think it opened up a portal to hell

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
I don't think I've yet used git for as long as I used svn, but I've definitely had to do weird poo poo like delete trunk in svn and mess around with svn-props more than I've had to blow away clones in git.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my worst git crime is semi-recurrent

code:
git rm -r --cached . 
git add .
git commit -am "Removes ignored files"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i updated visual studio code this morning and it complained that git wasn't installed

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Thanks to gitlab GitHub has finals been adding new and good features. Thanks gitlab, I can keep not using you!

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/929389759624916992

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

obviously Carmack should really write his own DVCS

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

carmack has outed himself as a libertarian shitrobot so no danger of that on my part!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL that he sold id Software to Bethesda and then quit to go do VR poo poo at Occulus/Facebook. And now that the VR gold rush is over, welp :laugh:

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 18, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
VR is probably a more interesting problem and its gonna get more popular as the processing power gets cheaper.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also theres a company that has a wireless conversion thing for the vive coming out that looks rad as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
my afternoon started with an innocent question about stack sizes, this has horrifically led to a meeting being scheduled 2 days out

• Locked thread